Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Don't limit pings - it'll destroy tools
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20
Cross posting my two cents here to this thread as it seems to be taking the lead as the main thread -

Chiming in to support. I've had some good luck finding and reselling special IDs with SIDHA lately, and they simply would not have sold without being able to alert interested buyers. As is, this system won't achieve bringing pinglist management off google sheets and onsite, and instead potentially drive the entire sales ecosystem onto something like Discord. It needs some serious work before it's able to shoulder well respected and long running pinglists like GASP, Old Oaks, SIDHA, ODCA and so on.

To start with, it would be good if each pinglist had different settings for who can ping them, made apparent to users signing up. These could be "Only Owner Can Ping", "Only Trusted Users Can Ping", "Anyone On The Pinglist Can Ping", and "Anyone Can Ping". This would prevent malicious pinglist sign ups, while not completely kneecapping a whole swathe of FR community organisations.
Cross posting my two cents here to this thread as it seems to be taking the lead as the main thread -

Chiming in to support. I've had some good luck finding and reselling special IDs with SIDHA lately, and they simply would not have sold without being able to alert interested buyers. As is, this system won't achieve bringing pinglist management off google sheets and onsite, and instead potentially drive the entire sales ecosystem onto something like Discord. It needs some serious work before it's able to shoulder well respected and long running pinglists like GASP, Old Oaks, SIDHA, ODCA and so on.

To start with, it would be good if each pinglist had different settings for who can ping them, made apparent to users signing up. These could be "Only Owner Can Ping", "Only Trusted Users Can Ping", "Anyone On The Pinglist Can Ping", and "Anyone Can Ping". This would prevent malicious pinglist sign ups, while not completely kneecapping a whole swathe of FR community organisations.
tumblr_njke7h2LhL1rmxteho1_500.png

Absolute support for not ending mass pings. That would ruin a huge part of FR, dominance, gen one collecting, accent and skin sales, hatcheries, swipp pinglists... And i could go on.
Absolute support for not ending mass pings. That would ruin a huge part of FR, dominance, gen one collecting, accent and skin sales, hatcheries, swipp pinglists... And i could go on.
@Yews they/them
My favourite dragon
Arcane Battlestone Bank
Arcane Food Bank
secrets_for_center_purposes
01110111 01101000 01111001 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110100 01110010 01100001 01101110 01110011 01101100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01100001 01101101 01101110 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101110 01110101 01110100
ssecretssFRT +10
secreteswSnrS.png
secretHouhGS9.pngsecret
big support for keeping mass-pings an option! there are just so many factors in the bigger pinglists that a simple "ping me for this" feature just doesn't cover.
big support for keeping mass-pings an option! there are just so many factors in the bigger pinglists that a simple "ping me for this" feature just doesn't cover.
~~~~~~~
my naym is eef
and wen its day
and wen the ywen
is gonne awaye
and all the cats
hav gonn desyrt
i lye on ground
i eet the dirt
~ a vertical line that looks like the side of a speech bubblea pixel of a stone/beige/brown tundra wearing dark cloth and various jewelry
Support.
Support.
0b5ac273e23a1cd511b0d9f520dd2d8eb60d0cf3.png 9Ts3Q4r.png
JvUa9ma.png
mjtJ868.png
WI7lnRZ.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
support
support
MiYFQWd.gif
Full support.

Adding support of whitelist collaborative pinglists would fix some issues, however it wouldn't solve the problem of such intricate pinglist systems that G1s/GASP have.

I'd say just continue to allow mass pings outside official pinglists. Why can't we have both?

(edited for clarity)
Full support.

Adding support of whitelist collaborative pinglists would fix some issues, however it wouldn't solve the problem of such intricate pinglist systems that G1s/GASP have.

I'd say just continue to allow mass pings outside official pinglists. Why can't we have both?

(edited for clarity)
ZPsmZvN.png91183757.png
[quote name="Colormancy" date="2023-10-26 09:45:20" ] Support! I understand that people have been harassed and that's horrible and frustrating... but I haven't ever seen harassment be "I'm going to ping 50 people just for the lols", because harassment is targeted at one person, and you can still ping one person. The cap won't help this. And as others have said—GASP, g1 hoarders, SIDHA, dom, Old Oaks... all of these are going to be majorly affected. Most people don't have the time to be scrolling forums all day to find shops to subscribe to. The current system has flaws, but it works great 95% of the time (with the remaining 5% being mostly human error, not done with malicious intent.) I love being pinged for skins and g1s that I'm interested in, no matter who the seller is. This update is majorly taking the focus off community, and I could really see this dividing players. How are new artists supposed to get their work seen? (thrilled about the other parts of the update though!) [/quote] To my understanding, the issue with pinglist harassment was that people would add other people's names to the pinglists, which meant that whoever used that ping list would inadvertantly end up pinging that person, so no easy way to trace back to the person who added the name. The users who were using pings to harass weren't directly pinging the person. However, I do agree that being able to set whether a ping list is collaborative (only people who are given permission can use it) or community (anyone who can access the ping list can use it) would be great.
Colormancy wrote on 2023-10-26 09:45:20:
Support! I understand that people have been harassed and that's horrible and frustrating... but I haven't ever seen harassment be "I'm going to ping 50 people just for the lols", because harassment is targeted at one person, and you can still ping one person. The cap won't help this.

And as others have said—GASP, g1 hoarders, SIDHA, dom, Old Oaks... all of these are going to be majorly affected. Most people don't have the time to be scrolling forums all day to find shops to subscribe to. The current system has flaws, but it works great 95% of the time (with the remaining 5% being mostly human error, not done with malicious intent.)

I love being pinged for skins and g1s that I'm interested in, no matter who the seller is. This update is majorly taking the focus off community, and I could really see this dividing players. How are new artists supposed to get their work seen?

(thrilled about the other parts of the update though!)
To my understanding, the issue with pinglist harassment was that people would add other people's names to the pinglists, which meant that whoever used that ping list would inadvertantly end up pinging that person, so no easy way to trace back to the person who added the name.

The users who were using pings to harass weren't directly pinging the person.

However, I do agree that being able to set whether a ping list is collaborative (only people who are given permission can use it) or community (anyone who can access the ping list can use it) would be great.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="Colormancy" date="2023-10-26 09:45:20" ] I understand that people have been harassed and that's horrible and frustrating... but I haven't ever seen harassment be "I'm going to ping 50 people just for the lols", because harassment is targeted at one person, and you can still ping one person. The cap won't help this.[/quote] Completely agree with this, also adding that the most common type of pinglist harassment by far is on external "self-signup" spreadsheet pinglist tools in which people can maliciously/secretly remove people who would like to be pinged and add people who don't want to be pinged. The new pinglist feature as-is would prevent this kind of misuse case and would cut down on the majority of pinglist harassment on its own, which is a long way of saying that capping mass-pings probably won't be very necessary at all in the first place
Colormancy wrote on 2023-10-26 09:45:20:
I understand that people have been harassed and that's horrible and frustrating... but I haven't ever seen harassment be "I'm going to ping 50 people just for the lols", because harassment is targeted at one person, and you can still ping one person. The cap won't help this.

Completely agree with this, also adding that the most common type of pinglist harassment by far is on external "self-signup" spreadsheet pinglist tools in which people can maliciously/secretly remove people who would like to be pinged and add people who don't want to be pinged. The new pinglist feature as-is would prevent this kind of misuse case and would cut down on the majority of pinglist harassment on its own, which is a long way of saying that capping mass-pings probably won't be very necessary at all in the first place
She/They
Transfem
Demiromantic
Polyamorous
Bi Lesbian
Forum button thread
Flight Rising Discord Thread
Pixel commission by NeosiAxiom
Throwing down my support for not ending mass pings as well. I only just woke up but so many people have said it much better than me, i echo their sentiments wholeheartedly.
Throwing down my support for not ending mass pings as well. I only just woke up but so many people have said it much better than me, i echo their sentiments wholeheartedly.
iZNHxAi.gifXkGU4ms.gif1.png

@Plushstiel is my name
Support I understand the intent and would like to second the "approved mods" concept? Or just not removing functionality for mass-pings flat out This would break (off the top of my head): Dom Watch, g1 sales/auctions, all of GASP (by far the biggest way to buy/sell skins, which I'm sure is one of the primary drivers of FR gem sales), massive parts of Dom— basically a lot of the site's fundamental communities. Any decentralized organization would break, and any organization with a leadership structure would need a pinglist refresh whenever the organization changed hands (and the existing leadership would never be able to swap off duties, or take a week off and let someone else handle it). This proposed change undermines all of the most passionate and dedicated communities that help make FR what it is [emoji=spiral sad size=1]
Support

I understand the intent and would like to second the "approved mods" concept? Or just not removing functionality for mass-pings flat out

This would break (off the top of my head): Dom Watch, g1 sales/auctions, all of GASP (by far the biggest way to buy/sell skins, which I'm sure is one of the primary drivers of FR gem sales), massive parts of Dom— basically a lot of the site's fundamental communities.

Any decentralized organization would break, and any organization with a leadership structure would need a pinglist refresh whenever the organization changed hands (and the existing leadership would never be able to swap off duties, or take a week off and let someone else handle it).

This proposed change undermines all of the most passionate and dedicated communities that help make FR what it is
1IZYmZY.pngArcDom Team Members4CDCjo.png9BRXftl.pngyCtSoL2.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20