Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Closest animal to dragon irl
1 2 3 4 5
May I offer some sneks for consideration? Many lizards might be closer considering the body type, but this ones definitely have a dragon feel to them. (If I am not mistaken both of these snakes are tiny tho...) [img]https://www.reptilerange.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Dragon-Snake.png[/img] [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/67/d1/c2/67d1c2f27bfde107554fff5ab887b603.jpg[/img] Edit: uff, sorry for that giant picture
May I offer some sneks for consideration?

Many lizards might be closer considering the body type, but this ones definitely have a dragon feel to them.
(If I am not mistaken both of these snakes are tiny tho...)

Dragon-Snake.png

67d1c2f27bfde107554fff5ab887b603.jpg

Edit: uff, sorry for that giant picture
| Tuni || She/Her || Artshop |
QkARnRV.png
[quote name="BigB0yJENKINS" date="2023-08-05 14:02:09" ] The pangolin is a dragon. To me [/quote] @BigB0yJENKINS I was hoping someone would nominate a mammal! It really does look it, in that picture, with its body in that serpentine curve. [quote name="BigB0yJENKINS" date="2023-08-05 14:02:09" ] Also this is cheating because its literally in the name but the caterpillar of the common nawab is also called the dragon headed caterpillar for obvious reasons [/quote] AND an insect, how fun. And it would not be cheating, that just means other people think it looks like a dragon too. Wonder if this is mimicking anything in particular or just intimidation. [quote name="BigB0yJENKINS" date="2023-08-05 14:02:09" ] EDIT: When i originally made this post i was going to add hoatzins but then i didnt but i just looked at this post again and realized who made this thread. [/quote] Hah, I actually chose the username because I thought the hoatzin looked like a phoenix. I think the pheasant and the peacock do a better job overall (they've got long tails and more of that grace/elegance you expect from a phoenix). But hoatzins got the reptile vibe. [quote name="Apsple" date="2023-08-05 22:03:50" ] Although a very unique and joking answer, may I contribute the one and only Chicken-O-Saurus. The man made creation of a chicken and dinosaur. [/quote] @Apsple I've heard about this! (Seems a bit mixed results on how/whether the project is currently going) I think if feathered dinos had gone quadrupedal (like, walking on both their wings and legs) they'd make great dragons. [quote name="Tunfischhai" date="2023-08-06 02:44:21" ] May I offer some sneks for consideration? [/quote] @Tunfischhai Yes some sneks have a very dragon feel to them. The first one I think is due to the ridges on the back. And the snek's eye in the 2nd image - I feel like is the sort of eye that inspired the slit-pupil eyes a lot of dragons have. Probably helps that sneks are generally perceived as more threatening/scary than lizards
BigB0yJENKINS wrote on 2023-08-05 14:02:09:
The pangolin is a dragon. To me
@BigB0yJENKINS
I was hoping someone would nominate a mammal! It really does look it, in that picture, with its body in that serpentine curve.
Also this is cheating because its literally in the name but the caterpillar of the common nawab is also called the dragon headed caterpillar for obvious reasons
AND an insect, how fun. And it would not be cheating, that just means other people think it looks like a dragon too. Wonder if this is mimicking anything in particular or just intimidation.
EDIT: When i originally made this post i was going to add hoatzins but then i didnt but i just looked at this post again and realized who made this thread.
Hah, I actually chose the username because I thought the hoatzin looked like a phoenix. I think the pheasant and the peacock do a better job overall (they've got long tails and more of that grace/elegance you expect from a phoenix). But hoatzins got the reptile vibe.
Apsple wrote on 2023-08-05 22:03:50:
Although a very unique and joking answer, may I contribute the one and only Chicken-O-Saurus. The man made creation of a chicken and dinosaur.
@Apsple
I've heard about this! (Seems a bit mixed results on how/whether the project is currently going) I think if feathered dinos had gone quadrupedal (like, walking on both their wings and legs) they'd make great dragons.
Tunfischhai wrote on 2023-08-06 02:44:21:
May I offer some sneks for consideration?
@Tunfischhai
Yes some sneks have a very dragon feel to them. The first one I think is due to the ridges on the back. And the snek's eye in the 2nd image - I feel like is the sort of eye that inspired the slit-pupil eyes a lot of dragons have. Probably helps that sneks are generally perceived as more threatening/scary than lizards
Don't remember what it was called but there was a species of snake that could "fly" when the wind blew hard enough.
Don't remember what it was called but there was a species of snake that could "fly" when the wind blew hard enough.
Clara the Blaziken, She/Her, 2+ Fr time, Professional Idiot :))))
I offer you Egyptian uromastyx and crested newts: [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/b42bd926896f173d22c0c3bf0d23d19e/tumblr_okmcs60dd21tgo4sbo1_1280.jpg[/img] [img]https://inaturalist-open-data.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/185269047/medium.jpg[/img]
I offer you Egyptian uromastyx and crested newts:

tumblr_okmcs60dd21tgo4sbo1_1280.jpg

medium.jpg
25762.png frame-0-delay-0-1s-1.png
[quote name="Saccharine" date="2023-08-05 09:10:37" ] Sailfin lizards. [img]https://www.science.org/do/10.1126/article.23569/abs/sn-sailfin.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.pierrewildlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Hydrosaurus-celebensis.jpg[/img] Most pictures of them don’t even look real, I encourage you to Google them if you aren’t already familiar. [/quote] That thing looks like a kaiju! (This is very good)
Saccharine wrote on 2023-08-05 09:10:37:
Sailfin lizards.

sn-sailfin.jpg
Hydrosaurus-celebensis.jpg

Most pictures of them don’t even look real, I encourage you to Google them if you aren’t already familiar.

That thing looks like a kaiju! (This is very good)
7eb73ea7ba19f787490a57822f0ee4885760d03e.png
[quote name="Apsple" date="2023-08-05 22:03:50" ] Although a very unique and joking answer, may I contribute the one and only Chicken-O-Saurus. The man made creation of a chicken and dinosaur. [/quote] Honestly, I think chickens are distant relatives of wildclaws XD
Apsple wrote on 2023-08-05 22:03:50:
Although a very unique and joking answer, may I contribute the one and only Chicken-O-Saurus. The man made creation of a chicken and dinosaur.

Honestly, I think chickens are distant relatives of wildclaws XD
Duanwu will shamelessly eat your likes. Art by celaine.
Some day, there will be art here.
Wishlist | Lore [WIP] | Gallery | Archive
G1 sales thread here.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Harvest RaffleKeikoKat's Raffe
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Frilled shark

Dragon fish

Rhino iguana

Rhino viper

Dragon moray

Glaucus

Spectral bat
Frilled shark

Dragon fish

Rhino iguana

Rhino viper

Dragon moray

Glaucus

Spectral bat
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
Give & get space tertiary game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
[img]https://gray-wmtv-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com/resizer/uAmICa74tolAOFv5zCV1S4Xs7tM=/1920x1080/smart/filters:quality(85)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gray/HGT67WO4MVNLRABEQ3AOQQNLEQ.jpg[/img] snapping turtle, the mythical beast tarasque is described as a dragon with a spiked turtle shell but also uh... bowser i guess. if we're taking from french folklore though then lou carcolh would mean snails can be dragons, though that depends on if you're taking serpent to mean analogous to a dragon or just a snake. i love that a dragon can be genuinely anything, the bar is so low that it doesn't have to be a lizard to be a dragon either.
HGT67WO4MVNLRABEQ3AOQQNLEQ.jpg
snapping turtle, the mythical beast tarasque is described as a dragon with a spiked turtle shell but also uh... bowser i guess. if we're taking from french folklore though then lou carcolh would mean snails can be dragons, though that depends on if you're taking serpent to mean analogous to a dragon or just a snake.

i love that a dragon can be genuinely anything, the bar is so low that it doesn't have to be a lizard to be a dragon either.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
[quote name="ClaratheBlaziken" date="2023-08-06 07:36:24" ] Don't remember what it was called but there was a species of snake that could "fly" when the wind blew hard enough. [/quote] @ClaratheBlaziken A few people have mentioned they'd make good Wind festival familiars this cycle. The below species (paradise flying snake) is very pretty. [img]https://inaturalist-open-data.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/5941332/medium.jpeg[/img] [size=2]Photo: tommyswift @ iNaturalist[/size] [quote name="monkfishlover" date="2023-08-07 18:57:52" ] Frilled shark Dragon fish Rhino iguana Rhino viper Dragon moray Glaucus Spectral bat [/quote] @monkfishlover Heck, I haven't heard of most of those. The bat's head shape is something else. [quote name="bulrush" date="2023-08-07 21:11:22" ] snapping turtle, the mythical beast tarasque is described as a dragon with a spiked turtle shell but also uh... bowser i guess. if we're taking from french folklore though then lou carcolh would mean snails can be dragons, though that depends on if you're taking serpent to mean analogous to a dragon or just a snake. [/quote] @bulrush Have seen the tarasque but never heard of the lou carcolh before! That's pretty awesome. I'd say any serpent with horns/similar ornamentation on its head immediately becomes 200% more dragon.
ClaratheBlaziken wrote on 2023-08-06 07:36:24:
@ClaratheBlaziken
A few people have mentioned they'd make good Wind festival familiars this cycle. The below species (paradise flying snake) is very pretty.
medium.jpeg
Photo: tommyswift @ iNaturalist
monkfishlover wrote on 2023-08-07 18:57:52:
Frilled shark

Dragon fish

Rhino iguana

Rhino viper

Dragon moray

Glaucus

Spectral bat
@monkfishlover
Heck, I haven't heard of most of those. The bat's head shape is something else.
bulrush wrote on 2023-08-07 21:11:22:
snapping turtle, the mythical beast tarasque is described as a dragon with a spiked turtle shell but also uh... bowser i guess. if we're taking from french folklore though then lou carcolh would mean snails can be dragons, though that depends on if you're taking serpent to mean analogous to a dragon or just a snake.
@bulrush
Have seen the tarasque but never heard of the lou carcolh before! That's pretty awesome. I'd say any serpent with horns/similar ornamentation on its head immediately becomes 200% more dragon.
How could this not be a little wyvern? [img]https://images.dinosaurpictures.org/rhamphorhynchus_edit_cec3.jpg[/img] The big ones are the most impressive, but these small pterosaurs even have the teeth and tail.
How could this not be a little wyvern?
rhamphorhynchus_edit_cec3.jpg
The big ones are the most impressive, but these small pterosaurs even have the teeth and tail.
ll0CfnD.png
mlHpBMC.png
FObX7rS.png
awUnQ0L.png
TdTJOrw.png
3M48cU6.png
:
:
:
:
:
: