Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Does anybody use fae expressions
1 2 3
Specifically, does anybody here use the whole "faes express themselves using their fins and have monotone voices/deadpan faces" in their lore? I'm planning on using that sort of fae quirk not only in writing, but also in drawings, and I was wondering who else uses this in lore
Specifically, does anybody here use the whole "faes express themselves using their fins and have monotone voices/deadpan faces" in their lore? I'm planning on using that sort of fae quirk not only in writing, but also in drawings, and I was wondering who else uses this in lore
e1hq93t.jpeg umzEeyZ.jpeg
I do! When I roleplay, I describe my faces using their fins to express themselves, and I've based it largely off of housecat body language. For instance: fins flat to their head = cat ears flattened, upset or frightened.
If you need any writing advice lemme know
I do! When I roleplay, I describe my faces using their fins to express themselves, and I've based it largely off of housecat body language. For instance: fins flat to their head = cat ears flattened, upset or frightened.
If you need any writing advice lemme know
hi ~
I created a subspecies of Snappers that, to be better messengers, typically learns both the Fae and Coatl languages.

When speaking Fae, they sit up on their hind limbs and use their wings to approximate the necessary fin positions. It works, even if the "accent" is terrible.
I created a subspecies of Snappers that, to be better messengers, typically learns both the Fae and Coatl languages.

When speaking Fae, they sit up on their hind limbs and use their wings to approximate the necessary fin positions. It works, even if the "accent" is terrible.
cDDSaqc.png
i do use it in my canon, though i also hc that it can be something that is learned out of, or simply not present in certain individuals. my progens are both expressive fae, but my custom progen was always like that, while my random progen had to learn how to emote! another fae in the clan lore remains completely monotonous. it's all up to the individual!
i do use it in my canon, though i also hc that it can be something that is learned out of, or simply not present in certain individuals. my progens are both expressive fae, but my custom progen was always like that, while my random progen had to learn how to emote! another fae in the clan lore remains completely monotonous. it's all up to the individual!
LilLegendary's green snapper dragon named Diema bobbing her head, wearing white headphones with black trim and a pink heart symbol on the ear cup.LilLegendary's green snapper dragon named Diema doing the monkey dance while flapping her wings and shaking her tail from side to side.LilLegendary's green snapper dragon named Diema dancing by waving her front legs in the air and turning her body from side to side.LilLegendary's green snapper dragon named Diema with one foreleg on her hip and the other waving in the air.
On the rare occasion I use emojis I do tend to use the fae ones, because their permanent resting angry face resembles mine in real life [emoji=fae happy size=1]
On the rare occasion I use emojis I do tend to use the fae ones, because their permanent resting angry face resembles mine in real life
Yes I do! Sometimes even for dragons who were once Fae before a breed change. Which can be quite distressing for them.

I quite enjoy the idea of a species that was created to express their emotions in a way that is entirely alien to the other breeds, as all of them were made by gods with quite different ideas on what their creations should be. That the Arcanist made something who's emotional state could not be easily discerned by those without knowledge, and monotone voices to go along with it (possibly be less likely to disturb his studies) makes sense to me.

I take the breed descriptions to be quite literal as said dragons baseline nature, an individual's personality might alter things, but the nature would still exist in some way.
Yes I do! Sometimes even for dragons who were once Fae before a breed change. Which can be quite distressing for them.

I quite enjoy the idea of a species that was created to express their emotions in a way that is entirely alien to the other breeds, as all of them were made by gods with quite different ideas on what their creations should be. That the Arcanist made something who's emotional state could not be easily discerned by those without knowledge, and monotone voices to go along with it (possibly be less likely to disturb his studies) makes sense to me.

I take the breed descriptions to be quite literal as said dragons baseline nature, an individual's personality might alter things, but the nature would still exist in some way.
4QFtgPW.png
[quote name="LilLegendary" date="2022-10-06 06:40:44" ] i do use it in my canon, though i also hc that it can be something that is learned out of, or simply not present in certain individuals. my progens are both expressive fae, but my custom progen was always like that, while my random progen had to learn how to emote! another fae in the clan lore remains completely monotonous. it's all up to the individual! [/quote] I do the same It just makes sense to me that a fae who was raised around other dragons would learn to mimic their expressions
LilLegendary wrote on 2022-10-06 06:40:44:

I do the same
It just makes sense to me that a fae who was raised around other dragons would learn to mimic their expressions
potato.png
My Faes use fin expressions, and have high, shrill voices that are not as expressive as those of other dragons, although not wholly monotone. Their faces, again, are less expressive than those of other dragons, but not completely blank.

The three Tundra children of Amaryllis, a Fae, are stated in lore to have a full understanding of fin expressions, and to know how to emulate them, though I never exactly described how they do it. Likewise, all my Faes understand face and voice expressions: they're just not very good at copying them.

So Faes primarily emote with their fins, while other breeds primarily emote with their faces and voices, and both sides understand each other well enough.
My Faes use fin expressions, and have high, shrill voices that are not as expressive as those of other dragons, although not wholly monotone. Their faces, again, are less expressive than those of other dragons, but not completely blank.

The three Tundra children of Amaryllis, a Fae, are stated in lore to have a full understanding of fin expressions, and to know how to emulate them, though I never exactly described how they do it. Likewise, all my Faes understand face and voice expressions: they're just not very good at copying them.

So Faes primarily emote with their fins, while other breeds primarily emote with their faces and voices, and both sides understand each other well enough.
tumblr_inline_nhxp29cBNA1qcphlu.png
Buying an additional apparel slot
unlocks it for ALL your dragons,
not just one!
I do, though I also give them the speech patterns of the elcor from mass effect when talking to another species [dragon or beastclan], stating their tone/intention, to ease communication. Other groups, at least in my clan, have to learn what fae fin language means as well, to further help. [Barely related, but other groups in my lore are also expected to at the very least understand the coatl language and common beastclan one as well, due to friendly relations with many of those; and they'll use some sort of tool to "speak" the coatl language.]

I also tend to headcanon them not only with deadpan faces, but without solid eyelids [just translucent ones to protect the eyes from drying out] to make them further harder to read- they are weird bugs and I love them. No blinking for the fae
I do, though I also give them the speech patterns of the elcor from mass effect when talking to another species [dragon or beastclan], stating their tone/intention, to ease communication. Other groups, at least in my clan, have to learn what fae fin language means as well, to further help. [Barely related, but other groups in my lore are also expected to at the very least understand the coatl language and common beastclan one as well, due to friendly relations with many of those; and they'll use some sort of tool to "speak" the coatl language.]

I also tend to headcanon them not only with deadpan faces, but without solid eyelids [just translucent ones to protect the eyes from drying out] to make them further harder to read- they are weird bugs and I love them. No blinking for the fae
Clay/Hazel/Blake
They/Them and He/Him

tumblr_inline_ny7iucYIcg1qmzhvw_540.png
[quote name="LadyRaptor" date="2022-10-06 06:30:36" ] I created a subspecies of Snappers that, to be better messengers, typically learns both the Fae and Coatl languages. When speaking Fae, they sit up on their hind limbs and use their wings to approximate the necessary fin positions. It works, even if the "accent" is terrible. [/quote] That sounds like an absolutely adorable idea, wow-
LadyRaptor wrote on 2022-10-06 06:30:36:

That sounds like an absolutely adorable idea, wow-
OQwOmsS.png
_

she/her
straight
quoiromantic
A link to my skin shop.
A small egg with a galaxy pattern and white hearts on it. It links to the Wholesome Void Hatchery.
_

FR time +1
A link to my Instagram.
A link to my DeviantArt.
A link to my wishlist.
PX2gJ9f.png
1 2 3