Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Do you like the horror genre?
1 2 3 4 5
I really dislike horror and have never touched it (unless you count Subnautica, but I don’t find it scary because I love the ocean and I got it for the adventure/survival aspect). I don’t get the whole concept of wanting to be scared, but it’s really interesting to read about why other people enjoy it, so this is a great thread. Too bad that I don’t like horror because I love creature design :( That said, me not liking horror is just a personal thing and everyone is entitled to enjoy what they enjoy.
I really dislike horror and have never touched it (unless you count Subnautica, but I don’t find it scary because I love the ocean and I got it for the adventure/survival aspect). I don’t get the whole concept of wanting to be scared, but it’s really interesting to read about why other people enjoy it, so this is a great thread. Too bad that I don’t like horror because I love creature design :( That said, me not liking horror is just a personal thing and everyone is entitled to enjoy what they enjoy.
oJK1fXV.png
I'm not really into the genre of horror per se, but I love analogue horror series such as Local 58. My favourite thing about horror is probably the concepts, which I put into the category of "fantasy/sci-fi but you remove all the limits". I love fantasy and sci-fi, and I love seeing what people can come up with without needing to be worried about how disturbing the concept is.
I still hate jumpscares, though.
I'm not really into the genre of horror per se, but I love analogue horror series such as Local 58. My favourite thing about horror is probably the concepts, which I put into the category of "fantasy/sci-fi but you remove all the limits". I love fantasy and sci-fi, and I love seeing what people can come up with without needing to be worried about how disturbing the concept is.
I still hate jumpscares, though.
Newmoon | She/her | FRT +17-19 (depending on daylight savings)

Fandergs | Wishlist

I made a cheap UMA! Click here to order it!
Theoretically, sure. The problem is that I'm a coward.

I looove psychological horror. Stuff that slowly creeps you out, especially that kind when it's not scary at first until you uncover more and more of what's going on. The kind that gives you goosebumps.

I'm not very fond of jumpscares. Little scares, sure. But even a door closing on it's own makes me jump. I need, like, a 5 minute break after ever jumpscare to recover.

What I absolutely cannot stand is gore. I can handle it to some level, but I hate when it's used for the sole purpose of making things more ew. Blood? Sure. Body horror? Sure. Unnecessarily violent and graphic? No thank you. That doesn't have a horror effect on me, it doesn't make things scarier, it just make them weird.
Theoretically, sure. The problem is that I'm a coward.

I looove psychological horror. Stuff that slowly creeps you out, especially that kind when it's not scary at first until you uncover more and more of what's going on. The kind that gives you goosebumps.

I'm not very fond of jumpscares. Little scares, sure. But even a door closing on it's own makes me jump. I need, like, a 5 minute break after ever jumpscare to recover.

What I absolutely cannot stand is gore. I can handle it to some level, but I hate when it's used for the sole purpose of making things more ew. Blood? Sure. Body horror? Sure. Unnecessarily violent and graphic? No thank you. That doesn't have a horror effect on me, it doesn't make things scarier, it just make them weird.
I will
give you DRAGONS for MONEY
HQevuOP.png Sell me
your
dragons!

(Anyone got an XXX tarnish G1?)
Yeah, but I'm pretty picky about my horror media. I absolutely despise anything that relies too much on jump scares. Psychological horror is totally my jam though! I love that kind of thing.
Yeah, but I'm pretty picky about my horror media. I absolutely despise anything that relies too much on jump scares. Psychological horror is totally my jam though! I love that kind of thing.
ethanol_by_dislike_like-dbg3xow.png
Absolutely. Everything from stories to games to movies and web series and args,,,, Everything.

One of my favorite horror subtypes is kids things gone wrong. Poppy Playtime, FNaF, BATIM, TWF, H&H. Stories like Red Mist, Rainbow Factory, Cupcakes, Every Copy of Mario 64 is Personalized, ect. The goryier and farther from what the media was meant to be, the better. This is also why I adore the Dread Duckies from Dark Deception.

I also adore liminal horror. I've really enjoyed Kanes backrooms series. He has, by far, made the best iteration of it. And at 17 I'd love to see how far he goes in his career. In other terms in these liminal spaces, I have a fond preference for things like the poolrooms, abandoned playgrounds, bright neighborhoods where all the houses look the same and the grass is a little to green and sun a little to bright and sky a little to blue. Endless forests. Empty stores. Are you alone? Or not? Which answer is scarier?

Body horror in video games fascinates me. Silent Hill. Dead Space. Resident Evil. I'm fascinated with the biology and morphology of the creatures, studying them like animals, learning how they function, why they look or serve what purpose they do, their behaviors and such. Its amazing, and fascinating, and beautiful. Horrific, but beautiful.

I could 100% go on. But. I'll end it here. ^^"""
Absolutely. Everything from stories to games to movies and web series and args,,,, Everything.

One of my favorite horror subtypes is kids things gone wrong. Poppy Playtime, FNaF, BATIM, TWF, H&H. Stories like Red Mist, Rainbow Factory, Cupcakes, Every Copy of Mario 64 is Personalized, ect. The goryier and farther from what the media was meant to be, the better. This is also why I adore the Dread Duckies from Dark Deception.

I also adore liminal horror. I've really enjoyed Kanes backrooms series. He has, by far, made the best iteration of it. And at 17 I'd love to see how far he goes in his career. In other terms in these liminal spaces, I have a fond preference for things like the poolrooms, abandoned playgrounds, bright neighborhoods where all the houses look the same and the grass is a little to green and sun a little to bright and sky a little to blue. Endless forests. Empty stores. Are you alone? Or not? Which answer is scarier?

Body horror in video games fascinates me. Silent Hill. Dead Space. Resident Evil. I'm fascinated with the biology and morphology of the creatures, studying them like animals, learning how they function, why they look or serve what purpose they do, their behaviors and such. Its amazing, and fascinating, and beautiful. Horrific, but beautiful.

I could 100% go on. But. I'll end it here. ^^"""
Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
ZKQ6ohh.pngtNgQJvM.pngDgV9RW4.png
gNKHrxH.png1bSJVgF.pngbYt72YT.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
Yes, I adore horror. Good, bad, etc.
REALLY rarely actually get scared beyond a startle response or a gross out/sensory issue. Like... I don't get scared except sometimes in books/short stories.
But I do have a ridiculous startle response which I enjoy playing with.

I often suck at horror GAMES because they're often shooters and I have terrible aim---
But that's actually improving as I got glasses so.. Who knows, I may actually FINISH some of them *****.

I also adore gore so... Honestly there's no reason I wouldn't enjoy horror except I'm a pretty nervous/paranoid person lol (though most of my phobias are not really touch on in horror... except emetophobia which I work with)

I usually watch a TON of horror stuff all October lol.

Generally I do enjoy anything Steven King (though my ability to read a book seems to fluxuate) and I think my current favorites are It (both the old TV special and the newer movies) but I had a ton of old cheap paperback horror anthologies I grew up with...

I honestly thrived on the sort of creepypastas/SCP stuff and ARG Youtube stuff years ago and that really is something I mean to pick up more again.
Yes, I adore horror. Good, bad, etc.
REALLY rarely actually get scared beyond a startle response or a gross out/sensory issue. Like... I don't get scared except sometimes in books/short stories.
But I do have a ridiculous startle response which I enjoy playing with.

I often suck at horror GAMES because they're often shooters and I have terrible aim---
But that's actually improving as I got glasses so.. Who knows, I may actually FINISH some of them *****.

I also adore gore so... Honestly there's no reason I wouldn't enjoy horror except I'm a pretty nervous/paranoid person lol (though most of my phobias are not really touch on in horror... except emetophobia which I work with)

I usually watch a TON of horror stuff all October lol.

Generally I do enjoy anything Steven King (though my ability to read a book seems to fluxuate) and I think my current favorites are It (both the old TV special and the newer movies) but I had a ton of old cheap paperback horror anthologies I grew up with...

I honestly thrived on the sort of creepypastas/SCP stuff and ARG Youtube stuff years ago and that really is something I mean to pick up more again.
Ohh. Hm. I have mixed feelings about horror.

On one hand, there's definitely parts that I like. Spooky things, tensions, general presence of some kind of monster or monstrous element, about mid level on the gore at most because its scary but not terribly gross, and the whole "how will they get out of this situation" curiosity. Like, what's not to like about a a monstrous, intelligent reptile (for example) hunting people down?

On the other hand though, the genre has some tendencies that I'm not interested in. For me it's stuff like killing the animals for a cheap emotional hit, the characters that you don't care about because they aren't the main character (hopefully) and were written with a paper thin personality, or the gratuitous reliance on s*xual violence. On one occasion I saw two random trailers for horror movies, looked them up out of curiosity and both of them (different horror subgenres) had kids (not entirely human, but still) doing an SA on a parent. Not all horror is like this of course, but it does seem to pop up a fair bit.

That being said, The Magnus Archives meat gardener episode and the diner and hallway scenes from the Sandman comic are pretty good for the skin crawlies.
Ohh. Hm. I have mixed feelings about horror.

On one hand, there's definitely parts that I like. Spooky things, tensions, general presence of some kind of monster or monstrous element, about mid level on the gore at most because its scary but not terribly gross, and the whole "how will they get out of this situation" curiosity. Like, what's not to like about a a monstrous, intelligent reptile (for example) hunting people down?

On the other hand though, the genre has some tendencies that I'm not interested in. For me it's stuff like killing the animals for a cheap emotional hit, the characters that you don't care about because they aren't the main character (hopefully) and were written with a paper thin personality, or the gratuitous reliance on s*xual violence. On one occasion I saw two random trailers for horror movies, looked them up out of curiosity and both of them (different horror subgenres) had kids (not entirely human, but still) doing an SA on a parent. Not all horror is like this of course, but it does seem to pop up a fair bit.

That being said, The Magnus Archives meat gardener episode and the diner and hallway scenes from the Sandman comic are pretty good for the skin crawlies.
i love horror.

i love bad horror, first of all. there's nothing funnier to me than a straight-to-streaming horror movie trying its little heart out to be scary and falling totally on its face.

good horror is a lot harder to find but is so satisfying when it's done right. i love creature features with cool monster design, altho sadly that brand of horror got left in the past it feels like. there's just a couple recent movies coming out that really try to do justice to their creatures, e.g. annihilation and the ritual.

i like horror games too, altho i prefer to watch rather than play them since watching is free lol.

i just love horror in general. i love to be horrified, i love to be disturbed, i love to see something that makes my blood go cold and sits in the back of my brain for days or weeks after. i am unfortunately very desensitized to horror so i'm forever chasing that high lol.
i love horror.

i love bad horror, first of all. there's nothing funnier to me than a straight-to-streaming horror movie trying its little heart out to be scary and falling totally on its face.

good horror is a lot harder to find but is so satisfying when it's done right. i love creature features with cool monster design, altho sadly that brand of horror got left in the past it feels like. there's just a couple recent movies coming out that really try to do justice to their creatures, e.g. annihilation and the ritual.

i like horror games too, altho i prefer to watch rather than play them since watching is free lol.

i just love horror in general. i love to be horrified, i love to be disturbed, i love to see something that makes my blood go cold and sits in the back of my brain for days or weeks after. i am unfortunately very desensitized to horror so i'm forever chasing that high lol.
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
I guess it is okay.
I don't really like slasher, shock, or Cosmic types of horror,

But I do really like psychological horror, and invisible enemies type of horror where horror elements are from within or unseen/unknown. So like just as an example Junji Ito is popular in horror genre and uses psychological elements in the stories, The most well known is "this hole was made for me"

I'm currently reading a slow paced one, where there is no fantasy or unrealistic elements. The main character went through something horrific and traumatic way beyond their control, they never got help, and their mind unable to cope with that trauma, suffered Egodeath.
It's extremely sad and not beyond the realm of something that could happen to someone in real life, and I find it way more intriguing and scary than "3am bad guy ends people scarily"
I guess it is okay.
I don't really like slasher, shock, or Cosmic types of horror,

But I do really like psychological horror, and invisible enemies type of horror where horror elements are from within or unseen/unknown. So like just as an example Junji Ito is popular in horror genre and uses psychological elements in the stories, The most well known is "this hole was made for me"

I'm currently reading a slow paced one, where there is no fantasy or unrealistic elements. The main character went through something horrific and traumatic way beyond their control, they never got help, and their mind unable to cope with that trauma, suffered Egodeath.
It's extremely sad and not beyond the realm of something that could happen to someone in real life, and I find it way more intriguing and scary than "3am bad guy ends people scarily"
A dragon dressed up as bubbles and fish that has a Bio full of lesser known tips and tricks to Flight Rising
Paranormal horror scares me too much to be enjoyable for some reason unless I already know exactly how the movie plays out. I love the Grudge, for example, but I wouldn't watch a brand new horror movie. I've got quite a few old horror tapes laying around.

I do love shock/grotesque horror though, like Junji Ito.
Paranormal horror scares me too much to be enjoyable for some reason unless I already know exactly how the movie plays out. I love the Grudge, for example, but I wouldn't watch a brand new horror movie. I've got quite a few old horror tapes laying around.

I do love shock/grotesque horror though, like Junji Ito.
3BQENe8.png
J7D1quC.png
qJFAY9h.png
47OyeGK.png
8B7LZd5.png
.........................................................................................................................................................................................
johPgo5.png
1 2 3 4 5