Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Holiday Disappointment
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hi there @StaticSteampunk! We're sorry to hear you aren't a fan of the more recent festival offerings.

In general, we're going to try new ideas as well as provide players with a variety of options because—as you can see in this thread alone—everyone has a different aesthetic and preference!

Art is subjective and everyone has different tastes, preferred themes, looks, etc. And that's okay! In a community as large and diverse as ours, though, these preferences can vary widely. So much so that the likelihood of hitting the mark with 100% of players 100% of the time is pretty low. We understand that not everyone will be a fan of what we offer in any of our free content updates.

Either way, your feedback has been documented and hopefully our next content update will have something more exciting for you!
Hi there @StaticSteampunk! We're sorry to hear you aren't a fan of the more recent festival offerings.

In general, we're going to try new ideas as well as provide players with a variety of options because—as you can see in this thread alone—everyone has a different aesthetic and preference!

Art is subjective and everyone has different tastes, preferred themes, looks, etc. And that's okay! In a community as large and diverse as ours, though, these preferences can vary widely. So much so that the likelihood of hitting the mark with 100% of players 100% of the time is pretty low. We understand that not everyone will be a fan of what we offer in any of our free content updates.

Either way, your feedback has been documented and hopefully our next content update will have something more exciting for you!
Oh yeah, on the subject of profession apparel: I think it's better suited to general apparel releases rather than fest releases. For instance, I don't yet have a clan blacksmith, but if I did, they might be any color - maybe they're ocean teal, maybe vibrant tropical colors, maybe forest green. I'd rather have multiple different palette swaps of profession apparel so I can get something that suits my own blacksmith, scholar, etc. (Steampunk apparel is wonderful for this - I can have a mechanic in any color I want.) Fest stuff is more limited by the flight's colors, so it makes sense to have it be more universal.
Oh yeah, on the subject of profession apparel: I think it's better suited to general apparel releases rather than fest releases. For instance, I don't yet have a clan blacksmith, but if I did, they might be any color - maybe they're ocean teal, maybe vibrant tropical colors, maybe forest green. I'd rather have multiple different palette swaps of profession apparel so I can get something that suits my own blacksmith, scholar, etc. (Steampunk apparel is wonderful for this - I can have a mechanic in any color I want.) Fest stuff is more limited by the flight's colors, so it makes sense to have it be more universal.
Bubbly Buddy Razanei Lineage Project
Virtual Hibden
Breed Out the Ugly Challenge
id say like half of the fest apparel i either really love or dont care for too much, i dont think theyre going to run out of ideas any time soon though. in a way i like the, less liked? items because it gives me a challenge to find a way to make them work
id say like half of the fest apparel i either really love or dont care for too much, i dont think theyre going to run out of ideas any time soon though. in a way i like the, less liked? items because it gives me a challenge to find a way to make them work
LVVfHp2.png | FR+3
| elune adore
| wishlist
| adopts
86128068.pngw7Yv8Mj.png
[quote name="Achaius" date="2024-01-30 12:48:07" ] Oh yeah, on the subject of profession apparel: I think it's better suited to general apparel releases rather than fest releases. For instance, I don't yet have a clan blacksmith, but if I did, they might be any color - maybe they're ocean teal, maybe vibrant tropical colors, maybe forest green. I'd rather have multiple different palette swaps of profession apparel so I can get something that suits my own blacksmith, scholar, etc. [/quote] My exact thoughts. I do enjoy profession-based fest apparel, but I always find them difficult to utilize due to the lack of color variation. I don’t want them to disappear, though. It’s just my two cents.
Achaius wrote on 2024-01-30 12:48:07:
Oh yeah, on the subject of profession apparel: I think it's better suited to general apparel releases rather than fest releases. For instance, I don't yet have a clan blacksmith, but if I did, they might be any color - maybe they're ocean teal, maybe vibrant tropical colors, maybe forest green. I'd rather have multiple different palette swaps of profession apparel so I can get something that suits my own blacksmith, scholar, etc.

My exact thoughts. I do enjoy profession-based fest apparel, but I always find them difficult to utilize due to the lack of color variation. I don’t want them to disappear, though. It’s just my two cents.
5255079-8Mmx39RQgBpdGm07.jpg
Honestly it's the opposite for me. Before the "profession" stuff was too specific for me. I have no use for a dragon with a giant spanner wrench or an engine attached to my dragon's back, I don't have dragons that those items would suit.

However the more recent stuff? Waaaay more usable to me. Those arcane pants are real pretty. The nature antler ribbon flowers, the shadow mushroom incense both super useful and I've slapped them on a lot of things. These items might be more general use but they also have a lot of elemental flavor to them that doesn't make them not fit with the other items available. They explore the other themes those flights entail. They're very nice.

I'm also not a huge fan of locking general use "profession" items behind "fest apparel". Like yeah you've got a blacksmith, are you honestly gonna shell out the dough for those forgetools? What about a fisherman? The harpoon and the big net items are both previous fest items, there's no other options besides the water fest stuff. Is this kind of thing fun? I'd rather have these kinds of items be general releases, available at any time.
Honestly it's the opposite for me. Before the "profession" stuff was too specific for me. I have no use for a dragon with a giant spanner wrench or an engine attached to my dragon's back, I don't have dragons that those items would suit.

However the more recent stuff? Waaaay more usable to me. Those arcane pants are real pretty. The nature antler ribbon flowers, the shadow mushroom incense both super useful and I've slapped them on a lot of things. These items might be more general use but they also have a lot of elemental flavor to them that doesn't make them not fit with the other items available. They explore the other themes those flights entail. They're very nice.

I'm also not a huge fan of locking general use "profession" items behind "fest apparel". Like yeah you've got a blacksmith, are you honestly gonna shell out the dough for those forgetools? What about a fisherman? The harpoon and the big net items are both previous fest items, there's no other options besides the water fest stuff. Is this kind of thing fun? I'd rather have these kinds of items be general releases, available at any time.
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
[quote name="Halszkaraptor" date="2024-01-30 13:37:56" ] Honestly it's the opposite for me. Before the "profession" stuff was too specific for me. I have no use for a dragon with a giant spanner wrench or an engine attached to my dragon's back, I don't have dragons that those items would suit. However the more recent stuff? Waaaay more usable to me. Those arcane pants are real pretty. The nature antler ribbon flowers, the shadow mushroom incense both super useful and I've slapped them on a lot of things. These items might be more general use but they also have a lot of elemental flavor to them that doesn't make them not fit with the other items available. They explore the other themes those flights entail. They're very nice. I'm also not a huge fan of locking general use "profession" items behind "fest apparel". Like yeah you've got a blacksmith, are you honestly gonna shell out the dough for those forgetools? What about a fisherman? The harpoon and the big net items are both previous fest items, there's no other options besides the water fest stuff. Is this kind of thing fun? I'd rather have these kinds of items be general releases, available at any time. [/quote] Honestly 100% my feelings too. The profession apparel is cool, but I just can't use it 90% of the time. It might go on one single dragon, or it might not because I may never obtain that hyper specific dragon that does look good with this apparel. That drill Earth got was one of the most disappointing fest pieces we've ever had imo, aside from the mashed potato pauldrons. It's so hyper-specific that I can't imagine ever needing it, and the way it sits on the dragon looks bad. I would much prefer they were general releases, it gives a lot more options and makes them way more available to the average player. It's still impossible to this day to make a blacksmith dragon when there is a blacksmith flight. Meanwhile, this little weird experimental general stuff is really fun and better to work with. It always looks like it'll be hard to work with until you actually get stuck into dressing and I'm suddenly like oh man I need to put this on everything. Like those steel rings and fire? I love that apparel piece so much. Fossil Facissmile is one of my favourite apparel pieces period. I accidentally fell in love with Light's big goopy compass. Ultimately it is like Aeq said, we all have pretty different preferences and it's hard to cater to everyone all the time. Our differing opinions on the same apparel piece proves exactly that. The drill works for you, but I hated it. Meanwhile the winterberries works for me, but you hate it. I like the "aesthetic" pieces because I can actually use them on multiple dragons who are all completely different from each other, you like the profession pieces because it feels more thematic and catered to the Flight. Such is life.
Halszkaraptor wrote on 2024-01-30 13:37:56:

Honestly 100% my feelings too. The profession apparel is cool, but I just can't use it 90% of the time. It might go on one single dragon, or it might not because I may never obtain that hyper specific dragon that does look good with this apparel. That drill Earth got was one of the most disappointing fest pieces we've ever had imo, aside from the mashed potato pauldrons. It's so hyper-specific that I can't imagine ever needing it, and the way it sits on the dragon looks bad.

I would much prefer they were general releases, it gives a lot more options and makes them way more available to the average player. It's still impossible to this day to make a blacksmith dragon when there is a blacksmith flight.

Meanwhile, this little weird experimental general stuff is really fun and better to work with. It always looks like it'll be hard to work with until you actually get stuck into dressing and I'm suddenly like oh man I need to put this on everything. Like those steel rings and fire? I love that apparel piece so much. Fossil Facissmile is one of my favourite apparel pieces period. I accidentally fell in love with Light's big goopy compass.

Ultimately it is like Aeq said, we all have pretty different preferences and it's hard to cater to everyone all the time. Our differing opinions on the same apparel piece proves exactly that. The drill works for you, but I hated it. Meanwhile the winterberries works for me, but you hate it.
I like the "aesthetic" pieces because I can actually use them on multiple dragons who are all completely different from each other, you like the profession pieces because it feels more thematic and catered to the Flight. Such is life.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
my thoughts are that this is my favorite holiday apparel piece in MONTHS, maybe years <3
my thoughts are that this is my favorite holiday apparel piece in MONTHS, maybe years <3
79645518.png81164874.png81260751.png81324635.png
The only fest pieces from the past two rotations that I haven't liked are the seashell drapes, blossoming sash, and the drill ironically enough. There have been years where I disliked almost everything, but that's alright as far as I'm concerned. Actually, I think the three years prior to the last two were nearly all misses for me!

Now, I don't really like the auras or most of the fest genes for different reasons, though there are situations where I would and have considered or gone forth in using them. Not everything is going to be to your taste, but there's always next year!
The only fest pieces from the past two rotations that I haven't liked are the seashell drapes, blossoming sash, and the drill ironically enough. There have been years where I disliked almost everything, but that's alright as far as I'm concerned. Actually, I think the three years prior to the last two were nearly all misses for me!

Now, I don't really like the auras or most of the fest genes for different reasons, though there are situations where I would and have considered or gone forth in using them. Not everything is going to be to your taste, but there's always next year!
1f7Wab5.png x F5AeglI.png x x
x
x
< - avatar
x

ahzidal (captain)
they / them
about
I've actually been really enjoying the last year of fest apparel! Even those arcane pants lol. They fit my arcane rep Perfectly it was actually rlly funny haha they look just like her skin. But at the same time I've yet to have the fire fest apparel fit a dragon I have, including my rep, but I don't think that's a problem with the design, just that I haven't found the right dragon for it or that it doesn't fit my lair atm. There's actually a lot of fest apparel that I don't like, but that just means that it's not for me. Like the foliage blind from a few years ago, but clearly I wasn't the target audience for that lol. Not everything is going to be a hit with everyone, doesn't mean it's all bad.
I've actually been really enjoying the last year of fest apparel! Even those arcane pants lol. They fit my arcane rep Perfectly it was actually rlly funny haha they look just like her skin. But at the same time I've yet to have the fire fest apparel fit a dragon I have, including my rep, but I don't think that's a problem with the design, just that I haven't found the right dragon for it or that it doesn't fit my lair atm. There's actually a lot of fest apparel that I don't like, but that just means that it's not for me. Like the foliage blind from a few years ago, but clearly I wasn't the target audience for that lol. Not everything is going to be a hit with everyone, doesn't mean it's all bad.
FObX7rS.png
73vKFNE.png
CbnK2Ej.png
ll0CfnD.png
Gf9Ba59.png
................................ aMzfVBq.png ................................ kBHm00y.png
rix3ppo.png
5hF3FGk.png
3hKoziR.png
OPS7bfK.png
Personally I quite love the drill, I think it's super cool and I'd love to see more apparel like it. At the same time, I love what we've currently been getting ! I don't find it 'uninspired' at all, even if the concepts for some apparel items aren't super unique.

I don't agree with some of the points made that fest apparel should be more generic/mass appealing, yes it's something all players are meant to participate in, but I'd argue to an extent everything on the site is, and the most important thing is that the apparel represents the flight well - whether it's reflective of the culture, aesthetic, lore, etc. And I think we should have a variety of all topics.

I will say that I feel some profession items should have non-fest equivalents in some way - not only due to the demand for color options but simply due to the fact that fest apparel is limited and for something like an aesthetic snowberry bush there's tons of alternatives for, say, a botanist dragon, but if you want to make a blacksmith and happened to miss the Flameforgers items, you're a little out of luck.
However that's less a problem and more an "it'd be cool if we had this"

The disappointment is something I totally get, but I think it's more a matter of preference than the actual quality of the items themselves.
Personally I quite love the drill, I think it's super cool and I'd love to see more apparel like it. At the same time, I love what we've currently been getting ! I don't find it 'uninspired' at all, even if the concepts for some apparel items aren't super unique.

I don't agree with some of the points made that fest apparel should be more generic/mass appealing, yes it's something all players are meant to participate in, but I'd argue to an extent everything on the site is, and the most important thing is that the apparel represents the flight well - whether it's reflective of the culture, aesthetic, lore, etc. And I think we should have a variety of all topics.

I will say that I feel some profession items should have non-fest equivalents in some way - not only due to the demand for color options but simply due to the fact that fest apparel is limited and for something like an aesthetic snowberry bush there's tons of alternatives for, say, a botanist dragon, but if you want to make a blacksmith and happened to miss the Flameforgers items, you're a little out of luck.
However that's less a problem and more an "it'd be cool if we had this"

The disappointment is something I totally get, but I think it's more a matter of preference than the actual quality of the items themselves.
dZN7FlK.pngSee progress on the Alchemy Flight!
tumblr_osrbsneh5V1v8lm95o3_r1_75sq.gif • Any pronouns
• I love random pings
• I subscribe to the threads I make
1 2 3 4 5 6 7