Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | "Subpar" Things You Still Enjoy?
1 2 3 4 5 6
Bethesda RPGs. Starfield's a solid 7/10 at best, but I thoroughly I enjoy it. I've been stressed out about school lately so I like to just turn it on and explore.
Bethesda RPGs. Starfield's a solid 7/10 at best, but I thoroughly I enjoy it. I've been stressed out about school lately so I like to just turn it on and explore.
"Oh, I don't know, I was really hoping for a huge sign on the wall saying 'Kryx's Legacy Clues Here!'"
Ditto for Warrior Cats

and the motherload of Werewolf stuff that I adore
it is also goofy n pulpy and I love it so much
Ditto for Warrior Cats

and the motherload of Werewolf stuff that I adore
it is also goofy n pulpy and I love it so much
Runic Bat Spectral Duskflapper Cursed Bat Armored Duskflapper Spirit of Shadow
i grew up on harry potter, i can't help it.

i'm a trans person who hates jk rowling, and much prefer the hunger games plot/writing/everything in general, but i can't help it. my whole family knows and loves it, and i've had birthdays centred around it. it's just a part of my own lore at this point
i grew up on harry potter, i can't help it.

i'm a trans person who hates jk rowling, and much prefer the hunger games plot/writing/everything in general, but i can't help it. my whole family knows and loves it, and i've had birthdays centred around it. it's just a part of my own lore at this point
wishlist
he/kit
xenogender
trans
transmasc

arospec
rosboy
gay
ace

catgender
Adorable Arcane Hatchery! you should listen to them... NOW!!! Coatl Swirls!
There's quite a few things that many would call "subpar" that I happen to really, really enjoy.

Most notably; the Life is Strange series. Especially LiS:Before the Storm. I've have a love for this game for years now despite all of it's flaws and justified critique. Maybe I'm just grateful for the sapphic rep; maybe I'm just in love with the soundtrack; and maybe I relate to the main character just a little bit too much... but I can't help but adore the entire series.

Pokemon SwSh are probably my favorite pokemon games. The art direction was phenomenal, and I really enjoyed the character designs, clothing options, and DLC. I was pretty disappointed with ScarVi's DLC, but I'll say that the main story was one of the better ones in the entire pokemon series. Both games are considered subpar.

Not sure if this counts, but Loomian Legacy on roblox? I'll defend that game with my life I'm soooo serious. I have a strong instinct to defend indie developers (or non-corporate teams) but LL takes that to a different level. Admittedly, a lot of the earlier settings and designs are kinda atrocious, but seeing how far they've come in terms of skill is heartwarming and inspiring to me. I have a lot of fun with it.

PMD:GTI is my favorite PMD game, and SPMD is tied with EoS. I put BRT/RRT on the bottom despite liking that game, too.

I could keep going on.... I heart being cringe

There's quite a few things that many would call "subpar" that I happen to really, really enjoy.

Most notably; the Life is Strange series. Especially LiS:Before the Storm. I've have a love for this game for years now despite all of it's flaws and justified critique. Maybe I'm just grateful for the sapphic rep; maybe I'm just in love with the soundtrack; and maybe I relate to the main character just a little bit too much... but I can't help but adore the entire series.

Pokemon SwSh are probably my favorite pokemon games. The art direction was phenomenal, and I really enjoyed the character designs, clothing options, and DLC. I was pretty disappointed with ScarVi's DLC, but I'll say that the main story was one of the better ones in the entire pokemon series. Both games are considered subpar.

Not sure if this counts, but Loomian Legacy on roblox? I'll defend that game with my life I'm soooo serious. I have a strong instinct to defend indie developers (or non-corporate teams) but LL takes that to a different level. Admittedly, a lot of the earlier settings and designs are kinda atrocious, but seeing how far they've come in terms of skill is heartwarming and inspiring to me. I have a lot of fun with it.

PMD:GTI is my favorite PMD game, and SPMD is tied with EoS. I put BRT/RRT on the bottom despite liking that game, too.

I could keep going on.... I heart being cringe

Transmasc (Trans flag)
He/They (Pastel blue)
Likes Women (Pink)
PlxuTTv.gif
qJFAY9h.png
======================
Hello! My name's Latte. I like a whole
bunch of things, and I would love to
talk about any of them! Feel free to
DM me anytime :3
======================
25411.png
+1 for Warrior Cats. I agree with pretty much everything that was already said about it. The dialogue… the plot… the inconsistency… the characterization… and don’t even get me started on the misogyny, ableism, and anti-Indigenous tropes throughout the series. It’s just got a lot of problems. And yet it will still always hold a special place in my heart; whether nostalgia or lingering curiosity, there’s something about it that keeps it perpetually in the back of my mind.

I haven’t re-read the books much recently (might do that soon), but the last time I did it definitely felt so much stiffer and flatter than I remembered it. Yet for some reason, that almost gives it a unique appeal? It may be for that reason that I’m still sort of interested in the roleplay community for that series after 15 years. It does feel like there’s a lot of potential in the concept itself and a lot of really good fan writing (and fanart!) has sprung up in the holes left by the original authors. I actually enjoy a lot of the sensory descriptions in the original writing, but there’s just something about that series that makes it more fun to imagine than to read.

And sometimes it’s just fun to enjoy something that isn’t very high quality. On one hand, it’s genuinely good for learning what not to do as a writer, but on the other it’s kind of just cozy if you grew up with it.
+1 for Warrior Cats. I agree with pretty much everything that was already said about it. The dialogue… the plot… the inconsistency… the characterization… and don’t even get me started on the misogyny, ableism, and anti-Indigenous tropes throughout the series. It’s just got a lot of problems. And yet it will still always hold a special place in my heart; whether nostalgia or lingering curiosity, there’s something about it that keeps it perpetually in the back of my mind.

I haven’t re-read the books much recently (might do that soon), but the last time I did it definitely felt so much stiffer and flatter than I remembered it. Yet for some reason, that almost gives it a unique appeal? It may be for that reason that I’m still sort of interested in the roleplay community for that series after 15 years. It does feel like there’s a lot of potential in the concept itself and a lot of really good fan writing (and fanart!) has sprung up in the holes left by the original authors. I actually enjoy a lot of the sensory descriptions in the original writing, but there’s just something about that series that makes it more fun to imagine than to read.

And sometimes it’s just fun to enjoy something that isn’t very high quality. On one hand, it’s genuinely good for learning what not to do as a writer, but on the other it’s kind of just cozy if you grew up with it.
sEBxtxA.png thDLJf3.png eGiN2Xv.png
Restoring old my little ponies and furbies
Restoring old my little ponies and furbies
8-BADFBF9-7-B11-4-F4-E-A48-C-0-FD2320-DF1-F8.png
flight rising LOL
flight rising LOL
[quote name="SillyFilly" date="2024-03-25 08:38:50" ] FNAF:SB. I've never played it but watching videos about all the funny things that can be done to abuse bugs in the game (such as gigamonty and duplicating animatronics). [/quote] YES. the amount of content this game generated around itself is kinda what makes it top tier in my eyes. falls into "so bad it's good" category. (p.s. astralspiff my beloved) ----- the sims 4. my favorite maxis game of all time is spore 2008, which... also probably fits the "subpar" label, it had so much potential (see spore beta presentations circa 2005!) and then it was executed not-so-greatly. but that's kinda a separate topic because personally i would never call this game subpar the sims 4 though? everything about this game is so bad it's offensive to the playerbase. ESPECIALLY to those who crank their wallet open for every broken dlc. but you see,,,..... i have pirated it in its entirety. and that enables me to enjoy the good while sorta ignoring the bad. i've spent hours playing with families in-game and then developing each member as an individual, with their own quirks, habits, giving them a fun design, writing little stories about their day-to-day shenanigans and dynamics with other characters. what the sims 4 is special for — as much as i dislike EA's brownie points farm, pandering and the whole rainbow capitalism in general — is the way they tackle queer stuff, especially gender; older entries in the franchise are nothing like it. playing around with voice, body frames, presentation, more recently with pronouns (even though it's still half-baked, like COME ON why are random college students who make mods in their spare time better than whatever an AAA studio does) gave me that space for self-discovery nothing else quite did. and i'm grateful for these things. and i'm still an apologist for maxis. i'm one of those folks who say "maxis good ea bad" and i want to see the sims 4 for the good the talents of maxis brought to the table instead of whatever... EA did. so, uh. something like that. also, the OST for this game is excellent, very upbeat and lively, i may or may not like it a bit more than spore's.
SillyFilly wrote on 2024-03-25 08:38:50:
FNAF:SB. I've never played it but watching videos about all the funny things that can be done to abuse bugs in the game (such as gigamonty and duplicating animatronics).
YES. the amount of content this game generated around itself is kinda what makes it top tier in my eyes. falls into "so bad it's good" category.
(p.s. astralspiff my beloved)
the sims 4.

my favorite maxis game of all time is spore 2008, which... also probably fits the "subpar" label, it had so much potential (see spore beta presentations circa 2005!) and then it was executed not-so-greatly. but that's kinda a separate topic because personally i would never call this game subpar

the sims 4 though? everything about this game is so bad it's offensive to the playerbase. ESPECIALLY to those who crank their wallet open for every broken dlc. but you see,,,..... i have pirated it in its entirety. and that enables me to enjoy the good while sorta ignoring the bad. i've spent hours playing with families in-game and then developing each member as an individual, with their own quirks, habits, giving them a fun design, writing little stories about their day-to-day shenanigans and dynamics with other characters. what the sims 4 is special for — as much as i dislike EA's brownie points farm, pandering and the whole rainbow capitalism in general — is the way they tackle queer stuff, especially gender; older entries in the franchise are nothing like it. playing around with voice, body frames, presentation, more recently with pronouns (even though it's still half-baked, like COME ON why are random college students who make mods in their spare time better than whatever an AAA studio does) gave me that space for self-discovery nothing else quite did.

and i'm grateful for these things.

and i'm still an apologist for maxis. i'm one of those folks who say "maxis good ea bad" and i want to see the sims 4 for the good the talents of maxis brought to the table instead of whatever... EA did.

so, uh. something like that.

also, the OST for this game is excellent, very upbeat and lively, i may or may not like it a bit more than spore's.
4350.png hey there! i would appreciate any sci-fi book recommendations, hit me up if you feel like it! (unrelated to the picture of barry bee benson)
shockingly not the first person in this thread to say miraculous ladybug?! I haven't watched it in a while, but it's the most addicting show of terrible quality...
shockingly not the first person in this thread to say miraculous ladybug?! I haven't watched it in a while, but it's the most addicting show of terrible quality...
ace.pngpan.png 9fbec014932d0afc30da6fd2c36bc2ad26496952.png
Ghostbusters 2016.

It's clunky in places and some of the jokes don't land, but it's a solid 3.5 out of 5 imo. Also the characters talking about their friendship at the end is really refreshing. This movie did not deserve the dogpile it received.
Ghostbusters 2016.

It's clunky in places and some of the jokes don't land, but it's a solid 3.5 out of 5 imo. Also the characters talking about their friendship at the end is really refreshing. This movie did not deserve the dogpile it received.
8hOK5Zm.png1qSQ4Z1.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6