Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How humanoid are your dragons?
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="sunnysoleil" date="2023-11-08 12:37:43" ] @VermontVampyre Oooh, I like that a lot! I never considered telepathic communication between dragons. My partner really likes those books as well lol [/quote] It was the first comparison I came to when I thought of how my dragons would behave/communicate. Another is potentially the dragons from Pern (Anne McCaffrey's work.) At the risk of dragging it slightly off topic...does your partner know that the 5th book in the Inheritance Cycle was just released on the 7th of this month? Its called Murtagh. I have been reading replies and find it interesting that there are people, like myself, who view them as completely "animal" but with a human's ability to think and reason and be civilized. Then theres the opposite view crew who view them as more humanoid with perks. Then theres still another crew who have a mix of the two going on. I just love how we're all so varied in our head canons but are still able to come together and coexist peacefully onsite :)
sunnysoleil wrote on 2023-11-08 12:37:43:
@VermontVampyre Oooh, I like that a lot! I never considered telepathic communication between dragons. My partner really likes those books as well lol

It was the first comparison I came to when I thought of how my dragons would behave/communicate. Another is potentially the dragons from Pern (Anne McCaffrey's work.) At the risk of dragging it slightly off topic...does your partner know that the 5th book in the Inheritance Cycle was just released on the 7th of this month? Its called Murtagh.

I have been reading replies and find it interesting that there are people, like myself, who view them as completely "animal" but with a human's ability to think and reason and be civilized. Then theres the opposite view crew who view them as more humanoid with perks. Then theres still another crew who have a mix of the two going on. I just love how we're all so varied in our head canons but are still able to come together and coexist peacefully onsite :)
X0JktGl.png
[quote name="2BDamned" date="2023-11-08 09:28:29" ] physically straight-up dragons (i tend to give them dextrous hands, though), mentally on par with a human, though they come with different instincts and from a different culture. i like speculative biology what can i say [/quote] Basically my own interpretation as well - though I do imagine it's possible for dragons to be more feral occasionally.
2BDamned wrote on 2023-11-08 09:28:29:
physically straight-up dragons (i tend to give them dextrous hands, though), mentally on par with a human, though they come with different instincts and from a different culture. i like speculative biology what can i say
Basically my own interpretation as well - though I do imagine it's possible for dragons to be more feral occasionally.
Tobias | He/Him | Fiesta de Muertos and The Flying Trapeze (100 hatchling challenges)
Regarding forum games, please only select dragons who have familiars - those are the permanent residents of my lair. Feel free to look through the hibernal den, too
Depends on the dragon really. Some of my dragons are pretty feral and behave more like wild animals. Some on that same or similar level are zombies or animal hybrids.

However, most of my dragons are in line with FR canon as far as their anthropomorphism lies. Where they look like dragons, but have human-like intelligence and some functionalities such as wearing clothes and using tools/weapons/etc.

Then I have a couple who can actually transform into humans/humanoids.
Depends on the dragon really. Some of my dragons are pretty feral and behave more like wild animals. Some on that same or similar level are zombies or animal hybrids.

However, most of my dragons are in line with FR canon as far as their anthropomorphism lies. Where they look like dragons, but have human-like intelligence and some functionalities such as wearing clothes and using tools/weapons/etc.

Then I have a couple who can actually transform into humans/humanoids.
sJmKU07.gifa8FvSEr.png9dYW39C.png
In body, full dragons. In mind, basically human.

They have soceities and holidays and Deities they worship in canon lore, but depending on the era (I have 2 in my personal lore lol) they will refer to dens as the best option (Era 1) or as the worst compared to an apartment (Era 2). Basically my eras are like humans looking back on Medieval times in terms of how far we've come. They typically will say 'claw' instead of hand ("things seem to be getting out of claw here!") but their culture are what's very interesting to me, because I don't want my dragons to just be limited by their instincts (otherwise I'd have to scrap literally everything from all my dragons and become a mono/near mono lair) and it definitely would limit what I could write.

They can use tools, can grab stuff, ect. in canon lore. I don't see the need to change that, because that's so cool. They canonically have archeologist sites. I love it

In terms of animalistic traits, the most of their instincts is a culture thing, and maybe Guardians having 1 thing they'll protect with their lives. Honestly that's all, they eat with forks and spoons on plates, or chopsticks, they cook, they clean, they make art, and they live life. .5/10 on the warrior cat scale of human minds but animalistic traits
In body, full dragons. In mind, basically human.

They have soceities and holidays and Deities they worship in canon lore, but depending on the era (I have 2 in my personal lore lol) they will refer to dens as the best option (Era 1) or as the worst compared to an apartment (Era 2). Basically my eras are like humans looking back on Medieval times in terms of how far we've come. They typically will say 'claw' instead of hand ("things seem to be getting out of claw here!") but their culture are what's very interesting to me, because I don't want my dragons to just be limited by their instincts (otherwise I'd have to scrap literally everything from all my dragons and become a mono/near mono lair) and it definitely would limit what I could write.

They can use tools, can grab stuff, ect. in canon lore. I don't see the need to change that, because that's so cool. They canonically have archeologist sites. I love it

In terms of animalistic traits, the most of their instincts is a culture thing, and maybe Guardians having 1 thing they'll protect with their lives. Honestly that's all, they eat with forks and spoons on plates, or chopsticks, they cook, they clean, they make art, and they live life. .5/10 on the warrior cat scale of human minds but animalistic traits
wUPafb6.png
RGeeKht.pngdeathseeker_caw_inv_zpsxpt2usp7.gif
As human as they are in canon. They wear clothes, use tools, and have at least some kind of job they do, even if a lot of them are more on the fantastical side of things.
As human as they are in canon. They wear clothes, use tools, and have at least some kind of job they do, even if a lot of them are more on the fantastical side of things.
DNsZOzK.png
They look like dragons and in my lore I even describe their colors and genes. Wings and tails are incorporated into their body language. They're dexterous with their front paws and are able to less efficiently manipulate items with their back paws.

They have human-like intelligence and are capable of magic and telepathy, though these require practice and typically are not innate abilities. They're essentially humans mentally, but tend to have a greater mind-body connection than we do.
They look like dragons and in my lore I even describe their colors and genes. Wings and tails are incorporated into their body language. They're dexterous with their front paws and are able to less efficiently manipulate items with their back paws.

They have human-like intelligence and are capable of magic and telepathy, though these require practice and typically are not innate abilities. They're essentially humans mentally, but tend to have a greater mind-body connection than we do.
Sturm
with a
"U"
Gay man (MlM) flag in the style of a faux FlightRising item He/It
FR Time +0
G1 Hoarder
Current Avatar
DO1.png H1sgaHX.png
for lore dragons mine are mostly just furries but can be DRAWN as just dragons if i feel like it. theyre not 'canonically' feral dragons theyre anthro dragons but it can be fun to draw just a dragon sometimes. their universe works like most anthro universes where everything is made for humanoids instead; they have thumbs, they wear clothes with some variation (tails, they don't have to wear shirts, i dunno about wings its never been a priority lol), their heights have human variation instead of flight rising dragon variation, etc. they retain some level of animalistic traits being furry dragons but they're basically just people.
some of them aren't really involved in the same lore as the main lair so they might be different tbh. some of my dragons are just representations of other things like mechs or monsters or gods. i haven't thought much about the specifics of everyone.
when i first started playing fr they were just feral dragons who were anthropomorphized more like warrior cats but i changed that with my lore revamp
for lore dragons mine are mostly just furries but can be DRAWN as just dragons if i feel like it. theyre not 'canonically' feral dragons theyre anthro dragons but it can be fun to draw just a dragon sometimes. their universe works like most anthro universes where everything is made for humanoids instead; they have thumbs, they wear clothes with some variation (tails, they don't have to wear shirts, i dunno about wings its never been a priority lol), their heights have human variation instead of flight rising dragon variation, etc. they retain some level of animalistic traits being furry dragons but they're basically just people.
some of them aren't really involved in the same lore as the main lair so they might be different tbh. some of my dragons are just representations of other things like mechs or monsters or gods. i haven't thought much about the specifics of everyone.
when i first started playing fr they were just feral dragons who were anthropomorphized more like warrior cats but i changed that with my lore revamp
The eyes of Lio Fotia and Galo Thymos from Promare in official art by Hiroyuki Imaishi staring dramatically past the viewer. There is a ball of fire in their colors (blue, pink, and white) between them
Feral, only listen to instincts. I imagine them as beasts more cruel than animals
Feral, only listen to instincts. I imagine them as beasts more cruel than animals
I'm a huge fan of the Books of the Raksura series by Martha Wells, so my dragons take after the Raksura if they're not based on a specific media source. Human-level intelligence if not more, but very different cultural values and expectations. In addition, very used to different species' behavior - the way Fae and Coatl respectively communicate, for example, and how Guardians have their Charge and Pearlcatchers have a physical representation of their soul. Everyone is multilingual.
I'm a huge fan of the Books of the Raksura series by Martha Wells, so my dragons take after the Raksura if they're not based on a specific media source. Human-level intelligence if not more, but very different cultural values and expectations. In addition, very used to different species' behavior - the way Fae and Coatl respectively communicate, for example, and how Guardians have their Charge and Pearlcatchers have a physical representation of their soul. Everyone is multilingual.
FObX7rS.png
q9EEy5M.png
o9yS1eq.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png

oR9L7e0.png(image-heavy)
Mine are full dragons, with full human intelligence and animalistic instincts. Of course, a dragon could grow out of these instincts with enough training, but most do not.

When it comes to how they communicate to each other, I like to imagine that draconic consists of various tones of growls, hums, roars, and body language that can be written and read.

Dragon lairs can be as high-tech, or naturalistic as a clan wishes it to be, so it's not uncommon to see full blown den lairs and literal mansions in the same region!
Mine are full dragons, with full human intelligence and animalistic instincts. Of course, a dragon could grow out of these instincts with enough training, but most do not.

When it comes to how they communicate to each other, I like to imagine that draconic consists of various tones of growls, hums, roars, and body language that can be written and read.

Dragon lairs can be as high-tech, or naturalistic as a clan wishes it to be, so it's not uncommon to see full blown den lairs and literal mansions in the same region!
20240124-2118111.gif
1 2 3 4 5