Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | FR Original Character Tournamet?
1 2
I'm not sure if this would be better in creative, but it would be kind of an event based in FR lore (not 100% site-accurate most likely, as creative liberties would need to be taken), but if mods think this should be moved, let me know!

What is an OCT? It's an Original Character Tournament, in which you are given a certain plotline written by the judges, and then you create a story-based art piece for that "round." I used to have so much fun and I saw my greatest progress as an artist by participating in OCTs back when they were a staple on DeviantArt.

They would be elimination-style, only a certain amount of players make it each round, until there is finally THE winner, and each entry would be judged by the judges instead of being a popularity contest as some OCTs sometimes are.

Because FR is both a collection of visual AND written artists, I was thinking of there being two categories so that there would be two winners, and because judging visual art vs written art is quite unfair. Declaring a winner against a match would not work very well. So, two winners!

So, I was wondering if this would be of interest to anybody? Prizes were usually artwork by part of the judges (or donated by other participants), and there would be of course the grand prize, and then the runner ups.

I was thinking there could be some participation prizes, as well, to encourage everybody even if they didn't make it to later stages.

Potential Prizes that I can give:
20kg prize pool (in pure)
Some rare items possibly (y1 apparel)
Art of the winner's characters

And then anything else that others would be willing to donate. It would be of course important to note that any prizes that aren't given by the judges are not guaranteed to be delivered, so only the judge prizes would be guaranteed.

How it works:
Plot:
The plot would of course be set in Sornieth, using FR-canon lore. I'm thinking of the lore for the tournament being somewhat flexible since many people deviate from the official lore for their own dragons, and that way as many people could participate without feeling like they need to ignore their own lore.

In fact, it would hopefully be flexible enough that you COULD use your own lore (like for example: some people like using a "gijinka/humanoid transformation" in their lore, but some people prefer their dragons ONLY stay as dragons, or even including lore found in lineages and stuff) without it interfering with others' entries.

The tournament lore will remain neutral (so not include any fan lore)... But as I'm a humanoid fan, that might take part, but we'll see.

The plot would be a sort of basis on what people will be drawing/writing for that round, and you would develop your characters (dragons) around that plot. There IS no real idea on what this plot will be, but it'd be something akin to the little events we've had here like the Dustcarve, and then the Bounty of the Elements. So it would be something that would hopefully inspire you to write/draw ahaha.

Rounds
Applications:
You would submit character profiles for the characters you plan on using, in this case, the dragons you plan on using. They do not have to be dragons you OWN, as I know some people have "canon" dragons in their lair that don't actually exist in physical/pixel form. You would have one "PC" (player character), and as many NPCs (non-player characters) as you want to support your PC. They would ALL be dragons, but which dragon you choose to use would be up to you (could be an OC dragon, a fandragon, anything!)

Audition round:
This would only be based on the interest. So if more than some 50 people are interested, then we would do auditions. Basically, we would require a SHORT story in written or comic fashion, and then the judges would choose a previously-disclosed amount of people who would partake in this tournament (so if 50 people entered, only 25 or something would make it into the tournament itself). Folks who pass would be decided based on finish and quality, so it would actually be pretty easy to pass.

Rounds 1-?:
In my experience, OCTs can last anywhere from three months to a year, as each round takes one month to conclude. Extensions would be given only if voted by the mass, otherwise they would be set to exactly a month after the start of the round.

Judges would put out a comic/story to explain the content of the round, and then you, the artist, would write/draw your comic based on the content. Each round, only a certain amount of people will make it through to the end, until the final round where there'll be anywhere from 2 to maybe four in each category.

Content:
Each round would be limited and increase in limit each time. For the audition, it would probably be about 1,000 words or a short 7-panel comic.

Each round would increase in how many panels or pages you can do, and words. Going OVER the limit will accrue a penalty (so if you write 1,001 words, you'd get a tiny penalty, and a 1,500 entry would get a larger penalty. Each extra panel would also give you a penalty).

Writing style, art style, comic style, all of that would be up to you. Past OCTs I know used to submit full-blown Animations, too, but that would probably be limited here to give more people a fair chance.

Collabs might be allowed (so having writer/artist or artist/artist groups), but the prizes would be split if a collab team won.

People would also be encouraged to do sort of... Intermission comics/stories while waiting for the next round to come out, or if you lose a round. This would give you and the others more context for your story!

Judging:
This is where I'll need some help, as I can't run this by myself. I'd need a few folks, anywhere from one other to two or three others that can help me make content for the plot, judge the entries, etc. This will be a "job" done on your free time, and might take up a bit of time to set everything up. We'll need to be impartial.

Entries will NOT be based on quality of art or writing, as there are many English-as-a-second-language people on this site, and although we would ask everyone to make their entries in English, I don't want to judge based on perfect English grammar. As long as entries are legible and the story is clear, it is highly likely that an entry that isn't perfect college-grade (whatever that means) English wins.

But also that some super highly-rendered super fancy art might not win, either, as what matters most is the story you tell. I want to make this tournament accessible to as many people as possible.

Again, there will be TWO categories, one for visual artists, one for writers, and there will be TWO winners in the end.

At worst, I can try to do everything myself, but some extra help would be awesome!

Other things:
A discord would most likely be made to keep all the participants in one place, and we would encourage cross-lair lore while we're working on our entries or waiting for the next round to launch!! Everything would be in one specific thread (a contest thread most likely), but we'd encourage people make their own threads to link to in the contest thread itself so that things can remain organized.

For the most part, things are still super work-in-progress, but as I woke up this morning after having a pokemon OCT dream (hahaha), I thought maybe it would be fun to do something like this for FR itself. It would be akin to the various events in Dominance Pushes, and hopefully this would inspire people to just do art again.

This is a super basic run-down, but... Is there any possible interest in this? Anybody who would be willing to help in making this a reality? And again, mods, if this is better fit in Creative, let me know!
I'm not sure if this would be better in creative, but it would be kind of an event based in FR lore (not 100% site-accurate most likely, as creative liberties would need to be taken), but if mods think this should be moved, let me know!

What is an OCT? It's an Original Character Tournament, in which you are given a certain plotline written by the judges, and then you create a story-based art piece for that "round." I used to have so much fun and I saw my greatest progress as an artist by participating in OCTs back when they were a staple on DeviantArt.

They would be elimination-style, only a certain amount of players make it each round, until there is finally THE winner, and each entry would be judged by the judges instead of being a popularity contest as some OCTs sometimes are.

Because FR is both a collection of visual AND written artists, I was thinking of there being two categories so that there would be two winners, and because judging visual art vs written art is quite unfair. Declaring a winner against a match would not work very well. So, two winners!

So, I was wondering if this would be of interest to anybody? Prizes were usually artwork by part of the judges (or donated by other participants), and there would be of course the grand prize, and then the runner ups.

I was thinking there could be some participation prizes, as well, to encourage everybody even if they didn't make it to later stages.

Potential Prizes that I can give:
20kg prize pool (in pure)
Some rare items possibly (y1 apparel)
Art of the winner's characters

And then anything else that others would be willing to donate. It would be of course important to note that any prizes that aren't given by the judges are not guaranteed to be delivered, so only the judge prizes would be guaranteed.

How it works:
Plot:
The plot would of course be set in Sornieth, using FR-canon lore. I'm thinking of the lore for the tournament being somewhat flexible since many people deviate from the official lore for their own dragons, and that way as many people could participate without feeling like they need to ignore their own lore.

In fact, it would hopefully be flexible enough that you COULD use your own lore (like for example: some people like using a "gijinka/humanoid transformation" in their lore, but some people prefer their dragons ONLY stay as dragons, or even including lore found in lineages and stuff) without it interfering with others' entries.

The tournament lore will remain neutral (so not include any fan lore)... But as I'm a humanoid fan, that might take part, but we'll see.

The plot would be a sort of basis on what people will be drawing/writing for that round, and you would develop your characters (dragons) around that plot. There IS no real idea on what this plot will be, but it'd be something akin to the little events we've had here like the Dustcarve, and then the Bounty of the Elements. So it would be something that would hopefully inspire you to write/draw ahaha.

Rounds
Applications:
You would submit character profiles for the characters you plan on using, in this case, the dragons you plan on using. They do not have to be dragons you OWN, as I know some people have "canon" dragons in their lair that don't actually exist in physical/pixel form. You would have one "PC" (player character), and as many NPCs (non-player characters) as you want to support your PC. They would ALL be dragons, but which dragon you choose to use would be up to you (could be an OC dragon, a fandragon, anything!)

Audition round:
This would only be based on the interest. So if more than some 50 people are interested, then we would do auditions. Basically, we would require a SHORT story in written or comic fashion, and then the judges would choose a previously-disclosed amount of people who would partake in this tournament (so if 50 people entered, only 25 or something would make it into the tournament itself). Folks who pass would be decided based on finish and quality, so it would actually be pretty easy to pass.

Rounds 1-?:
In my experience, OCTs can last anywhere from three months to a year, as each round takes one month to conclude. Extensions would be given only if voted by the mass, otherwise they would be set to exactly a month after the start of the round.

Judges would put out a comic/story to explain the content of the round, and then you, the artist, would write/draw your comic based on the content. Each round, only a certain amount of people will make it through to the end, until the final round where there'll be anywhere from 2 to maybe four in each category.

Content:
Each round would be limited and increase in limit each time. For the audition, it would probably be about 1,000 words or a short 7-panel comic.

Each round would increase in how many panels or pages you can do, and words. Going OVER the limit will accrue a penalty (so if you write 1,001 words, you'd get a tiny penalty, and a 1,500 entry would get a larger penalty. Each extra panel would also give you a penalty).

Writing style, art style, comic style, all of that would be up to you. Past OCTs I know used to submit full-blown Animations, too, but that would probably be limited here to give more people a fair chance.

Collabs might be allowed (so having writer/artist or artist/artist groups), but the prizes would be split if a collab team won.

People would also be encouraged to do sort of... Intermission comics/stories while waiting for the next round to come out, or if you lose a round. This would give you and the others more context for your story!

Judging:
This is where I'll need some help, as I can't run this by myself. I'd need a few folks, anywhere from one other to two or three others that can help me make content for the plot, judge the entries, etc. This will be a "job" done on your free time, and might take up a bit of time to set everything up. We'll need to be impartial.

Entries will NOT be based on quality of art or writing, as there are many English-as-a-second-language people on this site, and although we would ask everyone to make their entries in English, I don't want to judge based on perfect English grammar. As long as entries are legible and the story is clear, it is highly likely that an entry that isn't perfect college-grade (whatever that means) English wins.

But also that some super highly-rendered super fancy art might not win, either, as what matters most is the story you tell. I want to make this tournament accessible to as many people as possible.

Again, there will be TWO categories, one for visual artists, one for writers, and there will be TWO winners in the end.

At worst, I can try to do everything myself, but some extra help would be awesome!

Other things:
A discord would most likely be made to keep all the participants in one place, and we would encourage cross-lair lore while we're working on our entries or waiting for the next round to launch!! Everything would be in one specific thread (a contest thread most likely), but we'd encourage people make their own threads to link to in the contest thread itself so that things can remain organized.

For the most part, things are still super work-in-progress, but as I woke up this morning after having a pokemon OCT dream (hahaha), I thought maybe it would be fun to do something like this for FR itself. It would be akin to the various events in Dominance Pushes, and hopefully this would inspire people to just do art again.

This is a super basic run-down, but... Is there any possible interest in this? Anybody who would be willing to help in making this a reality? And again, mods, if this is better fit in Creative, let me know!
AScq6qj.png
Animation + More!!! Art Sales
Wishlist || SnowyBlink Adopt Shop
Blep Bean Adopt Shop || Lore-Building Challenge!
Official Ice Subspecies Organizer!
It's AlyxSandre, not Alyxandre!
This is super rough, and things are bound to grow from here, but I just wanted to post this before work! I hope there's interest!
This is super rough, and things are bound to grow from here, but I just wanted to post this before work! I hope there's interest!
AScq6qj.png
I'm interested I just hope I have time if I participate haha. If not, I'd probably be interested in helping to judge
I'm interested I just hope I have time if I participate haha. If not, I'd probably be interested in helping to judge
fiFase7.png
THIS IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA... I'd definitely join the art side of the competition :D I don't do comics nearly often enough!!
THIS IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA... I'd definitely join the art side of the competition :D I don't do comics nearly often enough!!
~~~~ hello ^^ ~~~~
ara - 21 - she/any
pings and messages
always welcome :)
-
hh5n4WA.pngmlHpBMC.png
tqGkHih.png0XHtpWy.png
P4eo1Gw.png

---
Accent: petals of violet
500g/kt each
This is a really cool idea! Personally, it really depends on how much time you get for each round. I can be quite busy at times and I know other people do too, and I would hate for that to deter people from this idea!
This is more personal, but I am uncomfortable with using Discord with strangers and others might too! This has stopped me from participating in challenges and events like this in the past.
Again, brilliant idea!
This is a really cool idea! Personally, it really depends on how much time you get for each round. I can be quite busy at times and I know other people do too, and I would hate for that to deter people from this idea!
This is more personal, but I am uncomfortable with using Discord with strangers and others might too! This has stopped me from participating in challenges and events like this in the past.
Again, brilliant idea!
v2fvT9R.png
@Astromanian
Yeah! One month would be the general time span per entry, with a leeway of 1 extra week if enough people ask for an extension. Otherwise, 3 weeks per entry would be the BARE minimum. Anything less would not be fair IMO!

As for the discord bit, it would probably be optional, but more timely updates/news would be on there! As Discord is extremely mobile friendly, it would be my preferred method of communication and would only make updates on the thread when I’m on a computer which is not that often 8’)

I likely wouldn’t make anything absolutely crucial discord only for this reason, though! If anything, it’s just for accessibility for myself as having everything and everyone in one place makes things so much easier to host contests like this!
@Astromanian
Yeah! One month would be the general time span per entry, with a leeway of 1 extra week if enough people ask for an extension. Otherwise, 3 weeks per entry would be the BARE minimum. Anything less would not be fair IMO!

As for the discord bit, it would probably be optional, but more timely updates/news would be on there! As Discord is extremely mobile friendly, it would be my preferred method of communication and would only make updates on the thread when I’m on a computer which is not that often 8’)

I likely wouldn’t make anything absolutely crucial discord only for this reason, though! If anything, it’s just for accessibility for myself as having everything and everyone in one place makes things so much easier to host contests like this!
AScq6qj.png
Another thing I’m thinking about potential plot (which of course the basics will be public with the different points and eventual twist being revealed as the tournament goes on, with each subsequent round), is something that could either take place in the past or something in the present

I was also thinking that the lore would also be fluid enough to INCLUDE popular fan lore such as Naomi, typically by mentioning sort of “outlier” dragons whose power rivals that of the 11

I know this is not always the most popular approach, but I personally have a lot of fun with this fan lore and at least mentioning that they exist would give people the opportunity to use their favorite lineage dragons if they wanted to without completely ignoring the lore they have

More details still being thought of
Another thing I’m thinking about potential plot (which of course the basics will be public with the different points and eventual twist being revealed as the tournament goes on, with each subsequent round), is something that could either take place in the past or something in the present

I was also thinking that the lore would also be fluid enough to INCLUDE popular fan lore such as Naomi, typically by mentioning sort of “outlier” dragons whose power rivals that of the 11

I know this is not always the most popular approach, but I personally have a lot of fun with this fan lore and at least mentioning that they exist would give people the opportunity to use their favorite lineage dragons if they wanted to without completely ignoring the lore they have

More details still being thought of
AScq6qj.png
Oh man, this sounds like an awesome idea! Thinking about possibly joining as a writer :D
Oh man, this sounds like an awesome idea! Thinking about possibly joining as a writer :D
qb9pYzX.png
4SzSxLW.png
nN1WWUH.png
ll0CfnD.png
r8v91MH.png
35762b9fa17b8144c404b3e7df934cfa0dd0a1b9.png
This is intriguing, but I'm gonna wait for when this becomes a reality to see if I really want to tackle being a writer.

Will the submissions be on here or another website? If it's here I can very well participate, but if it's on another website then I'm gonna have to jump ship on this.
This is intriguing, but I'm gonna wait for when this becomes a reality to see if I really want to tackle being a writer.

Will the submissions be on here or another website? If it's here I can very well participate, but if it's on another website then I'm gonna have to jump ship on this.
Give a like if you think they're cool--->86520977.png93331792.png88744101.png
@ChaoticFriendzy
It would all be here! You can see more details listed in the “other things” bit
As I replied to another user, a discord would be made but only for easy communication and chatter, but everything would officially be hosted here on FR! As it’s an FR tournament, it would only make sense to be hosted here :D ! (in the contests & raffles forum part of FR!)
@ChaoticFriendzy
It would all be here! You can see more details listed in the “other things” bit
As I replied to another user, a discord would be made but only for easy communication and chatter, but everything would officially be hosted here on FR! As it’s an FR tournament, it would only make sense to be hosted here :D ! (in the contests & raffles forum part of FR!)
AScq6qj.png
1 2