Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | I Don't Like the Beastclan Retcon & Why
1 2 3 4
Me walking into this thread [img]https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/030/710/dd0.png[/img] I don't like the retcon much either, but more because now I need to worry about how it changes my lore more so than I [i]needed[/i] an in-lore resolution over a retcon. I would have liked one, but I don't feel super strongly about it. I'm hoping, like some people pointed out, there's still conflict within the world between BeastClans and dragons, it's just not a huge world-war takeover anymore. Just gonna have to wait and see. [u]And before anyone says it, yes I know I can make my lore whatever I want and I can keep following the old canon. But no, I'm not going to do that. I like following the site's lore as closely as I can, I find it satisfying.[/u] Hence why I'm anxiously sitting back waiting for more lore reveals lol
Me walking into this thread
dd0.png

I don't like the retcon much either, but more because now I need to worry about how it changes my lore more so than I needed an in-lore resolution over a retcon. I would have liked one, but I don't feel super strongly about it. I'm hoping, like some people pointed out, there's still conflict within the world between BeastClans and dragons, it's just not a huge world-war takeover anymore. Just gonna have to wait and see.

And before anyone says it, yes I know I can make my lore whatever I want and I can keep following the old canon. But no, I'm not going to do that. I like following the site's lore as closely as I can, I find it satisfying. Hence why I'm anxiously sitting back waiting for more lore reveals lol
mlHpBMC.png
9hqcHsy.png
ZxAR91S.png
HkZAJYc.png
watervs1.pngHbzShnh.pngmbWgKmD.pngwatershieldr.png
I think you’re internalising the message into a human sense.

While the dragons are human-like, they’re not meant to be a direct correlation. Most animal-focused stories i’ve read want to steer as clear from human relation as possible, unless they’re trying to convey an important message to a young audience or give an upbeat message (such as land before time and it’s anti-racism message and pro teamwork).

It was very uncomfortable and not handled well since there was just no updates on the story for a long time. Which while i understand the long pauses between story being due to it being low priority, this really isn’t a story you can let linger unfinished. It just gets more uncomfortable with each day it’s left behind

It’s a topic that should be left to people who are educated in it and willing to write about it. Since it can very, very easily be mishandled.

For all we know, the dev’s solution to it could of been even worse! Not that you can’t feel sad about it, but just try to recognise that the dragons don’t = human. I have the same issue of internalising things and making up stories so I emphasise with your feelings, even if i don’t see it the same way here

But if that’s not what you’re doing here then i’m sorry for misinterpreting
I think you’re internalising the message into a human sense.

While the dragons are human-like, they’re not meant to be a direct correlation. Most animal-focused stories i’ve read want to steer as clear from human relation as possible, unless they’re trying to convey an important message to a young audience or give an upbeat message (such as land before time and it’s anti-racism message and pro teamwork).

It was very uncomfortable and not handled well since there was just no updates on the story for a long time. Which while i understand the long pauses between story being due to it being low priority, this really isn’t a story you can let linger unfinished. It just gets more uncomfortable with each day it’s left behind

It’s a topic that should be left to people who are educated in it and willing to write about it. Since it can very, very easily be mishandled.

For all we know, the dev’s solution to it could of been even worse! Not that you can’t feel sad about it, but just try to recognise that the dragons don’t = human. I have the same issue of internalising things and making up stories so I emphasise with your feelings, even if i don’t see it the same way here

But if that’s not what you’re doing here then i’m sorry for misinterpreting
..……………………...……..….YSCAP90.png
Suffer more :) Tn4TEAZ.png
@Hippotang SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME @ THE IMG LIKE GOD ME also thank u for using the vincian flag, based **

also thank you for being Normal about the retcon and reasons for not liking the retcon unlike whatever the hell op is upset about (we know what it is)
@Hippotang SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME @ THE IMG LIKE GOD ME also thank u for using the vincian flag, based **

also thank you for being Normal about the retcon and reasons for not liking the retcon unlike whatever the hell op is upset about (we know what it is)
"Hystory wrihten by winers" you know this phrase?
Rewhriting lore looks actually like rewriting history. Something existing in RL and something even worst then actions itselfe that this rewriting trying cover from other nations and future ggenerations.
Rewhriting lore looks actually like rewriting history. Something existing in RL and something even worst then actions itselfe that this rewriting trying cover from other nations and future ggenerations.

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
[quote name="Alkhor" date="2023-01-13 05:53:23" ] "Hystory wrihten by winers" you know this phrase? Rewhriting lore looks actually like rewriting history. Something existing in RL and something even worst then actions itselfe that this rewriting trying cover from other nations and future ggenerations. [/quote] Except rewriting lore isn't like rewriting history because this a browser based pet sim and nothing of historical value was lost at all by the site owners deciding to show sensitivity and retcon their fantasy dragon world. Even trying to conflate the two is a pretty big stretch.
Alkhor wrote on 2023-01-13 05:53:23:
Except rewriting lore isn't like rewriting history because this a browser based pet sim and nothing of historical value was lost at all by the site owners deciding to show sensitivity and retcon their fantasy dragon world.
Even trying to conflate the two is a pretty big stretch.
mothsmall.png7jZclF3.gifdaintysmallup-2.png
Personally I like the retcon. I hope they keep making better lore than dragon colonization. The old lore had rancid vibes even if it wasn't intended, and I want to see what other, more interesting conflicts they could set up with this new lore.
Personally I like the retcon. I hope they keep making better lore than dragon colonization. The old lore had rancid vibes even if it wasn't intended, and I want to see what other, more interesting conflicts they could set up with this new lore.
899b13958bd8dd6201cfc8808fbe7689b2ce2e3d.png
FbBE7dN.png
bYt72YT.png
y2UYCzJ.png
a69iToJ.png
mlHpBMC.png
Ap2AjBP.gif
o090-d01-Sinornis.pngo090-d02-Sinornis.pngo090-d03-Sinornis.pngo090-d04-Sinornis.pngo090-d05-Sinornis.png
Thank you to everyone who linked back to our previous statements on this update.

When we understood what exactly it was we released in Beastclans on the Rise!, we realized two things. One was that we've placed players in this position and left you there for almost a decade. The other? That the only lore way out of this was to write what would essentially be a 'feel-good' redemption arc for the genocidal aggressors. We'd have to write a story that would effectively force the Beastclans conquered by the dragons—whose cultures they destroyed in order to take what they wanted—to work with them "for the greater good" and no, we are not going to do that.

Our noting as a team how the systems and society we grew up in influenced Beastclans on the Rise! is a simple statement of fact. Is it uncomfortable? Of course it is! Reflecting on privilege, on how historical and systemic injustice influence us and benefit us in our current lives is always uncomfortable. But it's also a necessary discomfort and step, one that allows us to look at our work critically, to grow, and to do better.

This thread is now locked, and any feedback regarding this lore update should be sent to us through Contact Us.
Thank you to everyone who linked back to our previous statements on this update.

When we understood what exactly it was we released in Beastclans on the Rise!, we realized two things. One was that we've placed players in this position and left you there for almost a decade. The other? That the only lore way out of this was to write what would essentially be a 'feel-good' redemption arc for the genocidal aggressors. We'd have to write a story that would effectively force the Beastclans conquered by the dragons—whose cultures they destroyed in order to take what they wanted—to work with them "for the greater good" and no, we are not going to do that.

Our noting as a team how the systems and society we grew up in influenced Beastclans on the Rise! is a simple statement of fact. Is it uncomfortable? Of course it is! Reflecting on privilege, on how historical and systemic injustice influence us and benefit us in our current lives is always uncomfortable. But it's also a necessary discomfort and step, one that allows us to look at our work critically, to grow, and to do better.

This thread is now locked, and any feedback regarding this lore update should be sent to us through Contact Us.
1 2 3 4