Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Your lore has been Noped
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 20
I wouldnt say I ignore any site lore. I even like to take great inspiration form the canon breed lore. Sometimes my dragons are just as it says, sometimes theyre different. Just depends, I suppose.

I used to want to ignore canon dragon sizes but seeing the recent illustrations with the aether release showcasing how big the breeds are alongside eachother made me feel better about how the canon was.
I wouldnt say I ignore any site lore. I even like to take great inspiration form the canon breed lore. Sometimes my dragons are just as it says, sometimes theyre different. Just depends, I suppose.

I used to want to ignore canon dragon sizes but seeing the recent illustrations with the aether release showcasing how big the breeds are alongside eachother made me feel better about how the canon was.
[quote name="ChelleBelle" date="2023-04-24 07:38:27" ] Always pronounced Gaolers as "gow-lurs" and once my mind decides a pronunciation there's no changing it so oh well. [/quote] same x)
ChelleBelle wrote on 2023-04-24 07:38:27:
Always pronounced Gaolers as "gow-lurs" and once my mind decides a pronunciation there's no changing it so oh well.
same x)
I noped the size of veilspuns. Perhaps because of their small eyes my brain nopes them being very small-small creatures tend to have bigger eyes in comparison to their face.. they're like, somewhere between big dog and horse sized to me. Skydancers are horse sized definitely, too.
I noped the size of veilspuns. Perhaps because of their small eyes my brain nopes them being very small-small creatures tend to have bigger eyes in comparison to their face.. they're like, somewhere between big dog and horse sized to me. Skydancers are horse sized definitely, too.
KP5dTY9.pngz75WTQA.pngmc5NkFI.png679.png8096.png34787.png
that spirals are small.

ive headcanoned that spirals have the biggest size range of any dragon breed, but that on the large end they rival imperials in size, and on the small end are around the size of medium breeds. canon spiral size is just WAYYYY too small for my purposes gkfjhdlsgk
that spirals are small.

ive headcanoned that spirals have the biggest size range of any dragon breed, but that on the large end they rival imperials in size, and on the small end are around the size of medium breeds. canon spiral size is just WAYYYY too small for my purposes gkfjhdlsgk
8098.pngqoL2Zmd.png 43.png
44.png
40.png
31.png
21378.png
[quote name="Sallin" date="2023-04-23 18:11:36" ] Off the tope of my head... Only... Water dragons need to Learn how to breathe underwater...? Plague dragons not being too interested in Healing Magic. And maybe like. A couple other small things like that. Otherwise I find it quite fun to try to fit things into the established canon and just like, expand on things. Fill in gaps with headcanons and explanations for things that seem nonsensical. Not all dragons are going to be 100% like the stereotypes in the Encyclopedia, but it's fun looking at like, the underlying reasons why those stereotypes might have arisen. As my favourite breed, I've given them a lot of thought, so for me the Ridgeback hydrophobia + fish diet in a desert can absolutely make sense! They're a burrowing breed native to a desert, where the majority of the population are still in the Shifting Expanse. What's something to watch out for, given that the area is also prone to enormous storms? Flash Flooding. And you also don't want to dig up through like, an underground lake. They can probably use electricity to sense the presence of water and make sure that they avoid it in those situations, which then translates as a general wariness about water in general. That can reinforce itself as a Fear if all the other Ridgebacks around are reacting in the same way. If the dragons around aren't afraid of water, then the fear is less likely to develop. Ridgebacks from outside of the Shifting Expanse may not have quite the same !!! sensitivity to water as those born with the Lightning element, as well. The fish diet on top of all that is definitely a deliberate choice by the Stormcatcher when he made them, to force the Ridgebacks to be good at innovating. They can't just be big and powerful, they should be clever, too, and good at problem-solving. You need fish? Better go find them then. (Ridgebacks gain +1 to Resource Management Skill) You don't want to touch the water? Better figure out a way to get the fish then. (Ridgebacks gain +1 to Crafting skill) I think it's really fun how everyone can choose how free to be with their lore, though! So much creativity on display. [/quote] I love your ideas!! Also to add, deserts in real life are prone to flooding after storms too, so this makes a crazy amount of sense why they would be hydrophobic and yet still want fish! I would like to share my own theory if you don't mind. And it begins with cats. The ancestors of our domestic cat evolved in Africa, where they live in deserts. Strangely, despite not having any fish in their environment, they LOVE fish! It came from a strange evolutionary advantage where they crave certain vitamins and minerals that are rare in the deserts, but abundant in fish. I think at one point Ridgebacks ate another food source, and craved the same vitamins and minerals. When they discovered fish they changed their entire diet and soon they where only able to eat fish. That's my take anyway.
Sallin wrote on 2023-04-23 18:11:36:
Off the tope of my head...

Only... Water dragons need to Learn how to breathe underwater...? Plague dragons not being too interested in Healing Magic. And maybe like. A couple other small things like that.

Otherwise I find it quite fun to try to fit things into the established canon and just like, expand on things. Fill in gaps with headcanons and explanations for things that seem nonsensical. Not all dragons are going to be 100% like the stereotypes in the Encyclopedia, but it's fun looking at like, the underlying reasons why those stereotypes might have arisen.

As my favourite breed, I've given them a lot of thought, so for me the Ridgeback hydrophobia + fish diet in a desert can absolutely make sense!

They're a burrowing breed native to a desert, where the majority of the population are still in the Shifting Expanse. What's something to watch out for, given that the area is also prone to enormous storms? Flash Flooding. And you also don't want to dig up through like, an underground lake.
They can probably use electricity to sense the presence of water and make sure that they avoid it in those situations, which then translates as a general wariness about water in general. That can reinforce itself as a Fear if all the other Ridgebacks around are reacting in the same way.
If the dragons around aren't afraid of water, then the fear is less likely to develop. Ridgebacks from outside of the Shifting Expanse may not have quite the same !!! sensitivity to water as those born with the Lightning element, as well.

The fish diet on top of all that is definitely a deliberate choice by the Stormcatcher when he made them, to force the Ridgebacks to be good at innovating. They can't just be big and powerful, they should be clever, too, and good at problem-solving.

You need fish? Better go find them then. (Ridgebacks gain +1 to Resource Management Skill)
You don't want to touch the water? Better figure out a way to get the fish then. (Ridgebacks gain +1 to Crafting skill)

I think it's really fun how everyone can choose how free to be with their lore, though! So much creativity on display.

I love your ideas!! Also to add, deserts in real life are prone to flooding after storms too, so this makes a crazy amount of sense why they would be hydrophobic and yet still want fish!

I would like to share my own theory if you don't mind. And it begins with cats. The ancestors of our domestic cat evolved in Africa, where they live in deserts. Strangely, despite not having any fish in their environment, they LOVE fish! It came from a strange evolutionary advantage where they crave certain vitamins and minerals that are rare in the deserts, but abundant in fish. I think at one point Ridgebacks ate another food source, and craved the same vitamins and minerals. When they discovered fish they changed their entire diet and soon they where only able to eat fish. That's my take anyway.
In my opinion and lore, plague would have amazing doctors. It’s the flight of survival, I don’t think it makes sense for them to not have dragons specifically for making it easier to survive. I personally headcanon that they’ve got some of the best doctors in Sornieth.
In my opinion and lore, plague would have amazing doctors. It’s the flight of survival, I don’t think it makes sense for them to not have dragons specifically for making it easier to survive. I personally headcanon that they’ve got some of the best doctors in Sornieth.
jGVQbew.png Glimmer
Previously QuirkyJunimo
FR +3
Wishlist
oxDm2Un.png
CB1A5LI.png
xtBKBx8.png
mlHpBMC.png
fD64ZUR.png
7gibfJe.png
ZwbGqUa.png
luMBIla.png
lAvpyOQ.png
5vnsOgE.png
lB92wkt.png
WKH2C9p.png
co3WWXY.png 4SVfFPD.png
40QQWBU.png
hX7nLTH.gif
Unintentional nopage but none of my Guardians have Charges because I haven't given it enough thought lol
Unintentional nopage but none of my Guardians have Charges because I haven't given it enough thought lol
MUYNhfy.pngpZJYyk4.png
DoQJ9XF.pngcutkr0S.png
fHKOi67.pngmlHpBMC.png
[quote name="DiamondKoi" date="2023-12-21 11:33:56" ] I couldn't imagine pronouncing it any other way. Who came up with "jailer" anyway? Makes me cringe. Into the nope cannon and shoot it off into space. [/quote] Gaol is the old spelling of jail. It comes from middle English.
DiamondKoi wrote on 2023-12-21 11:33:56:
I couldn't imagine pronouncing it any other way. Who came up with "jailer" anyway? Makes me cringe. Into the nope cannon and shoot it off into space.

Gaol is the old spelling of jail. It comes from middle English.
8hOK5Zm.png1qSQ4Z1.gif
dragon sizes, i like to use a bit of site lore but most of my lore is just a bunch of ideas i shoved in, but dragon sizes in particular i just cant get my head around-

there's still major height differences but it's more like.. veils and faes are 2 feet at the shortest and the tallest imps are 11 feet tall at most. still extreme but i can comprehend it a bit more
dragon sizes, i like to use a bit of site lore but most of my lore is just a bunch of ideas i shoved in, but dragon sizes in particular i just cant get my head around-

there's still major height differences but it's more like.. veils and faes are 2 feet at the shortest and the tallest imps are 11 feet tall at most. still extreme but i can comprehend it a bit more
Y0w97b1.png astronic-fr
» he/they
» g1 lair
» art shop
XufexgK.gif
I like to think of the breed personality lore as like how people stereotype different nationalities irl. Dragons, in this world, are sapient; they're people like you and me. And people don't all adhere to certain behavioral patterns irl. It's just not the way they work.
I like to think of the breed personality lore as like how people stereotype different nationalities irl. Dragons, in this world, are sapient; they're people like you and me. And people don't all adhere to certain behavioral patterns irl. It's just not the way they work.
VAAnkLY.png
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 20