Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | An Apology for Beastclans on the Rise
1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 65 66
(snip)

This is resolved.

@hungryhobbits, you know @ArgenteaMoon went on to clarify why after that sentence, specifically that they thought we were trying to teach a lesson. Don't do that.
(snip)

This is resolved.

@hungryhobbits, you know @ArgenteaMoon went on to clarify why after that sentence, specifically that they thought we were trying to teach a lesson. Don't do that.
harpies go brrr!
harpies go brrr!
dT9HQge.png
H0t7Ypl.png
bYt72YT.png
oaolHwW.png
5hF3FGk.png
OQwOmsS.png
[quote name="Aequorin" date="2022-12-14 16:02:28" ] [quote name="ChaiTurtle" date="2022-12-14 15:31:06" ] Apologies if someone has mentioned this already but mods might also wanna look into making sure Tomo's trivia is updated while they're revamping the lore. I just got "Baku claim this territory as their own, and fight to defend it" as one of her prompts which seems like it would now be out of place. [/quote] @/ChaiTurtle, Baku aren't Beastclans. They're just animals claiming their territory. [/quote] there's two similar questions that do mention beastclans, but they don't mention 'defending their territory' the way the baku question does - [quote]Luna Mith patrol this territory, providing a challenge for new warriors[/quote] [quote]Tengu haunt this territory, and ambush unwary travelers[/quote] speaking of, since the beastclan maps were on the now-hidden old beastclan lore pages, it might be a good idea to change this question since the answer isn't as easily found anymore? [quote]Q: Which Beastclans inhabit the Southern Icefield? A: Centaurs and Longnecks.[/quote] anyways i really like these changes! the art on the lore page is especially lovely, and i'm really excited to see the other new lore release
Aequorin wrote on 2022-12-14 16:02:28:
ChaiTurtle wrote on 2022-12-14 15:31:06:
Apologies if someone has mentioned this already but mods might also wanna look into making sure Tomo's trivia is updated while they're revamping the lore. I just got "Baku claim this territory as their own, and fight to defend it" as one of her prompts which seems like it would now be out of place.

@/ChaiTurtle, Baku aren't Beastclans. They're just animals claiming their territory.
there's two similar questions that do mention beastclans, but they don't mention 'defending their territory' the way the baku question does -
Quote:
Luna Mith patrol this territory, providing a challenge for new warriors
Quote:
Tengu haunt this territory, and ambush unwary travelers

speaking of, since the beastclan maps were on the now-hidden old beastclan lore pages, it might be a good idea to change this question since the answer isn't as easily found anymore?
Quote:
Q: Which Beastclans inhabit the Southern Icefield?
A: Centaurs and Longnecks.

anyways i really like these changes! the art on the lore page is especially lovely, and i'm really excited to see the other new lore release
bkxiiMw.png MlJMkHy.gif bkxiiMw.png bkxiiMw.png
hi! i'm meteor.
check out some of my projects? → or the coliseum bounty npc suggestion!

» the bestiary outfit project
» cross-flight outfit project
» 100x100 bio icons
» accent shop
i'm gonna echo what a lot of people are saying - i think a complete retcon does a disservice to the growth, change, and politics that come into play with a situation like this

obviously colonialism impacts a chunk of the playerbase, as there is no frontier on earth that has not been impacted negatively by it

BUT this is also a fantasy setting, with sentient talking cups of wine and worms that wear glasses, SO i feel like the topic should be approached differently

seeing that dragons were created from energy by the deities to claim land as forms of power grabs, now that the dragons have lived in sornieth and alongside the beastclans for a significantly long time - it would make sense that there are political shifts

instead of an all out retcon it would be better to establish that the dragon lairs and the beast clans are working together, some more enthusiastically or tentatively or reluctantly than others, some refusing to work together at all - representations of solid pacts of trust and camaraderie can be formed, using the undertides and their maren families as a grand example for what can be achieved, and areas that have shaky truces in place to keep beasts/dragons from killing each other, and places that are still just untreadable by beast or dragon because of past strife and grudges

retconning it deletes a lot of color and history from the world that i don't agree with

what i like is the acknowledgement that this is bad, but eliminating it entirely also does a disservice to the fact that a significant amount of FR's userbase are adults who can understand that this brand of colonialism is far different from real life
i'm gonna echo what a lot of people are saying - i think a complete retcon does a disservice to the growth, change, and politics that come into play with a situation like this

obviously colonialism impacts a chunk of the playerbase, as there is no frontier on earth that has not been impacted negatively by it

BUT this is also a fantasy setting, with sentient talking cups of wine and worms that wear glasses, SO i feel like the topic should be approached differently

seeing that dragons were created from energy by the deities to claim land as forms of power grabs, now that the dragons have lived in sornieth and alongside the beastclans for a significantly long time - it would make sense that there are political shifts

instead of an all out retcon it would be better to establish that the dragon lairs and the beast clans are working together, some more enthusiastically or tentatively or reluctantly than others, some refusing to work together at all - representations of solid pacts of trust and camaraderie can be formed, using the undertides and their maren families as a grand example for what can be achieved, and areas that have shaky truces in place to keep beasts/dragons from killing each other, and places that are still just untreadable by beast or dragon because of past strife and grudges

retconning it deletes a lot of color and history from the world that i don't agree with

what i like is the acknowledgement that this is bad, but eliminating it entirely also does a disservice to the fact that a significant amount of FR's userbase are adults who can understand that this brand of colonialism is far different from real life
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
Sigh!
Sigh!
Cool! I like stories that teach how Relationship with All Beings can be a valuable way to live.

As a story-telling species that tends to make reality from the stories we believe, thank you to devs for using your medium to share new stories that can lessen harm and foster healing. It is valuable.

Cool! I like stories that teach how Relationship with All Beings can be a valuable way to live.

As a story-telling species that tends to make reality from the stories we believe, thank you to devs for using your medium to share new stories that can lessen harm and foster healing. It is valuable.

[quote name="Aequorin" date="2022-12-14 16:02:28" ] [quote name="ChaiTurtle" date="2022-12-14 15:31:06" ] Apologies if someone has mentioned this already but mods might also wanna look into making sure Tomo's trivia is updated while they're revamping the lore. I just got "Baku claim this territory as their own, and fight to defend it" as one of her prompts which seems like it would now be out of place. [/quote] @ChaiTurtle, Baku aren't Beastclans. They're just animals claiming their territory. [/quote] Oop, my bad! Thanks for letting me know!
Aequorin wrote on 2022-12-14 16:02:28:
ChaiTurtle wrote on 2022-12-14 15:31:06:
Apologies if someone has mentioned this already but mods might also wanna look into making sure Tomo's trivia is updated while they're revamping the lore. I just got "Baku claim this territory as their own, and fight to defend it" as one of her prompts which seems like it would now be out of place.

@ChaiTurtle, Baku aren't Beastclans. They're just animals claiming their territory.

Oop, my bad! Thanks for letting me know!
[quote name="Aequorin" date="2022-12-14 16:06:37" ] [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-12-14 16:03:38" ] [quote name="ArgenteaMoon" date="2022-12-14 16:02:11" ] I was ... okay real mad for half a minute there, I legit kind of liked the implications of colonialism[/quote] bro [/quote] @hungryhobbits, you know @ArgenteaMoon went on to clarify why after that sentence, specifically that they thought we were trying to teach a lesson. Don't do that. [/quote] Uh I admit that taken out of context that's a [i]bad[/i] line wow. I definitely don't think colonialism is a good thing, I was just looking at is from a story perspective, and as @Aequorin (thanks Aequorin!) says, as a lesson. I'm not gonna change it, unless I can think of a way to say it that still feels right but is slightly less bad sounding ...
Aequorin wrote on 2022-12-14 16:06:37:
hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-12-14 16:03:38:
ArgenteaMoon wrote on 2022-12-14 16:02:11:
I was ... okay real mad for half a minute there, I legit kind of liked the implications of colonialism

bro

Uh I admit that taken out of context that's a bad line wow.

I definitely don't think colonialism is a good thing, I was just looking at is from a story perspective, and as @Aequorin (thanks Aequorin!) says, as a lesson. I'm not gonna change it, unless I can think of a way to say it that still feels right but is slightly less bad sounding ...
Professional Grump

I live for memes
OH wow! This is a really nuanced resolution. Glad to see it! And I adore the new harpies
OH wow! This is a really nuanced resolution. Glad to see it! And I adore the new harpies
2021-01-27-FR-trade-theodericc-2-w-apparel.png _aaaaa
My name is Derek! he/him

vz4ED9D.png
_aaaaa 2021-01-27-FR-trade-theodericc-w-apparel-flipped.png
I don't have anything to say that hundreds of players haven't already said-while Im not someone who can accept the apology it seems great and Im looking forward to how the lore changes. Ive never developed my clans lore but im seeing this as an opportunity to get more invested in it as it seems way more complex and interesting from a political\cultural standpoint especially seeing all the care Im sureyou guys are putting into the new lore
I don't have anything to say that hundreds of players haven't already said-while Im not someone who can accept the apology it seems great and Im looking forward to how the lore changes. Ive never developed my clans lore but im seeing this as an opportunity to get more invested in it as it seems way more complex and interesting from a political\cultural standpoint especially seeing all the care Im sureyou guys are putting into the new lore
hatch.png
1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 65 66