Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Pinglist Suggestions from Dom Organizers
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
I haven’t been targeted by harassment, but I know other people have, to the point that large lists like GASP had to add blacklists to stop targeted users from being maliciously added to offsite lists. Since targeted users are added anonymously to offsite lists and pinged onsite by innocent bystanders trying to use lists as intended, it’s a really nasty, unmoderable problem. (Targeted users can’t even block the people harassing them because they’re getting pinged by 20+ innocent bystanders!) At its peak the problem was so severe that staff added the ability to opt out of pings entirely, but it sounds like harassment is creeping back up again. Plus harassed users shouldn’t have to forgo all pings due to a few malicious actors!

Imo the staff are 100% right to seek an on-site solution and I love the base system they’ve created, it just needs tweaks and expanded functionality to accommodate complex systems like dom and GASP - which is the point of this intermediate stage where both offsite and onsite ping lists are allowed.
I haven’t been targeted by harassment, but I know other people have, to the point that large lists like GASP had to add blacklists to stop targeted users from being maliciously added to offsite lists. Since targeted users are added anonymously to offsite lists and pinged onsite by innocent bystanders trying to use lists as intended, it’s a really nasty, unmoderable problem. (Targeted users can’t even block the people harassing them because they’re getting pinged by 20+ innocent bystanders!) At its peak the problem was so severe that staff added the ability to opt out of pings entirely, but it sounds like harassment is creeping back up again. Plus harassed users shouldn’t have to forgo all pings due to a few malicious actors!

Imo the staff are 100% right to seek an on-site solution and I love the base system they’ve created, it just needs tweaks and expanded functionality to accommodate complex systems like dom and GASP - which is the point of this intermediate stage where both offsite and onsite ping lists are allowed.
“blaireau’s
support! i get most of my essential information offsite for dom stuff, but i know how hard the dom leaders work and i want their jobs to continue to be as stressfree as possible so we can keep doing fun stuff :D
support! i get most of my essential information offsite for dom stuff, but i know how hard the dom leaders work and i want their jobs to continue to be as stressfree as possible so we can keep doing fun stuff :D
9mjyPzr.png he/him; just havin a good time! >art shop
Support.

Since it seems like harassment is a problem, I agree we need an onsite solution to pinglists. But if that onsite solution doesn't meet the needs of the player base then people are going to organize off-site (e.g. via discord) to an even greater extent than they do now.
Support.

Since it seems like harassment is a problem, I agree we need an onsite solution to pinglists. But if that onsite solution doesn't meet the needs of the player base then people are going to organize off-site (e.g. via discord) to an even greater extent than they do now.
A badge from Water Flight 2022 Soup-bowl. Tortilla soup in a green bowl with a design of an imperial dragon face on the frontXjQwdJY.gifHA8DM8L.gifPGfmmbA.gifxuhxqR0.png
So as someone who has been harassed by being added to GASP maliciously, the safeguards they have in place nowadays are really good. Since being added to their blacklist, I haven't gotten a single GASP ping in like, 5 years. I believe most, if not all, other big pinglists have similar protections in place and/or will go D: and lock their systems down if they get a report of harassment, because I guarantee none of us will ever stand for that kind of nonsense.

As someone with a bit of a sizable pinglist (flash sale pinglist), I can confidently say that we're on exactly the same side of wanting to protect users and honestly? If you want to put restrictions on what safety measures must be in place for a public mass pinglist to exist, I think we'd all be happy to comply. Just tell us what you need from us to protect users while also allowing our pinglists to exist and function. Otherwise, everyone is going to move to Discord where you can't moderate or protect users from bad actors that you can otherwise catch and punish on your own website (especially with an in-house system!).
So as someone who has been harassed by being added to GASP maliciously, the safeguards they have in place nowadays are really good. Since being added to their blacklist, I haven't gotten a single GASP ping in like, 5 years. I believe most, if not all, other big pinglists have similar protections in place and/or will go D: and lock their systems down if they get a report of harassment, because I guarantee none of us will ever stand for that kind of nonsense.

As someone with a bit of a sizable pinglist (flash sale pinglist), I can confidently say that we're on exactly the same side of wanting to protect users and honestly? If you want to put restrictions on what safety measures must be in place for a public mass pinglist to exist, I think we'd all be happy to comply. Just tell us what you need from us to protect users while also allowing our pinglists to exist and function. Otherwise, everyone is going to move to Discord where you can't moderate or protect users from bad actors that you can otherwise catch and punish on your own website (especially with an in-house system!).
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
Almost every pinglist I interact with is either public or shared by a group. I tend to be a wallflower, so shared pings make it easy to stay in the loop and active.
Almost every pinglist I interact with is either public or shared by a group. I tend to be a wallflower, so shared pings make it easy to stay in the loop and active.
opzM5wG.gifHW4lpxl.pngegg_fire_bouncy_by_dogi_crimson-dabjwuf.gif0wMky.gif2Pe6z.gif
Huge support! Dunno if someone else has mentioned it (unfortunately I don't have the time to dig through all 15 pages of this thread) but I would also love something like thread-specific pinglists that could only be used in one thread or one subforum. This way a pinglist can be public without too many opportunities to abuse it by pinging it in random threads.
For example, the Nest Network and a bunch of other nest rental threads have lists for each flight that anyone can ping-- taking away the "anyone can ping" part kind of makes the thread useless, but making a public pinglist might not be the best option. Any person could theoretically use it in any subforum for any reason (including to harass users or ask for a completely unrelated good/service). But by making a pinglist thread-specific the Nest Network could use them without people worrying about unrelated pings.
Don't know how practical it would be to implement but hey, suggestions are suggestions :-) Again huge support for the other suggestions here
Huge support! Dunno if someone else has mentioned it (unfortunately I don't have the time to dig through all 15 pages of this thread) but I would also love something like thread-specific pinglists that could only be used in one thread or one subforum. This way a pinglist can be public without too many opportunities to abuse it by pinging it in random threads.
For example, the Nest Network and a bunch of other nest rental threads have lists for each flight that anyone can ping-- taking away the "anyone can ping" part kind of makes the thread useless, but making a public pinglist might not be the best option. Any person could theoretically use it in any subforum for any reason (including to harass users or ask for a completely unrelated good/service). But by making a pinglist thread-specific the Nest Network could use them without people worrying about unrelated pings.
Don't know how practical it would be to implement but hey, suggestions are suggestions :-) Again huge support for the other suggestions here
audric - repi - comm
it/its - ie/ier - ie/iem - ve/vem
i'm friendly! feel free to shoot a pm or leave a profile comment :D
I really like the idea of needing something like a 30-day account age and some kind of minimal activity in order to use public pinglists. Perhaps requiring a minimum achievement point count would allow players to unlock the ability to use public pinglists after their account age is over 30 days. This would help with the harassment issue, especially with the problem of people making throwaway accounts. [quote name="Aequorin" date="2023-10-27 16:07:59" ] [b]This is part of why a pinglist is locked to the player who created it.[/b] Because even with pinglists being opt-in, even with them being onsite, [b]we have to weigh the consequences of open-to-the-public pingable lists[/b] with the potential for exploit, especially from tech and internet savvy bad faith actors. Throwaway accounts with throwaway emails on a dynamic VPN could easily target and troll a pinglist that's open to the public to ping. This isn't to say with enough time and iteration a solution can't be found. It's to say that we have to keep this in mind and in consideration when developing this feature further. [/quote] Requiring someone to have at least 30 days of activity and a certain amount of achievement points (so it's clear they actually are playing the game) before being able to use public pinglists for pinging would help dissuade bad faith actors by making the effort required to abuse a pinglist that much greater. Also requiring players to have a minimum forum post count could help as well, since someone needing to ping people on a public list should at least be expected to have been using the forum and be familiar with it. And require some effort before being able to unlock a feature with so much potential for misuse. Public (and shared/co-owned) pinglists could come with a pop-up letting players know that access to this pinglist is not limited to a single person, requiring confirmation that they do indeed still want to join it knowing they may be pinged by multiple different people. Having the owner(s) of a pinglist able to temporarily disable the use of a pinglist without deleting it, in the event of an issue cropping up, would also be really helpful. It could then be re-enabled once the issue is solved, without having to re-create the whole pinglist. Being able to transfer ownership of a pinglist would be fantastic too, in the event the original owner doesn't have the time to maintain it. Being able to set an option on a pinglist to allow automatic transfer to someone else after a certain amount of time of inactivity would also be really helpful, and a lot less stressful for those maintaining big community lists. [quote name="Aequorin" date="2023-10-27 16:07:59" ] As for approved co-owners, one of the issues we have to consider is how that works with blocking. What happens if a player has blocked the originator of the co-owned pinglist after subscribing? Should the co-owners be able to ping that individual with the list? What if the originator blocks a player, should the co-owners still be able to ping that player with the pinglist? [/quote] I'm not sure how hard it would be to code, but having different options for how pinglists handle blocked users and ownership would help prevent issues. For private pinglists, it would make sense that someone should not be able to opt-in to a pinglist owned by someone they've blocked. And they would automatically be removed from any private pinglists they were on if they've blocked the owner of that pinglist. Additionally, it would also make sense that if a player has someone blocked, that blocked player would not be able to join any pinglists that the person who blocked them has made. And if they block someone, that person is automatically removed from any pinglists they own. Hopefully, this is already how the current pinglist system works? For public pinglists useable by anyone, however, it would make more sense that only the person using the pinglist to ping would be the one the game checks to make sure blocked players aren't being pinged. So if a player uses a public pinglist, any players on that pinglist that they have blocked simply aren't pinged. Likewise, if players have them blocked, those players won't be pinged even if they're on the pinglist. That way, people aren't prevented from taking part in dom or other community-driven forum things just because someone involved might have someone else blocked. For co-owned pinglists (where only co-owners can use it to ping people), maybe leave it up to the pinglist creator whether to use the public or private system for how blocked players are handled. And when people attempt to join a pinglist, inform them what type of pinglist it is and which options it's using so that they can confirm whether they would like to proceed and opt-in, or cancel. That way, for things like connected hatcheries or art shops where only a few specific people need to use the list for pinging, they could use a private pinglist system where all co-owners are checked for whether they have someone blocked when a player tries to join the pinglist. And someone who has one of the co-owners blocked would not be able to join. All co-owners would be treated like the owner, so if one of them blocks a player, that player would be removed from the co-owned private pinglist if they're on it. And if a co-owner is added, players who have them blocked would automatically be removed from the pinglist. But for things like dom, the owner(s) blocked list shouldn't really matter since it would likely be multiple members of the dom team using a huge flight pinglist without excluding anyone in the flight who wanted to join. They'd probably want to have blocked players handled the way a public pinglist would handle it. Still not ideal, but better than not having those pinglists at all. Having an option in account settings that allows players to receive pinglist pings from people they've blocked, just like being able to get pinglist pings even if they have general pings disabled, might be another option for those active in things like dom or the large sales groups. [quote name="Aequorin" date="2023-10-27 16:07:59" ] What happens when co-owners have a falling out, where an approved co-owner did more to maintain the pinglist than the originator? Who owns the list? Do we need to task our employees with mediating player personal relationships over pinglists? What if the originator becomes inactive or does something that costs them the ability to access their account? Just the possible solutions floated within the team while reading through your feedback lead to additional scenarios and edge cases. [/quote] I could see ownership already being an issue with the current system. If someone owning a dominance-related pinglist goes inactive, the only options currently are to completely restart the pinglist or to move to some offsite system like Discord. Between the prospect of continually having to restart massive pinglists when someone goes inactive or moving entirely offsite, the latter would inevitably be more practical. Co-owned pinglists still seem to me to be a far better solution, despite the potential issues. If there is a falling out between co-owners, it could definitely lead to a tricky situation. But this sort of thing is already an issue just in forum threads where multiple people are running something. How does staff handle those? What happens if the thread creator isn't the one doing most of the work running the thread? Would staff even intervene, or would they just tell the co-owner of the forum thread to make their own separate thread? Or would they mediate between the players in such a case? I'd say pinglists are similar enough that they should be handled the same way. Perhaps, for simplicity's sake, make it clear when creating pinglists that the originator would own the pinglist - at that point, either they work it out between them or the co-owner goes and makes their own separate pinglist. The list itself should be owned by the originator unless they transfer it to someone else, but maybe pinglists can come with a setting to designate another co-owner become the main owner if the originator is inactive after a set amount of time. That would mostly be helpful for things like dom and other community stuff. [quote name="Aequorin" date="2023-10-27 16:07:59" ] There are infrastructure concerns with raw mass pings of hundreds of players at a time that we have to consider as well. We understand how they're useful, how they're used, why they're used, but we never coded our proprietary forum software to support it. Even if we adjust the raw ping cap, being able to send hundreds of raw pings in a reply just isn't sustainable for the site. [/quote] With all the revamps and partial revamps to core site systems already, this makes it seem like perhaps a full forum revamp should be moved up on the to-do list a bit. Just looking at the latest devlog, I suspect far more people use the ping feature on the forums than use custom skin submissions, for instance. With how central the forums are to maintaining the various FR communities, having the infrastructure to support it feels like it should take priority. Obviously, this is a huge undertaking and wouldn't be done anytime soon, but removing mass pings without a good alternative in place will only encourage those communities to move to other platforms like discord, which cannot be moderated by the FR team at all. And likely would only exacerbate any ongoing harassment issues. I'm glad to see we'll have time to still use mass pings - hopefully some solution can be found to continue using them without needing to rely on offsite communication.

I really like the idea of needing something like a 30-day account age and some kind of minimal activity in order to use public pinglists. Perhaps requiring a minimum achievement point count would allow players to unlock the ability to use public pinglists after their account age is over 30 days. This would help with the harassment issue, especially with the problem of people making throwaway accounts.

Aequorin wrote on 2023-10-27 16:07:59:
This is part of why a pinglist is locked to the player who created it. Because even with pinglists being opt-in, even with them being onsite, we have to weigh the consequences of open-to-the-public pingable lists with the potential for exploit, especially from tech and internet savvy bad faith actors. Throwaway accounts with throwaway emails on a dynamic VPN could easily target and troll a pinglist that's open to the public to ping. This isn't to say with enough time and iteration a solution can't be found. It's to say that we have to keep this in mind and in consideration when developing this feature further.

Requiring someone to have at least 30 days of activity and a certain amount of achievement points (so it's clear they actually are playing the game) before being able to use public pinglists for pinging would help dissuade bad faith actors by making the effort required to abuse a pinglist that much greater. Also requiring players to have a minimum forum post count could help as well, since someone needing to ping people on a public list should at least be expected to have been using the forum and be familiar with it. And require some effort before being able to unlock a feature with so much potential for misuse.

Public (and shared/co-owned) pinglists could come with a pop-up letting players know that access to this pinglist is not limited to a single person, requiring confirmation that they do indeed still want to join it knowing they may be pinged by multiple different people.

Having the owner(s) of a pinglist able to temporarily disable the use of a pinglist without deleting it, in the event of an issue cropping up, would also be really helpful. It could then be re-enabled once the issue is solved, without having to re-create the whole pinglist.

Being able to transfer ownership of a pinglist would be fantastic too, in the event the original owner doesn't have the time to maintain it. Being able to set an option on a pinglist to allow automatic transfer to someone else after a certain amount of time of inactivity would also be really helpful, and a lot less stressful for those maintaining big community lists.

As for approved co-owners, one of the issues we have to consider is how that works with blocking. What happens if a player has blocked the originator of the co-owned pinglist after subscribing? Should the co-owners be able to ping that individual with the list? What if the originator blocks a player, should the co-owners still be able to ping that player with the pinglist?

I'm not sure how hard it would be to code, but having different options for how pinglists handle blocked users and ownership would help prevent issues.

For private pinglists, it would make sense that someone should not be able to opt-in to a pinglist owned by someone they've blocked. And they would automatically be removed from any private pinglists they were on if they've blocked the owner of that pinglist. Additionally, it would also make sense that if a player has someone blocked, that blocked player would not be able to join any pinglists that the person who blocked them has made. And if they block someone, that person is automatically removed from any pinglists they own. Hopefully, this is already how the current pinglist system works?

For public pinglists useable by anyone, however, it would make more sense that only the person using the pinglist to ping would be the one the game checks to make sure blocked players aren't being pinged. So if a player uses a public pinglist, any players on that pinglist that they have blocked simply aren't pinged. Likewise, if players have them blocked, those players won't be pinged even if they're on the pinglist. That way, people aren't prevented from taking part in dom or other community-driven forum things just because someone involved might have someone else blocked.

For co-owned pinglists (where only co-owners can use it to ping people), maybe leave it up to the pinglist creator whether to use the public or private system for how blocked players are handled. And when people attempt to join a pinglist, inform them what type of pinglist it is and which options it's using so that they can confirm whether they would like to proceed and opt-in, or cancel.

That way, for things like connected hatcheries or art shops where only a few specific people need to use the list for pinging, they could use a private pinglist system where all co-owners are checked for whether they have someone blocked when a player tries to join the pinglist. And someone who has one of the co-owners blocked would not be able to join. All co-owners would be treated like the owner, so if one of them blocks a player, that player would be removed from the co-owned private pinglist if they're on it. And if a co-owner is added, players who have them blocked would automatically be removed from the pinglist.

But for things like dom, the owner(s) blocked list shouldn't really matter since it would likely be multiple members of the dom team using a huge flight pinglist without excluding anyone in the flight who wanted to join. They'd probably want to have blocked players handled the way a public pinglist would handle it. Still not ideal, but better than not having those pinglists at all.

Having an option in account settings that allows players to receive pinglist pings from people they've blocked, just like being able to get pinglist pings even if they have general pings disabled, might be another option for those active in things like dom or the large sales groups.

What happens when co-owners have a falling out, where an approved co-owner did more to maintain the pinglist than the originator? Who owns the list? Do we need to task our employees with mediating player personal relationships over pinglists? What if the originator becomes inactive or does something that costs them the ability to access their account? Just the possible solutions floated within the team while reading through your feedback lead to additional scenarios and edge cases.

I could see ownership already being an issue with the current system. If someone owning a dominance-related pinglist goes inactive, the only options currently are to completely restart the pinglist or to move to some offsite system like Discord. Between the prospect of continually having to restart massive pinglists when someone goes inactive or moving entirely offsite, the latter would inevitably be more practical. Co-owned pinglists still seem to me to be a far better solution, despite the potential issues.

If there is a falling out between co-owners, it could definitely lead to a tricky situation. But this sort of thing is already an issue just in forum threads where multiple people are running something. How does staff handle those? What happens if the thread creator isn't the one doing most of the work running the thread? Would staff even intervene, or would they just tell the co-owner of the forum thread to make their own separate thread? Or would they mediate between the players in such a case? I'd say pinglists are similar enough that they should be handled the same way.

Perhaps, for simplicity's sake, make it clear when creating pinglists that the originator would own the pinglist - at that point, either they work it out between them or the co-owner goes and makes their own separate pinglist. The list itself should be owned by the originator unless they transfer it to someone else, but maybe pinglists can come with a setting to designate another co-owner become the main owner if the originator is inactive after a set amount of time. That would mostly be helpful for things like dom and other community stuff.

There are infrastructure concerns with raw mass pings of hundreds of players at a time that we have to consider as well. We understand how they're useful, how they're used, why they're used, but we never coded our proprietary forum software to support it. Even if we adjust the raw ping cap, being able to send hundreds of raw pings in a reply just isn't sustainable for the site.

With all the revamps and partial revamps to core site systems already, this makes it seem like perhaps a full forum revamp should be moved up on the to-do list a bit. Just looking at the latest devlog, I suspect far more people use the ping feature on the forums than use custom skin submissions, for instance. With how central the forums are to maintaining the various FR communities, having the infrastructure to support it feels like it should take priority. Obviously, this is a huge undertaking and wouldn't be done anytime soon, but removing mass pings without a good alternative in place will only encourage those communities to move to other platforms like discord, which cannot be moderated by the FR team at all. And likely would only exacerbate any ongoing harassment issues. I'm glad to see we'll have time to still use mass pings - hopefully some solution can be found to continue using them without needing to rely on offsite communication.

I like what others have said about community pings requiring accounts to be of a certain age and to have shown some degree of activity. This feels like an useful feature not only for pings but other game features as well.

I recently joined a reddit forum where they required you to read their rules and reply with a specific phrase, then a bot picked up on that and unlocked the ability to post. Requiring the player to do an action to unlock community pings could be an additional deterrent against trolls, so long as that action is accessible. It would also be an opportunity to inform about etiquette.
I like what others have said about community pings requiring accounts to be of a certain age and to have shown some degree of activity. This feels like an useful feature not only for pings but other game features as well.

I recently joined a reddit forum where they required you to read their rules and reply with a specific phrase, then a bot picked up on that and unlocked the ability to post. Requiring the player to do an action to unlock community pings could be an additional deterrent against trolls, so long as that action is accessible. It would also be an opportunity to inform about etiquette.
The harassment that these pinglists have been introduced to counteract has been consistently done through signing up someone who doesn’t know/agree to: [list][*]individual shop and hatchery pinglists [*]simple self-edit pinglists that require multiple people to ping (dom, swipp swap, flash sale, etc.) [*]skin runs[/list] ----- The first problem has already been addressed with the introduction of the on site pinglists. Individual shop and hatchery pinglists almost never need to have multiple people pinging them, and are easy for shop runners to start and maintain. There might be certain features that would be beneficial for individual shop runners to have, but the core functionality is preserved and most people have already moved over to them. ----- The second problem is harder to address, as staff have already brought up their concerns with allowing multiple/any person to ping the list. However, if the list is used against its purpose to harass users by someone pinging it, [b]it is visible on site who has misused the list[/b], and it’s possible to take action against that account. Sock puppets can still be used to ping one person over and over again to harass them, even once mass pings are disabled - that is more of an issue with the ability to create sock puppets, than the ability of accounts to ping multiple/any person pinglists. I hope that staff can find some solution to this issue that they’re comfortable with that allows these pinglists to move on site, such as setting an account age limit on the ability to ping public lists and send out mass pings. ----- The third problem is not compatible with how pinglists currently function, and would probably need another framework to support it. Skin runs are generally done through self-edit spreadsheets currently because artists would expend a lot of time and energy to manage everyone who would like a copy of the skin. Even with removing mass pings, most skin artists will continue to use a spreadsheet sign-up, and ping each run in a separate post if they take preorders. If they simply send a skin to every person who signs up, then removing mass pings won’t affect them at all. [b]Removing mass pings won’t fix the harassment issue[/b], as people can still be signed up without their knowledge, and only realize it when they get a private auction out of the blue one day, or an individual run ping. In order to remove the third problem from being an avenue of harassment, [b]there needs to be some on-site way of allowing skin run sign ups[/b]. This could be a sign up list similar to the pinglists, but when a sign up list is created, the creator can specify: how many names the list should let you subgroup it into, how many times someone can sign up for the list, and how many max subgroups the list should allow. This would allow the creator to set it to 10 for skin runs, allow for people to sign up for multiple copies of the skin or restrict it if needed, and limit how many skin runs they’d like to print maximum. The creator should also be able to see sign-up order for everyone on the list, to send out runs in the right order and if the last run doesn’t fill, to be able to tell the right people that their run unfortunately didn’t get enough interest to print. Many skin artists start recording runs for a skin before it exists on site, in order to gauge if it’s worth sending in a run to be printed or to ask for people who are interested to send them gems so they’re able to buy the blueprint for the run. This means any sign up system [b]should be divorced from requiring a skin ID or an image being attached[/b] to the sign up system, to prevent the mods from having to approve these images as well. This would also allow the sign up system to be used in other ways, like for an artist opening up art slots where it’s necessary to set an upper limit on how many people can sign up, and to have an order on who signed up first. ----- Finally, I’d like to state that if there are solutions in place for these three harassment methods (individual shop lists, simple lists that require multiple people to ping, and skin runs), then mass pings are extremely unlikely to be used for harassment in the future. GASP, GEES (the G1 pinglist), and ODCA all have precautions in place to prevent them from being used to sign someone up continuously without their knowledge. Both GASP and G1 have the ability to put usernames on a “do not add at all” list in the backend, which players can request via posting in the forum so that their names are never in the list no matter how many times a bad actor submits a Google Form. The ODCA lists are done entirely through forum requests, it’s not possible for someone to be added to the list and not be told about it. I hope that there can be another evaluation of how mass pinglists are used (before they are sunset and after there are onsite alternatives to the things listed above), to see if it’s truly necessary to remove that functionality. ((thank you to 888, squidragon, brit, dreamclaws, goldia, starrlight, kywren, october, sassypants, peyp, dracowolf, and other flight dom leads for taking a look at my thoughts and helping me get them in order!!))
The harassment that these pinglists have been introduced to counteract has been consistently done through signing up someone who doesn’t know/agree to:
  • individual shop and hatchery pinglists
  • simple self-edit pinglists that require multiple people to ping (dom, swipp swap, flash sale, etc.)
  • skin runs

The first problem has already been addressed with the introduction of the on site pinglists. Individual shop and hatchery pinglists almost never need to have multiple people pinging them, and are easy for shop runners to start and maintain. There might be certain features that would be beneficial for individual shop runners to have, but the core functionality is preserved and most people have already moved over to them.
The second problem is harder to address, as staff have already brought up their concerns with allowing multiple/any person to ping the list. However, if the list is used against its purpose to harass users by someone pinging it, it is visible on site who has misused the list, and it’s possible to take action against that account. Sock puppets can still be used to ping one person over and over again to harass them, even once mass pings are disabled - that is more of an issue with the ability to create sock puppets, than the ability of accounts to ping multiple/any person pinglists.

I hope that staff can find some solution to this issue that they’re comfortable with that allows these pinglists to move on site, such as setting an account age limit on the ability to ping public lists and send out mass pings.
The third problem is not compatible with how pinglists currently function, and would probably need another framework to support it. Skin runs are generally done through self-edit spreadsheets currently because artists would expend a lot of time and energy to manage everyone who would like a copy of the skin.

Even with removing mass pings, most skin artists will continue to use a spreadsheet sign-up, and ping each run in a separate post if they take preorders. If they simply send a skin to every person who signs up, then removing mass pings won’t affect them at all. Removing mass pings won’t fix the harassment issue, as people can still be signed up without their knowledge, and only realize it when they get a private auction out of the blue one day, or an individual run ping.

In order to remove the third problem from being an avenue of harassment, there needs to be some on-site way of allowing skin run sign ups. This could be a sign up list similar to the pinglists, but when a sign up list is created, the creator can specify: how many names the list should let you subgroup it into, how many times someone can sign up for the list, and how many max subgroups the list should allow. This would allow the creator to set it to 10 for skin runs, allow for people to sign up for multiple copies of the skin or restrict it if needed, and limit how many skin runs they’d like to print maximum. The creator should also be able to see sign-up order for everyone on the list, to send out runs in the right order and if the last run doesn’t fill, to be able to tell the right people that their run unfortunately didn’t get enough interest to print.

Many skin artists start recording runs for a skin before it exists on site, in order to gauge if it’s worth sending in a run to be printed or to ask for people who are interested to send them gems so they’re able to buy the blueprint for the run. This means any sign up system should be divorced from requiring a skin ID or an image being attached to the sign up system, to prevent the mods from having to approve these images as well. This would also allow the sign up system to be used in other ways, like for an artist opening up art slots where it’s necessary to set an upper limit on how many people can sign up, and to have an order on who signed up first.
Finally, I’d like to state that if there are solutions in place for these three harassment methods (individual shop lists, simple lists that require multiple people to ping, and skin runs), then mass pings are extremely unlikely to be used for harassment in the future. GASP, GEES (the G1 pinglist), and ODCA all have precautions in place to prevent them from being used to sign someone up continuously without their knowledge. Both GASP and G1 have the ability to put usernames on a “do not add at all” list in the backend, which players can request via posting in the forum so that their names are never in the list no matter how many times a bad actor submits a Google Form. The ODCA lists are done entirely through forum requests, it’s not possible for someone to be added to the list and not be told about it.

I hope that there can be another evaluation of how mass pinglists are used (before they are sunset and after there are onsite alternatives to the things listed above), to see if it’s truly necessary to remove that functionality.

((thank you to 888, squidragon, brit, dreamclaws, goldia, starrlight, kywren, october, sassypants, peyp, dracowolf, and other flight dom leads for taking a look at my thoughts and helping me get them in order!!))
various dragon and non-dragon adopts that change on each page reload
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dems
they/them

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
lightning vacation!

spreadsheets
wishlist
dems’s post is well written and I agree re: sources of harassment. Would like to addd on that my concern with pinglists being only pinganle by owner/lack of public pinglists is one of driving communities offsite. Staff moderate this site, not Discord - so what happens if, say, a nest network moves to Discord and people get into an argument and start harassing eaxh other? Then staff can’t deal with it because it’s not their site. I really appreciate the work to deal with pinglist harassment - but I think onsite pinglists do need a public setting or multiple owners setting to avoid pushing people offsite. The current system works super well for individual hatcheries or challenges, but as dems said there’s other cases of harassment it doesn’t work to prevent at the moment.
dems’s post is well written and I agree re: sources of harassment. Would like to addd on that my concern with pinglists being only pinganle by owner/lack of public pinglists is one of driving communities offsite. Staff moderate this site, not Discord - so what happens if, say, a nest network moves to Discord and people get into an argument and start harassing eaxh other? Then staff can’t deal with it because it’s not their site. I really appreciate the work to deal with pinglist harassment - but I think onsite pinglists do need a public setting or multiple owners setting to avoid pushing people offsite. The current system works super well for individual hatcheries or challenges, but as dems said there’s other cases of harassment it doesn’t work to prevent at the moment.

He/him | FRT+1 x
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18