Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [OOC] Mythical Shifters [Closed for Now]
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 38 39
[quote name="SmilodonLady" date="2022-12-12 20:28:20" ] [s]Forestry/Natural Science major... So math ain't required aside from the basics or if you're into graphs. Technically a 'STEM' field if you only look at the S.[/s] [/quote] Oh, you're totally going to need mathematics then! (my condolences?) My Linear Algebra professor did some contract work in that field and it sounded like super interesting stuff, tracking habitat shifts and wildlife population sizes etc. You might even end up using some of linear yourself! (Systems of equations via matrices, the foundation for a lot of those graphs I'm sure!) I'm certain by the time you have to use the math you're learning right now it'll be retaught to you in a way that actually MATTERS to what you're doing specifically and will be waaaaay more fun to learn. For now... good luck? EDIT: You'd probably be way more at home at the school I'm at right now than I am honestly. We're a huge natural sciences school and a LOT of people go here for exactly what you're doing! There were four people in my Physics 3 class (one was/is a forestry/civil engineering double major!) and five people in my linear class... including me. I'm transferring next semester haha. They don't offer my intended major here... [quote name="StarR3N" date="2022-12-12 20:56:22" ] I think I lean toward liking math since I've had good teachers and there's channels like ViHart and Standup Maths which make me interested in them. I can understand general concepts and stuff and there's cool stuff in there, but like, it's not something I'd willingly do which is why I'm afraid of having to take calc and python next quarter for my cs minor since none of my major classes were frickin open >:C [/quote] Calculus is sooooo cool and very conceptual. The math part isn't that complex if you can understand the concept side of it! If you're already browsing math youtubes on your own time I'm absolutely certain you can do it! I'm also going to be needing a bit of python as an EE looking towards controls (although god forbid I want to stay [i]away [/i]from software jobs if I can help it, I [i]was [/i]a physics major and switched because I want to work with my hands, not sit at a desk!) and am really looking forward to the class next year. I started a programming club with some of my classmates so we can all practice together, maybe you can do the same!
SmilodonLady wrote on 2022-12-12 20:28:20:

Forestry/Natural Science major... So math ain't required aside from the basics or if you're into graphs. Technically a 'STEM' field if you only look at the S.

Oh, you're totally going to need mathematics then! (my condolences?) My Linear Algebra professor did some contract work in that field and it sounded like super interesting stuff, tracking habitat shifts and wildlife population sizes etc. You might even end up using some of linear yourself! (Systems of equations via matrices, the foundation for a lot of those graphs I'm sure!) I'm certain by the time you have to use the math you're learning right now it'll be retaught to you in a way that actually MATTERS to what you're doing specifically and will be waaaaay more fun to learn. For now... good luck?

EDIT: You'd probably be way more at home at the school I'm at right now than I am honestly. We're a huge natural sciences school and a LOT of people go here for exactly what you're doing! There were four people in my Physics 3 class (one was/is a forestry/civil engineering double major!) and five people in my linear class... including me. I'm transferring next semester haha. They don't offer my intended major here...
StarR3N wrote on 2022-12-12 20:56:22:
I think I lean toward liking math since I've had good teachers and there's channels like ViHart and Standup Maths which make me interested in them. I can understand general concepts and stuff and there's cool stuff in there, but like, it's not something I'd willingly do which is why I'm afraid of having to take calc and python next quarter for my cs minor since none of my major classes were frickin open >:C

Calculus is sooooo cool and very conceptual. The math part isn't that complex if you can understand the concept side of it! If you're already browsing math youtubes on your own time I'm absolutely certain you can do it!

I'm also going to be needing a bit of python as an EE looking towards controls (although god forbid I want to stay away from software jobs if I can help it, I was a physics major and switched because I want to work with my hands, not sit at a desk!) and am really looking forward to the class next year. I started a programming club with some of my classmates so we can all practice together, maybe you can do the same!
Oh yeah, and imaginary numbers exist to kind of serve as "placeholders" in equations! Imagine if math were a series of instructions for how to untangle a string* of christmas lights. i (or the square root of negative one) exist very specifically to "undo" some of the knots that have been put in place by other numbers: it rationalizes when it becomes squared but results in a negative number, which NEVER can happen with "real" numbers and is sometimes really important for modeling real world applications. Which is what math is for! It's just a language, like any other language! Math is English, and physics and any other science discipline uses it like Creative Writing but each in their own unique way with their own unique voice. It exists to describe the world around us, and does it in such a beautiful and absolutely reliable way you can use it's own innerworkings that mirror the unwritten rules of our own universe to predict things we'd have absolutely know way of knowing otherwise, like the effects at the event horizon of a black hole. It's... I could go on. God I love math. I wish everyone loved math. Alas. Alas.
Oh yeah, and imaginary numbers exist to kind of serve as "placeholders" in equations! Imagine if math were a series of instructions for how to untangle a string* of christmas lights. i (or the square root of negative one) exist very specifically to "undo" some of the knots that have been put in place by other numbers: it rationalizes when it becomes squared but results in a negative number, which NEVER can happen with "real" numbers and is sometimes really important for modeling real world applications. Which is what math is for! It's just a language, like any other language! Math is English, and physics and any other science discipline uses it like Creative Writing but each in their own unique way with their own unique voice. It exists to describe the world around us, and does it in such a beautiful and absolutely reliable way you can use it's own innerworkings that mirror the unwritten rules of our own universe to predict things we'd have absolutely know way of knowing otherwise, like the effects at the event horizon of a black hole. It's... I could go on. God I love math. I wish everyone loved math. Alas. Alas.
[quote name="SoulLugia11" date="2022-12-12 21:38:49" ] WOW I'm late, spent the whole day feeling awful; I swear every time I sit down with my laptop something comes up and I feel worse XD Anyway, I bestow some luck with finals as well, SmilodonLady and mrchau! My brother went with German and wishes he'd done Spanish instead, like I did; I went to a STEM school, with me leaning more towards science overall. I had some pretty good teachers who were willing to have one-on-one sessions with me if I happened to struggle! Thought about taking AP Calc once and then decided the stress would kill me actually [/quote] Oh oof, hope you feel better ^.^ I took Japanese like the weeb I am and I've never regretted it, especially since the Japanese teacher at our school was super passionate and explained things in real world contexts and tested us with 'real' scenarios. He was the only Japanese teacher so he also knew what level you were at every year and would even tailor some lessons to people's interests. I took calc ab. It was a lot of stress ;-; but I came out with a 5 on the ap test so that's a good thing? I'm taking the bc equivalent next quarter .w. Rn I'm kinda just like I have vague memories of calc and I know the concepts but I definitely need some refreshers. [quote name="mrchau" date="2022-12-12 22:04:04" ] Calculus is sooooo cool and very conceptual. The math part isn't that complex if you can understand the concept side of it! If you're already browsing math youtubes on your own time I'm absolutely certain you can do it! I'm also going to be needing a bit of python as an EE looking towards controls (although god forbid I want to stay [i]away [/i]from software jobs if I can help it, I [i]was [/i]a physics major and switched because I want to work with my hands, not sit at a desk!) and am really looking forward to the class next year. I started a programming club with some of my classmates so we can all practice together, maybe you can do the same! [/quote] I like programming even if I'm not that good at it -w- It's just a lot of work and frustrating sometimes, especially when you have to be really specific and there's a bunch of parts to keep track of and put together. I do enjoy feeling like an absolute genius when everything works though. Python is also really nice to work with too compared to *shudders* Swift. [s]We had an afterschool thing to learn how to make an Apple app which didn't get very far aside from basics and the swift language is every bit as weirdly exclusive and unintuitive as the products[/s]
SoulLugia11 wrote on 2022-12-12 21:38:49:
WOW I'm late, spent the whole day feeling awful; I swear every time I sit down with my laptop something comes up and I feel worse XD

Anyway, I bestow some luck with finals as well, SmilodonLady and mrchau! My brother went with German and wishes he'd done Spanish instead, like I did; I went to a STEM school, with me leaning more towards science overall. I had some pretty good teachers who were willing to have one-on-one sessions with me if I happened to struggle!

Thought about taking AP Calc once and then decided the stress would kill me actually
Oh oof, hope you feel better ^.^ I took Japanese like the weeb I am and I've never regretted it, especially since the Japanese teacher at our school was super passionate and explained things in real world contexts and tested us with 'real' scenarios. He was the only Japanese teacher so he also knew what level you were at every year and would even tailor some lessons to people's interests.

I took calc ab. It was a lot of stress ;-; but I came out with a 5 on the ap test so that's a good thing? I'm taking the bc equivalent next quarter .w. Rn I'm kinda just like I have vague memories of calc and I know the concepts but I definitely need some refreshers.
mrchau wrote on 2022-12-12 22:04:04:
Calculus is sooooo cool and very conceptual. The math part isn't that complex if you can understand the concept side of it! If you're already browsing math youtubes on your own time I'm absolutely certain you can do it!

I'm also going to be needing a bit of python as an EE looking towards controls (although god forbid I want to stay away from software jobs if I can help it, I was a physics major and switched because I want to work with my hands, not sit at a desk!) and am really looking forward to the class next year. I started a programming club with some of my classmates so we can all practice together, maybe you can do the same!
I like programming even if I'm not that good at it -w- It's just a lot of work and frustrating sometimes, especially when you have to be really specific and there's a bunch of parts to keep track of and put together. I do enjoy feeling like an absolute genius when everything works though. Python is also really nice to work with too compared to *shudders* Swift. We had an afterschool thing to learn how to make an Apple app which didn't get very far aside from basics and the swift language is every bit as weirdly exclusive and unintuitive as the products
y21uwBu.pngSgW17Yj.pngb8hHhx1.png
[quote name="StarR3N" date="2022-12-12 22:52:22" ] I took Japanese like the weeb I am and I've never regretted it, especially since the Japanese teacher at our school was super passionate and explained things in real world contexts and tested us with 'real' scenarios. He was the only Japanese teacher so he also knew what level you were at every year and would even tailor some lessons to people's interests. [/quote] [s]?????????????????????w???????_(:3 ?∠)_[/s] EDIT: apparently fr does NOT allow for kanji/kana WHOOPS [i]NEVERMIND[/i] The feeling when everything falls together and FINALLY works is definitely why I'm drawn to engineering in general. I don't doubt I'll enjoy programming because of it, but my main experience with that is just like web programing and stuff like Twine (arguably web programing with extra steps LOL) so I'm antsy to see how "real" programming actually feels... Thinking of tinkering around this break with some tutorials! Once I recover from post-finals burnout.... it's videogames and more videogame until christmas xD
StarR3N wrote on 2022-12-12 22:52:22:

I took Japanese like the weeb I am and I've never regretted it, especially since the Japanese teacher at our school was super passionate and explained things in real world contexts and tested us with 'real' scenarios. He was the only Japanese teacher so he also knew what level you were at every year and would even tailor some lessons to people's interests.

?????????????????????w???????_(:3 ?∠)_

EDIT: apparently fr does NOT allow for kanji/kana WHOOPS NEVERMIND

The feeling when everything falls together and FINALLY works is definitely why I'm drawn to engineering in general. I don't doubt I'll enjoy programming because of it, but my main experience with that is just like web programing and stuff like Twine (arguably web programing with extra steps LOL) so I'm antsy to see how "real" programming actually feels... Thinking of tinkering around this break with some tutorials! Once I recover from post-finals burnout.... it's videogames and more videogame until christmas xD
So it wasn’t just me who took Japanese courses to watch anime without subs.

I’m actually visiting Tokyo in a few days! Let’s see if I can last five days with my broken Japanese and three months worth of studying. (lol)

Also, hello fellow engineering students!

Surprisingly, I’m bad at math even though I’m studying Computer/Software Engineering. However, I really enjoy programming. I even do some game dev in my free time! I think it comes down to the specifics of Mathematics. Like me, some people might have a bad time memorizing formulas and doing pages of calculations, but enjoy the practical side (like logic, probability, and optimization.)

I’m actually visiting Tokyo in a few days! Let’s see if I can last five days with my broken Japanese and three months worth of studying. (lol)

Surprisingly, I’m bad at math even though I’m studying Computer/Software Engineering. However, I really enjoy programming. I even do some game dev in my free time! I think it comes down to the specifics of Mathematics. Like me, some people might have a bad time memorizing formulas and doing pages of calculations, but enjoy the practical side (like logic, probability, and optimization.)
Late to the conversation, but German poetry epics...
Let's just say I hate Faust from Goethe. Trust me, if you aren't interessted in the topic they are not much better when you actually speak german.
Math on the other hand I actually like, even if I'm not the best at it. I recently spent like half an hour calcualting how many weasels you need in another game to get to a specific goal. I did that 100% willingly.

With different languages, I can leran them, as long as I actually use them, because then I have bothe motivation and reason. That's probably part of the reason why I absolutly failed in French. Never actually needed that one and never got to use it.
Late to the conversation, but German poetry epics...
Let's just say I hate Faust from Goethe. Trust me, if you aren't interessted in the topic they are not much better when you actually speak german.
Math on the other hand I actually like, even if I'm not the best at it. I recently spent like half an hour calcualting how many weasels you need in another game to get to a specific goal. I did that 100% willingly.

With different languages, I can leran them, as long as I actually use them, because then I have bothe motivation and reason. That's probably part of the reason why I absolutly failed in French. Never actually needed that one and never got to use it.
I'm in community college rn then yeeting off to Park (they have some nice classes in nat science) as I'm NEVER going back to the first college I went to and will forever slander UMKC's willingness to be helpful... ABOUT ANYTHING! My grandma had to chew out the cashiers office 'cuz I thought I had paid this stupid fee and it looked like one I had paid, they got really aggressive about it (threatened to drop me or smth over $75) and acted super rude when I asked what it was for and tried to say 'but I paid that already'. Dude was rude to my grandma when she called up to help me clear it up as while I did end up paying it, my grandma called the guy out before hanging up.

TBH said fee was one of those really weird 'book' fees for an online book that I used all of one time if memory serves me right... Or a 'lab' fee... For online chem... As this was 2020ish and the stay at home order was still a vibe for many places.

But for what I plan on doing with my life, basic algebra got me since I'm deeply considering being a forest/park ranger and eventually getting in on some of that sweet government job money since national parks are run by the government. I just wanna be paid to run around in the woods and playing in the creek, I already enjoy those things... And don't really mind touching animals for as much as I pretend to hate mud, bugs are the ones I don't like touching.
I'm in community college rn then yeeting off to Park (they have some nice classes in nat science) as I'm NEVER going back to the first college I went to and will forever slander UMKC's willingness to be helpful... ABOUT ANYTHING! My grandma had to chew out the cashiers office 'cuz I thought I had paid this stupid fee and it looked like one I had paid, they got really aggressive about it (threatened to drop me or smth over $75) and acted super rude when I asked what it was for and tried to say 'but I paid that already'. Dude was rude to my grandma when she called up to help me clear it up as while I did end up paying it, my grandma called the guy out before hanging up.

TBH said fee was one of those really weird 'book' fees for an online book that I used all of one time if memory serves me right... Or a 'lab' fee... For online chem... As this was 2020ish and the stay at home order was still a vibe for many places.

But for what I plan on doing with my life, basic algebra got me since I'm deeply considering being a forest/park ranger and eventually getting in on some of that sweet government job money since national parks are run by the government. I just wanna be paid to run around in the woods and playing in the creek, I already enjoy those things... And don't really mind touching animals for as much as I pretend to hate mud, bugs are the ones I don't like touching.
slXRG.gif
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Dress up
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Basilisks
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif She/her
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Writer/artist

arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Lady, Smiles
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Theatre Kid/FR+ 3
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Roleplayer - Stafshall Park (OPEN!!!)
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Blood Wyverns
Oooh being a park ranger sounds so cool! Do you need a degree in forestry or something similar to be a ranger, or are you doing it just for like extra qualification/specialization? I feel like rangers have to be part cop, part EMT, and part expert hiker, and of course part wildlife conversationalist, but I really have no idea what the job actually requires of applicants... I bet training for it is gonna be so awesome. Spending all day in the woods really sounds like a dream, I want to retire to somewhere that's mostly forest at least...
Oooh being a park ranger sounds so cool! Do you need a degree in forestry or something similar to be a ranger, or are you doing it just for like extra qualification/specialization? I feel like rangers have to be part cop, part EMT, and part expert hiker, and of course part wildlife conversationalist, but I really have no idea what the job actually requires of applicants... I bet training for it is gonna be so awesome. Spending all day in the woods really sounds like a dream, I want to retire to somewhere that's mostly forest at least...
[quote name="Coalsaurus" date="2022-12-13 01:36:23" ] So it wasn’t just me who took Japanese courses to watch anime without subs. I’m actually visiting Tokyo in a few days! Let’s see if I can last five days with my broken Japanese and three months worth of studying. (lol) Also, hello fellow engineering students! Surprisingly, I’m bad at math even though I’m studying Computer/Software Engineering. However, I really enjoy programming. I even do some game dev in my free time! I think it comes down to the specifics of Mathematics. Like me, some people might have a bad time memorizing formulas and doing pages of calculations, but enjoy the practical side (like logic, probability, and optimization.) [/quote] Enjoy Tokyo! I lived there for a time, and it's my intention to move back after college... here's hoping anyway! It's completely navigable with just English, so you'll be totally fine. Nearly every major sign is bilingual and most shop keepers speak enough English to get the job done. Just keep "sumimasen" in your pocket for moving around crowded areas and you're set! And man yeah I don't think you have to be "good" at math to be a programmer, it's really more about problem solving and understanding languages isn't it? I think they make CS majors go through so much math because a lot of software depends on math concepts, but it's not like you're gonna need Calculus where you're going... I have a friend who's doing AI development and says he hasn't used any of that even once.
Coalsaurus wrote on 2022-12-13 01:36:23:

Enjoy Tokyo! I lived there for a time, and it's my intention to move back after college... here's hoping anyway! It's completely navigable with just English, so you'll be totally fine. Nearly every major sign is bilingual and most shop keepers speak enough English to get the job done. Just keep "sumimasen" in your pocket for moving around crowded areas and you're set!

And man yeah I don't think you have to be "good" at math to be a programmer, it's really more about problem solving and understanding languages isn't it? I think they make CS majors go through so much math because a lot of software depends on math concepts, but it's not like you're gonna need Calculus where you're going... I have a friend who's doing AI development and says he hasn't used any of that even once.
The forestry bit is kinda needed since in theory I could do it without, but for a job application I'd prolly get passed over for someone more qualified. And you don't so much need police training since you just remind people of the rules and advise them not to get troopers/cops involved in the first place if that makes sense? Like I can tell you 'hey don't do that, it's illegal.' And most people would stop from the shame of being caught, if they wish to escalate it I can get the police to come deal with it properly.
EMS is probably smth I'd get on site as part of job training as for me, it'd be about either patching up a minor injury or making sure they don't die before people more certified than I get there.
I already like hiking for the most part and know better than to cause unneeded damage to nature (look I can't avoid stepping on every bug or breaking a few branches.)

I just hope I never encounter the sort of idiot that insists on having their kid pet a wild copperhead then blame me for it... As no I'mma tell you that snake is mean and will kill you. (And yes I do know the venomus snakes of my state, seen two of them and tbh both are more scare of you and the third is polite enough to warn you before it bites most of the time. [copperhead, cottonmouth, rattlesnake])
The forestry bit is kinda needed since in theory I could do it without, but for a job application I'd prolly get passed over for someone more qualified. And you don't so much need police training since you just remind people of the rules and advise them not to get troopers/cops involved in the first place if that makes sense? Like I can tell you 'hey don't do that, it's illegal.' And most people would stop from the shame of being caught, if they wish to escalate it I can get the police to come deal with it properly.
EMS is probably smth I'd get on site as part of job training as for me, it'd be about either patching up a minor injury or making sure they don't die before people more certified than I get there.
I already like hiking for the most part and know better than to cause unneeded damage to nature (look I can't avoid stepping on every bug or breaking a few branches.)

I just hope I never encounter the sort of idiot that insists on having their kid pet a wild copperhead then blame me for it... As no I'mma tell you that snake is mean and will kill you. (And yes I do know the venomus snakes of my state, seen two of them and tbh both are more scare of you and the third is polite enough to warn you before it bites most of the time. [copperhead, cottonmouth, rattlesnake])
slXRG.gif
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Dress up
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Basilisks
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif She/her
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Writer/artist

arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Lady, Smiles
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Theatre Kid/FR+ 3
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Roleplayer - Stafshall Park (OPEN!!!)
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Blood Wyverns
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 38 39