Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | what are you reading? (book suggestions)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
as the title states :D im looking for things to read, and im sure many other people are too!

feel free to post what you're reading, look through or suggest something!
the more diverse the genres, the better!

personally i'd like to suggest:
-Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit by John Douglas
-A Secret History by Donna Tartt
-The Elegance of the Hedgehog Muriel Barbery

edit 7/11/21: i just finished The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchinson...
it was quite disturbing to say the least! 10/10 would suggest for anyone who is interested in crime/horror, but beware, there are some sensitive topics
as the title states :D im looking for things to read, and im sure many other people are too!

feel free to post what you're reading, look through or suggest something!
the more diverse the genres, the better!

personally i'd like to suggest:
-Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit by John Douglas
-A Secret History by Donna Tartt
-The Elegance of the Hedgehog Muriel Barbery

edit 7/11/21: i just finished The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchinson...
it was quite disturbing to say the least! 10/10 would suggest for anyone who is interested in crime/horror, but beware, there are some sensitive topics

blue | +2 FRT
casual love

raffle
pm me to be friends!
xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
16471.png
Im currently reading Lore, although its taking a while to get in to and some of my favourites are Six of Crows and The Gilded Ones
Im currently reading Lore, although its taking a while to get in to and some of my favourites are Six of Crows and The Gilded Ones
Currently reading New Frontier - Excalibur: Restoration, by Peter David.
It's the 11th book in the New Frontier series, and the third and final book as basically the second season of the series. Still got a bunch more to look forward to!

It's a great series, really captures the feel of a main Star Trek series, without having all to much to do with current Star Trek canon, instead sorta spinning it's own wheels. As such, I don't think you need to know much about the TV series to get into it. Could be a great starting point.
And Peter David's writing style is great. Interesting characters that each have their own feel to them, and cool stories. Also, he absolutly nails humour, the series made me laugh multiple times. Balances it well with other emotions, too.

Would recommend, even for someone who doesn't have much prior experience with Trek, but likes scifi-adventures.
Currently reading New Frontier - Excalibur: Restoration, by Peter David.
It's the 11th book in the New Frontier series, and the third and final book as basically the second season of the series. Still got a bunch more to look forward to!

It's a great series, really captures the feel of a main Star Trek series, without having all to much to do with current Star Trek canon, instead sorta spinning it's own wheels. As such, I don't think you need to know much about the TV series to get into it. Could be a great starting point.
And Peter David's writing style is great. Interesting characters that each have their own feel to them, and cool stories. Also, he absolutly nails humour, the series made me laugh multiple times. Balances it well with other emotions, too.

Would recommend, even for someone who doesn't have much prior experience with Trek, but likes scifi-adventures.
I'm currently reading Gone Girl, not exactly a deep cut.

I'd recommend The Bad Daughter by Joy Fielding if you like a mix of crime and family drama. Gave me some Haunting of Hill House vibes, it's not horror - it does both well.
I'm currently reading Gone Girl, not exactly a deep cut.

I'd recommend The Bad Daughter by Joy Fielding if you like a mix of crime and family drama. Gave me some Haunting of Hill House vibes, it's not horror - it does both well.
ytkEBod.pngJkqGYr7.pngvZmPWxA.pnga129Nss.pngAQPJNOh.png5hF3FGk.png
Currently im reading the Shadowhunter series, specifically the The Dark Artifacts series (re reading). but the trilogy The Seven Realms is good too (the dragon heir, grey wolf throne, and exiled queen). A singular short book that i love is also a good one: "see you in the cosmos". And anything stephen king. Also, the book Willful Machines is also good.
Currently im reading the Shadowhunter series, specifically the The Dark Artifacts series (re reading). but the trilogy The Seven Realms is good too (the dragon heir, grey wolf throne, and exiled queen). A singular short book that i love is also a good one: "see you in the cosmos". And anything stephen king. Also, the book Willful Machines is also good.
754FFF91-4E22-46B4-BC8F-0DF6C76E370E.png
I started reading The Glass Menagerie today. Enjoying it so far, I'll wait 'till I finish to form a more developed opinion
I started reading The Glass Menagerie today. Enjoying it so far, I'll wait 'till I finish to form a more developed opinion
"Darkness still fell upon the cliff and the horn of the new moon vanished in the end behind the window of the wall as into a long-feared shelter in the Earth rich with the frames humility of God's memory and reflections. The stars in the sky shivered as they crawled once more up the fantastic ladder and into the void of themselves. They wondered whose turn would be next to fall from the sky as the last ghost of the crew had died and they alone were left to frame Christ's tree and home."
I just started reading Lore and Daughter of Sparta. As you can see, I'm in the ancient Greece/Sparta type of mood that I have to read two of them at the same time... It might not be a good idea, but I'm doing it anyway. I will have an opinion once I've read them further.
I just started reading Lore and Daughter of Sparta. As you can see, I'm in the ancient Greece/Sparta type of mood that I have to read two of them at the same time... It might not be a good idea, but I'm doing it anyway. I will have an opinion once I've read them further.
I'm rereading Wicked Fox by Kat Cho. It's a YA novel and I just like it a lot
I'm rereading Wicked Fox by Kat Cho. It's a YA novel and I just like it a lot
PPbwVvH.png
I'm currently kinda reading Winter's Orbit although I don't really recommend it unless you can easily keep up with intergalactic politics, because I certainly can't.
Past books that I have read that I do recommend, however, are
  • The Song of Achilles
  • Carry the Ocean
The Song of Achilles is just about Achilles life story from the POV of his lover Patroclus.

Carry the Ocean is just about two men, one autistic and one with depression, falling in love and trying to make it work (there is a sequel to it as well but I don't care for it as much)

And in case anybody was wondering, Winter's Orbit is basically just about this guy's husband recently died but in order to keep the balance of... something... in order he has to get remarried right away. I'm not really sure, it's a lot. You'd have to look it up to read the book summary yourself because I just don't remember.

Also if anybody has any recommendations for lesbian romance novels with a happy ending please please ping me in this thread with your suggestions (bonus points if one of the main characters is disabled, I love me some rep)
I'm currently kinda reading Winter's Orbit although I don't really recommend it unless you can easily keep up with intergalactic politics, because I certainly can't.
Past books that I have read that I do recommend, however, are
  • The Song of Achilles
  • Carry the Ocean
The Song of Achilles is just about Achilles life story from the POV of his lover Patroclus.

Carry the Ocean is just about two men, one autistic and one with depression, falling in love and trying to make it work (there is a sequel to it as well but I don't care for it as much)

And in case anybody was wondering, Winter's Orbit is basically just about this guy's husband recently died but in order to keep the balance of... something... in order he has to get remarried right away. I'm not really sure, it's a lot. You'd have to look it up to read the book summary yourself because I just don't remember.

Also if anybody has any recommendations for lesbian romance novels with a happy ending please please ping me in this thread with your suggestions (bonus points if one of the main characters is disabled, I love me some rep)
NSZvCod.png
OxagJgG.png
mlHpBMC.png
WvtW9EF.png
i just finished "the butterfly garden" by dot hutchinson

it was a ride, and it definitely disturbed me. i would definitely recommend though i wouldn't recommend to those who are sensitive to sexual and abusive topics, the whole concept of the garden though was something i found strangely beautiful, if that makes any sense. nothing weird though bahaha, i feel like its a beauty entirely different than what the gardener intended.
i just finished "the butterfly garden" by dot hutchinson

it was a ride, and it definitely disturbed me. i would definitely recommend though i wouldn't recommend to those who are sensitive to sexual and abusive topics, the whole concept of the garden though was something i found strangely beautiful, if that makes any sense. nothing weird though bahaha, i feel like its a beauty entirely different than what the gardener intended.

blue | +2 FRT
casual love

raffle
pm me to be friends!
xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
16471.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7