Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Movies you hate but everyone else loves?
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
@Voltalis
Yeah, my short attention span doesn't help. If a movie is going to be long, it'd better keep me entertained the entire time. I really thought I'd like Interstellar more because I love space as well, guess it just didn't work for me.

Thank you for respecting my opinion, some people get really defensive about movies lol.
@Voltalis
Yeah, my short attention span doesn't help. If a movie is going to be long, it'd better keep me entertained the entire time. I really thought I'd like Interstellar more because I love space as well, guess it just didn't work for me.

Thank you for respecting my opinion, some people get really defensive about movies lol.
wsC9LP4.jpg
The superhero genre as a whole and Star Wars.
The superhero genre as a whole and Star Wars.
91ed98a566760064815b2177269fd040183d3986.png
A whole lot of series actually. Harry Potter, Star Wars, any superhero movie and most Disney 3D films.
A whole lot of series actually. Harry Potter, Star Wars, any superhero movie and most Disney 3D films.

One day, will these too become but distant memories?
. . .
Yes, in the blink of an eye.

I loved Interstellar and James Cameron’s Avatar. It was so good, but by golly do people love to hate on em!
I loved Interstellar and James Cameron’s Avatar. It was so good, but by golly do people love to hate on em!
comm_yaeshon.png
disney has been putting out some real clunkers. marvel universe and animated
disney has been putting out some real clunkers. marvel universe and animated
21556.png

◊ they/them
◊ 28
◊ FR+2
"Hate" is probably too strong a word to apply to this movie, since there are things about it that I really appreciate, even today, and since I haven't kept track in recent years, I have no idea what people nowadays think about it.

Even today, I fail to grasp the (at least, initial, if it's not still ongoing) hype around Guillermo Del Toro's The Shape of Water.

Worth mentioning that it's not like I've got a bone to pick with all of Guillermo's movies or anything; I absolutely adore Pan's Labyrinth with all my heart and I've seen enough of The Devil's Backbone and enjoyed it that I really want to go back to it and finally watch all the way to the end.

But aside from the acting, which is admittedly stellar, and the overall atmosphere, I just cannot get into The Shape of Water's story. I've seen it twice and aside from three or four key scenes it has just never clicked with me. I'm all about fantasy worlds and willing to let my suspension of disbelief guide me through a lot of them, but this one just didn't sell me on it enough, I guess. Again, there's things to be praised for sure, but the story's just the kind of strange that did not resonate with me in any meaningful way beyond the social plights of the main two human characters. The last half/third of the movie especially lost me in a lot of places.

I dunno, I guess I've just seen this basic "misunderstood person/creature befriends/falls in love with social outcast" concept done better, I guess, and I think the ambiguity around the main misunderstood creature in question didn't do it too many favors either. I'd just as soon have watched a movie that was just about Elisa and Giles, quite honestly; I cared 100,000 times more about them than I did the Amphibian dude.

If anyone else wants to let me know their thoughts, however, feel free; I've not heard any discourse around the movie as of late and if you enjoy it I'd love to know why.
"Hate" is probably too strong a word to apply to this movie, since there are things about it that I really appreciate, even today, and since I haven't kept track in recent years, I have no idea what people nowadays think about it.

Even today, I fail to grasp the (at least, initial, if it's not still ongoing) hype around Guillermo Del Toro's The Shape of Water.

Worth mentioning that it's not like I've got a bone to pick with all of Guillermo's movies or anything; I absolutely adore Pan's Labyrinth with all my heart and I've seen enough of The Devil's Backbone and enjoyed it that I really want to go back to it and finally watch all the way to the end.

But aside from the acting, which is admittedly stellar, and the overall atmosphere, I just cannot get into The Shape of Water's story. I've seen it twice and aside from three or four key scenes it has just never clicked with me. I'm all about fantasy worlds and willing to let my suspension of disbelief guide me through a lot of them, but this one just didn't sell me on it enough, I guess. Again, there's things to be praised for sure, but the story's just the kind of strange that did not resonate with me in any meaningful way beyond the social plights of the main two human characters. The last half/third of the movie especially lost me in a lot of places.

I dunno, I guess I've just seen this basic "misunderstood person/creature befriends/falls in love with social outcast" concept done better, I guess, and I think the ambiguity around the main misunderstood creature in question didn't do it too many favors either. I'd just as soon have watched a movie that was just about Elisa and Giles, quite honestly; I cared 100,000 times more about them than I did the Amphibian dude.

If anyone else wants to let me know their thoughts, however, feel free; I've not heard any discourse around the movie as of late and if you enjoy it I'd love to know why.
"But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.

This I did."

[quote name="Heart" date="2022-01-09 23:09:21" ] A Nightmare Before Christmas. People adore that movie and I fully expected to like it too but I just found it really boring and horrible to look at? I just must have awful taste because I've never met someone that hates it as well XD [/quote] [center][color=brown]SO MUCH THIS. Never got the hype around it, at all. I feel like everyone loves it orz. Some of the designs are...cool I guess? It's sad because I love creepy stuff like that. I actually don't like Tim Burton movies, lol. [i]Caroline [/i]was [i]okay[/i]. I am going to add [i]Elf [/i]to the list. I absolutely dislike it. [i]Halloween [/i]was boring as heck - me and my friend talked through it all. Not worth the weird following, imo.
Heart wrote on 2022-01-09 23:09:21:
A Nightmare Before Christmas.

People adore that movie and I fully expected to like it too but I just found it really boring and horrible to look at? I just must have awful taste because I've never met someone that hates it as well XD
SO MUCH THIS.

Never got the hype around it, at all. I feel like everyone loves it orz. Some of the designs are...cool I guess? It's sad because I love creepy stuff like that. I actually don't like Tim Burton movies, lol. Caroline was okay.

I am going to add Elf to the list. I absolutely dislike it. Halloween was boring as heck - me and my friend talked through it all. Not worth the weird following, imo.
Honestly, I don't watch anything other than horror movies (and the occasional animated movie but shhh, you heard nothing). The other genres just don't... catch my interest? Action movies are all the same, especially since Marvel essentially has a stranglehold on the genre. Romance movies all end the same, in love or tragedy-- and don't even get me started on lifetime. Though, I do like blockbusters and sci-fi flicks-- The Silence of the Lambs and Aliens are some of my favorite movies (I'd love to have a cat names Clarisse someday...).

So, there's my answer I guess. Whenever I want to watch a movie, horror is my go-to genre, and that seldom changes.
Honestly, I don't watch anything other than horror movies (and the occasional animated movie but shhh, you heard nothing). The other genres just don't... catch my interest? Action movies are all the same, especially since Marvel essentially has a stranglehold on the genre. Romance movies all end the same, in love or tragedy-- and don't even get me started on lifetime. Though, I do like blockbusters and sci-fi flicks-- The Silence of the Lambs and Aliens are some of my favorite movies (I'd love to have a cat names Clarisse someday...).

So, there's my answer I guess. Whenever I want to watch a movie, horror is my go-to genre, and that seldom changes.
T7Qk8Sh.pngBVq8q9P.pngtj85yjR.pngnGvTyg3.pngAf2FgF8.png
any modern disney movie after tangled (maybe zootopia) are so unappealing and boring for me, and it sucks because it looks like pixar has been putting out some meh's too.
any modern disney movie after tangled (maybe zootopia) are so unappealing and boring for me, and it sucks because it looks like pixar has been putting out some meh's too.
97vOhSz.png
I got plenty enough to keep an entire city powered for a few years. I'll list a few.
You can look at me like I'm crazy all you want to- it will only make me more powerful.

Frozen (This seems to be hated by a lot more people than I thought. Actually never seen it, but I hate everything about it. Also doesn't help I have a toxic person tied to this movie, so I like to avoid it at all costs.)
Encanto
Across the Universe
Free Guy
The Eternals
Underwater
Star Wars (Not a fan of the franchise overall. Also have a toxic person tied to this)
District 9
Ready Player One
LOTR (Maybe not HATE, but I'm just not into it and can't see myself get into it)
Jurassic World series (Not the Jurassic Park franchise. Jurassic World. There IS a difference)
Kung Fu Panda 3
How to Train your Dragon 3
In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (Okay, I'll be real. The only person who I met who LOVED this movie is toxic- same one who liked Frozen. I actually did not know this film is regarded as one of the worst 100 movies ever made! Doesn't fit the post well, but I had to mention it.)

Edit:// Included an additional sentence for clarity
I got plenty enough to keep an entire city powered for a few years. I'll list a few.
You can look at me like I'm crazy all you want to- it will only make me more powerful.

Frozen (This seems to be hated by a lot more people than I thought. Actually never seen it, but I hate everything about it. Also doesn't help I have a toxic person tied to this movie, so I like to avoid it at all costs.)
Encanto
Across the Universe
Free Guy
The Eternals
Underwater
Star Wars (Not a fan of the franchise overall. Also have a toxic person tied to this)
District 9
Ready Player One
LOTR (Maybe not HATE, but I'm just not into it and can't see myself get into it)
Jurassic World series (Not the Jurassic Park franchise. Jurassic World. There IS a difference)
Kung Fu Panda 3
How to Train your Dragon 3
In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (Okay, I'll be real. The only person who I met who LOVED this movie is toxic- same one who liked Frozen. I actually did not know this film is regarded as one of the worst 100 movies ever made! Doesn't fit the post well, but I had to mention it.)

Edit:// Included an additional sentence for clarity
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11