Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Dragon breed suggestion - Wrathflights!
1 2
No support because it sounds like a lot of things we already have, but sorry people are being rude to you over it OP.
No support because it sounds like a lot of things we already have, but sorry people are being rude to you over it OP.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2021-08-30 05:18:12" ] I'd like to see another word than "flight" in the species' names. The word Flight already has significant meaning on FR. Not just in meaning Flight Rising but also in the 1 of 11 flights that we join. I feel dragon species shouldn't double down on an already significantly used on-site term. [/quote] I didn't think of it that way. In fact, I tried to come up with any name that would fit. This is actually still a draft, so the description is not very detailed. I don't mind changing this name to another if you have a better idea. [quote name="TeaTenda" date="2021-08-30 14:20:35" ] Seconding statements by other users, particularly the sentiments that the breed you're describing sounds way too generic and remarkably similar to pre-existing breeds, particularly Banescales and Guardians. I also have to take a very firm stance against any more dragon breeds being made intrinsically more violent than other types of dragons. Having a "race" (a term you used yourself to describe the dragon breeds) of sentient people in a setting be intrinsically, biologically more pre-disposed to violence or bad behavior than other 'races' or groups in the same setting is awful writing. It easily leads to bio-essentialism and the idea that attempts by other breeds to "control" this breed because of their "natural violent tendencies" would be justified. And I won't bother going in to depth with it but your definition of dragon being based entirely in the modern Western dragon actually reveals you know very little about the history of dragon myth in general, including Western dragons, who often came in forms unlike what you describe. Depicted below, some Western Dragons: [img]https://i.imgur.com/bouuhHa.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/lZqKrDC.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/swpfQhH.png[/img] And I bring this up if just for that fact that I believe on a site like Flight Rising, where dragon breed releases happen very infrequently. It's important for each breed to have an immediately distinguishable visual identity or inspiration. There's so much variety in actual Western dragon myth to choose from, and the standard FR breed is already a slightly modified modern Western dragon, with Guardians being one of the single most generic modern Western dragons ever drawn by anyone, quite frankly (and I say this as someone who does very much like Guardians). While I'm not opposed to another modern Western dragon type breed, it needs something extra, like currently unused myth or animal inspiration, to distinguish it from other breeds. [/quote] Can you forgive yourself these suggestions about contemporary racism etc? I personally see nothing wrong with the word "race", but for your information, I used the google translator for this text, and although I checked it before posting it, I might have missed something. This was a loose outline of the Wrathflights personality anyway, I thought it would be nice to have dragons behaving a bit closer to what we know from Western dragon legends (we don't have princesses to kidnap here, but you know what I mean). I'm sure the developers could significantly expand their character. And I happen to know quite a lot about western dragons. I read a lot of books about them and watch art. I just like their most widespread image the most. The dragons presented in the photos could not be introduced into the game anyway, because the developers have determined that the dragons from Flight Rising must have four legs and wings (Banescale breaks this rule, but it's the developers' will). [quote name="AvalonSanctuary" date="2021-08-30 14:37:40" ] [quote name="Magicalus" date="2021-08-29 09:52:52" ] Sorry I don't have any picture... I can't draw dragons. If any of you want to visualize Wrathflights, I won't mind ;) [/quote] Do not ask people to draw your OCs. You pay them commissions if they don't want to give fanart of a non-existent thing. [emoji=gaoler deadpan size=2] [/quote] Wrathflights are not my OC. OC is short for Original Character, which I understand means a single character, not an entire genre. And I don't ask people to draw for me, I just wrote that if they want, they can do it, because I can't do it myself. I never beg for art, I only make requests when someone is accepting requests for free art. [quote name="Tserin" date="2021-08-31 17:20:26" ] No support because it sounds like a lot of things we already have, but sorry people are being rude to you over it OP. [/quote] I understand your point of view. This is just an early idea, and I'm sure if Wrathflights were to be introduced to the game, official artists could modify their design to make it look more original. And thank you for the kind words.
gemajgall wrote on 2021-08-30 05:18:12:
I'd like to see another word than "flight" in the species' names. The word Flight already has significant meaning on FR. Not just in meaning Flight Rising but also in the 1 of 11 flights that we join. I feel dragon species shouldn't double down on an already significantly used on-site term.
I didn't think of it that way. In fact, I tried to come up with any name that would fit. This is actually still a draft, so the description is not very detailed. I don't mind changing this name to another if you have a better idea.
TeaTenda wrote on 2021-08-30 14:20:35:
Seconding statements by other users, particularly the sentiments that the breed you're describing sounds way too generic and remarkably similar to pre-existing breeds, particularly Banescales and Guardians.

I also have to take a very firm stance against any more dragon breeds being made intrinsically more violent than other types of dragons. Having a "race" (a term you used yourself to describe the dragon breeds) of sentient people in a setting be intrinsically, biologically more pre-disposed to violence or bad behavior than other 'races' or groups in the same setting is awful writing. It easily leads to bio-essentialism and the idea that attempts by other breeds to "control" this breed because of their "natural violent tendencies" would be justified.

And I won't bother going in to depth with it but your definition of dragon being based entirely in the modern Western dragon actually reveals you know very little about the history of dragon myth in general, including Western dragons, who often came in forms unlike what you describe.

Depicted below, some Western Dragons:
bouuhHa.jpg
lZqKrDC.jpg
swpfQhH.png

And I bring this up if just for that fact that I believe on a site like Flight Rising, where dragon breed releases happen very infrequently. It's important for each breed to have an immediately distinguishable visual identity or inspiration. There's so much variety in actual Western dragon myth to choose from, and the standard FR breed is already a slightly modified modern Western dragon, with Guardians being one of the single most generic modern Western dragons ever drawn by anyone, quite frankly (and I say this as someone who does very much like Guardians). While I'm not opposed to another modern Western dragon type breed, it needs something extra, like currently unused myth or animal inspiration, to distinguish it from other breeds.
Can you forgive yourself these suggestions about contemporary racism etc? I personally see nothing wrong with the word "race", but for your information, I used the google translator for this text, and although I checked it before posting it, I might have missed something.
This was a loose outline of the Wrathflights personality anyway, I thought it would be nice to have dragons behaving a bit closer to what we know from Western dragon legends (we don't have princesses to kidnap here, but you know what I mean). I'm sure the developers could significantly expand their character.

And I happen to know quite a lot about western dragons. I read a lot of books about them and watch art. I just like their most widespread image the most. The dragons presented in the photos could not be introduced into the game anyway, because the developers have determined that the dragons from Flight Rising must have four legs and wings (Banescale breaks this rule, but it's the developers' will).
AvalonSanctuary wrote on 2021-08-30 14:37:40:
Magicalus wrote on 2021-08-29 09:52:52:
Sorry I don't have any picture... I can't draw dragons. If any of you want to visualize Wrathflights, I won't mind ;)
Do not ask people to draw your OCs. You pay them commissions if they don't want to give fanart of a non-existent thing.
Wrathflights are not my OC. OC is short for Original Character, which I understand means a single character, not an entire genre. And I don't ask people to draw for me, I just wrote that if they want, they can do it, because I can't do it myself. I never beg for art, I only make requests when someone is accepting requests for free art.
Tserin wrote on 2021-08-31 17:20:26:
I understand your point of view. This is just an early idea, and I'm sure if Wrathflights were to be introduced to the game, official artists could modify their design to make it look more original. And thank you for the kind words.
This world will burn...
@Magicalus

I actually have no opinion on the actual breed, but just wanted to let you know that the dragons in the images could be introduced as Ancients, which banescale are.

Ancients are breeds that are meant to 'break the mold' of the four limbs, 1 tail, 1 head, 2 wings that moderns have.

It is just rather unfortunate coincidence that only one of them actually does break the mold (banescales). The next dragon hinted at looks like it is going to have 2 heads, and a more unusual body shape.
@Magicalus

I actually have no opinion on the actual breed, but just wanted to let you know that the dragons in the images could be introduced as Ancients, which banescale are.

Ancients are breeds that are meant to 'break the mold' of the four limbs, 1 tail, 1 head, 2 wings that moderns have.

It is just rather unfortunate coincidence that only one of them actually does break the mold (banescales). The next dragon hinted at looks like it is going to have 2 heads, and a more unusual body shape.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-09-01 13:04:45" ] @Magicalus I actually have no opinion on the actual breed, but just wanted to let you know that the dragons in the images could be introduced as Ancients, which banescale are. Ancients are breeds that are meant to 'break the mold' of the four limbs, 1 tail, 1 head, 2 wings that moderns have. It is just rather unfortunate coincidence that only one of them actually does break the mold (banescales). The next dragon hinted at looks like it is going to have 2 heads, and a more unusual body shape. [/quote] I understand. I don't know much about the principles about adding breeds to the game. I just focus on culturing my dragons and that's it.
Jemadar wrote on 2021-09-01 13:04:45:
@Magicalus

I understand. I don't know much about the principles about adding breeds to the game. I just focus on culturing my dragons and that's it.
This world will burn...
[quote name="Magicalus" date="2021-09-01 13:09:40" ] ... I understand. I don't know much about the principles about adding breeds to the game. I just focus on culturing my dragons and that's it. [/quote] @Magicalus, since I'm not sure if the quote will ping you One of the major principles of this website's dragon design is that each dragon should be visually fresh and unique (which is part of the reason why there was such a kerfluffle about Obelisks being somewhat similar to Tundras). From your description in the OP, your design honestly sounds like a Guardian with different lore. Can you tell us what would make them different from Guardians (or Banescales) visually?
Magicalus wrote on 2021-09-01 13:09:40:
I understand. I don't know much about the principles about adding breeds to the game. I just focus on culturing my dragons and that's it.
@Magicalus, since I'm not sure if the quote will ping you

One of the major principles of this website's dragon design is that each dragon should be visually fresh and unique (which is part of the reason why there was such a kerfluffle about Obelisks being somewhat similar to Tundras). From your description in the OP, your design honestly sounds like a Guardian with different lore. Can you tell us what would make them different from Guardians (or Banescales) visually?
An Ice emblem on a background made of ice and lava. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground.An Ice emblem on a background of ice shaped like a Christmas ornament. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground."An
no support, we already have guardians and banescales.
no support, we already have guardians and banescales.
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
[quote name="FliptheFrog" date="2021-09-01 19:51:21" ] [quote name="Magicalus" date="2021-09-01 13:09:40" ] ... I understand. I don't know much about the principles about adding breeds to the game. I just focus on culturing my dragons and that's it. [/quote] @Magicalus, since I'm not sure if the quote will ping you One of the major principles of this website's dragon design is that each dragon should be visually fresh and unique (which is part of the reason why there was such a kerfluffle about Obelisks being somewhat similar to Tundras). From your description in the OP, your design honestly sounds like a Guardian with different lore. Can you tell us what would make them different from Guardians (or Banescales) visually? [/quote] Tail tip and body structure. More slender than the Guardians, with a long neck and tail, and proportional feet, and very large wings. I also think their forepaws might have five toes, because from what I think Guardians have four (and an extra thumb is always handy). Their spikes on the back would not be as long as on the Banescales. And I don't think their teeth would stick out of their closed jaws, as is seen in the Guardians and Banescales. Besides, they would have extra growths growing out of the jaw (maybe a bit like those in [url=https://www.deviantart.com/tatianamakeeva/art/Saphira-634251566]Tatiana Makeeva's picture of Saphira[/url]?). Besides, I'm sure the creators would be able to draw them in such a way that they have, for example, the shape of a head completely different from the Guardians and Banescales, and also add other details to them that would make them unique. It is just a loose concept, not a ready project, it would definitely require a lot of changes.
FliptheFrog wrote on 2021-09-01 19:51:21:
Magicalus wrote on 2021-09-01 13:09:40:
@Magicalus, since I'm not sure if the quote will ping you

One of the major principles of this website's dragon design is that each dragon should be visually fresh and unique (which is part of the reason why there was such a kerfluffle about Obelisks being somewhat similar to Tundras). From your description in the OP, your design honestly sounds like a Guardian with different lore. Can you tell us what would make them different from Guardians (or Banescales) visually?
Tail tip and body structure. More slender than the Guardians, with a long neck and tail, and proportional feet, and very large wings. I also think their forepaws might have five toes, because from what I think Guardians have four (and an extra thumb is always handy). Their spikes on the back would not be as long as on the Banescales. And I don't think their teeth would stick out of their closed jaws, as is seen in the Guardians and Banescales. Besides, they would have extra growths growing out of the jaw (maybe a bit like those in Tatiana Makeeva's picture of Saphira?). Besides, I'm sure the creators would be able to draw them in such a way that they have, for example, the shape of a head completely different from the Guardians and Banescales, and also add other details to them that would make them unique. It is just a loose concept, not a ready project, it would definitely require a lot of changes.
This world will burn...
1 2