Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Roundsey Ticket Limits
1 2 3 4 5 6
Lotteries aren't fair. They're not meant to be fair. They're meant to benefit the organization offering the lottery, and that's exactly what Roundsey does.

Lotteries aren't fair. They're not meant to be fair. They're meant to benefit the organization offering the lottery, and that's exactly what Roundsey does.

No support.

It's a raffle. It is what it is.

You up your odds by spending more; it's how raffles work. You enter knowing that there's a huge chance you won't win anything.

It's worth noting that I've won Roundsey prizes twice ... one with a bunch of tickets bought, one with hardly any.
No support.

It's a raffle. It is what it is.

You up your odds by spending more; it's how raffles work. You enter knowing that there's a huge chance you won't win anything.

It's worth noting that I've won Roundsey prizes twice ... one with a bunch of tickets bought, one with hardly any.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
Soft no support.

I don't find Roundsey to be a motivating treasure sink. Once there was a really cool plague dragon as a prize. It wasn't even the first place one, I don't think. I had like 5 mil in my bank, I think? Possibly just 3. Either way, that was an awful lot of tickets lol.

I won absolutely nothing. Not even a runner up prize.

I actually forgot Roundsey existed until now because I never bothered with it again.

It's not meant to be fair even if you have the funds to buy an obscene amount of tickets. Raffles in general are not fair. "Just don't play it" feels like a cop-out but really, honestly - my lesson from that gamble was that it's better to hoard my treasure and buy the things I want from the AH/other users than potentially chuck it into a black hole.

It's terrible that someone cheated at it and I actually do think the people who played should get refunded due to that.

A counter-suggestion:

Perhaps you shouldn't be able to enter Roundsey if your account doesn't meet certain criteria. Off the top of my head ideas for account criteria:

-Is not brand new (I know this would exclude innocent newbies, but it would ideally be for a reasonable amount of time to compensate)

-Less than X amount of logins per month for the last X months

-Less than X amount of treasure earned over the last month

These ideas are not intended to cause harm to innocent players but intended to force cheaters to play on their extra accounts, this risking them more, so maybe they'll get nixed before they can mess up a Roundsey again, if that makes sense?
Soft no support.

I don't find Roundsey to be a motivating treasure sink. Once there was a really cool plague dragon as a prize. It wasn't even the first place one, I don't think. I had like 5 mil in my bank, I think? Possibly just 3. Either way, that was an awful lot of tickets lol.

I won absolutely nothing. Not even a runner up prize.

I actually forgot Roundsey existed until now because I never bothered with it again.

It's not meant to be fair even if you have the funds to buy an obscene amount of tickets. Raffles in general are not fair. "Just don't play it" feels like a cop-out but really, honestly - my lesson from that gamble was that it's better to hoard my treasure and buy the things I want from the AH/other users than potentially chuck it into a black hole.

It's terrible that someone cheated at it and I actually do think the people who played should get refunded due to that.

A counter-suggestion:

Perhaps you shouldn't be able to enter Roundsey if your account doesn't meet certain criteria. Off the top of my head ideas for account criteria:

-Is not brand new (I know this would exclude innocent newbies, but it would ideally be for a reasonable amount of time to compensate)

These ideas are not intended to cause harm to innocent players but intended to force cheaters to play on their extra accounts, this risking them more, so maybe they'll get nixed before they can mess up a Roundsey again, if that makes sense?
nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
[quote name="GrimoireBlack" date="2024-01-20 09:16:01" ] A counter-suggestion: Perhaps you shouldn't be able to enter Roundsey if your account doesn't meet certain criteria. Off the top of my head ideas for account criteria: -Is not brand new (I know this would exclude innocent newbies, but it would ideally be for a reasonable amount of time to compensate) -Less than X amount of logins per month for the last X months -Less than X amount of treasure earned over the last month These ideas are not intended to cause harm to innocent players but intended to force cheaters to play on their extra accounts, this risking them more, so maybe they'll get nixed before they can mess up a Roundsey again, if that makes sense? [/quote] This isn't even a counter-suggestion. This is exactly what I've suggested in the original post. This was originally in the context of barriers for entry plus a one-ticket limit, but I feel much more strongly about a barrier for entry than a ticket limit. The two do not have to be tied. [quote name="Technician"] What the barrier for entry would be in the proposed model is up for discussion. I've thought about account age, a higher price for a single ticket, or a certain minimum lair size. I don't think any of these things would necessarily prevent multiple-account cheating entirely, but it would require significant effort with very little payoff, since each account would only be one extra ticket among thousands. Would these suggestions all potentially be a bit unfair to brand new players? Yes. But genuinely, I think that's fine. Being a 1-month old player and getting one of the most valuable items in the game would instantly change your entire play experience, and quite possibly for the worse. (I think of a new player who recently hatched an XXX G1 and was immediately beset by PMs and offers from all sides.) Perhaps it would suck a little more to be disqualified from the smaller prizes too, but a secondary suggestion to that is maybe adding a tier system to the raffle prizes that have different barriers for entry or costs associated with them.[/quote]
GrimoireBlack wrote on 2024-01-20 09:16:01:
A counter-suggestion:

This isn't even a counter-suggestion. This is exactly what I've suggested in the original post. This was originally in the context of barriers for entry plus a one-ticket limit, but I feel much more strongly about a barrier for entry than a ticket limit. The two do not have to be tied.

Technician wrote:
What the barrier for entry would be in the proposed model is up for discussion. I've thought about account age, a higher price for a single ticket, or a certain minimum lair size. I don't think any of these things would necessarily prevent multiple-account cheating entirely, but it would require significant effort with very little payoff, since each account would only be one extra ticket among thousands.

Would these suggestions all potentially be a bit unfair to brand new players? Yes. But genuinely, I think that's fine. Being a 1-month old player and getting one of the most valuable items in the game would instantly change your entire play experience, and quite possibly for the worse. (I think of a new player who recently hatched an XXX G1 and was immediately beset by PMs and offers from all sides.) Perhaps it would suck a little more to be disqualified from the smaller prizes too, but a secondary suggestion to that is maybe adding a tier system to the raffle prizes that have different barriers for entry or costs associated with them.
fZVmdhk.png
[quote name="" date="2024-01-18 09:30:17" ] [quote name="post_55992735"]Why?[/quote] The tickets/entries have to either be free or limited for a raffle to be fair (so that everyone has an equal chance to win). [Edit: Not interested in discussing it/will never change my mind] [/quote] You get back what you put in to this game. Casual players will always have less than hardcore players. If you really want to go head-to-head with people throwing in thousands of tickets on a raffle one week, save up the treasure to do so. Since you can throw in thousands of tickets and win nothing, that also feels like it balances out the fairness. There's also an argument to be made that raffles aren't supposed to be fair in the first place anyways.
" wrote:
post_55992735 wrote:
Why?
The tickets/entries have to either be free or limited for a raffle to be fair (so that everyone has an equal chance to win).

[Edit: Not interested in discussing it/will never change my mind]

You get back what you put in to this game. Casual players will always have less than hardcore players. If you really want to go head-to-head with people throwing in thousands of tickets on a raffle one week, save up the treasure to do so. Since you can throw in thousands of tickets and win nothing, that also feels like it balances out the fairness. There's also an argument to be made that raffles aren't supposed to be fair in the first place anyways.
The only thing that would discourage people from multi-accounting specifically for Roundsey would be to allow accounts to win multiple prizes. With any configuration where accounts are limited to winning only once, the actual optimal strategy for winning prizes is to have an arbitrary number of accounts who are each holding one ticket.

For example, let's say a player has enough money to buy 500 tickets. If they buy all 500 tickets with one account, as soon as the winning ticket is drawn by that player, the other 499 are removed from play. If that player has somehow managed to create 500 sock accounts, regardless of how many times they win a prize, none of their additional tickets are removed from play. Obviously this is a ridiculous example, but the benefits of socking remain present even with a small number of additional accounts.

Any kind of minimum activity requirement (logins, moneymaking, or especially account age) is fairly trivially gamed for a determined sockmaster, and would likely only keep legitimate players from participating. For example, I've been here for almost 10 years, and I'm fairly sure that there have been weeks where I didn't actually make more than 20kt, since my needs are low and I make money mostly from exalting in large batches maybe once per month, usually when either my flight is pushing or when there's a really good dom fight going on. Should I be excluded from using my stored treasure from doing this for literally a decade on Roundsey?
The only thing that would discourage people from multi-accounting specifically for Roundsey would be to allow accounts to win multiple prizes. With any configuration where accounts are limited to winning only once, the actual optimal strategy for winning prizes is to have an arbitrary number of accounts who are each holding one ticket.

For example, let's say a player has enough money to buy 500 tickets. If they buy all 500 tickets with one account, as soon as the winning ticket is drawn by that player, the other 499 are removed from play. If that player has somehow managed to create 500 sock accounts, regardless of how many times they win a prize, none of their additional tickets are removed from play. Obviously this is a ridiculous example, but the benefits of socking remain present even with a small number of additional accounts.

Any kind of minimum activity requirement (logins, moneymaking, or especially account age) is fairly trivially gamed for a determined sockmaster, and would likely only keep legitimate players from participating. For example, I've been here for almost 10 years, and I'm fairly sure that there have been weeks where I didn't actually make more than 20kt, since my needs are low and I make money mostly from exalting in large batches maybe once per month, usually when either my flight is pushing or when there's a really good dom fight going on. Should I be excluded from using my stored treasure from doing this for literally a decade on Roundsey?
An Ice emblem on a background made of ice and lava. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground.An Ice emblem on a background of ice shaped like a Christmas ornament. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground."An
I don't think any changes need to be done to the Raffle.

You enter, you risk not winning.

If you cheat, you might win, but if you do win, all your accounts will end up banned so sucks to be a cheat.

If you're going to get butt hurt because you didn't win, you shouldn't be gambling
If you're going to get butt hurt because someone cheated and won, and then got banned from the game you shouldn't be gambling.
If you're going to be butt hurt in general, you should honestly just go take some chill *****, and probably not be gambling.

If you want adjustments made for KS items, for example, being 'fairly' raffled off, I would suggest that the Staff do it manually.

- An announcement is posted, alerting everyone that the raffle will open on Date Time and close on Date Time
- Everyone who wants to enter sends 1t or 1 gravel or whatever the staff decide, to the Specified Admin Account, via the Specified Method (eg, pm, cr, whatever)
- Admin livestream the drawing of the raffle, on Whatever Day, though whatever means they want to do it (eg, online randomiser, a freaking hat full of paper slips, whatever)
- Everyone freaking lives with the results.

Honestly. They're pixels. Pretty pixels, but still pixels.

**everything is general. no one is being specifically pointed at through the above use of the word 'you' and its associates.
I don't think any changes need to be done to the Raffle.

You enter, you risk not winning.

If you cheat, you might win, but if you do win, all your accounts will end up banned so sucks to be a cheat.

If you're going to get butt hurt because you didn't win, you shouldn't be gambling
If you're going to get butt hurt because someone cheated and won, and then got banned from the game you shouldn't be gambling.
If you're going to be butt hurt in general, you should honestly just go take some chill *****, and probably not be gambling.

If you want adjustments made for KS items, for example, being 'fairly' raffled off, I would suggest that the Staff do it manually.

- An announcement is posted, alerting everyone that the raffle will open on Date Time and close on Date Time
- Everyone who wants to enter sends 1t or 1 gravel or whatever the staff decide, to the Specified Admin Account, via the Specified Method (eg, pm, cr, whatever)
- Admin livestream the drawing of the raffle, on Whatever Day, though whatever means they want to do it (eg, online randomiser, a freaking hat full of paper slips, whatever)
- Everyone freaking lives with the results.

Honestly. They're pixels. Pretty pixels, but still pixels.

**everything is general. no one is being specifically pointed at through the above use of the word 'you' and its associates.
135783.png
92556387.png

Activity | Projects | UMAs
Farming Notes
Pretty Fodder

72964495.png
86867754.png
No support; its funny to me how Roundsey must be some younger players introduction to gambling
No support; its funny to me how Roundsey must be some younger players introduction to gambling
62a28eab19423fd06c81c0b57758ea57b3848a75.png
42d22711d27254841bd07f96db6eb09fe438054c.png
idk about a ticket limit because the crown conversation brought up how people can buy a significantly high amount of tickets and still lose

what roundsey would REALLY benefit from a winner's cooldown

if you win one week, you can't participate the next week

a lot of people that win are repeat winners

also some of yall are acting really weird about this - personally i dont consider raffle ticket buying a form of gambling
idk about a ticket limit because the crown conversation brought up how people can buy a significantly high amount of tickets and still lose

what roundsey would REALLY benefit from a winner's cooldown

if you win one week, you can't participate the next week

a lot of people that win are repeat winners

also some of yall are acting really weird about this - personally i dont consider raffle ticket buying a form of gambling
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2024-01-30 11:34:37" ] also some of yall are acting really weird about this - personally i dont consider raffle ticket buying a form of gambling [/quote] In what way is it not gambling?
hungryhobbits wrote on 2024-01-30 11:34:37:
In what way is it not gambling?
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
1 2 3 4 5 6