Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Dom balance
1 2 3 4 5 6
The whole "exalt a dragon" to participate does sound really poorly designed. A lot of people already send only to receivers, but in this case, even people in the same flight would flood the receivers to keep the ratio of dragons per person higher.
The whole "exalt a dragon" to participate does sound really poorly designed. A lot of people already send only to receivers, but in this case, even people in the same flight would flood the receivers to keep the ratio of dragons per person higher.
Untitled47-20231219225403.png
FObX7rS.png5hF3FGk.png
fDSaoY3.pngNN9NPXA.pngtqGkHih.png
Untitled48-20231219225437.png
DOM need a revamp, but through the method you described that would make it possible for people to cheat and abuse the system.

Imagine if then Flights are like "everyone, don't exalt this week! Instead, send all your fodder dragons for this one person, so there's only one person exalting and we get more points".

Your idea sounds really good at first, but it would need more consideration on how stuff would work.
DOM need a revamp, but through the method you described that would make it possible for people to cheat and abuse the system.

Imagine if then Flights are like "everyone, don't exalt this week! Instead, send all your fodder dragons for this one person, so there's only one person exalting and we get more points".

Your idea sounds really good at first, but it would need more consideration on how stuff would work.
[quote name="SCB" date="2023-12-08 07:44:19" ] The better solution is rewards based on individual numbers. Much like the repeatable pursuits, with the tiered rewards. Exalt 5 dragons in a week, get the first tier, 25 for second tier, 100 for third. I don't know what reasonable individual numbers would be. Either way, it would be clear who is actively participating in reaching those tiers and who isn't. Then those numbers could be used to tally flight dom. [/quote] This is a good idea too, and it improves the incentives to participate in Dom. Because yeah, the problem of this proposal is the honor system, if you all say that you can easily send all the dragons to one person then is not going to work :/ But this way you are motivating people to exalt the dragons themselves and not someone else
SCB wrote on 2023-12-08 07:44:19:
The better solution is rewards based on individual numbers. Much like the repeatable pursuits, with the tiered rewards. Exalt 5 dragons in a week, get the first tier, 25 for second tier, 100 for third. I don't know what reasonable individual numbers would be. Either way, it would be clear who is actively participating in reaching those tiers and who isn't. Then those numbers could be used to tally flight dom.
This is a good idea too, and it improves the incentives to participate in Dom.
Because yeah, the problem of this proposal is the honor system, if you all say that you can easily send all the dragons to one person then is not going to work :/

But this way you are motivating people to exalt the dragons themselves and not someone else
5a066ddb322c44953d878c49e7978a00895ca735.png
There are so many big, supportive roles that do not exalt. Like mercs sending to another flight, boarding dragons, attendants receiving dragons for 100s of folks, levelers who may send to someone else. Those all contribute, sometimes in huge ways, but aren't always the person doing the exalting.

There may need to be some adjustments but I think making it opt-in or only for those exalting would really skew the balance in a bad way.
There are so many big, supportive roles that do not exalt. Like mercs sending to another flight, boarding dragons, attendants receiving dragons for 100s of folks, levelers who may send to someone else. Those all contribute, sometimes in huge ways, but aren't always the person doing the exalting.

There may need to be some adjustments but I think making it opt-in or only for those exalting would really skew the balance in a bad way.
E2amngG.png04n5rQx.png8th6mfc.pngtPW2xgo.pngarOGchX.png
I agree (1) Dom needs and overhaul in some way incentivizing individual participation - not this suggestion at all, however, for reasons well explained - and (2) this should be in Suggestions. That said. [quote name="DalphiaRose" date="2023-12-08 07:59:07" ] There are so many big, supportive roles that do not exalt. Like mercs sending to another flight, boarding dragons, attendants receiving dragons for 100s of folks, levelers who may send to someone else. Those all contribute, sometimes in huge ways, but aren't always the person doing the exalting. [/quote] I'm not at all opposed to a change that would actively and fundamentally change these "support roles," potentially even making them obsolete or smaller than they used to be. Because Dominance is "exalt dragons together as a Flight." Even if we change the way it works so that, for example (somehow), boarding is no longer a thing - that's fine. Because that's how we as a community devised to mix/max this thing. I'm not at all against balancing or changes that eliminate community-devised "roles" and rules that don't otherwise exist. Revitalization of Dominance probably requires a little bit of that, to be honest. New people to come up with the next "new best" process to win this game.
I agree (1) Dom needs and overhaul in some way incentivizing individual participation - not this suggestion at all, however, for reasons well explained - and (2) this should be in Suggestions.

That said.
DalphiaRose wrote on 2023-12-08 07:59:07:
I'm not at all opposed to a change that would actively and fundamentally change these "support roles," potentially even making them obsolete or smaller than they used to be. Because Dominance is "exalt dragons together as a Flight." Even if we change the way it works so that, for example (somehow), boarding is no longer a thing - that's fine. Because that's how we as a community devised to mix/max this thing. I'm not at all against balancing or changes that eliminate community-devised "roles" and rules that don't otherwise exist.

Revitalization of Dominance probably requires a little bit of that, to be honest. New people to come up with the next "new best" process to win this game.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
I think the idea that "people interested in dom will move to more dom-oriented flights so it's already balanced" isn't very true.
1. You join a flight when you first start playing the game, where you wouldn't know about dominance, how it works, or what flights participate more.
2. After you change once, it becomes pretty expensive to move.
3. Plenty of people already like their flight for aesthetic purposes, lore purposes, eye color, the community they're already in, etc.
I think the idea that "people interested in dom will move to more dom-oriented flights so it's already balanced" isn't very true.
1. You join a flight when you first start playing the game, where you wouldn't know about dominance, how it works, or what flights participate more.
3. Plenty of people already like their flight for aesthetic purposes, lore purposes, eye color, the community they're already in, etc.
2.png
HdmxfuE.png
Mrw4w2X.png
[quote name="LazyGravez" date="2023-12-08 08:08:57" ] I think the idea that "people interested in dom will move to more dom-oriented flights so it's already balanced" isn't very true. 1. You join a flight when you first start playing the game, where you wouldn't know about dominance, how it works, or what flights participate more. 2. After you change once, it becomes pretty expensive to move. 3. Plenty of people already like their flight for aesthetic purposes, lore purposes, eye color, the community they're already in, etc. [/quote] This is the main reason why I´m doing this, I love dom, I would love to exalt and train every week but Shadow is not the best for that , and I don´t want to change flights and lose the beautiful aesthetics of my birth flight. *And yes if I a mod sees this please move it to suggestions The main reason why I did this is not because I think my idea should be implemented , is because I hope we as a community can think on something new together giving proper feedback about everything :)
LazyGravez wrote on 2023-12-08 08:08:57:

This is the main reason why I´m doing this, I love dom, I would love to exalt and train every week but Shadow is not the best for that , and I don´t want to change flights and lose the beautiful aesthetics of my birth flight.

*And yes if I a mod sees this please move it to suggestions

The main reason why I did this is not because I think my idea should be implemented , is because I hope we as a community can think on something new together giving proper feedback about everything :)
5a066ddb322c44953d878c49e7978a00895ca735.png
I don't think the way dominance is calculated should be changed. To my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong), but dominance is the number of levels exalted by a flight divided by the total number of active users in said flight. In other words, it's a per capita measurement of the average number of levels exalted per active user. This method of calculating dom is more fair than just totaling the number of exalted levels or dragons per flight in my opinion, because otherwise larger flights would just dominate by virtue of having more people that can exalt. In a situation where dominance is calculated solely based on raw exalts, the flight that has a hundred members but only twenty are exalting that week would win against a flight with ten members where nine of those members are exalting even though the latter has a higher proportion of members actively participating in dom (20% vs 90%). Sure, larger flights have to exalt more dragons with the current way dom is calculated, but they also they have a larger population--more users to breed, exalt, train, receive, and board fodder--which in theory should offset that. In reality that doesn't happen because, to my understanding, flights like Arcane aren't as dominance-orientated as flights like Light; it just so happens that the more dominance-orientated flights are generally smaller. The ratio isn't favoring their smaller size, it's favoring the fact that those flights have a greater proportion of users actively exalting. This is why I think suggestions such as more rewards for exalting or dom shops are the best way to deal with balancing dominance since they'd hopefully increase the proportion of users exalting.
I don't think the way dominance is calculated should be changed. To my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong), but dominance is the number of levels exalted by a flight divided by the total number of active users in said flight. In other words, it's a per capita measurement of the average number of levels exalted per active user. This method of calculating dom is more fair than just totaling the number of exalted levels or dragons per flight in my opinion, because otherwise larger flights would just dominate by virtue of having more people that can exalt. In a situation where dominance is calculated solely based on raw exalts, the flight that has a hundred members but only twenty are exalting that week would win against a flight with ten members where nine of those members are exalting even though the latter has a higher proportion of members actively participating in dom (20% vs 90%). Sure, larger flights have to exalt more dragons with the current way dom is calculated, but they also they have a larger population--more users to breed, exalt, train, receive, and board fodder--which in theory should offset that. In reality that doesn't happen because, to my understanding, flights like Arcane aren't as dominance-orientated as flights like Light; it just so happens that the more dominance-orientated flights are generally smaller. The ratio isn't favoring their smaller size, it's favoring the fact that those flights have a greater proportion of users actively exalting. This is why I think suggestions such as more rewards for exalting or dom shops are the best way to deal with balancing dominance since they'd hopefully increase the proportion of users exalting.
- G1s for sale
- LF any combo of abyss, copper, spruce and other dream g1s
[quote name="LazyGravez" date="2023-12-08 08:08:57" ] I think the idea that "people interested in dom will move to more dom-oriented flights so it's already balanced" isn't very true. 1. You join a flight when you first start playing the game, where you wouldn't know about dominance, how it works, or what flights participate more. 2. After you change once, it becomes pretty expensive to move. 3. Plenty of people already like their flight for aesthetic purposes, lore purposes, eye color, the community they're already in, etc. [/quote] I've moved flights [i]several[/i] times. At least one of them was originally for better dom culture. I'm far from the only one. People even post threads here in FRD asking for help working out where they want to go with flight changes, and sometimes dom falls into one of the things they want to know about, whether it's because they want a chiller atmosphere or a more nose to the grindstone environment. Don't take 1500 gems as being too high a barrier. That's only 1,500,000 treasure. It's pretty easy to make that if you get involved in dom stuff.
LazyGravez wrote on 2023-12-08 08:08:57:

I've moved flights several times. At least one of them was originally for better dom culture. I'm far from the only one. People even post threads here in FRD asking for help working out where they want to go with flight changes, and sometimes dom falls into one of the things they want to know about, whether it's because they want a chiller atmosphere or a more nose to the grindstone environment. Don't take 1500 gems as being too high a barrier. That's only 1,500,000 treasure. It's pretty easy to make that if you get involved in dom stuff.
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
I definitely agree that the problem is primarily cultural , so yeah the way dom is calculated is probably fine? Or at least there's no way it can be changed to my knowledge without it being immediately cheesed by already dom strong flights.

From what I've been reading surrounding dom history, the only major change dom has had in terms in mechanics directly influencing performance has been dom fatigue, but we've seen plenty of flights now be able to push through it through sheer force of will. Now this is veering into suggestion territory so I'll keep if brief but maybe a decent way to help flights that have earned the dom casual rep at this point would be to have a sort of inverse of dom fatigue? Loser of last week gets a boost in dom counts? Call it tailwind or something. I dunno.

Anyways, dom is tricky. I definitely don't know enough about it to really say much on it.
I definitely agree that the problem is primarily cultural , so yeah the way dom is calculated is probably fine? Or at least there's no way it can be changed to my knowledge without it being immediately cheesed by already dom strong flights.

From what I've been reading surrounding dom history, the only major change dom has had in terms in mechanics directly influencing performance has been dom fatigue, but we've seen plenty of flights now be able to push through it through sheer force of will. Now this is veering into suggestion territory so I'll keep if brief but maybe a decent way to help flights that have earned the dom casual rep at this point would be to have a sort of inverse of dom fatigue? Loser of last week gets a boost in dom counts? Call it tailwind or something. I dunno.

Anyways, dom is tricky. I definitely don't know enough about it to really say much on it.
Pressed Morning Glory Venex
they/them
_^___^
(=0ω0=)
23378621.png Pressed Moonflower
1 2 3 4 5 6