Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | An Apology for Beastclans on the Rise
1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 65 66
Really excited for this new direction! Having richer views of the varied cultures in Sornieth rather than the limited scope of "vaguely described enemy species" sounds like a lot more fun of a space to play in.
Really excited for this new direction! Having richer views of the varied cultures in Sornieth rather than the limited scope of "vaguely described enemy species" sounds like a lot more fun of a space to play in.
This is something I hadn't given much thought to, but it's looking like this is going to be a very exciting new direction for the Beastclans. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here!

Personally, I never did get around to writing much lore for my clan, but one idea I had involved an Eye of Talona moving to Clan Twinstar's base so as to spy on them. Maybe going forward, she can work a bit more closely with the clan, and maybe even start working towards some sort of alliance? Something to think about, perhaps.
This is something I hadn't given much thought to, but it's looking like this is going to be a very exciting new direction for the Beastclans. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here!

Personally, I never did get around to writing much lore for my clan, but one idea I had involved an Eye of Talona moving to Clan Twinstar's base so as to spy on them. Maybe going forward, she can work a bit more closely with the clan, and maybe even start working towards some sort of alliance? Something to think about, perhaps.
xpP2XdL.png
I love the new Harpy lore and can't wait to read the rest of the lore revamp as they come! Also, the new famis and scene are so pretty.
I love the new Harpy lore and can't wait to read the rest of the lore revamp as they come! Also, the new famis and scene are so pretty.
Love the new half-birdies (or buddies?) <3
Also hyped for the new direction - can't wait to see more lores for beastclans :D
Love the new half-birdies (or buddies?) <3
Also hyped for the new direction - can't wait to see more lores for beastclans :D
WHERE HER DREAMS END >
Unite we stand, divide we fall
| WD/WHDE | ~Plague~ | Any Pronounce | FRT+17(GMT+9) |

| ART SHOP | ACCENT SHOP | HATCHERY | feel free to ping!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
8c05f7199b7e3138b1bd09794101984bae36928e.png
I was ... okay real mad for half a minute there, I legit kind of liked the implications of colonialism and thought they were an intentional choice to make the players consider the experience of one's existence being reliant on something terrible your ancestors/creators did, and that some of your peers and probably the people in command are still propagating that horrible thing. And the fact that it's very possible for people to be doing something messed up and not realise it until you actually see who it's hurting. (Is this a white person take? Yeah probably) But I guess if it wasn't actually an intentional case of giving us an unpleasant truth we have to deal with then it's probably a good thing to remove it.

I mean, I always saw it as colonialism. Because that's what it obviously was. The gods aren't nice beings (they only stopped fighting each other because they had to to fight the Shade) and they created dragons at least partially as a projection of their power. As far as I can tell, the existence of the beastclans in Sornieth is (/was in the original lore) irrelevant to the gods, and if they’re in the way they're getting murdered.

And, okay I get that other people don't have my active enjoyment of messed up stories (and some people have reasons to find them upsetting), but the specific thing that made me me not still mad is only that the new lore's structure implies there's still space for different beastclans in different places to still be in conflict with dragons independently. Hopefully also each other? Look I'm just here for the conflict, and the more complex the morality around that conflict is, the better.

Edit:
the first sentence of my above post is noted to be clumsily written. I do not think colonialism is a good thing. I was just looking at it from a story (or lesson, as Aequorin says a bit further down) perspective.

I also have to admit I pretty much only skimmed the new Harpy lore post before I posted. I actually really like the amount of detail they've gone into and hope they put that much effort into the dragon cultural lore as well? (I mean maybe you could say that limits our ability to say what we want about our dragons, but since the dragons are people, they can still differ from the official lore however they want.)
I was ... okay real mad for half a minute there, I legit kind of liked the implications of colonialism and thought they were an intentional choice to make the players consider the experience of one's existence being reliant on something terrible your ancestors/creators did, and that some of your peers and probably the people in command are still propagating that horrible thing. And the fact that it's very possible for people to be doing something messed up and not realise it until you actually see who it's hurting. (Is this a white person take? Yeah probably) But I guess if it wasn't actually an intentional case of giving us an unpleasant truth we have to deal with then it's probably a good thing to remove it.

I mean, I always saw it as colonialism. Because that's what it obviously was. The gods aren't nice beings (they only stopped fighting each other because they had to to fight the Shade) and they created dragons at least partially as a projection of their power. As far as I can tell, the existence of the beastclans in Sornieth is (/was in the original lore) irrelevant to the gods, and if they’re in the way they're getting murdered.

And, okay I get that other people don't have my active enjoyment of messed up stories (and some people have reasons to find them upsetting), but the specific thing that made me me not still mad is only that the new lore's structure implies there's still space for different beastclans in different places to still be in conflict with dragons independently. Hopefully also each other? Look I'm just here for the conflict, and the more complex the morality around that conflict is, the better.

Edit:
the first sentence of my above post is noted to be clumsily written. I do not think colonialism is a good thing. I was just looking at it from a story (or lesson, as Aequorin says a bit further down) perspective.

I also have to admit I pretty much only skimmed the new Harpy lore post before I posted. I actually really like the amount of detail they've gone into and hope they put that much effort into the dragon cultural lore as well? (I mean maybe you could say that limits our ability to say what we want about our dragons, but since the dragons are people, they can still differ from the official lore however they want.)
Professional Grump

I live for memes
[quote name="ChaiTurtle" date="2022-12-14 15:31:06" ] Apologies if someone has mentioned this already but mods might also wanna look into making sure Tomo's trivia is updated while they're revamping the lore. I just got "Baku claim this territory as their own, and fight to defend it" as one of her prompts which seems like it would now be out of place. [/quote] @ChaiTurtle, Baku aren't Beastclans. They're just animals claiming their territory.
ChaiTurtle wrote on 2022-12-14 15:31:06:
Apologies if someone has mentioned this already but mods might also wanna look into making sure Tomo's trivia is updated while they're revamping the lore. I just got "Baku claim this territory as their own, and fight to defend it" as one of her prompts which seems like it would now be out of place.

@ChaiTurtle, Baku aren't Beastclans. They're just animals claiming their territory.
I've always wondered about this, glad to see the changes!
I've always wondered about this, glad to see the changes!
qHJnhMJ.pngviU0KTO.png
I cannot say enough how commendable it is that you folks not only publicly addressed this issue, but also decided to leave the original Beastclans on the Rise page up for accountability.

That is a show of growth and responsibility that too few groups demonstrate these days.

Much kudos to you.
I cannot say enough how commendable it is that you folks not only publicly addressed this issue, but also decided to leave the original Beastclans on the Rise page up for accountability.

That is a show of growth and responsibility that too few groups demonstrate these days.

Much kudos to you.
Oh, wow! Admittedly did not know enough about the world lore to realize this has been an issue, I'm definitely one of those players that is here because "ooo pretty dragons" lol... Like, i knew the beastclans were sorta considered "enemies" for one reason or another but I didn't know much more than that... now that i know the details I can definitely see why it's had people upset, and grateful to see that it's being addressed responsibly and changed.

I do agree with the sentiment that it took too long for this to change, it's a heck of a timespan there, but I'm glad it eventually did happen. Thank you to those community members that were on top of this issue! You're the real MVPs here. :)
Oh, wow! Admittedly did not know enough about the world lore to realize this has been an issue, I'm definitely one of those players that is here because "ooo pretty dragons" lol... Like, i knew the beastclans were sorta considered "enemies" for one reason or another but I didn't know much more than that... now that i know the details I can definitely see why it's had people upset, and grateful to see that it's being addressed responsibly and changed.

I do agree with the sentiment that it took too long for this to change, it's a heck of a timespan there, but I'm glad it eventually did happen. Thank you to those community members that were on top of this issue! You're the real MVPs here. :)
ln1aKC2.gif
[quote name="ChaiTurtle" date="2022-12-14 15:31:06" ] Apologies if someone has mentioned this already but mods might also wanna look into making sure Tomo's trivia is updated while they're revamping the lore. I just got "Baku claim this territory as their own, and fight to defend it" as one of her prompts which seems like it would now be out of place. [/quote] some of the beasts are just animals/creatures/things, some of them are sentient
ChaiTurtle wrote on 2022-12-14 15:31:06:
Apologies if someone has mentioned this already but mods might also wanna look into making sure Tomo's trivia is updated while they're revamping the lore. I just got "Baku claim this territory as their own, and fight to defend it" as one of her prompts which seems like it would now be out of place.

some of the beasts are just animals/creatures/things, some of them are sentient
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 65 66