Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why are lair expansion prices so high?
1 2 3
I'm new to Flight Rising - and I love being here! I have become obsessed with the Coatl breeds <3 Only thing is, I feel like I am constantly fighting for lair space. I'm now at over 400kt for just five slots, and that's kind of crazy to me! It took me over a week to get the coins for the last lair expansion :(

Why does the price of lair expansions get so high, yet the number of slots stays the same? :(

Signed,
Person who buys too many Coatls
I'm new to Flight Rising - and I love being here! I have become obsessed with the Coatl breeds <3 Only thing is, I feel like I am constantly fighting for lair space. I'm now at over 400kt for just five slots, and that's kind of crazy to me! It took me over a week to get the coins for the last lair expansion :(

Why does the price of lair expansions get so high, yet the number of slots stays the same? :(

Signed,
Person who buys too many Coatls
Yeah the prices get real steep real quick, haha. I like to think of expansions as long term goals though so I am unbothered by em
Yeah the prices get real steep real quick, haha. I like to think of expansions as long term goals though so I am unbothered by em
@Decres

That is a good way of looking at it, but it feels terrible when compared to the immediate gratification of dragon purchases. I mean, they are CHEAP and abundant! And you can breed dragons on top of that. I've seen people with lairs that have like 200 slots and I'm like HOW.
@Decres

That is a good way of looking at it, but it feels terrible when compared to the immediate gratification of dragon purchases. I mean, they are CHEAP and abundant! And you can breed dragons on top of that. I've seen people with lairs that have like 200 slots and I'm like HOW.
How are your hibernal den tasks looking? Sometimes is cheaper to do the tasks. Sometimes not so much
How are your hibernal den tasks looking? Sometimes is cheaper to do the tasks. Sometimes not so much
the more space you have, the more room to make money. Fairgrounds is 75kT a day, so that already gets you a good chunk of the way there in a week. add on flipping, sales, and exalting and they end up paying for themselves pretty quickly. it also does require some amount of server resources to keep track of active dragons, plus the bigger treasure sinks help the economy and prevent the gem:treasure ratio from getting out of control too fast, so the higher expansion costs do help the site even if they aren't so helpful for your immediate wallet. [emoji=ridgeback laughing size=1] also yeah, HibDen tasks are a great cheap alternative if you just want storage space. 10/10 recommend.
the more space you have, the more room to make money. Fairgrounds is 75kT a day, so that already gets you a good chunk of the way there in a week. add on flipping, sales, and exalting and they end up paying for themselves pretty quickly.

it also does require some amount of server resources to keep track of active dragons, plus the bigger treasure sinks help the economy and prevent the gem:treasure ratio from getting out of control too fast, so the higher expansion costs do help the site even if they aren't so helpful for your immediate wallet.

also yeah, HibDen tasks are a great cheap alternative if you just want storage space. 10/10 recommend.
yellow flag icon linking to After's Lair Directory
After
They/them

< Lair Directory
Sig Spotlight >
Coliseum banner showing After's avatar dragon, a steel blue and black Spiral.Coliseum banner showing a black and red Coatl.
Coliseum banner showing a Wildclaw with flames and a soot-covered face.Coliseum banner showing a black and beige Skydancer.
Definitely +1 on the hib den, i put majority of my dragons there. Any dragons that don’t breed or fight chill there

You can find plenty of hib den gifting threads too!
Definitely +1 on the hib den, i put majority of my dragons there. Any dragons that don’t breed or fight chill there

You can find plenty of hib den gifting threads too!
..……………………...……..….YSCAP90.png
Suffer more :) Tn4TEAZ.png
It's been that way since the beginning, it was originally a way to keep dragon populations down and in hopes of keeping certain breeds and genes rare by forcing people to end up exalting their dragons.
At least this is how it was originally back when FR first started (i'm an old player who recently came back) It never really worked though i think, and i have always agreed, in a game that is about breeding dragons the lair prices are nuts.
It's been that way since the beginning, it was originally a way to keep dragon populations down and in hopes of keeping certain breeds and genes rare by forcing people to end up exalting their dragons.
At least this is how it was originally back when FR first started (i'm an old player who recently came back) It never really worked though i think, and i have always agreed, in a game that is about breeding dragons the lair prices are nuts.
windflight_zpsd8c8bf0c.png
I haven't bought a lair expansion since I hit 100 slots since it costs me almost a million to do so now. At that point I rather just invest in the dragons I already have.

That kind of discouragement can actually end up turning around and being a bit of a blessing though? It makes me much more careful about who I let in my lair and I feel much more attached to the dragons I do own as a result.

Limited slots also encourage interacting with the exalt system, which pretty much exists as it is to take some of the strain of So Many Dragons existing off the site. When you consider that the Users Online counter comfortably sits in the several thousands on most days, it's probably better for performance if every single one of those lairs didn't have 500+ dragons packed in to them.
I haven't bought a lair expansion since I hit 100 slots since it costs me almost a million to do so now. At that point I rather just invest in the dragons I already have.

That kind of discouragement can actually end up turning around and being a bit of a blessing though? It makes me much more careful about who I let in my lair and I feel much more attached to the dragons I do own as a result.

Limited slots also encourage interacting with the exalt system, which pretty much exists as it is to take some of the strain of So Many Dragons existing off the site. When you consider that the Users Online counter comfortably sits in the several thousands on most days, it's probably better for performance if every single one of those lairs didn't have 500+ dragons packed in to them.
Sharpened Serthis Spear
I am the patron saint of having bad taste
(insert joke about heated water towers here)
I'd definately recommend the hib den, I have 464 dragons and only 50 main lair slots
I'd definately recommend the hib den, I have 464 dragons and only 50 main lair slots

she/her | fr+3.|.skins

.................................………….....
GCDcYEq.png
They're a very necessary treasure sink.
They're a very necessary treasure sink.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
1 2 3