Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | "Subpar" Things You Still Enjoy?
1 2 3 4 5 6
the Miss Marple books by Agatha Christie. for what it's worth, I think they're pretty good, as far as detective stories go. the problem is that detective stories, especially shorter ones like the Miss Marple series, are... very same-y, very basic, and it's often the side characters around the subjects of the crime who really make the story. this is a problem that all detective short stories have, even the Sherlock Holmes short stories, but it's especially obvious with Miss Marple because Miss Marple herself isn't really all that interesting as a character. she would've been more at home in longform stories where her deductive powers could really shine without being a deus-ex-machina in the final chapter.
the Miss Marple books by Agatha Christie. for what it's worth, I think they're pretty good, as far as detective stories go. the problem is that detective stories, especially shorter ones like the Miss Marple series, are... very same-y, very basic, and it's often the side characters around the subjects of the crime who really make the story. this is a problem that all detective short stories have, even the Sherlock Holmes short stories, but it's especially obvious with Miss Marple because Miss Marple herself isn't really all that interesting as a character. she would've been more at home in longform stories where her deductive powers could really shine without being a deus-ex-machina in the final chapter.
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
The entire genre of object shows, specifically the niche of OSC Werewolves. The quality is low but spirits are high and we’re all having a great time. Drawing your favorite object character becoming a monster is quite freeing, believe it or not. The entire genre of object shows is full of mediocrity I enjoy in of itself, but OSC werewolves have a very freeing feeling to them
The entire genre of object shows, specifically the niche of OSC Werewolves. The quality is low but spirits are high and we’re all having a great time. Drawing your favorite object character becoming a monster is quite freeing, believe it or not. The entire genre of object shows is full of mediocrity I enjoy in of itself, but OSC werewolves have a very freeing feeling to them
2afaf5c7a881f3ab7789c19cb50b27258701a37b.gifRisk - It/They - Please Ping2afaf5c7a881f3ab7789c19cb50b27258701a37b.gif

Hi welcome to chillis
High guardian spice and you cannot change my mind
High guardian spice and you cannot change my mind
?5rQx0=party.png?5rQLw=party.png?5rQpW=party.png?5rQpW=party.png?5rQY0=party.png
...five nights at freddy's

i still love springtrap so much why
...five nights at freddy's

i still love springtrap so much why
34816.pngH
* zeph
* they/them
* +3 fr time
* accent shop

not sure if these could be called "subpar" but they're definitely considered to be low-brow, but i enjoy reality TV

my two main ones are Wife Swap and Hoarders and i think they both interest me because they give me a peek into the lives of people i will never know. then again, i did watch a WS episode featuring a family from my area and one of the daughters has a bunch of mutual friends, so maybe that's not outside the realm of possibility

another thing that comes to mind is Tokyo Ghoul (the anime). i haven't read manga since high school and i don't want to read manga on a screen (i get screen fatigue enough as it is) so i've only watched the anime. even though i've seen a lot of criticism around the show, it still means a lot to me and maybe one day i'll actually read the story.

not sure if these could be called "subpar" but they're definitely considered to be low-brow, but i enjoy reality TV

my two main ones are Wife Swap and Hoarders and i think they both interest me because they give me a peek into the lives of people i will never know. then again, i did watch a WS episode featuring a family from my area and one of the daughters has a bunch of mutual friends, so maybe that's not outside the realm of possibility

another thing that comes to mind is Tokyo Ghoul (the anime). i haven't read manga since high school and i don't want to read manga on a screen (i get screen fatigue enough as it is) so i've only watched the anime. even though i've seen a lot of criticism around the show, it still means a lot to me and maybe one day i'll actually read the story.

57ccb012789b1c99cec88f2441a279cdd872a13f.png
I’ll second (or third?) Miraculous Ladybug. My husband, a super-genius computer consultant, absolutely adores it. We are also 68, so way way out of their target audience of kindergarten/early elementary school. It’s the definition of formulaic, but we appreciate the comfort such stories give to little kids who need to see that, especially the reminders that bad guys can be defeated. We also watched My Little Pony and other little-kiddie shows just for the innocent enjoyment.
I’ll second (or third?) Miraculous Ladybug. My husband, a super-genius computer consultant, absolutely adores it. We are also 68, so way way out of their target audience of kindergarten/early elementary school. It’s the definition of formulaic, but we appreciate the comfort such stories give to little kids who need to see that, especially the reminders that bad guys can be defeated. We also watched My Little Pony and other little-kiddie shows just for the innocent enjoyment.
All Nest Rentals - 5g/5kt and 40 food pls
0304941-D-23-B9-407-C-925-C-1-A4-DDF7-D58-B6.gif
MMPR, and Power Rangers in general. It led to a lifelong love of sentai but it was definitely the first two seasons of MMPR that got it started.

I'm really a fan of detective shows like Columbo, Murder She Wrote, and Diagnosis Murder too.

And of course as a detco fan detective conan is not the best but I enjoy it greatly anyway.

Animorphs too; it had a lot of good themes and some stellar storylines but it had so many arcs that were poorly executed in my opinion.
MMPR, and Power Rangers in general. It led to a lifelong love of sentai but it was definitely the first two seasons of MMPR that got it started.

I'm really a fan of detective shows like Columbo, Murder She Wrote, and Diagnosis Murder too.

And of course as a detco fan detective conan is not the best but I enjoy it greatly anyway.

Animorphs too; it had a lot of good themes and some stellar storylines but it had so many arcs that were poorly executed in my opinion.
Silver Pocketwatch Copper Pocketwatch
animaniacs: the great edgar hunt is a game i replay about once a year or so. it's objectively not great, but it's a solid platformer/collectathon, and for a licensed game i grabbed on a whim once, i can't complain (most others ive tried i didn't play more than 20 minutes of)

for shows, code lyoko is an easy pick. the clunkiness is the show's core charm imo. and gotta shoutout gng/gdw. got me into drawing when i was a kid, and i still think they're cool.

and gonna throw another count towards both fnaf and warriors (haven't read warriors in like a decade tho, i only roughly know what's been happening. i mostly just read fan comics now lol)
animaniacs: the great edgar hunt is a game i replay about once a year or so. it's objectively not great, but it's a solid platformer/collectathon, and for a licensed game i grabbed on a whim once, i can't complain (most others ive tried i didn't play more than 20 minutes of)

for shows, code lyoko is an easy pick. the clunkiness is the show's core charm imo. and gotta shoutout gng/gdw. got me into drawing when i was a kid, and i still think they're cool.

and gonna throw another count towards both fnaf and warriors (haven't read warriors in like a decade tho, i only roughly know what's been happening. i mostly just read fan comics now lol)
Marapets.com.

It is unplayable without adblock, it is the poster child for feature creep, the art is either bad or generic, the addition of human dressup dolls is atrocious, a lot of the humor is (charitably) A Product Of Its Time, the best stuff is gated behind aggressively predatory P2W gacha stuff, the owner and his crew of admins are openly cliquey (and the owner has an aggressively bad attitude about site usability), the community is a cesspit of toxicity that only occasionally breaks out into any sense of community at all, the playerbase Does Not Have A Voice At All, and the only QoL features they've added in the past decade have been paid. Stuff like being able to organize your pets how you want or being able to auto-price your shop are paid. There have been lots of attempts by 1-2 members of staff to fix things but those attempts have fallen to inertia. The only updates these days are an extra bloat of new (largely paid) items to collect and the occasional new art. It is a trash fire of a site. Like an extremely cynical cash grab knockoff of very old neopets with maybe 1/4 of the budget and almost none of the heart.

I unironically love it and have pets older than many of the users here. My account is almost 20 years old.

For movies, Demolition Man comes to mind. It's Sylvester Stallone at his cheesiest. Highly recommend.

Pokemon just, like, as a series at this point. Game Freak has been shoveling out nothing but trash since the series moved to the Switch except arguably LGPE, which I never played because I can't play Go because I live in a rural area. But I can't deny I've been happily consuming the trash even if it feels bad. Gonna wait for the reviews on ZA because Palworld is imo way more fun (and better quality) than SV and I kinda got woken up out of my stupor.

A newer bad game I like is Faefarm. Very very stylish, almost completely empty of logic or substance. Being able to *put objects on tables* is a feature coming up in the next patch. The latest paid DLC added a pet follow mechanic, a few cosmetics, and a totally empty new island to "explore." I unironically had a ton of fun with it. It is also $60 on switch and $40 on Steam with no DLC so it's not at all worth it.

For all you guys talking about the detective genre being disappointing to you as of late, have you considered bridging over into the murder mystery or crime thriller genres? You'll have to deal with terrible things happening to likeable people and usually a few more weird romance subplots but the plots tend to have more teeth.
Marapets.com.

It is unplayable without adblock, it is the poster child for feature creep, the art is either bad or generic, the addition of human dressup dolls is atrocious, a lot of the humor is (charitably) A Product Of Its Time, the best stuff is gated behind aggressively predatory P2W gacha stuff, the owner and his crew of admins are openly cliquey (and the owner has an aggressively bad attitude about site usability), the community is a cesspit of toxicity that only occasionally breaks out into any sense of community at all, the playerbase Does Not Have A Voice At All, and the only QoL features they've added in the past decade have been paid. Stuff like being able to organize your pets how you want or being able to auto-price your shop are paid. There have been lots of attempts by 1-2 members of staff to fix things but those attempts have fallen to inertia. The only updates these days are an extra bloat of new (largely paid) items to collect and the occasional new art. It is a trash fire of a site. Like an extremely cynical cash grab knockoff of very old neopets with maybe 1/4 of the budget and almost none of the heart.

I unironically love it and have pets older than many of the users here. My account is almost 20 years old.

For movies, Demolition Man comes to mind. It's Sylvester Stallone at his cheesiest. Highly recommend.

Pokemon just, like, as a series at this point. Game Freak has been shoveling out nothing but trash since the series moved to the Switch except arguably LGPE, which I never played because I can't play Go because I live in a rural area. But I can't deny I've been happily consuming the trash even if it feels bad. Gonna wait for the reviews on ZA because Palworld is imo way more fun (and better quality) than SV and I kinda got woken up out of my stupor.

A newer bad game I like is Faefarm. Very very stylish, almost completely empty of logic or substance. Being able to *put objects on tables* is a feature coming up in the next patch. The latest paid DLC added a pet follow mechanic, a few cosmetics, and a totally empty new island to "explore." I unironically had a ton of fun with it. It is also $60 on switch and $40 on Steam with no DLC so it's not at all worth it.

For all you guys talking about the detective genre being disappointing to you as of late, have you considered bridging over into the murder mystery or crime thriller genres? You'll have to deal with terrible things happening to likeable people and usually a few more weird romance subplots but the plots tend to have more teeth.
hoMNYDJ.png
pokemon sc/vi is one of my favorite games in the series and i will never apologize for it. it gave me the same sense of childish wonder and discovery that b/w did, no other pokemon game has done that. basically, "pokemon sc/vi is so good if you don't have someone in your ear yelling about how bad it is"

also, i unironically love this unbearably mediocre YA series that is just. it is SOOO CLICHE and generally just slop. i know it is. i still have the books. i adore it. i used to obsess over it. i named myself after one of the characters. if there's any other insane Throne of Glass enjoyers out there, hi, are you okay? (stopped reading the series after a while but tbh the first few books i have reread too often.)

pokemon sc/vi is one of my favorite games in the series and i will never apologize for it. it gave me the same sense of childish wonder and discovery that b/w did, no other pokemon game has done that. basically, "pokemon sc/vi is so good if you don't have someone in your ear yelling about how bad it is"

also, i unironically love this unbearably mediocre YA series that is just. it is SOOO CLICHE and generally just slop. i know it is. i still have the books. i adore it. i used to obsess over it. i named myself after one of the characters. if there's any other insane Throne of Glass enjoyers out there, hi, are you okay? (stopped reading the series after a while but tbh the first few books i have reread too often.)

ePOliyb.pngHdmxfuE.pngWTRVHVo.png
1vAtYxM.pngsh5xjiu.pngpcUL48u.png
PRICTGJ.pngVDqpTLf.pngmtHAEL4.png
cdqdRxL.png5Tw56Ex.png
YMPbu9R.png
1 2 3 4 5 6