Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Accents and other symbols in dragon name
1 2
[quote name="PantasticalCat" date="2022-11-16 11:58:50" ] @/SCB I still think there's better solutions than banning any other symbols entirely, feels like a cop out and unfair to non-english speakers [/quote] FR has stated that the reason they only allow english is for moderating purposes. I can’t find the thread at the moment but I’ll try and find it.
PantasticalCat wrote on 2022-11-16 11:58:50:
@/SCB I still think there's better solutions than banning any other symbols entirely, feels like a cop out and unfair to non-english speakers
FR has stated that the reason they only allow english is for moderating purposes. I can’t find the thread at the moment but I’ll try and find it.
Square-3.png Wolf_26299_3_15.png
FAQ & About Me
Dragons for Sale

FR +0 | She/Her | AuDHD
72918353.png square2.png
Found it:
Quote:
Hello everyone! Clan Broadcasts are limited to basic ASCII. This change was made as comprehensive (non-basic) character support gave players multiple methods to circumvent and exploit our filters, and frequently.

As this was a site moderation decision based on player behavior history—not a language support decision—we did not announce it with the update. But we recognize this change was disruptive for you, and we apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this change caused our multi-lingual players.

This thread is now locked, in part because it received an official response and in part because this falls under our Non-Gameplay Feedback policy. I hope this information helps, and thank you for understanding.

Edit: fixed a non-working link
Found it:
Quote:
Hello everyone! Clan Broadcasts are limited to basic ASCII. This change was made as comprehensive (non-basic) character support gave players multiple methods to circumvent and exploit our filters, and frequently.

As this was a site moderation decision based on player behavior history—not a language support decision—we did not announce it with the update. But we recognize this change was disruptive for you, and we apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this change caused our multi-lingual players.

This thread is now locked, in part because it received an official response and in part because this falls under our Non-Gameplay Feedback policy. I hope this information helps, and thank you for understanding.

Edit: fixed a non-working link
FAQ & About Me
Dragons for Sale

FR +0 | She/Her | AuDHD
72918353.png square2.png
@Panther202 wait, so it's seriously just for censorship purposes? Are you joking me? Oh my god you have no idea how mad that makes me, you mean to tell me that if I wanted to name one of my dragons after my own brother I couldn't do that, just because some people were using naughty words and instead of using a more complicated filter system that includes diacritics, the devs decided just to ban them entirely?? COME ON.

Thanks for finding that, I really appreciate it.
@Panther202 wait, so it's seriously just for censorship purposes? Are you joking me? Oh my god you have no idea how mad that makes me, you mean to tell me that if I wanted to name one of my dragons after my own brother I couldn't do that, just because some people were using naughty words and instead of using a more complicated filter system that includes diacritics, the devs decided just to ban them entirely?? COME ON.

[quote name="PantasticalCat" date="2022-11-16 16:05:37" ] @/Panther202 wait, so it's seriously just for censorship purposes? Are you joking me? Oh my god you have no idea how mad that makes me, you mean to tell me that if I wanted to name one of my dragons after my own brother I couldn't do that, just because some people were using naughty words and instead of using a more complicated filter system that includes diacritics, the devs decided just to ban them entirely?? COME ON. Thanks for finding that, I really appreciate it. [/quote] Wouldn’t they need to be able to translate for that to include other languages?
PantasticalCat wrote on 2022-11-16 16:05:37:
@/Panther202 wait, so it's seriously just for censorship purposes? Are you joking me? Oh my god you have no idea how mad that makes me, you mean to tell me that if I wanted to name one of my dragons after my own brother I couldn't do that, just because some people were using naughty words and instead of using a more complicated filter system that includes diacritics, the devs decided just to ban them entirely?? COME ON.

Wouldn’t they need to be able to translate for that to include other languages?
[quote name="PantasticalCat" date="2022-11-16 16:05:37" ] @/Panther202 wait, so it's seriously just for censorship purposes? Are you joking me? Oh my god you have no idea how mad that makes me, you mean to tell me that if I wanted to name one of my dragons after my own brother I couldn't do that, just because some people were using naughty words and instead of using a more complicated filter system that includes diacritics, the devs decided just to ban them entirely?? COME ON. Thanks for finding that, I really appreciate it. [/quote] I mean, we don’t know the capabilities of FRs system or the devs, or their filters for that matter. I personally think it’s a valid concern. You’re allowed to be mad about it, but it’s not fair to come after the devs for things we don’t know all of the ins and outs of.
PantasticalCat wrote on 2022-11-16 16:05:37:
@/Panther202 wait, so it's seriously just for censorship purposes? Are you joking me? Oh my god you have no idea how mad that makes me, you mean to tell me that if I wanted to name one of my dragons after my own brother I couldn't do that, just because some people were using naughty words and instead of using a more complicated filter system that includes diacritics, the devs decided just to ban them entirely?? COME ON.

I mean, we don’t know the capabilities of FRs system or the devs, or their filters for that matter. I personally think it’s a valid concern. You’re allowed to be mad about it, but it’s not fair to come after the devs for things we don’t know all of the ins and outs of.
FAQ & About Me
Dragons for Sale

FR +0 | She/Her | AuDHD
72918353.png square2.png
@Panther202 I get where you and the Devs are coming from, I really do and I don’t know how much effort would go into implementing a more detailed system to be able to include diacritics while still having appropriate censorship, but I just am really bummed out that they felt the need to choose between language support and filtering. It’s just really frustrating to know that this is something that used to exist, and then it was taken away apparently, not just that it was simply overlooked.
@Panther202 I get where you and the Devs are coming from, I really do and I don’t know how much effort would go into implementing a more detailed system to be able to include diacritics while still having appropriate censorship, but I just am really bummed out that they felt the need to choose between language support and filtering. It’s just really frustrating to know that this is something that used to exist, and then it was taken away apparently, not just that it was simply overlooked.
[quote name="PantasticalCat" date="2022-11-16 23:10:49" ] @Panther202 I get where you and the Devs are coming from, I really do and I don’t know how much effort would go into implementing a more detailed system to be able to include diacritics while still having appropriate censorship, but I just am really bummed out that they felt the need to choose between language support and filtering. It’s just really frustrating to know that this is something that used to exist, and then it was taken away apparently, not just that it was simply overlooked. [/quote] Personally I think having it taken away is better because it means they [i]tried [/i] and it didn't work out. They wanted to be inclusive but unfortunately we, the players, ruined it.
PantasticalCat wrote on 2022-11-16 23:10:49:
Personally I think having it taken away is better because it means they tried and it didn't work out. They wanted to be inclusive but unfortunately we, the players, ruined it.
FAQ & About Me
Dragons for Sale

FR +0 | She/Her | AuDHD
72918353.png square2.png
[quote name="Panther202" date="2022-11-16 23:15:51" ] Personally I think having it taken away is better because it means they [i]tried [/i] and it didn't work out. They wanted to be inclusive but unfortunately we, the players, ruined it. [/quote] Unfortunately, dragon names can show up on the front page, so there is the same issue of immediate public visibility as the forums. As a site with minors, FR has safeguarding responsibilities, so it's much safer from a legal perspective to restrict to what staff can easily see and understand. Automatic censors either end up useless, unworkably prohibitive, or more usually both at the same time. Also... users have proven time and again that given an opportunity they will abuse it when it comes to text. That's why avenged characters have already been stripped out of some areas - they [i]did[/i] try, and it didn't work. What reason do they have to think dragon names will be any different?
Panther202 wrote on 2022-11-16 23:15:51:
Personally I think having it taken away is better because it means they tried and it didn't work out. They wanted to be inclusive but unfortunately we, the players, ruined it.

Unfortunately, dragon names can show up on the front page, so there is the same issue of immediate public visibility as the forums. As a site with minors, FR has safeguarding responsibilities, so it's much safer from a legal perspective to restrict to what staff can easily see and understand. Automatic censors either end up useless, unworkably prohibitive, or more usually both at the same time.

Also... users have proven time and again that given an opportunity they will abuse it when it comes to text. That's why avenged characters have already been stripped out of some areas - they did try, and it didn't work. What reason do they have to think dragon names will be any different?
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
Hello everyone! I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread under our [b][url=https://flightrising.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005918783-Non-Gameplay-Feedback]Non-Gameplay Feedback[/url][/b] policy. I'll also [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/help/3184733/2#post_52730021]link my response from the associated thread[/url][/b] in the Help Center, too. Thank you! [quote name="Aequorin" date="2022-11-17 06:05:55" ] [quote name="PantasticalCat" date="2022-11-16 16:01:12" ] @/Almedha I reject the fact that they were rejected! that's dumb! you mean to tell me there are dozens of games that have censorship systems that are able to detect when players use accents and symbols to "swear" and still allow those accents and symbols in other words but FR can't do that? I mean, if it was like some kind of coding issue like someone suggested in the post I made in the suggestions forum, that would at least make more sense than this but this excuse just feels lazy to me, and I'm not sorry for saying that. Of course, I've yet to come across an actual mod or dev excuse so none of us can say for sure, but still. EDIT: someone on my other post found the response where the devs basically admitted that the whole reason for this is censorship and filtering, I am IRATE right now. https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3179759#post_52581370 [/quote] Hello @/PantasticalCat, thank you for your feedback. I understand how this can feel like a personal slight and why it would make you feel irate. I apologize for any frustration caused by our content moderation policies. These decisions are made due to the repeated choices made by players acting in bad faith or malice, exploiting the fact we are a small team unable to support a multi-lingual platform at this time. We've had to clean up some truly vile, deplorable dragon names and broadcasts that sat for far too long because players were able to [b][url=https://flightrising.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/201441323-Rules-Policies]circumvent our rules[/url][/b] via special characters. As many here have noted, special characters for multilingual use are still possible in the forums—just not in dragon names (which show up on the front page) or broadcasts. Moderating a platform with significant user-generated content is a constant balancing act, where each decision is weighed between the well-being of the community, the well-being of the employees tasked with content moderation and clean-up, and the company. We are doing our best with the resources we have. I hope this information helps clarify any concerns or confusion surrounding our decisions. As this is ultimately [b][url=https://flightrising.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005918783-Non-Gameplay-Feedback]a moderation and policy issue[/url][/b], I am locking this thread. If you would like to make a suggestion regarding policy changes, you can do so through [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/site/contact-us]Contact Us.[/url][/b] [/quote]
Hello everyone! I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread under our Non-Gameplay Feedback policy. I'll also link my response from the associated thread in the Help Center, too. Thank you!

Aequorin wrote on 2022-11-17 06:05:55:
PantasticalCat wrote on 2022-11-16 16:01:12:
@/Almedha I reject the fact that they were rejected! that's dumb! you mean to tell me there are dozens of games that have censorship systems that are able to detect when players use accents and symbols to "swear" and still allow those accents and symbols in other words but FR can't do that? I mean, if it was like some kind of coding issue like someone suggested in the post I made in the suggestions forum, that would at least make more sense than this but this excuse just feels lazy to me, and I'm not sorry for saying that. Of course, I've yet to come across an actual mod or dev excuse so none of us can say for sure, but still.

EDIT: someone on my other post found the response where the devs basically admitted that the whole reason for this is censorship and filtering, I am IRATE right now.

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3179759#post_52581370

Hello @/PantasticalCat, thank you for your feedback. I understand how this can feel like a personal slight and why it would make you feel irate. I apologize for any frustration caused by our content moderation policies.

These decisions are made due to the repeated choices made by players acting in bad faith or malice, exploiting the fact we are a small team unable to support a multi-lingual platform at this time. We've had to clean up some truly vile, deplorable dragon names and broadcasts that sat for far too long because players were able to circumvent our rules via special characters.

As many here have noted, special characters for multilingual use are still possible in the forums—just not in dragon names (which show up on the front page) or broadcasts. Moderating a platform with significant user-generated content is a constant balancing act, where each decision is weighed between the well-being of the community, the well-being of the employees tasked with content moderation and clean-up, and the company. We are doing our best with the resources we have.

I hope this information helps clarify any concerns or confusion surrounding our decisions. As this is ultimately a moderation and policy issue, I am locking this thread. If you would like to make a suggestion regarding policy changes, you can do so through Contact Us.
1 2