Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | PSA: Discord update
1 2 3
Please be careful spreading information like this! Clips recording can be an invasive setting, yes, but this feature was announced upon release and the Discord client notifies you every time clips is enabled when you join a voice call.

Discord can be a funky platform at times, but there is a lot less shadiness going on surrounding clips than is being spread around.
Please be careful spreading information like this! Clips recording can be an invasive setting, yes, but this feature was announced upon release and the Discord client notifies you every time clips is enabled when you join a voice call.

Discord can be a funky platform at times, but there is a lot less shadiness going on surrounding clips than is being spread around.
@SolitarySunrays I see, not a lot of ppl read the updates (including myself) and I'm glad ppl are notified when it's in use, but even so it's still a 'what is discord thinking-' moment :,)
@SolitarySunrays I see, not a lot of ppl read the updates (including myself) and I'm glad ppl are notified when it's in use, but even so it's still a 'what is discord thinking-' moment :,)
0nY9TgK.png
6kR982D.png
vjHxXR9.png
WKtl2lb.png
fkWjutW.png
I'll spread this to people I know just in case they didn't get the memo, thanks >.<
I'll spread this to people I know just in case they didn't get the memo, thanks >.<
KNiDL_Star_Rod_sprite.png 7nrEOpT.png
bYt72YT.png
Zn1clbn.png
9vwqdfK.png
tyEuRXe.png
9R2Unq1.png
CeZAyqc.png
lA1sWNh.png
Collector of gen 1 aethers, imperial enjoyer, old dragon admirer, sprite/nymph adorer
KNiDL_Star_Rod_icon.png
This is very, very important, just to let other people know. As someone with a large knowledge in cybersecurity (even though I don't have discord), this is necessary to learn about! Thanks for posting!!
This is very, very important, just to let other people know. As someone with a large knowledge in cybersecurity (even though I don't have discord), this is necessary to learn about! Thanks for posting!!
gziv3Ja.pnged1cxgE.pngQUIpVFE.pngoouioVf.pngmlHpBMC.png
Currently on a semi-hiatus, still online frequently.
Hyperfixated on history, science, comics, and the transformers franchise.
That Clips feature was announced back in October but I guess no one cared then since I heard about it yesterday. Oh well, privacy's dead anyway.

I gotta be honest, I'd be one fit of anger away from deleting it if I didn't still have use for it. Still beats Zoom.
That Clips feature was announced back in October but I guess no one cared then since I heard about it yesterday. Oh well, privacy's dead anyway.

I gotta be honest, I'd be one fit of anger away from deleting it if I didn't still have use for it. Still beats Zoom.
No tone tags, please. Just say what you mean. Will not read carrds.
YUzmw5z.png9Wis07O.pngYMPbu9R.png
Please for the love of all things good in this world STOP SPREADING THIS MISINFORMATION!

So first off, this was announced in October as an upcoming feature AND when it launched and it's not discord's fault people don't pay attention.

Secondly from the moment they were launched if you joined a chat where someone had clipping on it gave you a notice, and it gave the same notice if someone started clipping. It is not a safety or privacy violation, anyone could be using 3rd party software to record you any time you're in a discord call in general and not notify you at all, THAT is a safety and privacy violation.

Third, this is something people were asking for. A lot of people are turning to using discord over twitch and YouTube for streaming because it lets them better connect with their audiences and doesn't have the same restrictions. This isn't out of the blue or some random thing discord decided to launch, it was asked for by the community.

Should it have been turned off with the option to opt-in? Absolutely. But it's not the huge thing people are making it out to be and please stop spreading panic about it. Make people aware of it and let them turn it off if they want, but stop acting like it's the end of the world/discord did something so horrendous because it's not and they didn't and I'm just so sick of it at this point :/
Please for the love of all things good in this world STOP SPREADING THIS MISINFORMATION!

So first off, this was announced in October as an upcoming feature AND when it launched and it's not discord's fault people don't pay attention.

Secondly from the moment they were launched if you joined a chat where someone had clipping on it gave you a notice, and it gave the same notice if someone started clipping. It is not a safety or privacy violation, anyone could be using 3rd party software to record you any time you're in a discord call in general and not notify you at all, THAT is a safety and privacy violation.

Third, this is something people were asking for. A lot of people are turning to using discord over twitch and YouTube for streaming because it lets them better connect with their audiences and doesn't have the same restrictions. This isn't out of the blue or some random thing discord decided to launch, it was asked for by the community.

Should it have been turned off with the option to opt-in? Absolutely. But it's not the huge thing people are making it out to be and please stop spreading panic about it. Make people aware of it and let them turn it off if they want, but stop acting like it's the end of the world/discord did something so horrendous because it's not and they didn't and I'm just so sick of it at this point :/
TW8ViqF.pngrix3ppo.png
Pings Welcome! Especially if you're quoting me XD
@SpiritMessenger Thank you for putting it better than I could! As I said, I myself don't always agree with Discord's changes and practices but that doesn't mean said changes are malicious or harmful. I'm more frightened of the fact that some people will believe the first source they see on this kind of news just because it sounds scary than some of the actual additions and changes added to a platform like Discord, such as the clips feature.
@SpiritMessenger Thank you for putting it better than I could! As I said, I myself don't always agree with Discord's changes and practices but that doesn't mean said changes are malicious or harmful. I'm more frightened of the fact that some people will believe the first source they see on this kind of news just because it sounds scary than some of the actual additions and changes added to a platform like Discord, such as the clips feature.
@SolitarySunrays

One server I own and two more I help out in already had the freak out over this because every screenshot source that's spreading around the big socials is making it out to be something so horrible and scary and I'm just.....I'm so sick of it tbh. And it reads like people looking for any excuse to hate on discord which I'm also tired of. It's not a crisis, it's a change and that's not a bad and scary thing in every case.
@SolitarySunrays

One server I own and two more I help out in already had the freak out over this because every screenshot source that's spreading around the big socials is making it out to be something so horrible and scary and I'm just.....I'm so sick of it tbh. And it reads like people looking for any excuse to hate on discord which I'm also tired of. It's not a crisis, it's a change and that's not a bad and scary thing in every case.
TW8ViqF.pngrix3ppo.png
Pings Welcome! Especially if you're quoting me XD
100% sure discord was already recording everything.
100% sure discord was already recording everything.
Wow society is become more dystopian each day, I do use discord in the first place due to privacy concerns but yikes.
Wow society is become more dystopian each day, I do use discord in the first place due to privacy concerns but yikes.
ZqTATLu.png
mmoRz30.png
tw5SNNe.png
tyEuRXe.png
bhdEs05.png
1 2 3