Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Sad video game moments
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 13
Every single ending in Cyberpunk 2077.

They range from bittersweet to downright depressing depending on your choices, but none of the endings are true happy endings, and there is always ugly crying involved.
Every single ending in Cyberpunk 2077.

They range from bittersweet to downright depressing depending on your choices, but none of the endings are true happy endings, and there is always ugly crying involved.
Hoarding:
Wildwood Owlet 9 hours ahead of FR Sakura Owlet
The end of Stray

You spend the whole game bonding with B-12, learning their history, and finding out more about the world they lived in. I saw the ending coming, but it was so visceral watching them help you help the whole world, even while knowing that doing so will kill them. They do it because they care about the inhabitants of the world, there's no ulterior motive. And then when they died, it felt like a part of me died too. The way the cat lies with them after they die is heart wrenching
The end of Stray

You spend the whole game bonding with B-12, learning their history, and finding out more about the world they lived in. I saw the ending coming, but it was so visceral watching them help you help the whole world, even while knowing that doing so will kill them. They do it because they care about the inhabitants of the world, there's no ulterior motive. And then when they died, it felt like a part of me died too. The way the cat lies with them after they die is heart wrenching
ePOliyb.pngAaYNmEX.pngll0CfnD.pngR1dejfm.pngloimysO.pngFObX7rS.png
I can't elaborate much on it given the nature of the game, but all I gotta say is play Outer Wilds. I'll try to spoiler this in as vague terms as possible.

Outer Wilds Vague Spoilers The whole lead up to that final run, and then just. All of the ending, oh my goodness. I haven't cried that hard with a game in a long while - especially in a positive way. This game is so meaningful. It's one of those games where going in blind is the best experience (and only one imo) you can get - it's no wonder it won so many awards.

Also as an aside, adding to the FFXV pile. I'm still so sad the DLCs never got to be made - what they had in Dawn of the Future was the ending which I would've hoped for, but as it is I just.. Can't bring myself to play through it again, it's just so sad.

And one more for FFXIV, there's a reason I've been playing it since 2015, lol. Endwalker was very well written, and the final stretch was gutwrenching - there were so many points where I had to take a step back and process what was happening, haha.
I can't elaborate much on it given the nature of the game, but all I gotta say is play Outer Wilds. I'll try to spoiler this in as vague terms as possible.

Outer Wilds Vague Spoilers The whole lead up to that final run, and then just. All of the ending, oh my goodness. I haven't cried that hard with a game in a long while - especially in a positive way. This game is so meaningful. It's one of those games where going in blind is the best experience (and only one imo) you can get - it's no wonder it won so many awards.

Also as an aside, adding to the FFXV pile. I'm still so sad the DLCs never got to be made - what they had in Dawn of the Future was the ending which I would've hoped for, but as it is I just.. Can't bring myself to play through it again, it's just so sad.

And one more for FFXIV, there's a reason I've been playing it since 2015, lol. Endwalker was very well written, and the final stretch was gutwrenching - there were so many points where I had to take a step back and process what was happening, haha.
pfbfv im super emotional so every game ive played has made me cry at one point but ough man Arthur in rdr2 in general, like please this man deserved so much love and also dom in gears of war

i also had alot of feels for the multiple endings in cyberpunk 2077, and jackie, like i was SO hoping he would have been your buddy the whole way...

i can only think of these ones at the moment haha
pfbfv im super emotional so every game ive played has made me cry at one point but ough man Arthur in rdr2 in general, like please this man deserved so much love and also dom in gears of war

i also had alot of feels for the multiple endings in cyberpunk 2077, and jackie, like i was SO hoping he would have been your buddy the whole way...

i can only think of these ones at the moment haha
52193338.png
Oooohh you wanna buy this cool xyx g1 with 3 gorgeous art pieces so bad
7ff07c4170df01f646062c2f876fb41a5c0ccf56.png
The Grey Crow & Steadhone the Gravedigger bosses in Death's Door. At least Steadhone got what he had been wishing for in the end
The Grey Crow & Steadhone the Gravedigger bosses in Death's Door. At least Steadhone got what he had been wishing for in the end
Oneshot

So throughout the game you’re leading this little catlike creature through the world to return the sun (a lightbulb) and save this world. Niko will speak to you throughout the game, asking about yourself, telling you about their own world.

Throughout the whole game your lead to believe that if you save this world, Niko will return home, however the author reveals that’s not the case. If you want to Save Niko then you have to break the Lightbulb and doom the world to die, but if you save the world then Niko will be trapped in a dying world away from their family. And they just stare at you with big trusting eyes asking you what the best decision is.

Then there’s the solstice run where you get to watch the characters you love die painful deaths
Oneshot

So throughout the game you’re leading this little catlike creature through the world to return the sun (a lightbulb) and save this world. Niko will speak to you throughout the game, asking about yourself, telling you about their own world.

Throughout the whole game your lead to believe that if you save this world, Niko will return home, however the author reveals that’s not the case. If you want to Save Niko then you have to break the Lightbulb and doom the world to die, but if you save the world then Niko will be trapped in a dying world away from their family. And they just stare at you with big trusting eyes asking you what the best decision is.

Then there’s the solstice run where you get to watch the characters you love die painful deaths
NBeoOgB.png
the end of shadow of the colossus wrecked me.
the end of shadow of the colossus wrecked me.
OFDnJ2q.jpeg
Nothing has made me cry really but theres some stuff thats rough The Mass effect trilogy, you spend the first two games getting attached to people and then the third game has bad stuff :tm: for everyone and because you are attached to the characters by now you relate to their feelings and its sad. Borderlands 2 - [spoiler]bloodwings death. You can play with them in the first game, and a chunk of bl2 story is about how you're going to save her. You go through a couple missions and fight her and when she finally is calm again and you think you can free her the bad guys blow her up in front of you.[/spoiler] Drawn to life the next chapter (ds version specifically) - you know its gonna be dark when THEY LITERALLY STOPPED MAKING IT AND CHANGED THE ENDING IN OTHER VERSIONS. [spoiler] There is a lot of moments in this game that messed child me up. One of your best friends in the game betrays you and it is done so well literally nobody sees it coming, someone gives up their life for someone else, the end (big spoilers) you find out the main villain has a point and realize you were the bad guy yourself. (even bigger spoilers) and THEN the whole game is a kids coma DREAM which they got into from a car crash where their parents presumably died (which is usually something poorly done but they pull it off really well here) and like its just wild tbh. [/spoiler] Darkest Dungeon - The world is just, so screwed but things are worse and now it makes me sad for the characters. If you know the game you might scratch your head at this unless you really get it. I originally brushed off the story because it can be played where you still have fun without the story and it can be a little hard to understand all of it, but now that I get it it's insane too. It's kinda the whole story here but you need it to see why its unfortunate. [spoiler] The game plays like a pokemon nuzlocke in the sense of turn based perma death. So pretty much the whole plot is your ancestor who rules a town gets really into dark magic and tries to dig up a dungeon to the heart of the world in search of more knowledge for the ancient magic he's using. To pay for the exhibition he ends up wronging a bunch of people who are the bosses in the game, or using his power and testing things and like linking gods to reanimated corpses and other eldritch horrors which are also bosses. Anyway. He eventually digs up the darkest dungeon where they find a cult protecting the god that will destroy the world (might I add they are all like fleshy horrors malformed by the god and definitely no longer people, pretty much the worst horrors mind can imagine type creatures) and everyone who was working on digging it up dies and the ancestor runs and cant live with the horrors he's seen there so before he unalives himself he writes a letter begging you to fix the wrongs he's done. We don't care about the ancestor because he's a bad guy so moving on. The player is the heir to the ancestor who hires the cast of characters you play the game with, you go around killing the bosses and get really attached to the characters you hire and are more so gameplay wise just trying to care for all of them and keep them alive. Eventually you send teams to the darkest dungeon to take on the source of all the evil and fight the god who your ancestor turns out to be protecting, you are forced to sacrifice characters because the god one shots them no matter what (permanently dead might I remind you and you are attached to them by this point) regardless you win the fight and slay the god and the player is likely thinking "we had to sacrifice people to do it but the world is saved and thats what they wouldve wanted" but the heir can hear the ancestor telling them the victory was pointless and that you didnt destroy the god but just delayed it and it was only a matter of time before the god destroys everything, the ancestor was helping it because he thought it was inevitable. When the player goes back to the town, the game visually changes and just like the ancestor, they start seeing horrors everywhere, the faces of the helpful npcs flicker into ones of monsters, the buildings are covered in flesh, and all sorts of crazy things and the heir can hear the ancestor in their mind saying now we can see "the truth of the world". The game technically ends at that point but its a timeloop, when you start a new game you realize a ghost you see in the beginning of the game is the heir who couldnt live with seeing the horrors after, and now there is another letter sent out that someone is answering too; presumably someone begging to end the cycle again. While that is the whole overarching plot with the heir and ancestor, again, you get really attached to the people the heir hires, you learn about who they are and their personalities and all these little things, but know they are doomed to the world forever and that their sacrifices mean nothing. And many of them are there to redeem themselves for past mistakes, or to right the world and make it a better place, to become heroes, among other reasons. They try to do good things and none of it will ever matter.[/spoiler] This is just a small thing but on top of that, all the characters you hire in darkest dungeon have their own lore too. The logic of one character just destroys me, and other people too, so literally to quote someone elses words: The fact that Baldwin/The Leper [spoiler] (who was a king but got ill so he gave up the throne and is now hirable for the player) could have abdicated but still given himself a nice pension, a little house on the countryside and lived the rest of his life in comfort, probably receiving 312423 flowers and pies every day from his loving past subjects. But no. He takes NOTHING. Then goes off to the worst corners of the world, to fight the most horrific beings mind can conceive of. He doesn’t even get his damn sword fixed before he goes. That f***s me up. [/spoiler] I have a fandragon of him too because god I respect that so hard. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/80947196][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/809472/80947196.png[/img][/url][/center]
Nothing has made me cry really but theres some stuff thats rough

The Mass effect trilogy, you spend the first two games getting attached to people and then the third game has bad stuff :tm: for everyone and because you are attached to the characters by now you relate to their feelings and its sad.

Borderlands 2 - bloodwings death. You can play with them in the first game, and a chunk of bl2 story is about how you're going to save her. You go through a couple missions and fight her and when she finally is calm again and you think you can free her the bad guys blow her up in front of you.

Drawn to life the next chapter (ds version specifically) - you know its gonna be dark when THEY LITERALLY STOPPED MAKING IT AND CHANGED THE ENDING IN OTHER VERSIONS.
There is a lot of moments in this game that messed child me up. One of your best friends in the game betrays you and it is done so well literally nobody sees it coming, someone gives up their life for someone else, the end (big spoilers) you find out the main villain has a point and realize you were the bad guy yourself. (even bigger spoilers) and THEN the whole game is a kids coma DREAM which they got into from a car crash where their parents presumably died (which is usually something poorly done but they pull it off really well here) and like its just wild tbh.

Darkest Dungeon - The world is just, so screwed but things are worse and now it makes me sad for the characters. If you know the game you might scratch your head at this unless you really get it. I originally brushed off the story because it can be played where you still have fun without the story and it can be a little hard to understand all of it, but now that I get it it's insane too. It's kinda the whole story here but you need it to see why its unfortunate. The game plays like a pokemon nuzlocke in the sense of turn based perma death. So pretty much the whole plot is your ancestor who rules a town gets really into dark magic and tries to dig up a dungeon to the heart of the world in search of more knowledge for the ancient magic he's using. To pay for the exhibition he ends up wronging a bunch of people who are the bosses in the game, or using his power and testing things and like linking gods to reanimated corpses and other eldritch horrors which are also bosses. Anyway. He eventually digs up the darkest dungeon where they find a cult protecting the god that will destroy the world (might I add they are all like fleshy horrors malformed by the god and definitely no longer people, pretty much the worst horrors mind can imagine type creatures) and everyone who was working on digging it up dies and the ancestor runs and cant live with the horrors he's seen there so before he unalives himself he writes a letter begging you to fix the wrongs he's done. We don't care about the ancestor because he's a bad guy so moving on. The player is the heir to the ancestor who hires the cast of characters you play the game with, you go around killing the bosses and get really attached to the characters you hire and are more so gameplay wise just trying to care for all of them and keep them alive. Eventually you send teams to the darkest dungeon to take on the source of all the evil and fight the god who your ancestor turns out to be protecting, you are forced to sacrifice characters because the god one shots them no matter what (permanently dead might I remind you and you are attached to them by this point) regardless you win the fight and slay the god and the player is likely thinking "we had to sacrifice people to do it but the world is saved and thats what they wouldve wanted" but the heir can hear the ancestor telling them the victory was pointless and that you didnt destroy the god but just delayed it and it was only a matter of time before the god destroys everything, the ancestor was helping it because he thought it was inevitable. When the player goes back to the town, the game visually changes and just like the ancestor, they start seeing horrors everywhere, the faces of the helpful npcs flicker into ones of monsters, the buildings are covered in flesh, and all sorts of crazy things and the heir can hear the ancestor in their mind saying now we can see "the truth of the world". The game technically ends at that point but its a timeloop, when you start a new game you realize a ghost you see in the beginning of the game is the heir who couldnt live with seeing the horrors after, and now there is another letter sent out that someone is answering too; presumably someone begging to end the cycle again. While that is the whole overarching plot with the heir and ancestor, again, you get really attached to the people the heir hires, you learn about who they are and their personalities and all these little things, but know they are doomed to the world forever and that their sacrifices mean nothing. And many of them are there to redeem themselves for past mistakes, or to right the world and make it a better place, to become heroes, among other reasons. They try to do good things and none of it will ever matter.

This is just a small thing but on top of that, all the characters you hire in darkest dungeon have their own lore too. The logic of one character just destroys me, and other people too, so literally to quote someone elses words: The fact that Baldwin/The Leper (who was a king but got ill so he gave up the throne and is now hirable for the player) could have abdicated but still given himself a nice pension, a little house on the countryside and lived the rest of his life in comfort, probably receiving 312423 flowers and pies every day from his loving past subjects. But no. He takes NOTHING. Then goes off to the worst corners of the world, to fight the most horrific beings mind can conceive of. He doesn’t even get his damn sword fixed before he goes. That f***s me up.

I have a fandragon of him too because god I respect that so hard.
80947196.png
ezgif.com-resize_3.gif ezgif.com-resize_4.gif ezgif.com-gif-maker_16.gif
Genshin Impact has made me cry on at least three occasions. Namely, the cutscene in the Perilous Trail quest where we see the yakshas, and the end of the Tsurumi Island quest, where we finally put Ruu and Kapatcir to rest. The one that made me sob like a baby, though, was the last Sumeru archon quest. Rukkhadevata saying goodbye to her people as Nahida erased her, with That Soundtrack in the background, and Nahida waking up crying without knowing why... yeah I'm getting choked up just thinking about it ;_;
Genshin Impact has made me cry on at least three occasions. Namely, the cutscene in the Perilous Trail quest where we see the yakshas, and the end of the Tsurumi Island quest, where we finally put Ruu and Kapatcir to rest. The one that made me sob like a baby, though, was the last Sumeru archon quest. Rukkhadevata saying goodbye to her people as Nahida erased her, with That Soundtrack in the background, and Nahida waking up crying without knowing why... yeah I'm getting choked up just thinking about it ;_;
tumblr_o23mwcXPEZ1u3wsjco6_250.png 4f4c01ec3fcd06d45834f28097a7fb2be50dc3cf.png dEo6ta2.png
nbZE1po.png
5iXiC8z.png
V7wUqxW.png
bYt72YT.png
jbMLSIO.png

nGKuPIQ.gif
The ending of Shadow of the Colossus...
The ending of Shadow of the Colossus...
Avatar dragon: https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/93955351
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 13