Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Theres nothing wrong with the Auraboa
1 2
As a a native, i was personally fine with the design and the lore, but nearly every single person ive seen complaining has said "Im not native, but—" and its really disheartening to see people complaining about a dragon and lore without getting a native perspective :(

I can definitely see how connections could be drawn, but accusing the auraboa of native stereotypes? Idk, ive been avoiding discussions because of how others would react, but its just sad that people are getting offended for others :(
As a a native, i was personally fine with the design and the lore, but nearly every single person ive seen complaining has said "Im not native, but—" and its really disheartening to see people complaining about a dragon and lore without getting a native perspective :(

I can definitely see how connections could be drawn, but accusing the auraboa of native stereotypes? Idk, ive been avoiding discussions because of how others would react, but its just sad that people are getting offended for others :(
8GgdVkW.png
jv7C6g3.png
h5ct4ZF.png
E5fWRUt.png
XbjATWE.png
5hF3FGk.png
zjJ1agu.png pfsNEft.png
Purchase an Aztec inspired-boggy adopt! nYNcLTN.png
@dreamdrops oh haha ur ok I don't mind the ping!

and yeah that's... did people complain because they just didn't like the gene? Ik personally I really dislike it but all that means for me is "don't click keel in the scrying workshop".
@dreamdrops oh haha ur ok I don't mind the ping!

and yeah that's... did people complain because they just didn't like the gene? Ik personally I really dislike it but all that means for me is "don't click keel in the scrying workshop".
1RsBrUA.pngu0zgn1V.pngWFhlmNb.pngOVImhZU.pngBCSOpq7.png
[quote name="Seungmeong" date="2023-11-23 06:00:33" ] As a a native, i was personally fine with the design and the lore, but nearly every single person ive seen complaining has said "Im not native, but—" and its really disheartening to see people complaining about a dragon and lore without getting a native perspective :( I can definitely see how connections could be drawn, but accusing the auraboa of native stereotypes? Idk, ive been avoiding discussions because of how others would react, but its just sad that people are getting offended for others :( [/quote] Goes to show that they don't know what there talking about. They are making an issue when there wasn't one to begin with.
Seungmeong wrote on 2023-11-23 06:00:33:

Goes to show that they don't know what there talking about. They are making an issue when there wasn't one to begin with.
ZPHN6ju.png
[quote name="EmpressSectonia" date="2023-11-23 06:01:54" ] [quote name="Seungmeong" date="2023-11-23 06:00:33" ] As a a native, i was personally fine with the design and the lore, but nearly every single person ive seen complaining has said "Im not native, but—" and its really disheartening to see people complaining about a dragon and lore without getting a native perspective :( I can definitely see how connections could be drawn, but accusing the auraboa of native stereotypes? Idk, ive been avoiding discussions because of how others would react, but its just sad that people are getting offended for others :( [/quote] Goes to show that they don't know what there talking about. They are making an issue when there wasn't one to begin with. [/quote] ok see I don't entirely agree with this statement. They probably know what they are talking about. [i]the problem was[/i], they're talking for the Native community. Idk that's just my two cents but like if you saw somebody online (not saying FR bc there's no way in hell they'd do this) being borderline homophobic, and heterosexual people were calling it out, would it be a problem? No. But if you saw [i]only[/i] heterosexual people calling it out, then it would be a problem. Ya catch my drift? Apologies for being so... extra rn lol. Just really want to voice an opinion out there because I love the FR community (it's a big part of why I love the game sm) but there are moments where they can act a bit questionable and I don't want that to ruin the game.
EmpressSectonia wrote on 2023-11-23 06:01:54:

Goes to show that they don't know what there talking about. They are making an issue when there wasn't one to begin with.
ok see I don't entirely agree with this statement. They probably know what they are talking about. the problem was, they're talking for the Native community. Idk that's just my two cents but like

if you saw somebody online (not saying FR bc there's no way in hell they'd do this) being borderline homophobic, and heterosexual people were calling it out, would it be a problem? No. But if you saw only heterosexual people calling it out, then it would be a problem. Ya catch my drift?

Apologies for being so... extra rn lol. Just really want to voice an opinion out there because I love the FR community (it's a big part of why I love the game sm) but there are moments where they can act a bit questionable and I don't want that to ruin the game.
1RsBrUA.pngu0zgn1V.pngWFhlmNb.pngOVImhZU.pngBCSOpq7.png
I just wish people could be more mature about these kinds of things. Obviously this was completely unintentional and with the kinds of arguments I'm seeing offsite about this it's no wonder these threads are being locked (including this one, probably)
I just wish people could be more mature about these kinds of things. Obviously this was completely unintentional and with the kinds of arguments I'm seeing offsite about this it's no wonder these threads are being locked (including this one, probably)
[quote name="Seungmeong" date="2023-11-23 06:00:33" ] As a a native, i was personally fine with the design and the lore, but nearly every single person ive seen complaining has said "Im not native, but—" and its really disheartening to see people complaining about a dragon and lore without getting a native perspective :( [/quote] This is exactly what I was worrying about when I saw the post. Because I often see non native people being upset on their behalf. It's great when people are looking out for each other and I'm sure 99% have good intentions, but overdoing it takes away agency from the very group they want to protect.
This is exactly what I was worrying about when I saw the post. Because I often see non native people being upset on their behalf. It's great when people are looking out for each other and I'm sure 99% have good intentions, but overdoing it takes away agency from the very group they want to protect.
OSPKX5l.png
[quote name="Wisdum" date="2023-11-23 06:06:12" ] ok see I don't entirely agree with this statement. They probably know what they are talking about. [i]the problem was[/i], they're talking for the Native community. Idk that's just my two cents but like if you saw somebody online (not saying FR bc there's no way in hell they'd do this) being borderline homophobic, and heterosexual people were calling it out, would it be a problem? No. But if you saw [i]only[/i] heterosexual people calling it out, then it would be a problem. Ya catch my drift? Apologies for being so... extra rn lol. Just really want to voice an opinion out there because I love the FR community (it's a big part of why I love the game sm) but there are moments where they can act a bit questionable and I don't want that to ruin the game. [/quote] You said it much better than I meant, lol—the lack of people getting more than just one perspective on things is what i was trying to call attention to ;v;
Wisdum wrote on 2023-11-23 06:06:12:
ok see I don't entirely agree with this statement. They probably know what they are talking about. the problem was, they're talking for the Native community. Idk that's just my two cents but like

if you saw somebody online (not saying FR bc there's no way in hell they'd do this) being borderline homophobic, and heterosexual people were calling it out, would it be a problem? No. But if you saw only heterosexual people calling it out, then it would be a problem. Ya catch my drift?

Apologies for being so... extra rn lol. Just really want to voice an opinion out there because I love the FR community (it's a big part of why I love the game sm) but there are moments where they can act a bit questionable and I don't want that to ruin the game.

You said it much better than I meant, lol—the lack of people getting more than just one perspective on things is what i was trying to call attention to ;v;
8GgdVkW.png
jv7C6g3.png
h5ct4ZF.png
E5fWRUt.png
XbjATWE.png
5hF3FGk.png
zjJ1agu.png pfsNEft.png
Purchase an Aztec inspired-boggy adopt! nYNcLTN.png
[quote name="Wisdum" date="2023-11-23 06:06:12" ] [quote name="EmpressSectonia" date="2023-11-23 06:01:54" ] [quote name="Seungmeong" date="2023-11-23 06:00:33" ] As a a native, i was personally fine with the design and the lore, but nearly every single person ive seen complaining has said "Im not native, but—" and its really disheartening to see people complaining about a dragon and lore without getting a native perspective :( I can definitely see how connections could be drawn, but accusing the auraboa of native stereotypes? Idk, ive been avoiding discussions because of how others would react, but its just sad that people are getting offended for others :( [/quote] Goes to show that they don't know what there talking about. They are making an issue when there wasn't one to begin with. [/quote] ok see I don't entirely agree with this statement. They probably know what they are talking about. [i]the problem was[/i], they're talking for the Native community. Idk that's just my two cents but like if you saw somebody online (not saying FR bc there's no way in hell they'd do this) being borderline homophobic, and heterosexual people were calling it out, would it be a problem? No. But if you saw [i]only[/i] heterosexual people calling it out, then it would be a problem. Ya catch my drift? Apologies for being so... extra rn lol. Just really want to voice an opinion out there because I love the FR community (it's a big part of why I love the game sm) but there are moments where they can act a bit questionable and I don't want that to ruin the game. [/quote] I understand, and I'm sorry.
Wisdum wrote on 2023-11-23 06:06:12:
EmpressSectonia wrote on 2023-11-23 06:01:54:

I understand, and I'm sorry.
ZPHN6ju.png
Today's world, especially when you're a white person, is one of "You can't do or say anything that could even be TWISTED into looking/sounding racist or like you're trying to "appropriate culture". As was pointed out, the Auroboas were done very tastefully. The lore, to my eyes, was tastefully written. If it hadn't been pointed out by people who apparently have a LOT of time on their hands I wouldn't really have drawn a line between the lore and the history/culture of the Native Peoples of the Americas.

So long as its done tastefully (vague appearance to a deity such as the auroboas have to Quetzalcoatl and no overtly "racist" thing like a headdress or tomahawk) I think we should view it as cultural appreciation and as if its to HONOR the peoples. Otherwise it'll reach a point where we won't even be able to sneeze without worrying that we're going to offend someone, somewhere.

Also I think people shouldn't be too quick to run to other sites to whine and complain. If you TRULY feel that it offends YOU (and not you feeling offended on the behalf of someone you haven't even asked if it affected) then you should do the polite thing and use the "Contact us" on the forums or (if its a post) the report feature. Whining and complaining elsewhere is akin to skinning your knee and screaming about how its going to get infected and fall off, but not washing and bandaging it to attempt to prevent it, as in its a whole bunch of noise and shows little to no results.
Today's world, especially when you're a white person, is one of "You can't do or say anything that could even be TWISTED into looking/sounding racist or like you're trying to "appropriate culture". As was pointed out, the Auroboas were done very tastefully. The lore, to my eyes, was tastefully written. If it hadn't been pointed out by people who apparently have a LOT of time on their hands I wouldn't really have drawn a line between the lore and the history/culture of the Native Peoples of the Americas.

So long as its done tastefully (vague appearance to a deity such as the auroboas have to Quetzalcoatl and no overtly "racist" thing like a headdress or tomahawk) I think we should view it as cultural appreciation and as if its to HONOR the peoples. Otherwise it'll reach a point where we won't even be able to sneeze without worrying that we're going to offend someone, somewhere.

Also I think people shouldn't be too quick to run to other sites to whine and complain. If you TRULY feel that it offends YOU (and not you feeling offended on the behalf of someone you haven't even asked if it affected) then you should do the polite thing and use the "Contact us" on the forums or (if its a post) the report feature. Whining and complaining elsewhere is akin to skinning your knee and screaming about how its going to get infected and fall off, but not washing and bandaging it to attempt to prevent it, as in its a whole bunch of noise and shows little to no results.
X0JktGl.png
Hello, everyone! I’m going to have to step in here and throw a lock on this thread. I understand that there are a lot of Opinions on this subject and a lot of desire to discuss them. However, [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3290074/3#post_55539025][b]the staff have asked that any further feedback in relation to the Auraboa lord be sent to them directly via Contact Us[/b][/url]. Also per Aequorin: [br] [quote]The reason why we lock threads that focus on racism, religion, politics, and other matters of real significance and impact is because they don't stay on topic. Without fail, they spiral into flame wars, with people either trolling or reading to respond. That is not productive, constructive, or healthy and why we ask players to submit related feedback or critique to us directly through Contact Us.[/quote] Thank you all!
Hello, everyone!

I’m going to have to step in here and throw a lock on this thread. I understand that there are a lot of Opinions on this subject and a lot of desire to discuss them. However, the staff have asked that any further feedback in relation to the Auraboa lord be sent to them directly via Contact Us.

Also per Aequorin:

Quote:
The reason why we lock threads that focus on racism, religion, politics, and other matters of real significance and impact is because they don't stay on topic. Without fail, they spiral into flame wars, with people either trolling or reading to respond. That is not productive, constructive, or healthy and why we ask players to submit related feedback or critique to us directly through Contact Us.

Thank you all!
Volunteer Moderator
If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising staff, not the volunteer moderator group.
XRwFykP.png

1 2