Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How do you name permas?
1 2 3 4
either they get a random somewhat-obscure real word name, or i find the most unfitting real person name for a dragon possible and stick it on there. i have an imperial named tom and i think it's the best thing ever.

i also name my gaolers after the ars goetia. it was going to be a whole thing (tm), but i started to write more lore elsewhere and just never bothered to fill out the rest

(also obligatory disclaimer about fandragons being named... whatever they're named in canon. that too)
either they get a random somewhat-obscure real word name, or i find the most unfitting real person name for a dragon possible and stick it on there. i have an imperial named tom and i think it's the best thing ever.

i also name my gaolers after the ars goetia. it was going to be a whole thing (tm), but i started to write more lore elsewhere and just never bothered to fill out the rest

(also obligatory disclaimer about fandragons being named... whatever they're named in canon. that too)
8aKVtucC_o.png
I like to pull names from books/history/whatever, but I'll often go for inspirations that specifically don't match whatever the dragon I'm creating is. Just to be contrary, I guess?
I like to pull names from books/history/whatever, but I'll often go for inspirations that specifically don't match whatever the dragon I'm creating is. Just to be contrary, I guess?
ZincAlloy.gif
I either just use the name generator until I find something that I like, or sometimes if its a perma I feel more attachment to i'll pull up wikipedia and look through articles relevant to their aesthetic for a name I like
I either just use the name generator until I find something that I like, or sometimes if its a perma I feel more attachment to i'll pull up wikipedia and look through articles relevant to their aesthetic for a name I like
zorua.gif He/they/it/xe ani_bw-S_487-origin.gif
I kinda go Warrior Cats style (Flowercload, Soardive) but. I also got permas from other places, so they get to keep their names (Sonoran, Redara).
And recently I'm just kinda...doing whatever fits the vibe. (Jelly, Denim). So. It depends.
I kinda go Warrior Cats style (Flowercload, Soardive) but. I also got permas from other places, so they get to keep their names (Sonoran, Redara).
And recently I'm just kinda...doing whatever fits the vibe. (Jelly, Denim). So. It depends.
my only income source is bonding w/ familiars 👍 i have no idea what ill do after i finish w/ that

pfp dragon!
im collecting familiars :)

89 days to bond with a familiar. feels like more

wishlist!
It's not necessarily the dragon i give the name to but the name i give the dragon to like Pathion or Crumble who id only had a names for, and got a dragon for them down the line. I get most of my dragons by creating a bit of lore that i need a name for, and now i need a dragon for it bc theyre important
Or the general vibe of a pretty dragon i have. like rhynchocephalian for one of my aberrs, or Hunter, Brass, and Silversun who i had named for their original colors, now changed but I've done special care to get a dragon that matches the vibe of their names.
It's not necessarily the dragon i give the name to but the name i give the dragon to like Pathion or Crumble who id only had a names for, and got a dragon for them down the line. I get most of my dragons by creating a bit of lore that i need a name for, and now i need a dragon for it bc theyre important
Or the general vibe of a pretty dragon i have. like rhynchocephalian for one of my aberrs, or Hunter, Brass, and Silversun who i had named for their original colors, now changed but I've done special care to get a dragon that matches the vibe of their names.
a simple gif of a courier dragon flying facing to the right. It is a completely black silhouette with black particles around it One day I'm going to
hand you something and
it's going to be a bug.
It/Its Pronouns
Aro/Ace
Agender Man
FR Time +2
All of the above! I think about names for a while sometimes, sometimes I decide them on the spot, sometimes I'll do a minor amount of googling to name a dragon...depends on the dragon and the mood. aethers in particular are a special case bc I Love that they canonically have Unconventional names and I will lean all the way into that. my [current] icon here named Calciumadded since I had this vision of someone just picking up a carton of orange juice and deciding it was names

Generally speaking I also don't rename dragons if they come to me pre-named; there are exceptions but I kinda like the variance of naming styles it gives to my lair. Like you can tell a dragon is named by someone else in my lair bc they have names like Chakoss and Vendicci, and then dragons named by me b like Triplesec and Forceps
All of the above! I think about names for a while sometimes, sometimes I decide them on the spot, sometimes I'll do a minor amount of googling to name a dragon...depends on the dragon and the mood. aethers in particular are a special case bc I Love that they canonically have Unconventional names and I will lean all the way into that. my [current] icon here named Calciumadded since I had this vision of someone just picking up a carton of orange juice and deciding it was names

Generally speaking I also don't rename dragons if they come to me pre-named; there are exceptions but I kinda like the variance of naming styles it gives to my lair. Like you can tell a dragon is named by someone else in my lair bc they have names like Chakoss and Vendicci, and then dragons named by me b like Triplesec and Forceps
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
they're named based on what they remind me of mainly. things, songs, places, concepts, nothing is off-limits as long as I feel it suits them!

or they come with a name I already like and save me the trouble
they're named based on what they remind me of mainly. things, songs, places, concepts, nothing is off-limits as long as I feel it suits them!

or they come with a name I already like and save me the trouble
I just use whatever comes to mind first, tbh. Often its total nonsense, or maybe a reference.
I used to use the name generator when I was new so I do still have a couple oldie permas with generated names.
I just use whatever comes to mind first, tbh. Often its total nonsense, or maybe a reference.
I used to use the name generator when I was new so I do still have a couple oldie permas with generated names.
w9bDUNq.pngMUYNhfy.pngPgv53XB.png
9D8YYS1.png
I don't. If it was named, it gets to keep the original name, but if it wasn't, it stays unnamed.
I don't. If it was named, it gets to keep the original name, but if it wasn't, it stays unnamed.
Depends. These days with an overfull lair, I typically already have a name in mind when I buy a new perma. Though I broke it for my new ancient breeders, who I don't really consider permas, most of my lair is a fanlair and thus they are named after characters from a specific franchise.

When it comes to original characters, I just name them after their lore. Progen egg washes up on the beach and is stolen by an akirbeak? Adamaris. Two headed eldritch beast that eats the past and future? Anomaly. And so on.

Though I guess I do have one joke dragon. His colors remind me of a little matchbox car so suddenly he became the antagonist's mode of transportation.
Depends. These days with an overfull lair, I typically already have a name in mind when I buy a new perma. Though I broke it for my new ancient breeders, who I don't really consider permas, most of my lair is a fanlair and thus they are named after characters from a specific franchise.

When it comes to original characters, I just name them after their lore. Progen egg washes up on the beach and is stolen by an akirbeak? Adamaris. Two headed eldritch beast that eats the past and future? Anomaly. And so on.

Though I guess I do have one joke dragon. His colors remind me of a little matchbox car so suddenly he became the antagonist's mode of transportation.
Silver Pocketwatch Copper Pocketwatch
1 2 3 4