Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Increase the value of bred dragons
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
No support. I choose to not breed most of my dragons because having children is just not part of their lore. Plus, the idea of my OCs having children frankly makes me uncomfortable. Honestly I just don't agree that breeding is "the point" of this game and the devs have to somehow coerce the player base into using this feature.
No support. I choose to not breed most of my dragons because having children is just not part of their lore. Plus, the idea of my OCs having children frankly makes me uncomfortable. Honestly I just don't agree that breeding is "the point" of this game and the devs have to somehow coerce the player base into using this feature.
My dragons' names are 2-3 separate words. Please put spaces between them!!!
hRPcGnh.jpg
I could understand the offspring getting inheritable traits, but I don't see why the parents should get some sort of bonus after breeding. Especially if it's not even based on strategy, but rather just "the more offspring, the more bonuses." All we'd have to do is continuously throw dragons on a nest.

Getting a skill bonus, extra gene slot, etc., would provide a functional difference to the dragon rather than just possibly increase the market value or collectability. There is currently no gameplay benefit to breeding a specific dragon, vs. not breeding them, and to change it after all this time would be unfair to those that don't breed their dragons (we now do get event items from nesting and hatching, but at least that can be done with any dragon. It doesn't have to affect dragons players wish to leave unbred.)

I also wouldn't call the desirability of unbred dragons to be a "weird obsession." Players are always going to find unique things in a pet sim to collect. Is it weird to collect older dragons? Dragons that have lower digits or G1s? The collectability of those characteristics was likely not intended by the game makers either, but they're things some players place more value on.

I love my breeding projects, but I don't think a feature like this would be fair to the overall playerbase.

I could understand the offspring getting inheritable traits, but I don't see why the parents should get some sort of bonus after breeding. Especially if it's not even based on strategy, but rather just "the more offspring, the more bonuses." All we'd have to do is continuously throw dragons on a nest.

Getting a skill bonus, extra gene slot, etc., would provide a functional difference to the dragon rather than just possibly increase the market value or collectability. There is currently no gameplay benefit to breeding a specific dragon, vs. not breeding them, and to change it after all this time would be unfair to those that don't breed their dragons (we now do get event items from nesting and hatching, but at least that can be done with any dragon. It doesn't have to affect dragons players wish to leave unbred.)

I also wouldn't call the desirability of unbred dragons to be a "weird obsession." Players are always going to find unique things in a pet sim to collect. Is it weird to collect older dragons? Dragons that have lower digits or G1s? The collectability of those characteristics was likely not intended by the game makers either, but they're things some players place more value on.

I love my breeding projects, but I don't think a feature like this would be fair to the overall playerbase.

I usually don't comment on threads like this, but "weird obsession with virginal dragons" is getting to me so okay.

People who play video games have always wanted exclusivity. They like having goals to work for, either self-imposed or externally. Dragons are very easy to breed, and impossible to "unbreed." In the early days of the site, breeding dragons was incredibly valuable because there were so few of them, and the earliest ones were mostly from randomly-generated g1s and progens, which meant random color combos abounded and breeding in a specific range was harder. XXX was a big deal back then.

But that was like, seventy-five million dragons ago. XXX and other pretty color combos are easy to breed and cheap to obtain, so the playerbase has shifted its values to other things. The very thing that made old dragons valuable is now tanking their value, because unbred oldies are so hard to find. Finding new, unbred dragons in the color combos you want is the "hard thing to do", which spikes their value.

Until you find a way to make breeding an achievable goal as a "hard thing to do" (and people already have pretty much as much as they can with breeding projects for specific colors or song lyrics or whatever), bred dragons won't be more valuable than unbred ones. Adding special values and genes will only frustrate players with rng who do breed, and frustrate players who won't breed that can't. This is even before getting into the issue of how much breeding will grant you the chance of whatever bonuses you suggest. Would this be retroactively applied to dragons who are already heavily bred? What about people who do wanna breed their dragons, but only once or twice for lore? It seems like a mess, no support.
I usually don't comment on threads like this, but "weird obsession with virginal dragons" is getting to me so okay.

People who play video games have always wanted exclusivity. They like having goals to work for, either self-imposed or externally. Dragons are very easy to breed, and impossible to "unbreed." In the early days of the site, breeding dragons was incredibly valuable because there were so few of them, and the earliest ones were mostly from randomly-generated g1s and progens, which meant random color combos abounded and breeding in a specific range was harder. XXX was a big deal back then.

But that was like, seventy-five million dragons ago. XXX and other pretty color combos are easy to breed and cheap to obtain, so the playerbase has shifted its values to other things. The very thing that made old dragons valuable is now tanking their value, because unbred oldies are so hard to find. Finding new, unbred dragons in the color combos you want is the "hard thing to do", which spikes their value.

Until you find a way to make breeding an achievable goal as a "hard thing to do" (and people already have pretty much as much as they can with breeding projects for specific colors or song lyrics or whatever), bred dragons won't be more valuable than unbred ones. Adding special values and genes will only frustrate players with rng who do breed, and frustrate players who won't breed that can't. This is even before getting into the issue of how much breeding will grant you the chance of whatever bonuses you suggest. Would this be retroactively applied to dragons who are already heavily bred? What about people who do wanna breed their dragons, but only once or twice for lore? It seems like a mess, no support.
yomi.gif • +0 fr time
• they/them
Its not a terrible idea, but it has many flaws that were stated by others.
Its not a terrible idea, but it has many flaws that were stated by others.
ew9u8Xp.png
the only possible "inheritable" trait I can see being passed down to a dragon's offspring is the battle stats, but as someone pointed out that'd break the little balance we have in coli and not everyone uses coli either...

not a bad suggestion just not really workable in any way, least not that I can think off
the only possible "inheritable" trait I can see being passed down to a dragon's offspring is the battle stats, but as someone pointed out that'd break the little balance we have in coli and not everyone uses coli either...

not a bad suggestion just not really workable in any way, least not that I can think off
DVcXRyP.png
G1 Lair owner chiming in: Also no support.

I see you've clarified that you didn't mean to offend, and since this is a breeding sim, there does seem to be a huge lack of ability to actually profit off a hatchery, but uh...

We don't have a weird obsession with unbred dragons; there is no odd morality to it, and I think applying human ideas to it is just the wrong way to go about it.

I like completely clean offspring lists, and that's all. I have dragons I breed for fodder exalting, but my G1s and permas are unbred. And also will never be for sale. I don't hatch eggs because I'd rather get gems to spend on G1s that are already what I was looking for.

So, I'm not even participating in the machine that made unbred dragons more valuable. Yet, I still prefer unbred G1s. I WISH they weren't more valuable, LOL, because adding newbies to my lair is quite expensive.

G1 Lair owner chiming in: Also no support.

I see you've clarified that you didn't mean to offend, and since this is a breeding sim, there does seem to be a huge lack of ability to actually profit off a hatchery, but uh...

We don't have a weird obsession with unbred dragons; there is no odd morality to it, and I think applying human ideas to it is just the wrong way to go about it.

I like completely clean offspring lists, and that's all. I have dragons I breed for fodder exalting, but my G1s and permas are unbred. And also will never be for sale. I don't hatch eggs because I'd rather get gems to spend on G1s that are already what I was looking for.

So, I'm not even participating in the machine that made unbred dragons more valuable. Yet, I still prefer unbred G1s. I WISH they weren't more valuable, LOL, because adding newbies to my lair is quite expensive.

nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
No support. This is definitely pushing one style of play over others, not to mention that staff gets almost no say in how dragons are priced. It’s entirely subjective and based on supply and demand from the player base and this is just a Bad idea overall
No support. This is definitely pushing one style of play over others, not to mention that staff gets almost no say in how dragons are priced. It’s entirely subjective and based on supply and demand from the player base and this is just a Bad idea overall
[quote name="RedWillia" date="2022-01-11 08:17:43" ] I personally find it morally wrong to apply the concept of virginity and/or implications of someone's worth depending on sexual experience to fictional dragons because it cheapens these real-life issues. [/quote] I mean yes but people do it anyway, whether it’s a “purity” idea or just an “aesthetic” one for the name list. Which I agree, can come off with weird optics but the fact is that there’s a market with demand for unbred dragons (Wait, I think I wasn’t responding to the word “cheapen” but rather an idea of “being insensitive to a concept that has hurt real people”)
RedWillia wrote on 2022-01-11 08:17:43:
I personally find it morally wrong to apply the concept of virginity and/or implications of someone's worth depending on sexual experience to fictional dragons because it cheapens these real-life issues.
I mean yes but people do it anyway, whether it’s a “purity” idea or just an “aesthetic” one for the name list. Which I agree, can come off with weird optics but the fact is that there’s a market with demand for unbred dragons

(Wait, I think I wasn’t responding to the word “cheapen” but rather an idea of “being insensitive to a concept that has hurt real people”)
Hmm it's kinda cool, but I hate the idea of it being limited to only bred dragons. I don't do alot of breeding and like the look of the blank offspring list, especially on g1s. If I wanted another specialty gene and need to breed the dragon for it that would suck.

No support if it's only for bred dragons.
Hmm it's kinda cool, but I hate the idea of it being limited to only bred dragons. I don't do alot of breeding and like the look of the blank offspring list, especially on g1s. If I wanted another specialty gene and need to breed the dragon for it that would suck.

No support if it's only for bred dragons.
FObX7rS.png WQA384m.png
hh5n4WA.png WvEXipG.pngA6Pqy3l.png
What about permababies? It'd be expensive to un-youth them, breed them to get bonuses, and turn them back. Unless having permababs is the wrong way to play?

What about breeding luck? Some dragons would unlock bonuses much faster by getting 5 eggs vs ones getting wegged. I can't imagine that going over well.

FR just isn't built right to implement this kind of thing, also for the reasons others already listed. It would need to be intended from the start so players know what to expect and aren't blindsided by the site suddenly sanctioning some virtual dragons as more valuable (or having more potential to be valuable, which translates to the same thing) than the rest.
What about permababies? It'd be expensive to un-youth them, breed them to get bonuses, and turn them back. Unless having permababs is the wrong way to play?

What about breeding luck? Some dragons would unlock bonuses much faster by getting 5 eggs vs ones getting wegged. I can't imagine that going over well.

FR just isn't built right to implement this kind of thing, also for the reasons others already listed. It would need to be intended from the start so players know what to expect and aren't blindsided by the site suddenly sanctioning some virtual dragons as more valuable (or having more potential to be valuable, which translates to the same thing) than the rest.
The most beautiful moment of life
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8