Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Favorite/ most useful ways of studying?
Hi y'all!! I'm a freshman and high school with little to no experience with studying. I wanna find out which methods y'all find most helpful/ or enjoyable to use to study for tests and quizzes!
Hi y'all!! I'm a freshman and high school with little to no experience with studying. I wanna find out which methods y'all find most helpful/ or enjoyable to use to study for tests and quizzes!
b065060143a532a7052f46bdd08dbeb4dcc5f25d.jpg
@puppypropaganda depends on the class! in general though notes are super helpful, any way to review the stuff taught quickly so that you can remember it. quizlet is always amazing for memorization in classes that rely on that kinda stuff, though for math i would say finding textbook practice does wonders :] for tests, i always enjoy finding one or two people to study with just to relieve the stress of feeling underprepared (if we're failing we're failing together >:J)
@puppypropaganda depends on the class! in general though notes are super helpful, any way to review the stuff taught quickly so that you can remember it. quizlet is always amazing for memorization in classes that rely on that kinda stuff, though for math i would say finding textbook practice does wonders :] for tests, i always enjoy finding one or two people to study with just to relieve the stress of feeling underprepared (if we're failing we're failing together >:J)
kimchi | she/her | foxes | fr+3 ________clouddancer.png
I usually make a Quizlet (if there isn’t already one) using the information I got from class—notes, sometimes homework if it’s relevant—for the classes like history and science. For math, I agree that doing practice problems (they’re usually in the back of the book, I think?) would be fine. English varies—if you’re being tested on literature, then Quizlet should help, but it might be different if you’re tested on grammar/writing at some point (that would be just memorization and luck, in my experience; I had a grammar book with practices in it, but I’m not sure what the norm is).
I usually make a Quizlet (if there isn’t already one) using the information I got from class—notes, sometimes homework if it’s relevant—for the classes like history and science. For math, I agree that doing practice problems (they’re usually in the back of the book, I think?) would be fine. English varies—if you’re being tested on literature, then Quizlet should help, but it might be different if you’re tested on grammar/writing at some point (that would be just memorization and luck, in my experience; I had a grammar book with practices in it, but I’m not sure what the norm is).
qv9W79E.png aaaaw3fPTiE.png
I think Blooket is pretty useful, it's a sort of Kahoot-like review game site. It's pretty fun making quizzes on it.
I think Blooket is pretty useful, it's a sort of Kahoot-like review game site. It's pretty fun making quizzes on it.
Tobias | He/Him | Fiesta de Muertos and The Flying Trapeze (100 hatchling challenges)
Regarding forum games, please only select dragons who have familiars - those are the permanent residents of my lair. Feel free to look through the hibernal den, too
Memorization worked well for me. It's been a minute since I took a class without powerpoint slides, but do the readings before class and make your own notes or questions then during class make notes about what the teacher says that is added to the material.

Ask questions. The teacher is there to teach and they can't help you if they don't know what you need help with. Most teachers I've known are happy to clarify things for you so that you understand better as long as you pay attention in class, do the work, and ask politely. Whether you do this in class, a quick question between classes, or by email or such, is probably something to work out between yourself and the teacher. You also don't want to fall behind because some classes are heavy into the building on former class topics stuff.

Organize your notes as you take them. I had trouble with this for a while and it helped to put the date and main topic on them before putting them in a binder. Also, if the teacher says something will be on the test or to pay more attention to a certain topic, you can mark it out with a star in your notes.

Keep a small calendar of due dates and test dates so that they don't sneak up on you and you have time to work on it. There's nothing worse than realizing that you forgot about something and have to scramble to get it done. Making a study schedule will also help you avoid a situation where you might be tempted to pull an all nighter or at least a late nighter. My sibling did this in college and when she sat down for the test forgot everything she'd studied the night prior.
Memorization worked well for me. It's been a minute since I took a class without powerpoint slides, but do the readings before class and make your own notes or questions then during class make notes about what the teacher says that is added to the material.

Ask questions. The teacher is there to teach and they can't help you if they don't know what you need help with. Most teachers I've known are happy to clarify things for you so that you understand better as long as you pay attention in class, do the work, and ask politely. Whether you do this in class, a quick question between classes, or by email or such, is probably something to work out between yourself and the teacher. You also don't want to fall behind because some classes are heavy into the building on former class topics stuff.

Organize your notes as you take them. I had trouble with this for a while and it helped to put the date and main topic on them before putting them in a binder. Also, if the teacher says something will be on the test or to pay more attention to a certain topic, you can mark it out with a star in your notes.

Keep a small calendar of due dates and test dates so that they don't sneak up on you and you have time to work on it. There's nothing worse than realizing that you forgot about something and have to scramble to get it done. Making a study schedule will also help you avoid a situation where you might be tempted to pull an all nighter or at least a late nighter. My sibling did this in college and when she sat down for the test forgot everything she'd studied the night prior.
I'm in the same boat and still figuring out what works best for revision as well so I recommend trying out a load of different methods and altering them to suit your needs.
  1. Spider diagrams to memorize passages of legal texts (if you'd like a photo example let me know). I figure out the buzzwords and key phrases and learn that then let my brain join the dots from there.
  2. Note: with legal text make sure you understand what the text is saying. I've been told a common mistake in my course is people are expected to quote a rule book word for word but don't learn what it actually means.
  3. Quick reference guides/Checklists for learning sequences/lists. Works best if I can simplify the process as much as possible. I can only take in short chunks of info which makes learning lists and longer sequences Pain but this is generally a pretty good workaround.
  4. Teaching material to a friend with no relevant experience in the subject (forces me to simplify, if they can understand it after we're done talking about it my knowledge is pretty solid. If both of us end up more confused I have more work to do and need to try again. It also helps find knowledge gaps because they tend to ask me awkward questions that forces me to read into the thing more).
    I personally don't find discussing this with people who know the topic to be terribly helpful since I've found they can often get impatient and get annoyed at you as if you should know the entire thing by heart already but you may find it helps more than talking to someone with no experience.
  5. Class Kahoots! and similar games with friends were really good for finding knowledge gaps and it was a fun way to do it. If more than 80% of the class got the question wrong or if we generally did badly on a Kahoot! the prof would put in extra sessions on the subject to help then we'd try again.
  6. Flashcards for learning simple things and definitions.
  7. For math based topics I re-write longer formulas with rule notes (if any) each time I do a practice question to help memorize it.
    It's Pain and honestly I kinda hate it but I haven't found any other effective ways to memorize long-winded math with rules that must be done in a set sequence yet.
  8. Noting what I get wrong in mock papers and revision questions. Especially if it's consistent it's a pretty good indicator of problem areas that need more time spent revising.
  9. For notes I like to keep as concise and simple as possible and down to 1 page of A5 if I can. This sometimes takes a few sessions of condensing and making sure I can still understand my notes but also re-writing notes to make them more effective can also help me as well. This one is very dependent on if I have the time or spoons though.
  10. If I ask questions whilst I'm reading notes I write these down to follow up on in class/office hours and add the answers to my noteset.

Things I found really helpful in general come exam time:
  • Know minimum pass for the exam, aim for a little higher so you can still comfortably pass even if you mess up or have to skip some questions.
  • Set a target grade to help focus revisions (first semester my graded classes were 50% minimum pass and I had target of 80% pass).
  • Find out minimum amount of points you need to score to hit that grade, this enables targeted revision.
  • Ask for the big mark questions (wouldn't recommend relying on these but being able to do a good chunk of them even with mistakes carried forward really helped boost my grade above my goal). In some of my classes if we could get 2 big mark questions right we were already at minimum pass and just needed to be able to answer a few smaller questions to comfortably pass the module.
  • Also ask for questions guaranteed to come up in exams.
  • Know how long you can study for before you mentally shut down and info stops going in. I can't do more than 2 hours in one hit before English stops making sense but some folks can spend the whole day revising no problem.
I'm in the same boat and still figuring out what works best for revision as well so I recommend trying out a load of different methods and altering them to suit your needs.
  1. Spider diagrams to memorize passages of legal texts (if you'd like a photo example let me know). I figure out the buzzwords and key phrases and learn that then let my brain join the dots from there.
  2. Note: with legal text make sure you understand what the text is saying. I've been told a common mistake in my course is people are expected to quote a rule book word for word but don't learn what it actually means.
  3. Quick reference guides/Checklists for learning sequences/lists. Works best if I can simplify the process as much as possible. I can only take in short chunks of info which makes learning lists and longer sequences Pain but this is generally a pretty good workaround.
  4. Teaching material to a friend with no relevant experience in the subject (forces me to simplify, if they can understand it after we're done talking about it my knowledge is pretty solid. If both of us end up more confused I have more work to do and need to try again. It also helps find knowledge gaps because they tend to ask me awkward questions that forces me to read into the thing more).
    I personally don't find discussing this with people who know the topic to be terribly helpful since I've found they can often get impatient and get annoyed at you as if you should know the entire thing by heart already but you may find it helps more than talking to someone with no experience.
  5. Class Kahoots! and similar games with friends were really good for finding knowledge gaps and it was a fun way to do it. If more than 80% of the class got the question wrong or if we generally did badly on a Kahoot! the prof would put in extra sessions on the subject to help then we'd try again.
  6. Flashcards for learning simple things and definitions.
  7. For math based topics I re-write longer formulas with rule notes (if any) each time I do a practice question to help memorize it.
    It's Pain and honestly I kinda hate it but I haven't found any other effective ways to memorize long-winded math with rules that must be done in a set sequence yet.
  8. Noting what I get wrong in mock papers and revision questions. Especially if it's consistent it's a pretty good indicator of problem areas that need more time spent revising.
  9. For notes I like to keep as concise and simple as possible and down to 1 page of A5 if I can. This sometimes takes a few sessions of condensing and making sure I can still understand my notes but also re-writing notes to make them more effective can also help me as well. This one is very dependent on if I have the time or spoons though.
  10. If I ask questions whilst I'm reading notes I write these down to follow up on in class/office hours and add the answers to my noteset.

Things I found really helpful in general come exam time:
  • Know minimum pass for the exam, aim for a little higher so you can still comfortably pass even if you mess up or have to skip some questions.
  • Set a target grade to help focus revisions (first semester my graded classes were 50% minimum pass and I had target of 80% pass).
  • Find out minimum amount of points you need to score to hit that grade, this enables targeted revision.
  • Ask for the big mark questions (wouldn't recommend relying on these but being able to do a good chunk of them even with mistakes carried forward really helped boost my grade above my goal). In some of my classes if we could get 2 big mark questions right we were already at minimum pass and just needed to be able to answer a few smaller questions to comfortably pass the module.
  • Also ask for questions guaranteed to come up in exams.
  • Know how long you can study for before you mentally shut down and info stops going in. I can't do more than 2 hours in one hit before English stops making sense but some folks can spend the whole day revising no problem.
tumblr_pquf5x7lT91soemy4_250.png 27 / ISTJ / NB / FR+8

I draw things!
Toyhouse
Tumblr
Twitter
Services Offering:
Coli grinding & fodder leveling
i find writing/typing out everything you know is effective. bigger emphasis on writing since you get more muscle memory that way, but it depends on the class medium and comfort level.

never miss a study guide provided by the teacher, it almost guarantees a great grade if you complete it correctly.

i absolutely love khan academy. since you're in high school, it's definitely the best time to use it because it's geared towards high schoolers for the most part.
i find writing/typing out everything you know is effective. bigger emphasis on writing since you get more muscle memory that way, but it depends on the class medium and comfort level.

never miss a study guide provided by the teacher, it almost guarantees a great grade if you complete it correctly.

i absolutely love khan academy. since you're in high school, it's definitely the best time to use it because it's geared towards high schoolers for the most part.
divider_by_yesirukey-dbok0z5.pngdivider_by_yesirukey-dbok0z5.png