Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What are you currently reading?
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
a closed and common orbit by becky chambers! i didn’t think i could like a book more than the first one in the wayfarers series but i think this one might actually be better!

i’m in the middle of a couple of other books too but this is the one i’m excited about most
a closed and common orbit by becky chambers! i didn’t think i could like a book more than the first one in the wayfarers series but i think this one might actually be better!

i’m in the middle of a couple of other books too but this is the one i’m excited about most
D9XjOpZ.jpg
[quote name="AnomalyBeans" date="2024-03-18 22:43:47" ] Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James Really neat book that pulls from different African mythologies and the author's own imagination as well. There are some themes and scenes in this book that are not for kids, and it's definitely more oriented for adult readers, but I do highly recommend it to people that can read it! Even if I'm super slow on reading this book and trying to read it is a bit daunting at times XD [/quote] This is on my TBR! It sounds amazing. Currently breezing through The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. Sci-fi fiction is my go to while i struggle through exams lol.
AnomalyBeans wrote on 2024-03-18 22:43:47:
Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James

Really neat book that pulls from different African mythologies and the author's own imagination as well. There are some themes and scenes in this book that are not for kids, and it's definitely more oriented for adult readers, but I do highly recommend it to people that can read it! Even if I'm super slow on reading this book and trying to read it is a bit daunting at times XD
This is on my TBR! It sounds amazing.

Currently breezing through The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. Sci-fi fiction is my go to while i struggle through exams lol.
ed he/him
I'm reading A Field Guide to Lucid Dreaming by Dan Tucillo, Jared Zeizel, and Thomas Peisel. I've come close to doing this before, so I want to review all of the basics and try again!

Another wooey-woo book that I'm reading is The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes. He posits that introspection/consciousness evolved in the human mind sometime during the 2nd millennium BCE, and while it's deeply flawed at best, I feel like as a fantasy writer I should investigate this interesting theory. Just because it doesn't apply to humans doesn't mean that it can't apply to fictitious species, right?
I'm reading A Field Guide to Lucid Dreaming by Dan Tucillo, Jared Zeizel, and Thomas Peisel. I've come close to doing this before, so I want to review all of the basics and try again!

Another wooey-woo book that I'm reading is The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes. He posits that introspection/consciousness evolved in the human mind sometime during the 2nd millennium BCE, and while it's deeply flawed at best, I feel like as a fantasy writer I should investigate this interesting theory. Just because it doesn't apply to humans doesn't mean that it can't apply to fictitious species, right?
cSckuMi.png BqIFphl.png
About to read The Housemaid by Freida McFadden. I'm in the mood for something dramatic and suspenseful. Popular thriller books can often be very hit-or-miss but I have faith this one will deliver on my expectations!
About to read The Housemaid by Freida McFadden. I'm in the mood for something dramatic and suspenseful. Popular thriller books can often be very hit-or-miss but I have faith this one will deliver on my expectations!
tn0RSo5.pngpyAp3dI.png
MUYNhfy.pngbYt72YT.png
mtHAEL4.pngBS4vqBB.png

Please read the bios/broadcast messages of my dragons before referring to them! Many of them have genders other than what they were assigned by the game :)
just finished the first book in the farseer trilogy, next one is on order! reading the first veronica speedwell mystery in the meantime. dunno how i feel yet, she's a bit too perfectly-smart-not-like-other-girls for me at the moment. but im hoping for jungle adventurer shenanigans.
just finished the first book in the farseer trilogy, next one is on order! reading the first veronica speedwell mystery in the meantime. dunno how i feel yet, she's a bit too perfectly-smart-not-like-other-girls for me at the moment. but im hoping for jungle adventurer shenanigans.
my siggy broke AAAAAAAAAAAA
[quote name="Ralsha" date="2024-02-11 20:26:42" ] Slowly but surely getting started on The Priory of the Orange Tree! I haven't really read a book since I graduated HS, so like what three years now? Maybe cause I've gotten real picky with them. But I went to Barnes and Noble with my friends a few weeks ago and it looked real nice, and I heard its got wlw rep AND dragons so! But I'll admit its hard to have the energy to pick up a new fantasy book now lol. [/quote] @ralsha yessss... YESSSS... i love priory, even if it took a month to read lol. if you'd like some more wlw/lgbt rep recs, here are some i've enjoyed or have meant to start! - locked tomb series. probably the hugest wlw fant/scifi on the market rn! worth the hype! bone magic girlfriends! murder in space! - psalm for the wild built! cozy novella duology about a tea monk and a wandering robot. big psychological questions, cute road trip packaging. - every heart a doorway! another novella series with lots of rep. ace protag! i've only read the first but have the next ones on lock. explores what happens to the children like alice and dorothy who were whisked away to dreamlands but were forced to come back home and the new friendships they make with each other. - not rly lgbt rep, but i have to sing the mirror visitor quartet's praises. if you love intricate, unique fantasy settings that lean on the steampunk-with-magic side (and strangers forced together to protect the greater good who eventually and organically fall in love WOOO) please give it a try. it is so good.
Ralsha wrote on 2024-02-11 20:26:42:
Slowly but surely getting started on The Priory of the Orange Tree! I haven't really read a book since I graduated HS, so like what three years now? Maybe cause I've gotten real picky with them. But I went to Barnes and Noble with my friends a few weeks ago and it looked real nice, and I heard its got wlw rep AND dragons so! But I'll admit its hard to have the energy to pick up a new fantasy book now lol.

@ralsha
yessss... YESSSS... i love priory, even if it took a month to read lol. if you'd like some more wlw/lgbt rep recs, here are some i've enjoyed or have meant to start!

- locked tomb series. probably the hugest wlw fant/scifi on the market rn! worth the hype! bone magic girlfriends! murder in space!
- psalm for the wild built! cozy novella duology about a tea monk and a wandering robot. big psychological questions, cute road trip packaging.
- every heart a doorway! another novella series with lots of rep. ace protag! i've only read the first but have the next ones on lock. explores what happens to the children like alice and dorothy who were whisked away to dreamlands but were forced to come back home and the new friendships they make with each other.
- not rly lgbt rep, but i have to sing the mirror visitor quartet's praises. if you love intricate, unique fantasy settings that lean on the steampunk-with-magic side (and strangers forced together to protect the greater good who eventually and organically fall in love WOOO) please give it a try. it is so good.
my siggy broke AAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm currently reading The Warden by Daniel M. Ford and also the Revenge of the Sith novelization! I finished The Butcher of the Forest by Premee Mohamed a week or two ago as well!
I'm currently reading The Warden by Daniel M. Ford and also the Revenge of the Sith novelization! I finished The Butcher of the Forest by Premee Mohamed a week or two ago as well!
d1lIMFI.pngtqGkHih.pngyPlj8ew.pngmlHpBMC.png
[quote name="Noddddd" date="2024-03-19 15:14:39" ] a closed and common orbit by becky chambers! i didn’t think i could like a book more than the first one in the wayfarers series but i think this one might actually be better! i’m in the middle of a couple of other books too but this is the one i’m excited about most [/quote] Oh my gosh I hope you enjoy this one! I'm starting this series soon literally just so I can read this one. Ever since I read The Murderbot Diaries I've been on a huge AI binge and can't get enough robot/AI protags.
Noddddd wrote on 2024-03-19 15:14:39:

Oh my gosh I hope you enjoy this one! I'm starting this series soon literally just so I can read this one. Ever since I read The Murderbot Diaries I've been on a huge AI binge and can't get enough robot/AI protags.
[quote name="Narisa" date="2024-03-23 08:06:43" ] [quote name="Ralsha" date="2024-02-11 20:26:42" ] Slowly but surely getting started on The Priory of the Orange Tree! I haven't really read a book since I graduated HS, so like what three years now? Maybe cause I've gotten real picky with them. But I went to Barnes and Noble with my friends a few weeks ago and it looked real nice, and I heard its got wlw rep AND dragons so! But I'll admit its hard to have the energy to pick up a new fantasy book now lol. [/quote] yessss... YESSSS... i love priory, even if it took a month to read lol. if you'd like some more wlw/lgbt rep recs, here are some i've enjoyed or have meant to start! - locked tomb series. probably the hugest wlw fant/scifi on the market rn! worth the hype! bone magic girlfriends! murder in space! - psalm for the wild built! cozy novella duology about a tea monk and a wandering robot. big psychological questions, cute road trip packaging. - every heart a doorway! another novella series with lots of rep. ace protag! i've only read the first but have the next ones on lock. explores what happens to the children like alice and dorothy who were whisked away to dreamlands but were forced to come back home and the new friendships they make with each other. - not rly lgbt rep, but i have to sing the mirror visitor quartet's praises. if you love intricate, unique fantasy settings that lean on the steampunk-with-magic side (and strangers forced together to protect the greater good who eventually and organically fall in love WOOO) please give it a try. it is so good. [/quote] I'm really eager to start locked tomb, it's been on my TBR for ages now but I'm actually a third of the way done with The Warden by Daniel M. Ford and it scratches a similar itch lol. Necromancy, wlw, fantasy, mc is the new sheriff in town basically. Also so glad you liked Psalm for the Wild Built! I just finished this last month and it was super cozy, pretty much my ideal future!
Narisa wrote on 2024-03-23 08:06:43:
Slowly but surely getting started on The Priory of the Orange Tree! I haven't really read a book since I graduated HS, so like what three years now? Maybe cause I've gotten real picky with them. But I went to Barnes and Noble with my friends a few weeks ago and it looked real nice, and I heard its got wlw rep AND dragons so! But I'll admit its hard to have the energy to pick up a new fantasy book now lol.

yessss... YESSSS... i love priory, even if it took a month to read lol. if you'd like some more wlw/lgbt rep recs, here are some i've enjoyed or have meant to start!

- locked tomb series. probably the hugest wlw fant/scifi on the market rn! worth the hype! bone magic girlfriends! murder in space!
- psalm for the wild built! cozy novella duology about a tea monk and a wandering robot. big psychological questions, cute road trip packaging.
- every heart a doorway! another novella series with lots of rep. ace protag! i've only read the first but have the next ones on lock. explores what happens to the children like alice and dorothy who were whisked away to dreamlands but were forced to come back home and the new friendships they make with each other.
- not rly lgbt rep, but i have to sing the mirror visitor quartet's praises. if you love intricate, unique fantasy settings that lean on the steampunk-with-magic side (and strangers forced together to protect the greater good who eventually and organically fall in love WOOO) please give it a try. it is so good.

I'm really eager to start locked tomb, it's been on my TBR for ages now but I'm actually a third of the way done with The Warden by Daniel M. Ford and it scratches a similar itch lol. Necromancy, wlw, fantasy, mc is the new sheriff in town basically. Also so glad you liked Psalm for the Wild Built! I just finished this last month and it was super cozy, pretty much my ideal future!
[quote name="@Narisa" date="2024-03-23 08:06:43" ] [quote name="Ralsha" date="2024-02-11 20:26:42" ] Slowly but surely getting started on The Priory of the Orange Tree! I haven't really read a book since I graduated HS, so like what three years now? Maybe cause I've gotten real picky with them. But I went to Barnes and Noble with my friends a few weeks ago and it looked real nice, and I heard its got wlw rep AND dragons so! But I'll admit its hard to have the energy to pick up a new fantasy book now lol. [/quote] @ralsha yessss... YESSSS... i love priory, even if it took a month to read lol. if you'd like some more wlw/lgbt rep recs, here are some i've enjoyed or have meant to start! - locked tomb series. probably the hugest wlw fant/scifi on the market rn! worth the hype! bone magic girlfriends! murder in space! - psalm for the wild built! cozy novella duology about a tea monk and a wandering robot. big psychological questions, cute road trip packaging. - every heart a doorway! another novella series with lots of rep. ace protag! i've only read the first but have the next ones on lock. explores what happens to the children like alice and dorothy who were whisked away to dreamlands but were forced to come back home and the new friendships they make with each other. - not rly lgbt rep, but i have to sing the mirror visitor quartet's praises. if you love intricate, unique fantasy settings that lean on the steampunk-with-magic side (and strangers forced together to protect the greater good who eventually and organically fall in love WOOO) please give it a try. it is so good. [/quote] The Locked Tomb series is also one I've heard a lot of good things about! :O Its up there pretty high on my list of books to read. And all of those other suggestions also sound super interesting,I'll have to check them out too. I really appreciate all of the reccomendations!!
@Narisa wrote on 2024-03-23 08:06:43:

@ralsha

The Locked Tomb series is also one I've heard a lot of good things about! :O Its up there pretty high on my list of books to read. And all of those other suggestions also sound super interesting,I'll have to check them out too. I really appreciate all of the reccomendations!!
red lizard from rain world

» Formerly Ceruleanfire, Springfire
» She/Her
» +2 FR Time || Pings welcome!
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15