Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Winter Tundras?
1 2 3
I may very well be wrong, because I'm tired and don't want to try fact-checking tonight, but I thought I heard somewhere that the male pose is actually a Tundra's winter form..?
I may very well be wrong, because I'm tired and don't want to try fact-checking tonight, but I thought I heard somewhere that the male pose is actually a Tundra's winter form..?
sculkquest.pngIconx100t.png
I wish we could have the option of winter coat Tundras, or atleast get some official art of them!
I wish we could have the option of winter coat Tundras, or atleast get some official art of them!
60218142.png
[quote name="FrozenShade" date="2021-06-15 18:35:43" ] I have my collection of [url=https://caliginousarchitect.tumblr.com/post/646418799844818944/a-while-back-we-had-an-inspiration-to-draw-a-naked]assorted tundra appearances[/url] here's the winter one: [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/716942592800981032/854535217419386900/tundra-floff2.png[/img] bonus fluffy, blow-dried winter tun: [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/440be72fac995a3e85a09e1254e0058b/f1c8ef844d0f354c-d1/s1280x1920/f21ddec34ec296c1ca7585338c183d10d84e1bde.png[/img] ,,, why does it break,,, o`-o image why ,,, let's try a different image url for it ... success! [/quote] I love how the blow-dried one looks so much like a Gaoler.
FrozenShade wrote on 2021-06-15 18:35:43:
I have my collection of assorted tundra appearances
here's the winter one:
tundra-floff2.png

bonus fluffy, blow-dried winter tun:
f21ddec34ec296c1ca7585338c183d10d84e1bde.png

,,, why does it break,,, o`-o image why
,,, let's try a different image url for it
... success!
I love how the blow-dried one looks so much like a Gaoler.
  • Tender/Vulture
  • FR+3
  • She/They
  • Actual Turkey Vulture
XxqDwGq.png
SWAMP BIOME PLAGUE 4 LYFE, BABEY!!!
[quote name="Decres" date="2021-06-15 18:49:56" ] [quote name="Wizardry" date="2021-06-15 18:30:29" ] Could this art be a winter coat? It’s snowy but the dragon isn’t SUPER fluffy [img] https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0602/6961/products/Snow-Day_11x17_copy_600x600.png[/img] [/quote] I think the concept of a winter coat tundra was kind of forgotten about based on this- which is fine! I think the concept was just written for tundra descriptions and forgotten about [/quote] I'm pretty sure it's not actually winter in that picture, it's just summer in the southern icefield. Winter in the southern icefield is probably impossibly freezing (being an ice god's backyard and all) which would explain why even an ice-aligned tundra would sometimes need to get even fluffier than they already are just to survive.
Decres wrote on 2021-06-15 18:49:56:
Wizardry wrote on 2021-06-15 18:30:29:
Could this art be a winter coat? It’s snowy but the dragon isn’t SUPER fluffy
Snow-Day_11x17_copy_600x600.png
I think the concept of a winter coat tundra was kind of forgotten about based on this- which is fine! I think the concept was just written for tundra descriptions and forgotten about
I'm pretty sure it's not actually winter in that picture, it's just summer in the southern icefield. Winter in the southern icefield is probably impossibly freezing (being an ice god's backyard and all) which would explain why even an ice-aligned tundra would sometimes need to get even fluffier than they already are just to survive.
[quote name="Dragonfruiteen" date="2021-06-15 18:53:08" ] I may very well be wrong, because I'm tired and don't want to try fact-checking tonight, but I thought I heard somewhere that the male pose is actually a Tundra's winter form..? [/quote] Nope! They're both summer coats. At the bottom of their encyclopedia article it says "[i]*The summer coat is pictured at the top of the article and is the coat used as the official breed artwork[/i]." [quote name="Decres" date="2021-06-15 18:49:56" ] [quote name="Wizardry" date="2021-06-15 18:30:29" ] Could this art be a winter coat? It’s snowy but the dragon isn’t SUPER fluffy [img] https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0602/6961/products/Snow-Day_11x17_copy_600x600.png[/img] [/quote] I think the concept of a winter coat tundra was kind of forgotten about based on this- which is fine! I think the concept was just written for tundra descriptions and forgotten about [/quote] I imagine there's always snow somewhere in the Icefields no matter the season so it doesn't necessarily mean its winter! And even so, for merch purposes I'd image they'd want to go with the official image of the breed used onsite even if it doesn't make sense from a lore perspective.
Dragonfruiteen wrote on 2021-06-15 18:53:08:
Nope! They're both summer coats. At the bottom of their encyclopedia article it says
"*The summer coat is pictured at the top of the article and is the coat used as the official breed artwork."

Decres wrote on 2021-06-15 18:49:56:
Wizardry wrote on 2021-06-15 18:30:29:
Could this art be a winter coat? It’s snowy but the dragon isn’t SUPER fluffy
Snow-Day_11x17_copy_600x600.png
I think the concept of a winter coat tundra was kind of forgotten about based on this- which is fine! I think the concept was just written for tundra descriptions and forgotten about
I imagine there's always snow somewhere in the Icefields no matter the season so it doesn't necessarily mean its winter! And even so, for merch purposes I'd image they'd want to go with the official image of the breed used onsite even if it doesn't make sense from a lore perspective.
cg6Ogwx.pngc76891238bc7cd166aeb215c480467c97a9ca8f1.png866GSCw.png
I heard like years ago, somewhere, that the wooly apparel pieces were meant to imitate what a tundra's fur would look like in the winter. I'm not sure if I'm right or not though. ex. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=326708&skin=0&apparel=2853,2848&xt=dressing.png[/img]
I heard like years ago, somewhere, that the wooly apparel pieces were meant to imitate what a tundra's fur would look like in the winter. I'm not sure if I'm right or not though.

ex.

dragon?did=326708&skin=0&apparel=2853,2848&xt=dressing.png
XABZwLO.gif
[quote name="appyrose" date="2021-06-15 19:10:10" ] I heard like years ago, somewhere, that the wooly apparel pieces were meant to imitate what a tundra's fur would look like in the winter. I'm not sure if I'm right or not though. ex. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=326708&skin=0&apparel=2853,2848&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/quote] Maybe, but in this case there would need to be a wing fur piece of the set. (but maybe staff just thought that would be too weird to be an apparel piece for all breeds)
appyrose wrote on 2021-06-15 19:10:10:
I heard like years ago, somewhere, that the wooly apparel pieces were meant to imitate what a tundra's fur would look like in the winter. I'm not sure if I'm right or not though.

ex.

dragon?did=326708&skin=0&apparel=2853,2848&xt=dressing.png

Maybe, but in this case there would need to be a wing fur piece of the set. (but maybe staff just thought that would be too weird to be an apparel piece for all breeds)
I will put something here eventually.
My thanks to everyone who responded. I definitely like the fluffy adopts and other artwork here. Those are about what I pictured a winter tundra to look like. Plus the extra lore thread has some good ideas in it that will be useful for what I have in mind for two of my tuntuns.

The lore ideas I have bouncing inside my head is that two of my dragons are very manipulative b*****d chessmaster types who have a...history they need to hash out before they can more-or-less function as allies. Both of them have a tundra that is extremely loyal to them, to the point they’re willing slaves to the rival chessmasters, willing to do anything asked of them without question. Said tundras are battle mages, masters of many forms of magic and combat. They swiftly develop their own fierce rivalry, competing for dominance over the other. Though how much of that is them responding to their masters’ battles, and how much is due to one being a Plague guy and one being a Nature gal, is hard to tell.

At one point the ‘masters decide to settle an issue by having their tundras fight tooth and claw like a pair of cats until one yields. The winter coat idea was that all that fur would be a pretty good defense against many scratches and bites, blocking the sharp bits enough to keeps the majority of wounds superficial. Of course, cleaning up all that fur afterwards would be a chore....

And after reading the linked lore thread, perhaps these two are throwbacks to the apex predator version, the kind that loves combat a bit too much. And given their respective magic alignments, the magic bites would likely result in a mystic battle of wills to overwhelm each other’s defenses before their own defenses give out.

Have to think about the mechanics of those ideas a bit more before writing them down.
My thanks to everyone who responded. I definitely like the fluffy adopts and other artwork here. Those are about what I pictured a winter tundra to look like. Plus the extra lore thread has some good ideas in it that will be useful for what I have in mind for two of my tuntuns.

The lore ideas I have bouncing inside my head is that two of my dragons are very manipulative b*****d chessmaster types who have a...history they need to hash out before they can more-or-less function as allies. Both of them have a tundra that is extremely loyal to them, to the point they’re willing slaves to the rival chessmasters, willing to do anything asked of them without question. Said tundras are battle mages, masters of many forms of magic and combat. They swiftly develop their own fierce rivalry, competing for dominance over the other. Though how much of that is them responding to their masters’ battles, and how much is due to one being a Plague guy and one being a Nature gal, is hard to tell.

At one point the ‘masters decide to settle an issue by having their tundras fight tooth and claw like a pair of cats until one yields. The winter coat idea was that all that fur would be a pretty good defense against many scratches and bites, blocking the sharp bits enough to keeps the majority of wounds superficial. Of course, cleaning up all that fur afterwards would be a chore....

And after reading the linked lore thread, perhaps these two are throwbacks to the apex predator version, the kind that loves combat a bit too much. And given their respective magic alignments, the magic bites would likely result in a mystic battle of wills to overwhelm each other’s defenses before their own defenses give out.

Have to think about the mechanics of those ideas a bit more before writing them down.
exalt_button_with_price_by_hannahbbug3-db0g85b.gifpAhQwGC.png*ngEefQw.png*tumblr_oferpqhao11vfu9p0o1_100.png*
[img]http://tumblr_oj2e6wqMnl1w18p86o1_250.png «12... 5678 91011»[/img]arcanesparkle.gif*ofLVfJS.pngIoZLPFD.png*jnEX1Pv.png
I think I read somewhere that a tundra's winter coat completely covers the hind legs, neck, wings, and tail, whereas the summer coat depicted in the artwork doesn't fully cover those.
I think I read somewhere that a tundra's winter coat completely covers the hind legs, neck, wings, and tail, whereas the summer coat depicted in the artwork doesn't fully cover those.
They just look like these dudes except with horns and wings: [img]https://i.redd.it/5h3lhai0mwz51.jpg[/img]
They just look like these dudes except with horns and wings:

5h3lhai0mwz51.jpg
cSckuMi.png BqIFphl.png
1 2 3