Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Underrated or Not-Well-Known Books
1 2 3 4 5 6
Maybe talked about a lot decades ago but not much nowadays: the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy.

Incredible high fantasy series. Also mysteriously very similar to GoT. Personally I think George R.R. Martin did steal a good few ideas and scenes from this series, as he's claimed the author as one of his inspirations. It did make me really angry reading it just because of how many things were taken but there's enough different that it's not strictly the same, and it's also devoid of the uh... extreme graphic scenes that make GoT.

Maybe talked about a lot decades ago but not much nowadays: the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy.

Incredible high fantasy series. Also mysteriously very similar to GoT. Personally I think George R.R. Martin did steal a good few ideas and scenes from this series, as he's claimed the author as one of his inspirations. It did make me really angry reading it just because of how many things were taken but there's enough different that it's not strictly the same, and it's also devoid of the uh... extreme graphic scenes that make GoT.

Heart.gif
i know wolves of the beyond was already mentioned but ya'll p l e a s e read it it's so good

also, not sure if this counts as underatted but the Endling series by Katherine Applegate, i have all 3 books i love it it's amazing. it's about a young Dairne (dog-sugar glider people that can sense lies) named Byx who's pack is killed by the Murdano's army. she is kidnapped but also sorta saved by Khara, a human girl. Byx also meets Tobble, a sailor Wobbyk (three tailed bilby people) and later on, Gambler, the felivet (big cat). together they must stop the Murdano from killing every governing species and taking over the world. very good go check it out
i know wolves of the beyond was already mentioned but ya'll p l e a s e read it it's so good

also, not sure if this counts as underatted but the Endling series by Katherine Applegate, i have all 3 books i love it it's amazing. it's about a young Dairne (dog-sugar glider people that can sense lies) named Byx who's pack is killed by the Murdano's army. she is kidnapped but also sorta saved by Khara, a human girl. Byx also meets Tobble, a sailor Wobbyk (three tailed bilby people) and later on, Gambler, the felivet (big cat). together they must stop the Murdano from killing every governing species and taking over the world. very good go check it out
beware of spelling errord, my keyboard is broken and my hands finemotor skills are too.
please click on my creatures, thanks
Lab Profile
The 100 Year-old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared! it's very hard for me to describe, so I'll just write jot notes for it ghsjk -historical fiction -protagonist is an (arguably asexual) swedish man named Alan Carlson -has two main plotlines: one about his shenanigans as a centenarian, and the other about his life up until now (2003) -you know how in forrest gump, forrest kept on accidentally getting involved in major historical events? it's like that but less US-centric I really like it for mainly one reason: it's kind of a feel-good?? Like, it doesn't really have moments where you're like "oh my god, what if the bad guys win?". Not that important things don't happen, it's just that they're treated far less dramatically, and I really like that. You never finish a chapter feeling drained. I also like that it kinda doesn't really tell you how you're supposed to feel about the characters, it just tells you who they are, and what they're doing. I never really care who I'm [i]supposed[/i] to like in a book anyway; I just pick my favourites regardless of their role in the story. It's nice that this book doesn't try to force me to like or dislike the characters. The villains aren't completely reprehensible monsters, and the heroes aren't pure-hearted and just. They're all just people. If you're in the market for a low-key historical fiction that somehow has a very light-hearted tone despite involving multiple world wars, I recommend giving this a go! Content warning for historically-typical violence, intolerance (not by the main character), minor character death (one of which is a cat [emoji=spiral sad size=1]), swearing, and implied/referenced uh... law & order svu type violence ([b]Nothing actually happens though, in regards to that last one, everyone ends up fine.[/b])
The 100 Year-old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared!

it's very hard for me to describe, so I'll just write jot notes for it ghsjk

-historical fiction
-protagonist is an (arguably asexual) swedish man named Alan Carlson
-has two main plotlines: one about his shenanigans as a centenarian, and the other about his life up until now (2003)
-you know how in forrest gump, forrest kept on accidentally getting involved in major historical events? it's like that but less US-centric

I really like it for mainly one reason: it's kind of a feel-good?? Like, it doesn't really have moments where you're like "oh my god, what if the bad guys win?". Not that important things don't happen, it's just that they're treated far less dramatically, and I really like that. You never finish a chapter feeling drained.

I also like that it kinda doesn't really tell you how you're supposed to feel about the characters, it just tells you who they are, and what they're doing. I never really care who I'm supposed to like in a book anyway; I just pick my favourites regardless of their role in the story. It's nice that this book doesn't try to force me to like or dislike the characters. The villains aren't completely reprehensible monsters, and the heroes aren't pure-hearted and just. They're all just people.

If you're in the market for a low-key historical fiction that somehow has a very light-hearted tone despite involving multiple world wars, I recommend giving this a go!

Content warning for historically-typical violence, intolerance (not by the main character), minor character death (one of which is a cat ), swearing, and implied/referenced uh... law & order svu type violence (Nothing actually happens though, in regards to that last one, everyone ends up fine.)
nTa2yPT.png
Seconding temeraire!! Also Septimus Heap
Seconding temeraire!! Also Septimus Heap
kXpNHpy.pngplagueshieldr.png99zjGkK.pngzSvfhTP.pngshadowshieldl.pngK3S42IV.png
Ansible by Stant Litore. In the 25th century, islamic psychics cast their mind into the universe to any time and place to say greetings to the life there. Everyone is pretty much without a way to psychically communicate back. This eventually turns into a whoopsie when they willingly give the worst thing in the universe the location of humanity (like seriously, this is Lavos if there was many more than one and they could eat humanity at any time in history). This has a bit of a "lore barrier" for most in the world due to being very middle-east, but it also gives it a distinct flavor that keeps you reading after a couple of lookups.

This is hard as heck to look up in google and probably why it's not well-known. So I'm going to put up a link. You can get it on amazon for your kindle, but the writer has an itch.io that I just found and that will make them the most money: https://stantlitore.itch.io/ansible-omnibus
Ansible by Stant Litore. In the 25th century, islamic psychics cast their mind into the universe to any time and place to say greetings to the life there. Everyone is pretty much without a way to psychically communicate back. This eventually turns into a whoopsie when they willingly give the worst thing in the universe the location of humanity (like seriously, this is Lavos if there was many more than one and they could eat humanity at any time in history). This has a bit of a "lore barrier" for most in the world due to being very middle-east, but it also gives it a distinct flavor that keeps you reading after a couple of lookups.

This is hard as heck to look up in google and probably why it's not well-known. So I'm going to put up a link. You can get it on amazon for your kindle, but the writer has an itch.io that I just found and that will make them the most money: https://stantlitore.itch.io/ansible-omnibus
My writing project.
Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao just came out and it's amazing.
I haven't meet anyone who has read the Silverwing series.
And the humble little book Jonathan Livingston Seagull.
Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao just came out and it's amazing.
And the humble little book Jonathan Livingston Seagull.
[quote name="DreamingReality" date="2022-02-01 15:06:45" ] I haven't meet anyone who has read the Silverwing series. [/quote] @DreamingReality Well, now you have. Hi! Haven't read the prequel yet, but the triology might be the first proper xenofiction books I read, a subgenre I still hold dear. Do you know if the prequel is any good? If so, it's getting on my imaginary to-do list.
DreamingReality wrote on 2022-02-01 15:06:45:

@DreamingReality

Well, now you have. Hi! Haven't read the prequel yet, but the triology might be the first proper xenofiction books I read, a subgenre I still hold dear.
Do you know if the prequel is any good? If so, it's getting on my imaginary to-do list.
@Xionahri I have yet to get my hands on Darkwing. I read the trilogy while I was in middle school but I haven't found those books since. I want to though!
@Xionahri I have yet to get my hands on Darkwing. I read the trilogy while I was in middle school but I haven't found those books since. I want to though!
@DreamingReality

If you don't mind digital books, it exists in epub form. https://www.kobo.com/at/de/ebook/darkwing

For physical, I like the website thriftbooks, which, as the name suggests, resells used books. Shipping costs may be a bit high depending where you live.
Currently, they appear to have a whole bunch of Darkwing copies: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/darkwing_kenneth-oppel/357703/?resultid=62e9c89e-c598-4e97-b119-96cef914bd0b#edition=4756808&idiq=7691862
@DreamingReality

If you don't mind digital books, it exists in epub form. https://www.kobo.com/at/de/ebook/darkwing

For physical, I like the website thriftbooks, which, as the name suggests, resells used books. Shipping costs may be a bit high depending where you live.
Currently, they appear to have a whole bunch of Darkwing copies: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/darkwing_kenneth-oppel/357703/?resultid=62e9c89e-c598-4e97-b119-96cef914bd0b#edition=4756808&idiq=7691862
Definitely Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn.

It's a pretty good book and hella immersive. Wouldn't recommend to dyslexic people though- it gets pretty chaotic, and was somewhat of a difficult read for me even though I am a strong reader.
Definitely Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn.

It's a pretty good book and hella immersive. Wouldn't recommend to dyslexic people though- it gets pretty chaotic, and was somewhat of a difficult read for me even though I am a strong reader.
Please ping me if you are replying to me. This can be done by adding an @ to my name in the quote’s code.

I *was* going to have an art shop, but my tablet broke. Yay.
1 2 3 4 5 6