Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Pinglists & More
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 73 74
No more google sheets open pinglists is amazing
No more google sheets open pinglists is amazing
a cartoonized velvet worm that is a dark blue with white specks all over. the art's signature is 476242
okay, this is pretty exciting! im most looking forward to the skin/accent ordering overhaul, as i hear it’s a real headache for skin/accent makers. time will tell if the pinglist feature will be able to cover the bases that the previous systems did ;O i mostly have concerns of how pinglists are not going to be general-use or public, which is what some of the biggest pinglists rely on.
okay, this is pretty exciting! im most looking forward to the skin/accent ordering overhaul, as i hear it’s a real headache for skin/accent makers. time will tell if the pinglist feature will be able to cover the bases that the previous systems did ;O i mostly have concerns of how pinglists are not going to be general-use or public, which is what some of the biggest pinglists rely on.
A drawing of a blue and yellow Spiral dragon (art by me). Click to go to the dragon! | @Quebeal
| ♦ ¤ ——−−--
|
|
| FR +1 DST
| Any pronouns
| My current avatar dragon!
| Hey there! I wish you a great day.
———-Recolored treeshroud icon by yascherritsa. Click for resource thread!
[quote name="nahum" date="2023-10-26 09:29:25" ] Okay several thoughts: Re: Pinglists- There are several site communities that rely on pinglists to exist, such as GASP, G1 Collectors, ODCA.... but most importantly, DOM teams. I really worry about the removal of mass pings without the ability to create public or at the VERY least, collaborative pinglists that can be owned by multiple users. Dom pinglists cannot be held by a single user. Much how dom teams need to retire threads when folks step down from a role, we don't want to have to put the onus on users to re-subscribe to new pinglists whenever a dom lead steps down or steps up. I'm also worried about pinglists like Swipp's Trades or Site Updates, both of which are collaborative and only work because anyone in our community can pitch in to ping folks when they see that a certain trade is up. We're a widely responsible and respectful community, and while I do enjoy what site-supported pinglists offer, there is a serious need for collaborative, co-owned, and public pinglist features as well. Re: Custom Skin Updates Thank you so much for adding reprints, a site-supported % coverage tracker, and for all your continual hard work with the artist community. Skin queue is so much work! I do think that the system that checks for line breaks will need to show the user submitting the png where the linebreak occurs. There is in particular a few spots on the Veil F base that always get people, and if you get the "2% Overflow" message but can't find the 2%, that's going to get frustrating really quickly. Re: Coli PVP So exciting! Can't wait for more opportunities to mess with stats and numbers in coli. c: [/quote] seconding the idea of collaborative pinglists. single-owner pinglists are such a liability for collaborative efforts like dom!
nahum wrote on 2023-10-26 09:29:25:
Okay several thoughts:

Re: Pinglists-
There are several site communities that rely on pinglists to exist, such as GASP, G1 Collectors, ODCA.... but most importantly, DOM teams. I really worry about the removal of mass pings without the ability to create public or at the VERY least, collaborative pinglists that can be owned by multiple users.

Dom pinglists cannot be held by a single user. Much how dom teams need to retire threads when folks step down from a role, we don't want to have to put the onus on users to re-subscribe to new pinglists whenever a dom lead steps down or steps up.

I'm also worried about pinglists like Swipp's Trades or Site Updates, both of which are collaborative and only work because anyone in our community can pitch in to ping folks when they see that a certain trade is up.

We're a widely responsible and respectful community, and while I do enjoy what site-supported pinglists offer, there is a serious need for collaborative, co-owned, and public pinglist features as well.

Re: Custom Skin Updates
Thank you so much for adding reprints, a site-supported % coverage tracker, and for all your continual hard work with the artist community. Skin queue is so much work!

I do think that the system that checks for line breaks will need to show the user submitting the png where the linebreak occurs. There is in particular a few spots on the Veil F base that always get people, and if you get the "2% Overflow" message but can't find the 2%, that's going to get frustrating really quickly.

Re: Coli PVP
So exciting! Can't wait for more opportunities to mess with stats and numbers in coli. c:

seconding the idea of collaborative pinglists. single-owner pinglists are such a liability for collaborative efforts like dom!
Omg the skin approval revamp is gonna be such a life-saver for both players and devs. How awesome! Also the on-site pinglist creation addition is something I never even thought about but I am so glad it is here! Thank you guys so much for putting in all the work to make this site even better than before!

Also PVP dev update too? Woo!
Omg the skin approval revamp is gonna be such a life-saver for both players and devs. How awesome! Also the on-site pinglist creation addition is something I never even thought about but I am so glad it is here! Thank you guys so much for putting in all the work to make this site even better than before!

Also PVP dev update too? Woo!
Eco1dmi.png Egg Art Shop

Skin shop

Art Shop
Could someone clarify if you can have multiple pinglists per forum thread? Most of the programs I participate in have mulitple "teams" working together for one goal. For example, a fodder farm. You want to be able to ping people who have open nests as one list, people who can hold hatchlings until they grow up as a second, separate list, and also people to train grown dragons as a third list. Plus a ping for coordinators. That's potentially five pinglists in one thread (coordinator, nester, daycare, trainer, and all participants). Will there be support for this as well? EDIT, this would also require some kind of ability for the pinglists to be public or community use.
Could someone clarify if you can have multiple pinglists per forum thread? Most of the programs I participate in have mulitple "teams" working together for one goal. For example, a fodder farm. You want to be able to ping people who have open nests as one list, people who can hold hatchlings until they grow up as a second, separate list, and also people to train grown dragons as a third list. Plus a ping for coordinators. That's potentially five pinglists in one thread (coordinator, nester, daycare, trainer, and all participants). Will there be support for this as well? EDIT, this would also require some kind of ability for the pinglists to be public or community use.
CtM8cLF.png librariesrpunk
FR +3
aka Ghost
irregular_nekomata.png
I very kindly say I never thought I'd see the day. This is quite exciting, I'm looking forward to the ping organization for all the huge collecting groups.
I very kindly say I never thought I'd see the day. This is quite exciting, I'm looking forward to the ping organization for all the huge collecting groups.
fc_deepearth_geode_by_dogi_crimson-daow5ox.gif1ce1bc1e9114986ec275fb021c7aa188355c53cf.png34316932bb57c2c7edc9cb1bbe68551ac4b3ae90.pngb8edff878b4eedd909b341e3677d8b5130bd24b3.pngd66fdae9e20c2d32b34c3253b9a48d3ec34324e0.pngIF1BdEz.png
81ddcc1d16b265ed29552c98d68cd0190ba15854.png
As someone who runs a pinglist thread for the Flight, at first I was excited about this update. A way to get it all to stay on FR! :D And people can join in whenever! Amazing.

But then, only the creator of the thread can use the pinglist? The lists I have are for the whole team of dominance organisers to use, so we'd all need to make the exact same lists so we can use them when the person who is in charge at that time of planning or running an event can ping the players that are interested in the event. And for non-dominance related pings, all of my flight are welcome to use the lists as they feel fit, they don't need to be "official" organisers.

Another thing is that by having the lists onsite, there doesn't seem to be options to give people options what they want to opt into. I would need to make 5 different pinglists for things like pushes, fundraisers, everything, discussions, polls, all separately. Then they would get separately pinged and how does that work, people are going to get 4 pings into one thread? The way I've been doing it on an external site, I've been able to make sure the players don't get unnecessarily pinged, by making sure they are on the correct lists. With users self adding themselves into some lists but not others, there will at some point be mistakes and then they will get pinged to things they didn't actually mean to be included in. Not to mention that the whole active flight would need to make these same lists over and over again... Users signing into dozens of lists just to be able to get pings for whatever it is they are after, no matter Which organiser it is making the thread at the time.

And you're also removing the possibility to use mass pings like we have been doing? I can only see less activity on the site due to people not being able to ping specific things from existing lists.

I wish there was an option to make pinglists shareable with others so they also can ping the entire list, And options inside the list so users can choose which parts of the list they want to be part of.
As someone who runs a pinglist thread for the Flight, at first I was excited about this update. A way to get it all to stay on FR! :D And people can join in whenever! Amazing.

But then, only the creator of the thread can use the pinglist? The lists I have are for the whole team of dominance organisers to use, so we'd all need to make the exact same lists so we can use them when the person who is in charge at that time of planning or running an event can ping the players that are interested in the event. And for non-dominance related pings, all of my flight are welcome to use the lists as they feel fit, they don't need to be "official" organisers.

Another thing is that by having the lists onsite, there doesn't seem to be options to give people options what they want to opt into. I would need to make 5 different pinglists for things like pushes, fundraisers, everything, discussions, polls, all separately. Then they would get separately pinged and how does that work, people are going to get 4 pings into one thread? The way I've been doing it on an external site, I've been able to make sure the players don't get unnecessarily pinged, by making sure they are on the correct lists. With users self adding themselves into some lists but not others, there will at some point be mistakes and then they will get pinged to things they didn't actually mean to be included in. Not to mention that the whole active flight would need to make these same lists over and over again... Users signing into dozens of lists just to be able to get pings for whatever it is they are after, no matter Which organiser it is making the thread at the time.

And you're also removing the possibility to use mass pings like we have been doing? I can only see less activity on the site due to people not being able to ping specific things from existing lists.

I wish there was an option to make pinglists shareable with others so they also can ping the entire list, And options inside the list so users can choose which parts of the list they want to be part of.
tAsGQ8V.png
[quote name="Kaepora" date="2023-10-26 09:56:41" ] [quote name="Goldia" date="2023-10-26 09:41:14" ] Quick note: the widget isn't aligning to the centre even though I've wrapped it in the approriate code: [...] Can this be amended to work? [/quote] Good catch @/Goldia! That was a mistake and should now be fixed. [/quote] Bless! I was hoping that this would be an update as it makes formatting look nicer.
Kaepora wrote on 2023-10-26 09:56:41:
Goldia wrote on 2023-10-26 09:41:14:
Quick note: the widget isn't aligning to the centre even though I've wrapped it in the approriate code:

[...]

Can this be amended to work?

Good catch @/Goldia! That was a mistake and should now be fixed.

Bless! I was hoping that this would be an update as it makes formatting look nicer.
87fTGkN.png ___ Regxlia | She/Her/Hers | FR+2
» Free Cauldron
» Wishlist
» Adopts
Some really cool things presented, thanks for all the hard work!
Some really cool things presented, thanks for all the hard work!
may I offer you a
79138757.png
in these trying times
The pinglist thing is cool, but I feel like it'll be a problem when you wanna use pinglists made by other people

Example: In a thread were people breed and adopt out dragons of a certain lineage. There is a main pinglist for you to notify people that you have descenants up for adoption. This list is used by many people in the thread, with this system it seems to not be possible to do that

This would be fine if the method of pinglists that is used today would still be possible, but now that the mass ping thing was made impossible...seems like it creates another problem (having to make multiple post to do mass pings)
The pinglist thing is cool, but I feel like it'll be a problem when you wanna use pinglists made by other people

Example: In a thread were people breed and adopt out dragons of a certain lineage. There is a main pinglist for you to notify people that you have descenants up for adoption. This list is used by many people in the thread, with this system it seems to not be possible to do that

This would be fine if the method of pinglists that is used today would still be possible, but now that the mass ping thing was made impossible...seems like it creates another problem (having to make multiple post to do mass pings)
GJ4HbdE.gif
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 73 74