Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | FR what's up w the chickens
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="Natron" date="2023-06-12 11:56:05" ] I swear, if the names end up being changed, I am going to audibly and visually explode. I will have to edit hundreds of saved scry templates and my apparel list of 500 dragons... Anyway, I understand these points and the concern, I wholeheartedly agree that it would have been super visually nice and interesting if all of the chickens were completely unique and fully accurate, or if the chicken names were vaguer - but remember that FR has a simplified style. The Beagle dog isn't fully precise facially either, and neither is the Mainecoon as they've been drawn much slimmer with a pointier, slimmer head and less fluff. The Staff gave us an enormous amount of apparel that I frankly didn't even expect. It's a bunch of super versatile clothes, equipment and companions you can put on your dragons to further complete their whole look. Some chickens are essentially still better than no chickens, but that's not the point here. The point is that Staff not only were trying to adjust two different chicken breeds to the same lineart to maximise the output while saving artists some time, they also had to adjust the colours of the chickens to cover a wider variety of colours. Yes, the blue Orpington isn't actually fully blue, but they wanted a blue chicken to match with blue dragons and their apparel, which are some of the most common perma dragon colours. The white Cochin isn't boney white but more like blueish white to add more variety alongside the slightly warmer and darker coloured silver Pekin. And lastly - not every chicken will look exactly the same as the other chicken of the same breed! There are clear facial and body type differences in dogs, cats, rodents, birds, etc within the same species and breed or even family. My two Guinea pigs have distinctly different faces despite the fact that they are sisters. If you look these up on Google, you can find a fitting match for the silly little guys who lost a lot of detail anyway when they were resized. [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e9/1a/d4/e91ad49837c37f9bd7af536d189069f1.jpg[/img] [b][i]A[/i][/b] blue Orpington [img]https://www.zoo-leipzig.de/fileadmin/_processed_/6/8/csm_Zwergwelsumer_1_1f9a2f4bea.jpg[/img] [b][i]A[/i][/b] Welsummer (zwerg meaning dwarf) [img]https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/buff-brahma-chicken-excessive-multi-colored-plumage-covers-leg-foot-meat-breed-united-states-gallus-134842163.jpg[/img] [b][i]A[/i][/b] Brahma [img]https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/images/global/mc/McMurrayHatchery-WhiteLangshan.jpg[/img] [b][i]A[/i][/b] white Cochin rooster [img]https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/images/global/mc/McMurrayHatchery-Golden-Sebright-Bantam-Rooster.jpg[/img] [b][i]A[/i][/b] golden Sebright bantam The emphasis on "a" is intentional. They aren't THE ideal "specimens" of the breed, they are just some guys. Again, I get it, I too would have loved if they were a bit more precisely represented, especially the Sebright bantam because they're missing the sharp and dark laced feathers, but hey, it's small art. When I have to make accents for such a tiny finished product, a lot of the detail gets lost and it looks weird within the FR style if I keep it super realistic and detailed. FR has a style, that's the thing here. [/quote] Breed specific traits are still breed specific traits for a reason. Just because one individual doesn’t have them doesn’t make them NOT standard, common, KEY traits of the breed XD Like the LEAST they could have done was give the Cochin and Pekin foot feathers because it’s one of the most identifiable features of the breed. We’d all be annoyed if the dogs were wrong, is my point, but god forbid someone’s a bit frustrated with the chickens that are part of an ANNIVERSARY event??? Also 500 dragons all wearing chickens? Over a hundred scry templates? It’s been FOUR DAYS since the achievements went live?? Are you ok?
Natron wrote on 2023-06-12 11:56:05:
I swear, if the names end up being changed, I am going to audibly and visually explode. I will have to edit hundreds of saved scry templates and my apparel list of 500 dragons...

Anyway, I understand these points and the concern, I wholeheartedly agree that it would have been super visually nice and interesting if all of the chickens were completely unique and fully accurate, or if the chicken names were vaguer - but remember that FR has a simplified style. The Beagle dog isn't fully precise facially either, and neither is the Mainecoon as they've been drawn much slimmer with a pointier, slimmer head and less fluff.

The Staff gave us an enormous amount of apparel that I frankly didn't even expect. It's a bunch of super versatile clothes, equipment and companions you can put on your dragons to further complete their whole look. Some chickens are essentially still better than no chickens, but that's not the point here. The point is that Staff not only were trying to adjust two different chicken breeds to the same lineart to maximise the output while saving artists some time, they also had to adjust the colours of the chickens to cover a wider variety of colours. Yes, the blue Orpington isn't actually fully blue, but they wanted a blue chicken to match with blue dragons and their apparel, which are some of the most common perma dragon colours. The white Cochin isn't boney white but more like blueish white to add more variety alongside the slightly warmer and darker coloured silver Pekin.

And lastly - not every chicken will look exactly the same as the other chicken of the same breed! There are clear facial and body type differences in dogs, cats, rodents, birds, etc within the same species and breed or even family. My two Guinea pigs have distinctly different faces despite the fact that they are sisters. If you look these up on Google, you can find a fitting match for the silly little guys who lost a lot of detail anyway when they were resized.

e91ad49837c37f9bd7af536d189069f1.jpg
A blue Orpington

csm_Zwergwelsumer_1_1f9a2f4bea.jpg
A Welsummer (zwerg meaning dwarf)

buff-brahma-chicken-excessive-multi-colored-plumage-covers-leg-foot-meat-breed-united-states-gallus-134842163.jpg
A Brahma

McMurrayHatchery-WhiteLangshan.jpg
A white Cochin rooster

McMurrayHatchery-Golden-Sebright-Bantam-Rooster.jpg
A golden Sebright bantam

The emphasis on "a" is intentional. They aren't THE ideal "specimens" of the breed, they are just some guys. Again, I get it, I too would have loved if they were a bit more precisely represented, especially the Sebright bantam because they're missing the sharp and dark laced feathers, but hey, it's small art. When I have to make accents for such a tiny finished product, a lot of the detail gets lost and it looks weird within the FR style if I keep it super realistic and detailed. FR has a style, that's the thing here.

Breed specific traits are still breed specific traits for a reason. Just because one individual doesn’t have them doesn’t make them NOT standard, common, KEY traits of the breed XD Like the LEAST they could have done was give the Cochin and Pekin foot feathers because it’s one of the most identifiable features of the breed. We’d all be annoyed if the dogs were wrong, is my point, but god forbid someone’s a bit frustrated with the chickens that are part of an ANNIVERSARY event???

Also 500 dragons all wearing chickens? Over a hundred scry templates? It’s been FOUR DAYS since the achievements went live?? Are you ok?

Things have been renamed plenty of times before, the mod/development team is fantastic about that. The renaming of the Wendigo familiar specifically is one that stands out in my mind as a great example of a responsive, engaged mod team. Also the response to the negative feedback on Glowtail when it first came out. You act like no one has ever had some issues with the development of the game before and you also act like the admin team has NEVER listened to players and shouldn’t be expected to?? When they very much HAVE.
Things have been renamed plenty of times before, the mod/development team is fantastic about that. The renaming of the Wendigo familiar specifically is one that stands out in my mind as a great example of a responsive, engaged mod team. Also the response to the negative feedback on Glowtail when it first came out. You act like no one has ever had some issues with the development of the game before and you also act like the admin team has NEVER listened to players and shouldn’t be expected to?? When they very much HAVE.
@LadyoftheGeneral

Clearly if other people took your comments out of context, then that is their problem. If OP is thinking about deleting the thread because of it, then that is very unfortunate. Tone is extremely hard to tell over text, so even if you are simply stating a fact, it may come off as argumentative. As you said, you are assuming things, but of course you are allowed to do that. In my opinion, bringing up the fact that dogs are also consumed seems unneeded here. I don't disagree that people consider some animals above others, but trying to reason with someone by saying that the animals they consider pets are eaten as well does not come off as a clarifying reason. I understand that you meant every animal is consumed and none of them are above others, but most people won't think of it that way. Of course, you don't have to even think about my opinion. You can completely ignore this message.

I'm just stating that you are wasting time here arguing with people who either do not see your point or do not agree with you. And if those people are taking what you are saying out of context, then that is even more reason to stop responding on this thread. It is unfortunate when a discussion ever turns out this way, but that is the nature of being online.
@LadyoftheGeneral

Clearly if other people took your comments out of context, then that is their problem. If OP is thinking about deleting the thread because of it, then that is very unfortunate. Tone is extremely hard to tell over text, so even if you are simply stating a fact, it may come off as argumentative. As you said, you are assuming things, but of course you are allowed to do that. In my opinion, bringing up the fact that dogs are also consumed seems unneeded here. I don't disagree that people consider some animals above others, but trying to reason with someone by saying that the animals they consider pets are eaten as well does not come off as a clarifying reason. I understand that you meant every animal is consumed and none of them are above others, but most people won't think of it that way. Of course, you don't have to even think about my opinion. You can completely ignore this message.

I'm just stating that you are wasting time here arguing with people who either do not see your point or do not agree with you. And if those people are taking what you are saying out of context, then that is even more reason to stop responding on this thread. It is unfortunate when a discussion ever turns out this way, but that is the nature of being online.
earthshieldr.pngQhY7AgE.png
[quote name="Anarthyan" date="2023-06-12 14:04:28" ] @LadyoftheGeneral Clearly if other people took your comments out of context, then that is their problem. If OP is thinking about deleting the thread because of it, then that is very unfortunate. Tone is extremely hard to tell over text, so even if you are simply stating a fact, it may come off as argumentative. As you said, you are assuming things, but of course you are allowed to do that. In my opinion, bringing up the fact that dogs are also consumed seems unneeded here. I don't disagree that people consider some animals above others, but trying to reason with someone by saying that the animals they consider pets are eaten as well does not come off as a clarifying reason. I understand that you meant every animal is consumed and none of them are above others, but most people won't think of it that way. Of course, you don't have to even think about my opinion. You can completely ignore this message. I'm just stating that you are wasting time here arguing with people who either do not see your point or do not agree with you. And if those people are taking what you are saying out of context, then that is even more reason to stop responding on this thread. It is unfortunate when a discussion ever turns out this way, but that is the nature of being online. [/quote] A very good point. I brought that up because people (especially in the US and Europe) usually hold dogs and cats as higher because they aren’t food animals. And given the way some of the rhetoric was sounding, I brought that up to try and add gravitas to my point that chickens aren’t lesser animals just because we eat them. I get why it seems out of place. But absolutely agree, them taking it out of context is a them problem. Thank you for commenting, you made good points!
Anarthyan wrote on 2023-06-12 14:04:28:
@LadyoftheGeneral

A very good point. I brought that up because people (especially in the US and Europe) usually hold dogs and cats as higher because they aren’t food animals. And given the way some of the rhetoric was sounding, I brought that up to try and add gravitas to my point that chickens aren’t lesser animals just because we eat them. I get why it seems out of place.

But absolutely agree, them taking it out of context is a them problem. Thank you for commenting, you made good points!
@ladyofthegeneral JAKLJDSLKJ sorry, I stumbled upon this accidentally because I was looking for a comment of a mutual but this caught me off guard and made me chuckle. I know it looks hilarious but the part about 500 dragons is not about them all wearing chickens, but it is a very lengthy list and it's just going to be expanding as I obtain more chickens. I really like them [emoji=imperial sad size=1] If I could, I'd put chickens on all of them Anyway, yes, I fully agree with your point, it's definitely a shame that they didn't make them fully accurate. I am just here to share information as both sides have some great points and I'm somewhat familiar with the art process, but all I'm worried about is having to change the text or, the much worse scenario, having to edit all of those dragon images I've saved... and I've already been losing my mind re-editing my dragons with chickens /wheeze
@ladyofthegeneral JAKLJDSLKJ sorry, I stumbled upon this accidentally because I was looking for a comment of a mutual but this caught me off guard and made me chuckle. I know it looks hilarious but the part about 500 dragons is not about them all wearing chickens, but it is a very lengthy list and it's just going to be expanding as I obtain more chickens. I really like them If I could, I'd put chickens on all of them

Anyway, yes, I fully agree with your point, it's definitely a shame that they didn't make them fully accurate. I am just here to share information as both sides have some great points and I'm somewhat familiar with the art process, but all I'm worried about is having to change the text or, the much worse scenario, having to edit all of those dragon images I've saved... and I've already been losing my mind re-editing my dragons with chickens /wheeze
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
[quote name="Delibird" date="2023-06-12 10:11:29" ] things are getting heated in the chicken fandom [/quote] im just glad we got chickens at all
Delibird wrote on 2023-06-12 10:11:29:
things are getting heated in the chicken fandom
im just glad we got chickens at all
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]
2zEU4.gif

You matter.
i follow every thread i make
(+1 fr time)
5INS7.gif
fellas these are 150 pixel chickens
fellas these are 150 pixel chickens
21059.png Lemmy or Baku, but feel free to make up new nicknames for me.

Any pronouns | Japanese
Ping me when replying, I love to chat with people.
-- kMi3VrI.png
just checking something
just checking something
cVPo4yi.png
tumblr_inline_ojq6l11ndI1r2ao8y_540.pngeRwbrSc.pnggYW0j5f.pngKw2A1Ig.pngtumblr_inline_ou7qgsczGB1r2ao8y_540.png
i watch this thread in awe but know deep down in my soul that i would start crying if flight rising released goldfish apparel and did the same thing with the breeds. godspeed my chicken warriors
i watch this thread in awe but know deep down in my soul that i would start crying if flight rising released goldfish apparel and did the same thing with the breeds. godspeed my chicken warriors
a screenshot of a youtube comment dated ten years ago from Povilas Šorys. the comment says, 'why he has to squeak and mewl while singing? I hate radiohead'
godspeed chicken warriors. i agree entirely
godspeed chicken warriors. i agree entirely
shork_mascot_shrunk.png qjPdVei.png
AaYNmEX.png
mlHpBMC.png
q5M254J.png
FObX7rS.png
5hF3FGk.png
Earth-Network.png
1 2 3 4 5