Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Are Dinosaurs archeology?
1 2 3 4
I'm glad someone already said this, because it was bugging me too. Archaeology is a subfield of anthropology (the study of humans), with archaeology being the study of the human past by way of material culture. To translate this to FR, archaeology would be the study of dragon past and dragon culture of the past, not just a catch-all "everything (pre)historical". In that way I think that the analogy with human ancestors makes sense, but I don't think it fits into the world lore of the dragons being created by the deities.

I think the most likely reason isn't world inconsistency but the fact that archaeology is often conflated with paleontology and aspects of geology, lol. It's honestly a bit disappointing because I think it'd be cool if the game was actually about finding artifacts from past dragon cultures.
I'm glad someone already said this, because it was bugging me too. Archaeology is a subfield of anthropology (the study of humans), with archaeology being the study of the human past by way of material culture. To translate this to FR, archaeology would be the study of dragon past and dragon culture of the past, not just a catch-all "everything (pre)historical". In that way I think that the analogy with human ancestors makes sense, but I don't think it fits into the world lore of the dragons being created by the deities.

I think the most likely reason isn't world inconsistency but the fact that archaeology is often conflated with paleontology and aspects of geology, lol. It's honestly a bit disappointing because I think it'd be cool if the game was actually about finding artifacts from past dragon cultures.
I was super confused about this too haha. People are saying it's for alliteration but... they didn't have to name him Arlo?? They could have named him a P name. Am I missing something lol
(like.. Pablo's Paleontology idk lol)

Feels weird thinking about my in-lore archaeologist participating in this activity because that's what the site calls it, when my paleontologist is right there...
I was super confused about this too haha. People are saying it's for alliteration but... they didn't have to name him Arlo?? They could have named him a P name. Am I missing something lol
(like.. Pablo's Paleontology idk lol)

Feels weird thinking about my in-lore archaeologist participating in this activity because that's what the site calls it, when my paleontologist is right there...
Always seeking dragons with interesting colors, Buying thread Stock the Pond! Breeding Challenge
he/him
twenties
mentally ill
about me / FAQ
clan lore
arcane flight
pings ok
FR Time +3
Fandragons tab
Pastel Goth Imperial Hatchery, Selling thread Secondhand Dragons for sale, selling thread
It's actually Parlo's Partifacts, but the P is silent, like in Pterodactyl.

From a non-joke standpoint, I wonder if the familiars we're digging up are other familiar's ancestors? They (dinosaurs) may not be a dragon's ancestor, but they could certainly be beast-clan ancestors. In fact, because beastclans have sentience, it might describe why Arlo does Archaeology (study of artifacts, architecture, culture, etc.) rather than strictly Paleontology (using fossils to explain environment).

Another thing is that Paleontology strictly excludes humans - but we know humans (or at least, human-like/structured) things existed on Sornieth during the Second Age. Perhaps Arlo is really interested in studying them/Sornieth history alongside whatever else is dug up. (:
It's actually Parlo's Partifacts, but the P is silent, like in Pterodactyl.

From a non-joke standpoint, I wonder if the familiars we're digging up are other familiar's ancestors? They (dinosaurs) may not be a dragon's ancestor, but they could certainly be beast-clan ancestors. In fact, because beastclans have sentience, it might describe why Arlo does Archaeology (study of artifacts, architecture, culture, etc.) rather than strictly Paleontology (using fossils to explain environment).

Another thing is that Paleontology strictly excludes humans - but we know humans (or at least, human-like/structured) things existed on Sornieth during the Second Age. Perhaps Arlo is really interested in studying them/Sornieth history alongside whatever else is dug up. (:
6uaN3MO.png kiNdaIf.png
fidelitas ad familiam. fidelitas ad Matriarch.
a multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical company located in the center of the light district.
I mean, dinosaurs are only the first thing we're getting from Arlo, I highly doubt it's going to be the only thing. As much as I'd love more paleo inspired stuff I also want other more archeo inspired stuff as well.
I mean, dinosaurs are only the first thing we're getting from Arlo, I highly doubt it's going to be the only thing. As much as I'd love more paleo inspired stuff I also want other more archeo inspired stuff as well.
As someone who works in archaeology, I must confess this is my pet peeve. No, we're not digging up dinosaurs. But I can show you some really nice Neolithic pot.
As someone who works in archaeology, I must confess this is my pet peeve. No, we're not digging up dinosaurs. But I can show you some really nice Neolithic pot.
We wanted to have the potential to theme dig sites after ancient life, ancient beastclan civilizations, or ancient dragon artifacts. So it was hard to do a catch-all term since each dig site will have its own theme. We are aware that as things stand, it should be something more like "Pebble's Precious Paleontology" with the current dig site being the only one here. ;-) Or maybe something like "Dwight's Delightful Digs".
We wanted to have the potential to theme dig sites after ancient life, ancient beastclan civilizations, or ancient dragon artifacts. So it was hard to do a catch-all term since each dig site will have its own theme. We are aware that as things stand, it should be something more like "Pebble's Precious Paleontology" with the current dig site being the only one here. ;-) Or maybe something like "Dwight's Delightful Digs".
[quote name="Undel" date="2022-02-09 15:57:29" ] We wanted to have the potential to theme dig sites after ancient life, ancient beastclan civilizations, or ancient dragon artifacts. So it was hard to do a catch-all term since each dig site will have its own theme. We are aware that as things stand, it should be something more like "Pebble's Precious Paleontology" with the current dig site being the only one here. ;-) Or maybe something like "Dwight's Delightful Digs". [/quote] awww those would be such cute names for arlo's siblings!
Undel wrote on 2022-02-09 15:57:29:
awww those would be such cute names for arlo's siblings!
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
[quote name="corndog" date="2022-02-09 15:59:41" ] [quote name="Undel" date="2022-02-09 15:57:29" ] We wanted to have the potential to theme dig sites after ancient life, ancient beastclan civilizations, or ancient dragon artifacts. So it was hard to do a catch-all term since each dig site will have its own theme. We are aware that as things stand, it should be something more like "Pebble's Precious Paleontology" with the current dig site being the only one here. ;-) Or maybe something like "Dwight's Delightful Digs". [/quote] awww those would be such cute names for arlo's siblings! [/quote] A dragon named Dwight is the funniest thing imaginable I can't believe we don't have this.
corndog wrote on 2022-02-09 15:59:41:
A dragon named Dwight is the funniest thing imaginable I can't believe we don't have this.
uCR5SCW.png
[quote name="corndog" date="2022-02-09 15:59:41" ] [quote name="Undel" date="2022-02-09 15:57:29" ] We wanted to have the potential to theme dig sites after ancient life, ancient beastclan civilizations, or ancient dragon artifacts. So it was hard to do a catch-all term since each dig site will have its own theme. We are aware that as things stand, it should be something more like "Pebble's Precious Paleontology" with the current dig site being the only one here. ;-) Or maybe something like "Dwight's Delightful Digs". [/quote] awww those would be such cute names for arlo's siblings! [/quote] As an owner of a dragon to be permabab'd and is already named Pebble, I too enjoy the idea of Arlo having a sibling named Pebble, adorable to bits! xD
corndog wrote on 2022-02-09 15:59:41:
As an owner of a dragon to be permabab'd and is already named Pebble, I too enjoy the idea of Arlo having a sibling named Pebble, adorable to bits! xD
Always buying
Abyss/Gloom/X
Gen Ones.
Feel free to PM 8.png
wsTw09i.png
*Wishlist
*Art Shop
*Adoptables
*Skins/Accents
3R1xnew.pnglq7TbRo.png
[quote name="Undel" date="2022-02-09 15:57:29" ] We wanted to have the potential to theme dig sites after ancient life, ancient beastclan civilizations, or ancient dragon artifacts. So it was hard to do a catch-all term since each dig site will have its own theme. We are aware that as things stand, it should be something more like "Pebble's Precious Paleontology" with the current dig site being the only one here. ;-) Or maybe something like "Dwight's Delightful Digs". [/quote] nice. i'm looking forward to other ancient civilization stuff and not just dinos things. :>

nice. i'm looking forward to other ancient civilization stuff and not just dinos things. :>
is very likely to take your posts literally - has difficulty discerning if tone is joking
1 2 3 4