Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | X
1 2
Sorry, folks. Discussion of service-related concerns is against TOU.
Sorry, folks. Discussion of service-related concerns is against TOU.
They're working on it. It's not something as straightforward as one might think. Being on the internet in general is a safety risk. Adblockers exist. I got a Trojan from Neopets once that bricked my then-computer way back in the day.

All of this being said, I don't believe FRD is the place for feedback such as this.
They're working on it. It's not something as straightforward as one might think. Being on the internet in general is a safety risk. Adblockers exist. I got a Trojan from Neopets once that bricked my then-computer way back in the day.

All of this being said, I don't believe FRD is the place for feedback such as this.
1f7Wab5.png x F5AeglI.png x x
x
x
< - avatar
x

ahzidal (captain)
they / them
about
@ILeft
There's an ad reporting thread here
@ILeft
There's an ad reporting thread here
dvAAau9.pnglight.gif
It was an experiment that has already ended.
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/bug/3236043/12#post_54204097

Presumably FR was not expecting the low quality of the ads, or they wouldn't have done it, given it only adds work for them to go back through and get specific ads blocked.

The burden falls on users to report ads because staff have no way of seeing what's going to pop up before users do, and thousands of users can check much more effectively than busy staff members.
It was an experiment that has already ended.
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/bug/3236043/12#post_54204097

Presumably FR was not expecting the low quality of the ads, or they wouldn't have done it, given it only adds work for them to go back through and get specific ads blocked.

The burden falls on users to report ads because staff have no way of seeing what's going to pop up before users do, and thousands of users can check much more effectively than busy staff members.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
Odd, I'm not seeing any that I'd say are directly phishing or malware. Might it be something going on with your computer that's showing those ads to show up?

Most of what I'm seeing is for webcomics and a few inexpensive, unreliable, but largely harmless online retailers.

Oh and cars and fashion, but those are hardly worth mentioning.
Odd, I'm not seeing any that I'd say are directly phishing or malware. Might it be something going on with your computer that's showing those ads to show up?

Most of what I'm seeing is for webcomics and a few inexpensive, unreliable, but largely harmless online retailers.

Oh and cars and fashion, but those are hardly worth mentioning.
You're not wrong. Literally every single time I've tried whitelisting FR on my adblocker, maybe half a dozen times over the past decade before I gave up trying, I've gotten a virus within five pageloads. Never doing that again.
You're not wrong. Literally every single time I've tried whitelisting FR on my adblocker, maybe half a dozen times over the past decade before I gave up trying, I've gotten a virus within five pageloads. Never doing that again.
ZSHaQMJ.gif
vDmNeIH.png
Let's be completely honest: not even Google has quality control on their ads; they rely on user reports to flag and remove inappropriate or malicious ads. We also don't know the process that the ad service has for submitting ads.

Cybersecurity will always be the responsibility of both the staff and users, regardless of the website. The site staff is responsible for ensuring they don't do business with problematic services, and to end business with any that become problematic. From what I remember seeing the devs say, they are working on this. It is the users responsibility to protect themselves from anything that slipped through the site's efforts. As a webhost, you should know that the internet is an arms race.

FR also likely won't like to move to being a subscription service because the site is aimed at a younger crowd. Parents don't often like to pay subscriptions for sites like this, so FR would lose money.
Let's be completely honest: not even Google has quality control on their ads; they rely on user reports to flag and remove inappropriate or malicious ads. We also don't know the process that the ad service has for submitting ads.

Cybersecurity will always be the responsibility of both the staff and users, regardless of the website. The site staff is responsible for ensuring they don't do business with problematic services, and to end business with any that become problematic. From what I remember seeing the devs say, they are working on this. It is the users responsibility to protect themselves from anything that slipped through the site's efforts. As a webhost, you should know that the internet is an arms race.

FR also likely won't like to move to being a subscription service because the site is aimed at a younger crowd. Parents don't often like to pay subscriptions for sites like this, so FR would lose money.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
teardrop_owlynx.png
1 2 3 4
Zarteicha
FR +3 [] She / They

tqGkHih.png
SEIqIGe.png
jI9KbMj.png
[quote name="Nequam" date="2023-05-19 15:18:16" ] You're not wrong. Literally every single time I've tried whitelisting FR on my adblocker, maybe half a dozen times over the past decade before I gave up trying, I've gotten a virus within five pageloads. Never doing that again. [/quote] Wait what? Is that possible, to get viruses just from having ads on the side of your screen? I’m not tech savvy at all, but I don’t have an ad blocker and I think I’m fine? I mean most of the ads I see are webcomics, cars, vacation resorts, clothes, jewelry, and stuff like that…
Nequam wrote on 2023-05-19 15:18:16:
Wait what? Is that possible, to get viruses just from having ads on the side of your screen? I’m not tech savvy at all, but I don’t have an ad blocker and I think I’m fine? I mean most of the ads I see are webcomics, cars, vacation resorts, clothes, jewelry, and stuff like that…
A sideways aromantic flag next to the word ‘aromantic’A sideways asexual flag next to the word ‘asexual’A sideways agender flag next to the words ‘they/them’
divider
hi there, i have no clue what im doing
please ping me in all replies!
Fandragons | Wishlist
So what you're saying is they should a) stop developing the site so they can watch for every single possible bad ad (every site gets bad ads btw, there is literally no way they can keep adding stuff to the site and go ad hunting to 'prevent' them from showing up) that could show up, and b) remove the most convenient place to report bad ads that may be caught by players anyways?

FR isn't this huge company with hundreds of thousands of people working ot it, and the site they run is rather server hungry if you don't have the money to just buy a million servers. They can't afford to not have ads. Not everyone can suport the site, so even having a pay to remove ads option wouldn't solve the problem you're talking about. Heck, I'd love to pay for ad removal myself to get rid of them while supporting the site, but I don't have the money to.
So what you're saying is they should a) stop developing the site so they can watch for every single possible bad ad (every site gets bad ads btw, there is literally no way they can keep adding stuff to the site and go ad hunting to 'prevent' them from showing up) that could show up, and b) remove the most convenient place to report bad ads that may be caught by players anyways?

FR isn't this huge company with hundreds of thousands of people working ot it, and the site they run is rather server hungry if you don't have the money to just buy a million servers. They can't afford to not have ads. Not everyone can suport the site, so even having a pay to remove ads option wouldn't solve the problem you're talking about. Heck, I'd love to pay for ad removal myself to get rid of them while supporting the site, but I don't have the money to.
PiAyg8i.png

A small flight banner, halve being fire and halve being wind.

Silver_Square.png
^ Fandragon ^
what phishing/malware ads are people seeing? i use adblocker everywhere on the web so i'm unfamiliar with this being a problem on fr. i saw some inappropriate ads when they did that temporary partnership but it looks like they went back to their original partner.

edit: for the record making this site pay to use would literally kill it. a lot of users are either minors or can't afford/don't want to have to pay for another subscription service. ads are a reality of the web
what phishing/malware ads are people seeing? i use adblocker everywhere on the web so i'm unfamiliar with this being a problem on fr. i saw some inappropriate ads when they did that temporary partnership but it looks like they went back to their original partner.

edit: for the record making this site pay to use would literally kill it. a lot of users are either minors or can't afford/don't want to have to pay for another subscription service. ads are a reality of the web
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
1 2