Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Theres nothing wrong with the Auraboa
1 2
Note. I have consulted with my Native American boyfriend about this, and have read another take by a user who is also Native American about this.
Double Note If there is something problematic about the lore, than I am sorry for trying to take the light off of that in this post. That wasn't the intention, tho I still would like to make this point about cultural inspiration.

Im only going to be talking about the design in this post because i dont particular care for FR lore, here is something to take into consideration about design, and drawing inspiration from cultures. I encourage everyone of all races to chip in, and keep the convo civil.

Making a game about dragons is going to inherently take inspiration from other cultural mythologies, as long as it is done tastefully its fine. Its not like the devs designed the auraboa with bow and arrows, a war bonnet, and a teepee. Native American cultures also aren't the only culture that have a notable head dress.
Flight rising has created HIPPOGRIFF familiars, MANTICORE familiars, SPHINX familiars, we can draw inspiration from those cultures, but not Native/Mesoamerican cultures? Frankly the FR devs have done a better job keeping it respectful with the auraboa than a lot of other pieces of media that dont do research at all.

The mentality that no one is allowed to create something tasteful from other cultures, is inherently racist. Trying to alienate cultures into a neat pile not the be touched by others, is a white supremacy mentality.
I hope that the devs do not change anything about the auraboas design, many cultures have a long feathered dragon somewhere.

i dont know if this is going to get deleted, or if im going to get banned for posting this but I deeply encourage others to talk about whats going on. Learn and think critically is all that i ask.
Note. I have consulted with my Native American boyfriend about this, and have read another take by a user who is also Native American about this.
Double Note If there is something problematic about the lore, than I am sorry for trying to take the light off of that in this post. That wasn't the intention, tho I still would like to make this point about cultural inspiration.

Im only going to be talking about the design in this post because i dont particular care for FR lore, here is something to take into consideration about design, and drawing inspiration from cultures. I encourage everyone of all races to chip in, and keep the convo civil.

Making a game about dragons is going to inherently take inspiration from other cultural mythologies, as long as it is done tastefully its fine. Its not like the devs designed the auraboa with bow and arrows, a war bonnet, and a teepee. Native American cultures also aren't the only culture that have a notable head dress.
Flight rising has created HIPPOGRIFF familiars, MANTICORE familiars, SPHINX familiars, we can draw inspiration from those cultures, but not Native/Mesoamerican cultures? Frankly the FR devs have done a better job keeping it respectful with the auraboa than a lot of other pieces of media that dont do research at all.

The mentality that no one is allowed to create something tasteful from other cultures, is inherently racist. Trying to alienate cultures into a neat pile not the be touched by others, is a white supremacy mentality.
I hope that the devs do not change anything about the auraboas design, many cultures have a long feathered dragon somewhere.

i dont know if this is going to get deleted, or if im going to get banned for posting this but I deeply encourage others to talk about whats going on. Learn and think critically is all that i ask.
real
real
72587871p.png Wishlist!
PLEASE ping me, message me, and comment on my user page!
Also im aware im going to get comments about the lore side of things, thats fine. Discuss that here if you wish.
Also im aware im going to get comments about the lore side of things, thats fine. Discuss that here if you wish.
I said it in a different thread and of course I say it as not someone who is native but genuinely just worries me how many voices who are absolutely okay with the new dragon were drown out. I saw a post on Tumblr from someone who was pretty upset by the lore change and basically said that their culture was being erased because of the response to the backlash.

Like I said I really can't say much beyond I saw the snippets of it and went yikes, but I do overall feel so many people got drown out by voices that don't understand the culture as much as actual people living it do. And I'm really sorry about it.
I said it in a different thread and of course I say it as not someone who is native but genuinely just worries me how many voices who are absolutely okay with the new dragon were drown out. I saw a post on Tumblr from someone who was pretty upset by the lore change and basically said that their culture was being erased because of the response to the backlash.

Like I said I really can't say much beyond I saw the snippets of it and went yikes, but I do overall feel so many people got drown out by voices that don't understand the culture as much as actual people living it do. And I'm really sorry about it.
Msp9L6c.gif|| Cheshire
she/her
hobbiest writer
enjoyer of many things
wishlist/info
I agree with this, I fear that FlightRising is heading down the rabbit hole of [Redacted] Ideology. The Auraboas are beautiful and fine as they are.
I agree with this, I fear that FlightRising is heading down the rabbit hole of [Redacted] Ideology. The Auraboas are beautiful and fine as they are.
ZPHN6ju.png
[quote name="dreamdrops" date="2023-11-23 05:30:16" ] I said it in a different thread and of course I say it as not someone who is native but genuinely just worries me how many voices who are absolutely okay with the new dragon were drown out. I saw a post on Tumblr from someone who was pretty upset by the lore change and basically said that their culture was being erased because of the response to the backlash. Like I said I really can't say much beyond I saw the snippets of it and went yikes, but I do overall feel so many people got drown out by voices that don't understand the culture as much as actual people living it do. And I'm really sorry about it. [/quote] theres nothing to be sorry about, people tend to react without thinking. I know people do it with good intentions but yknow. also i dont know how to directly reply to people on forum posts, so im sorry if i did this wrong. im a 22 year old boomer
dreamdrops wrote on 2023-11-23 05:30:16:

theres nothing to be sorry about, people tend to react without thinking. I know people do it with good intentions but yknow. also i dont know how to directly reply to people on forum posts, so im sorry if i did this wrong. im a 22 year old boomer
[quote name="dreamdrops" date="2023-11-23 05:30:16" ] I said it in a different thread and of course I say it as not someone who is native but genuinely just worries me how many voices who are absolutely okay with the new dragon were drown out. I saw a post on Tumblr from someone who was pretty upset by the lore change and basically said that their culture was being erased because of the response to the backlash. Like I said I really can't say much beyond I saw the snippets of it and went yikes, but I do overall feel so many people got drown out by voices that don't understand the culture as much as actual people living it do. And I'm really sorry about it. [/quote] See, this is where the problem comes in. No matter what they did, a ton of the community would be upset. I love the fanbase, but now is not my favorite moment

See, this is where the problem comes in. No matter what they did, a ton of the community would be upset. I love the fanbase, but now is not my favorite moment
1RsBrUA.pngu0zgn1V.pngWFhlmNb.pngOVImhZU.pngBCSOpq7.png
You wont get banned, but Devs do prefer these topics to be discussed in private, via https://www1.flightrising.com/site/contact-us
You wont get banned, but Devs do prefer these topics to be discussed in private, via https://www1.flightrising.com/site/contact-us
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
[quote name="Wisdum" date="2023-11-23 05:52:28" ] [quote name="dreamdrops" date="2023-11-23 05:30:16" ] I said it in a different thread and of course I say it as not someone who is native but genuinely just worries me how many voices who are absolutely okay with the new dragon were drown out. I saw a post on Tumblr from someone who was pretty upset by the lore change and basically said that their culture was being erased because of the response to the backlash. Like I said I really can't say much beyond I saw the snippets of it and went yikes, but I do overall feel so many people got drown out by voices that don't understand the culture as much as actual people living it do. And I'm really sorry about it. [/quote] See, this is where the problem comes in. No matter what they did, a ton of the community would be upset. I love the fanbase, but now is not my favorite moment [/quote] Coulntless people will be upset regardless of the changes made. The problem is that no matter what the FlightRing Devs do, they won't make everyone happy. It's impossible to satisfy everyone.
Wisdum wrote on 2023-11-23 05:52:28:

See, this is where the problem comes in. No matter what they did, a ton of the community would be upset. I love the fanbase, but now is not my favorite moment

Coulntless people will be upset regardless of the changes made. The problem is that no matter what the FlightRing Devs do, they won't make everyone happy. It's impossible to satisfy everyone.
ZPHN6ju.png
[quote name="FrostbiteFae" date="2023-11-23 05:43:07" ] [quote name="dreamdrops" date="2023-11-23 05:30:16" ] I said it in a different thread and of course I say it as not someone who is native but genuinely just worries me how many voices who are absolutely okay with the new dragon were drown out. I saw a post on Tumblr from someone who was pretty upset by the lore change and basically said that their culture was being erased because of the response to the backlash. Like I said I really can't say much beyond I saw the snippets of it and went yikes, but I do overall feel so many people got drown out by voices that don't understand the culture as much as actual people living it do. And I'm really sorry about it. [/quote] theres nothing to be sorry about, people tend to react without thinking. I know people do it with good intentions but yknow. also i dont know how to directly reply to people on forum posts, so im sorry if i did this wrong. im a 22 year old boomer [/quote] Nah you're good! And I appreciate the response of course! I do agree though people tend to respond very strongly about certain things and intentions might have been good but the over arching issue remains a lot of native peoples voices were immediately drown out by the controversy. @wisdum sorry for the ping i can't remember how to do two quotes I've been on hiatus for about a year lol. But it's unfortunately not a new thing, I've seen a lot of stink brought up by the smallest issues probably the one I still remember being the most ridiculous being the keel gene. It's par the course unfortunately.
FrostbiteFae wrote on 2023-11-23 05:43:07:

theres nothing to be sorry about, people tend to react without thinking. I know people do it with good intentions but yknow. also i dont know how to directly reply to people on forum posts, so im sorry if i did this wrong. im a 22 year old boomer

Nah you're good! And I appreciate the response of course! I do agree though people tend to respond very strongly about certain things and intentions might have been good but the over arching issue remains a lot of native peoples voices were immediately drown out by the controversy.

@wisdum sorry for the ping i can't remember how to do two quotes I've been on hiatus for about a year lol. But it's unfortunately not a new thing, I've seen a lot of stink brought up by the smallest issues probably the one I still remember being the most ridiculous being the keel gene.

It's par the course unfortunately.
Msp9L6c.gif|| Cheshire
she/her
hobbiest writer
enjoyer of many things
wishlist/info
1 2