Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Diacritics in dragon names
1 2 3 4 5
Support!
Support!
youtriedstar.png
characters from different alphabets would be super beneficial to multilingual and non-english speaking users. full support for this!
characters from different alphabets would be super beneficial to multilingual and non-english speaking users. full support for this!
wishlist
he/kit
xenogender
trans
transmasc

arospec
rosboy
gay
ace

catgender
Adorable Arcane Hatchery! you should listen to them... NOW!!! Coatl Swirls! semi-verbal
autistic
bird dad
please ping!!!
FR+2
Support! It would feel very inclusive for people who don't speak english that well. We would need an overaul of the profanity* filter at the same time, of course, but that should already be done regardless of if this suggestion is made a reality or not - considering that it's quite easy to bypass it now...

* I'm including swears, slurs and overall very offensive words in this.

To be honest though, I feel like bad actors who just want to be edgy and offensive will always find a way to bypass any system. The people who will use diacritics to be offensive are people who, I feel, already know how to bypass the current system. Adding diacritics won't make people who don't do this suddenly start doing it.
Support! It would feel very inclusive for people who don't speak english that well. We would need an overaul of the profanity* filter at the same time, of course, but that should already be done regardless of if this suggestion is made a reality or not - considering that it's quite easy to bypass it now...

* I'm including swears, slurs and overall very offensive words in this.

To be honest though, I feel like bad actors who just want to be edgy and offensive will always find a way to bypass any system. The people who will use diacritics to be offensive are people who, I feel, already know how to bypass the current system. Adding diacritics won't make people who don't do this suddenly start doing it.
I would LOVE for diacritics to be allowed in dragon names, there are so many different language words that it would be wonderful to be able to include in dragon names.

That said, I know that the reason we're not allowed diacritics (or numbers) in names because it would be just another way people could get around censors.
If it's possible for the filtering system to be improved in a way that better catches inappropriate names without having to either individually ban every bad name or unfairly banning wide swathes of innocent names (like banning the word Ambassador because it contains another more crude word) then fantastic, but I imagine that's a complicated thing to create.
I would LOVE for diacritics to be allowed in dragon names, there are so many different language words that it would be wonderful to be able to include in dragon names.

That said, I know that the reason we're not allowed diacritics (or numbers) in names because it would be just another way people could get around censors.
If it's possible for the filtering system to be improved in a way that better catches inappropriate names without having to either individually ban every bad name or unfairly banning wide swathes of innocent names (like banning the word Ambassador because it contains another more crude word) then fantastic, but I imagine that's a complicated thing to create.
Filters and censors aren't really like. a valid reason for excluding diacritics in names. There are tons of other websites that have diacritics and filtering at the same time, and most filtering programs are not diacritic sensitive anyways. Obviously it could take work to implement if the back end coding is diacritic sensitive, but all new features take work.

I just don't think people should be unable to accurately represent their language because others could potentially use it to get around the filters. There will always be ways to get around filters, no matter how good they are and regardless of whether diacritics are allowed or not. Non-English speakers shouldn't be denied the 'privilege' to type their language just because someone might abuse it. Diacritics are already allowed in the forums chat and people could also abuse it there.

I don't see it likely that diacritics would be added, but it was a suggestion I wanted to make. I just don't want its exclusion to be justified with the fact that it could be used to say something inappropriate, as if the ability to censor curse words is more important than being able to give my dragon a name in my language. Diacritics are first and foremost ways to represent my language and through that my culture, and they should be viewed as such, not just as a potential tool for English speakers to abuse.
Filters and censors aren't really like. a valid reason for excluding diacritics in names. There are tons of other websites that have diacritics and filtering at the same time, and most filtering programs are not diacritic sensitive anyways. Obviously it could take work to implement if the back end coding is diacritic sensitive, but all new features take work.

I just don't think people should be unable to accurately represent their language because others could potentially use it to get around the filters. There will always be ways to get around filters, no matter how good they are and regardless of whether diacritics are allowed or not. Non-English speakers shouldn't be denied the 'privilege' to type their language just because someone might abuse it. Diacritics are already allowed in the forums chat and people could also abuse it there.

I don't see it likely that diacritics would be added, but it was a suggestion I wanted to make. I just don't want its exclusion to be justified with the fact that it could be used to say something inappropriate, as if the ability to censor curse words is more important than being able to give my dragon a name in my language. Diacritics are first and foremost ways to represent my language and through that my culture, and they should be viewed as such, not just as a potential tool for English speakers to abuse.
Support! I would love to be able to give dragons their real intended name, with accents, since it changes the pronunciation too! As a french speaker, it would be wonderful to be allowed more characters in names
Support! I would love to be able to give dragons their real intended name, with accents, since it changes the pronunciation too! As a french speaker, it would be wonderful to be allowed more characters in names
5hF3FGk.png
gPwtjqg.png
a922ec5c573bccc1d57aef84d78cfa19067bc414.png 71e09b42cae1da0e3bce33c48764c15f1b5af3ac.png he/him
french
tiny
kE8PZoU.png
bYt72YT.png
ZA25l2S.png
oczO35g.png
I'd always assumed that the lack of diacritics was to prevent people from being able to name their dragons offensive stuff in languages that the staff isn't fluent in and therefore would be unable to fairly moderate.

I mean it makes as much sense to me as how there's a bunch of innocent words and common names that can't be used as dragon names so I just figured that the staff didn't want to try and come up with banned names in languages that they don't even know.

So I guess I'd support this if there was a way for the staff to fairly and knowledgeably expand the list of banned names to catch actual problems without also having a bunch of ordinary names and words get banned as well.
I'd always assumed that the lack of diacritics was to prevent people from being able to name their dragons offensive stuff in languages that the staff isn't fluent in and therefore would be unable to fairly moderate.

I mean it makes as much sense to me as how there's a bunch of innocent words and common names that can't be used as dragon names so I just figured that the staff didn't want to try and come up with banned names in languages that they don't even know.

So I guess I'd support this if there was a way for the staff to fairly and knowledgeably expand the list of banned names to catch actual problems without also having a bunch of ordinary names and words get banned as well.
I don't think filters is a good excuse for excluding diacritics in names as I briefly read from some of the replies in here. Like I get it that there already is a problem with names getting around the current filter but that doesn't mean you should be in favor of them excluding diacritics that allow the site to be inclusive to other languages.

TLDR; Support
I don't think filters is a good excuse for excluding diacritics in names as I briefly read from some of the replies in here. Like I get it that there already is a problem with names getting around the current filter but that doesn't mean you should be in favor of them excluding diacritics that allow the site to be inclusive to other languages.

TLDR; Support
i3VCiEO.png
ALL THEY SEE IS A SHADOW
SHE/HER
G1 LAIR
FR +2
[quote name="xanzaina" date="2024-04-12 17:50:08" ] I just don't think people should be unable to accurately represent their language because others could potentially use it to get around the filters. There will always be ways to get around filters, no matter how good they are and regardless of whether diacritics are allowed or not. Non-English speakers shouldn't be denied the 'privilege' to type their language just because someone might abuse it. Diacritics are already allowed in the forums chat and people could also abuse it there. [/quote] Took the words right out of my mouth! The profanity filter is honestly a different topic entirely, and while i see where people are coming from with concerns in including diacritics... I also don't think it's an excuse to "punish" human diversity just because of some people will misuse it. There's a report system specifically when people get around the filter anyway. Plus, as OP put it, trying to name dragons with names and terms without the diacritics can actually result in words with entirely different meanings and potentially unintentional profanity anyway. So we actually have the profanity issue in [i]two directions[/i], so including diacritics will at least fix half of it while the other half will remain unaffected unless the team work on an improved filter system or just rely on user reports. Overall support!
xanzaina wrote on 2024-04-12 17:50:08:

Took the words right out of my mouth! The profanity filter is honestly a different topic entirely, and while i see where people are coming from with concerns in including diacritics... I also don't think it's an excuse to "punish" human diversity just because of some people will misuse it. There's a report system specifically when people get around the filter anyway.

Plus, as OP put it, trying to name dragons with names and terms without the diacritics can actually result in words with entirely different meanings and potentially unintentional profanity anyway. So we actually have the profanity issue in two directions, so including diacritics will at least fix half of it while the other half will remain unaffected unless the team work on an improved filter system or just rely on user reports.

Overall support!
massive support! there have been dragons i've been wanting to name with names from other languages but cannot really do so without the diacritics and spaces n stuff
i dont really think the possibility of it being used to bypass the filter is a reason to not add it since uh, it doesnt work 100% as shown by the examples by SunstonePhoenix
massive support! there have been dragons i've been wanting to name with names from other languages but cannot really do so without the diacritics and spaces n stuff
i dont really think the possibility of it being used to bypass the filter is a reason to not add it since uh, it doesnt work 100% as shown by the examples by SunstonePhoenix
< PREORDER FOR 850G!!! i need to pay off the skin blueprint guys please MONTY
he/it/veil
adhdtism
skincent shop
93641105.png
1 2 3 4 5