Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | revert auraboa fern/paisley
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 39 40
[b]Update 2/21/2024:[/b] In light of further changes being made, and seemingly no ear to staff as these changes continue to go through, I encourage others to make use of the [b][url=https://flightrising.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new]Contact Us[/url][/b] with the category Suggestions. [u]Please do not abuse this feature to insult, berate, or harass staff in any form. [/u] Examples of what might be fitting to include in your ticket: Your preference to how these changes should be handled moving forward, your opinion on breed release speed (if relevant), and in general what you would like to see prioritized. [u]Please refrain from using other people's posts, as they might prefer to speak on their own behalf.[/u] You additionally do not need to rush writing your ticket, even if the slated changes continue to pass through. Please be constructive in your writing, which will aid the continued and future relationship between playerbase and staff. [rule] [rule] It continues to be genuinely disheartening and disappointing that style choices are changed and categorized as bugs. the old version added depth and visual break to an already visually cramped design that, while very loved and enjoyed by many, benefited from the old stylistic choices. This is a reoccurring event where a decision is made in favor of consistency much to the chagrin of players that have spent money on plans that gave no intuitive indication that implied it was an error. I have spent money on the site, in support of the site and its services, and forwarded in game funds to artists that bolster the community. I would love to continue that show of support, when i have available spending funds, if not also showing my support of the art produced by the site itself, and to the idea of Ancients as a whole. This is another blow to my confidence in the idea that I can truly trust my plans and that money can be faithfully spent, but this is not unreminiscent to the obelisk flair choice in favor of "consistency" I, as of current, own the UMA shown in this image, but the gems spent both on the acquisition of the dragon, and for the uma of itself, are only half for naught because i cant trust a scry of the dragon i currently own, on site. [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1097931234329505884/1188910729819078758/scry_19.png[/img] As of making this thread there were 3,232 Auraboas that existed with the old rendition of Paisley (picked for the simplicity of numbers) and 1,520 of that number were G1 Auraboas that needed the deliberate application of the gene. While it is not a significant number in comparison to either the existing number of dragons on the site as a whole, nor in comparison to all Auraboas on the site regardless of the application of Fern or Paisley, I deliberately bring that number to attention because there were people that enjoyed the older version — and not unlikely, still prefer it — and sought it out. These numbers, notably, do not include the existing plans that people have made in anticipation of acquiring said genes. In addition, the mention of the swirl pattern changing width and consistency feels incongruent to other modern breeds that have a thicker width and consistency than Skydancers and Coatls. I am of the opinion that Skydancers and Coatls could even be improved with the reverse decision, but I did not come here to suggest a change to a gene that has been on the site for a number of years now. The sentiment goes both ways, in which people have planned and coordinated around a version of the gene that they grew accustomed to, and there would likely be backlash for the very same reasons. This is [i]why[/i] there was such an uproar regarding the change of style regarding Obelisk manes and the Flair gene. The lead choice of the poll was for the change be reversed specifically for Obelisks, not for the style to suddenly be applied to all breeds in retaliation, or style preference. This change to Fern/Paisley leads me to believe that the understanding or comprehension to what people were saying was not held to high enough esteem that it would be remembered when even considering these types of changes moving forward. [edit: follow-up thoughts on this tangent have been consolidated here for convenience] I have also been reminded that there was a point made that ancient parallel genes can look different from modern versions. Why is there preferential treatment to some genes and not others when deciding to revert [i]stylistic[/i] changes?
Update 2/21/2024: In light of further changes being made, and seemingly no ear to staff as these changes continue to go through, I encourage others to make use of the Contact Us with the category Suggestions. Please do not abuse this feature to insult, berate, or harass staff in any form.

Examples of what might be fitting to include in your ticket: Your preference to how these changes should be handled moving forward, your opinion on breed release speed (if relevant), and in general what you would like to see prioritized.

Please refrain from using other people's posts, as they might prefer to speak on their own behalf. You additionally do not need to rush writing your ticket, even if the slated changes continue to pass through. Please be constructive in your writing, which will aid the continued and future relationship between playerbase and staff.

It continues to be genuinely disheartening and disappointing that style choices are changed and categorized as bugs. the old version added depth and visual break to an already visually cramped design that, while very loved and enjoyed by many, benefited from the old stylistic choices.

This is a reoccurring event where a decision is made in favor of consistency much to the chagrin of players that have spent money on plans that gave no intuitive indication that implied it was an error.

I have spent money on the site, in support of the site and its services, and forwarded in game funds to artists that bolster the community. I would love to continue that show of support, when i have available spending funds, if not also showing my support of the art produced by the site itself, and to the idea of Ancients as a whole. This is another blow to my confidence in the idea that I can truly trust my plans and that money can be faithfully spent, but this is not unreminiscent to the obelisk flair choice in favor of "consistency"

I, as of current, own the UMA shown in this image, but the gems spent both on the acquisition of the dragon, and for the uma of itself, are only half for naught because i cant trust a scry of the dragon i currently own, on site.

scry_19.png

As of making this thread there were 3,232 Auraboas that existed with the old rendition of Paisley (picked for the simplicity of numbers) and 1,520 of that number were G1 Auraboas that needed the deliberate application of the gene.

While it is not a significant number in comparison to either the existing number of dragons on the site as a whole, nor in comparison to all Auraboas on the site regardless of the application of Fern or Paisley, I deliberately bring that number to attention because there were people that enjoyed the older version — and not unlikely, still prefer it — and sought it out. These numbers, notably, do not include the existing plans that people have made in anticipation of acquiring said genes.

In addition, the mention of the swirl pattern changing width and consistency feels incongruent to other modern breeds that have a thicker width and consistency than Skydancers and Coatls. I am of the opinion that Skydancers and Coatls could even be improved with the reverse decision, but I did not come here to suggest a change to a gene that has been on the site for a number of years now. The sentiment goes both ways, in which people have planned and coordinated around a version of the gene that they grew accustomed to, and there would likely be backlash for the very same reasons.

This is why there was such an uproar regarding the change of style regarding Obelisk manes and the Flair gene. The lead choice of the poll was for the change be reversed specifically for Obelisks, not for the style to suddenly be applied to all breeds in retaliation, or style preference. This change to Fern/Paisley leads me to believe that the understanding or comprehension to what people were saying was not held to high enough esteem that it would be remembered when even considering these types of changes moving forward.

[edit: follow-up thoughts on this tangent have been consolidated here for convenience]

I have also been reminded that there was a point made that ancient parallel genes can look different from modern versions. Why is there preferential treatment to some genes and not others when deciding to revert stylistic changes?
5AHK8Y7.png •Ripley
•Queer
•He/Him
•Aquarius
•Art Shop : Working
ZLIMzvY.gifw0IsqjS.gif6sfJde7.gifrjuURyp.gif
W5O5MZj.png __digitalmirage.gif
what was the change you're referring to
EXGvy53.gif
mlHpBMC.png
lAvpyOQ.png
MUYNhfy.png
hqshPwn.png
XyTWbuc.png
PiAyg8i.png
o9yS1eq.png
0uVMYap.png
vpVvPWV.png
glXxMGc.png
@ferspnai the change i am referring to is the top feather layer of the wings, headcrest, and tail of paisley, and the swirl width and pattern of the primary and secondary iteration.

unfortunately i dont have a comprehensive comparison because i did not anticipate that this sort of change would be made. these images are courtesy of a user on tumblr, which conveniently is not obscured by a skin, for the sake of demonstration

edit: images have been removed for sake of reducing redundancy, since they are used in the post below this one
@ferspnai the change i am referring to is the top feather layer of the wings, headcrest, and tail of paisley, and the swirl width and pattern of the primary and secondary iteration.

unfortunately i dont have a comprehensive comparison because i did not anticipate that this sort of change would be made. these images are courtesy of a user on tumblr, which conveniently is not obscured by a skin, for the sake of demonstration

edit: images have been removed for sake of reducing redundancy, since they are used in the post below this one
5AHK8Y7.png •Ripley
•Queer
•He/Him
•Aquarius
[quote name="ferspnai" date="2024-02-18 22:48:00" ] what was the change you're referring to [/quote] A "fix" for Paisley went in earlier tonight that made it more consistent with breeds such as Coatls and Skydancers, as well as fixing a highlight issue. Before, it looked like this (pardon my scry using a linebreaking tert, it's all I had on hand): [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/43ea81f988e2c674128bba868315c9d2/138c6c422e0c6cc0-51/s400x600/ca15a88414e955d55c19ca82f643f772487fbcc9.png[/img] But now, it looks like this: [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/be6c6b3e50b78217139331b825a7e541/138c6c422e0c6cc0-bc/s400x600/541fda094534dc4f8672da7315b927a2e4b4c741.png[/img] Like the Obelisk Flair mane incident at the end of 2021, the userbase had very little indication that the top wing section looking as it did was a bug until the fix went in. (Not everybody lurks the error threads.) The highlight bug is excusable, but changing how the entire gene looks when it was presumed to be a stylistic choice on the artist's part is not- at least not without a heads-up WAY closer to the release of Auraboas. It's really annoying to see this happen again in my time on the site. Support for a reversal. Edit: Ack, ninja'd as I was typing this up! Sorry for a double ping! Edit 2: Everyone's already pointed out the old version's consistency with Obelisk manes already, but I think it's worth mentioning that those feathers [i]are actually labeled as a "mane" in the skin template for Auraboas.[/i] So that just ruins it even more, doesn't it? Food for thought.
ferspnai wrote on 2024-02-18 22:48:00:
A "fix" for Paisley went in earlier tonight that made it more consistent with breeds such as Coatls and Skydancers, as well as fixing a highlight issue.
Before, it looked like this (pardon my scry using a linebreaking tert, it's all I had on hand):
ca15a88414e955d55c19ca82f643f772487fbcc9.png

But now, it looks like this:
541fda094534dc4f8672da7315b927a2e4b4c741.png

Like the Obelisk Flair mane incident at the end of 2021, the userbase had very little indication that the top wing section looking as it did was a bug until the fix went in. (Not everybody lurks the error threads.) The highlight bug is excusable, but changing how the entire gene looks when it was presumed to be a stylistic choice on the artist's part is not- at least not without a heads-up WAY closer to the release of Auraboas.

It's really annoying to see this happen again in my time on the site. Support for a reversal.

Edit: Ack, ninja'd as I was typing this up! Sorry for a double ping!

Edit 2: Everyone's already pointed out the old version's consistency with Obelisk manes already, but I think it's worth mentioning that those feathers are actually labeled as a "mane" in the skin template for Auraboas. So that just ruins it even more, doesn't it? Food for thought.
Exusiai from Arknights, lying face-first on the ground. Her halo is a distance away from her. Bolt/Azzy/Nia
she/they | fr + 2 | avatar
I wish I could Lorem Ipsum my way through life like people Lorem Ipsum through their dragon bios. (picture source)
Aw, that's a shame, the old version is much more visually dynamic.
Aw, that's a shame, the old version is much more visually dynamic.
EXGvy53.gif
mlHpBMC.png
lAvpyOQ.png
MUYNhfy.png
hqshPwn.png
XyTWbuc.png
PiAyg8i.png
o9yS1eq.png
0uVMYap.png
vpVvPWV.png
glXxMGc.png
Here's another example but with the male pose from one of my breeding cards. I like things about both versions, but overall it was an unhappy surprise since I don't stalk the gene error report threads [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/905003/90500265_350.png?mtime=ZZWInAlcaiQ.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/iUU6wve.jpg[/img]
Here's another example but with the male pose from one of my breeding cards. I like things about both versions, but overall it was an unhappy surprise since I don't stalk the gene error report threads

90500265_350.png?mtime=ZZWInAlcaiQ.png
iUU6wve.jpg

jKNxJDc.png 93911943.png 93991508.png 93890069.png 92702429.png
Even though I do think the original was pretty neat, no support tbh. I feel like the bug report was pretty clear about the fix that was gonna go through. It's a shame, and it's indicative of a wider problem of staff needing a way to catch what they consider to be bugs before they go live on site and we inevitably become attached to them. Edit: am going to share my own 'boas that got changed with the fix. I still stand by my general opinion that people should just try to move on and take things as they come, but yeesh. Does kinda suck a bit. For reference these images were saved in November '23 so there's a LOT that's outdated about them. [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/04b616c54562ca67b49ead689ed7be70/d643eccdd1629c84-ca/s400x600/fb15db32bc307d88e69c0323eebbbe4e3c5f8b70.png[/img] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/9b7b556e27cec1ec1ccb7d903eb2bd5e/d643eccdd1629c84-53/s400x600/35de29e261aa879cdd74e116023450ec3fc9dace.png[/img] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/89791416][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/897915/89791416_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/83113083][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/831131/83113083_350.png[/img][/url]
Even though I do think the original was pretty neat, no support tbh. I feel like the bug report was pretty clear about the fix that was gonna go through. It's a shame, and it's indicative of a wider problem of staff needing a way to catch what they consider to be bugs before they go live on site and we inevitably become attached to them.

Edit: am going to share my own 'boas that got changed with the fix. I still stand by my general opinion that people should just try to move on and take things as they come, but yeesh. Does kinda suck a bit.

For reference these images were saved in November '23 so there's a LOT that's outdated about them.
fb15db32bc307d88e69c0323eebbbe4e3c5f8b70.png
35de29e261aa879cdd74e116023450ec3fc9dace.png

89791416_350.png
83113083_350.png
Pressed Morning Glory Venex
they/them
_^___^
(=0ω0=)
23378621.png Pressed Moonflower
Oh what the heck??! I took a minibreak after notn to avoid burnout and I guess I missed this awful change??

I bought so many dragons based on scries, some of which featured this gene, and now it's been changed so much that it will almost certainly render all those plans useless! >: (

Full support. I'm tired of making plans and spending money on gems to gene them, only for the gene visuals to change (usually for the worse in my opinion) and waste my efforts and funds.
Oh what the heck??! I took a minibreak after notn to avoid burnout and I guess I missed this awful change??

I bought so many dragons based on scries, some of which featured this gene, and now it's been changed so much that it will almost certainly render all those plans useless! >: (

Full support. I'm tired of making plans and spending money on gems to gene them, only for the gene visuals to change (usually for the worse in my opinion) and waste my efforts and funds.
rv0xzcJ.gif wA5lAlD.pngxNTxlcy.jpg
@Lyvenex I do not disagree with the sentiment that these sort of changes should be caught sooner and acted upon with priority.

But for the sake of argument, this was a stylistic choice that was reviewed and approved for the release of the breed. When the comparison is made to the Flaunt/Flair change on Obelisks, it is because they were released with the stylistic choice that their mane was different than other breeds.

This is a post hoc change that, even if stated in the gene error thread, I should not be counted on to check back and ensure that there might be changes to a gene that was stylistically chosen to be different. It is further not my responsibility to keep such close tabs on what is being documented as an error or not, since I play this game for the enjoyment of it, not so I act as a managerial director for which items deserve to be changed or not.

So again, my disappointment lays within the wounded faith that I cannot count on the site to release breeds, genes, or possibly apparel, without fretting that a feature I enjoy is slated for change without the clear intuitive assumption that it is an error within the nature I am familiar with (ie, color errors, masking issues, stray pixels, etc.)
@Lyvenex I do not disagree with the sentiment that these sort of changes should be caught sooner and acted upon with priority.

But for the sake of argument, this was a stylistic choice that was reviewed and approved for the release of the breed. When the comparison is made to the Flaunt/Flair change on Obelisks, it is because they were released with the stylistic choice that their mane was different than other breeds.

This is a post hoc change that, even if stated in the gene error thread, I should not be counted on to check back and ensure that there might be changes to a gene that was stylistically chosen to be different. It is further not my responsibility to keep such close tabs on what is being documented as an error or not, since I play this game for the enjoyment of it, not so I act as a managerial director for which items deserve to be changed or not.

So again, my disappointment lays within the wounded faith that I cannot count on the site to release breeds, genes, or possibly apparel, without fretting that a feature I enjoy is slated for change without the clear intuitive assumption that it is an error within the nature I am familiar with (ie, color errors, masking issues, stray pixels, etc.)
5AHK8Y7.png •Ripley
•Queer
•He/Him
•Aquarius
Full support. This was not a bug. It was a design choice. There was zero reason to expect such a dramatic alteration to a gene available at launch
Full support. This was not a bug. It was a design choice. There was zero reason to expect such a dramatic alteration to a gene available at launch
sBdLZtA.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 39 40