Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Autistic dragon headcanons!
1 2 3 4
@niceworld Hey there! This is so neat and incredibly inclusive, I love it. I was wondering if I could get a suggestion or two for a dragon of mine who's autistic? My headcanon for her is that she's nonverbal. Do you have any suggestions for other things I should include? [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/55313747][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/553138/55313747_350.png[/img][/url]
@niceworld Hey there! This is so neat and incredibly inclusive, I love it. I was wondering if I could get a suggestion or two for a dragon of mine who's autistic? My headcanon for her is that she's nonverbal. Do you have any suggestions for other things I should include?

55313747_350.png
SVwovDT.png

yWUkzsg.pnglJQFrFF.pngUJGPEbE.png
@MythDancer

Ohhh my gosh, I love her so much! I think her being nonverbal is a really good trait, one of my autistic D&D characters is nonverbal!

For Spookyboo in particular, some autistic traits I think would be interesting to explore would be if she has any special interests (Halloween & trick or treating, possibly costume making, seem to be good contenders for that! Maybe she keeps the Halloween spirit all year long, because she loves it so much?) along with any sensory preferences she has - are there costume materials she always uses, no matter what costume she's wearing, because she loves the texture so much? Are there kinds of candy she just can't stand because of the taste/texture/smell combination, so much that getting one during trick or treating makes her grimace?

I hope these help inspire you, and if you want to talk more, feel free - this is something I have a lot of fun with! :D
@MythDancer

Ohhh my gosh, I love her so much! I think her being nonverbal is a really good trait, one of my autistic D&D characters is nonverbal!

For Spookyboo in particular, some autistic traits I think would be interesting to explore would be if she has any special interests (Halloween & trick or treating, possibly costume making, seem to be good contenders for that! Maybe she keeps the Halloween spirit all year long, because she loves it so much?) along with any sensory preferences she has - are there costume materials she always uses, no matter what costume she's wearing, because she loves the texture so much? Are there kinds of candy she just can't stand because of the taste/texture/smell combination, so much that getting one during trick or treating makes her grimace?

I hope these help inspire you, and if you want to talk more, feel free - this is something I have a lot of fun with! :D
@niceworld Thank you so much for the insight!! I really appreciate it.

I originally planned for her to be hyperfixated on Halloween, but wanted to double check and make sure that was accurate and wouldn't be offensive. She absolutely adores Halloween and gets a lot of comfort from it. Trick or treating is her favorite thing; I kind of want her to go trick or treating to her friends' houses whenever she's having a rough day, just to cheer her up. I really like the sensory suggestion! I can see her liking silky or smooth cloth, but not anything coarse or scratchy.

You're wonderful, thank you so much for the help!!
@niceworld Thank you so much for the insight!! I really appreciate it.

I originally planned for her to be hyperfixated on Halloween, but wanted to double check and make sure that was accurate and wouldn't be offensive. She absolutely adores Halloween and gets a lot of comfort from it. Trick or treating is her favorite thing; I kind of want her to go trick or treating to her friends' houses whenever she's having a rough day, just to cheer her up. I really like the sensory suggestion! I can see her liking silky or smooth cloth, but not anything coarse or scratchy.

You're wonderful, thank you so much for the help!!
SVwovDT.png

yWUkzsg.pnglJQFrFF.pngUJGPEbE.png
@MythDancer

Yeah of course! This is something I love to talk about. It's good you double-checked, there's a lot of good resources out there on how autistic people interact with their special interests - my favorite description is that while a neurotypical person can put their own hobbies on hold when they're stressed so they can rest & recharge, autistic people go to their special interests to rest & recharge, so that little bit about trick or treating when she's had a rough day is very accurate to both what I've heard other people describe, and what I experience personally! :D

Thank you for asking, by the way! Asking people about their own experiences is the best way to write a character, in my opinion, so it means a lot to me that you did your research! ^^
@MythDancer

Yeah of course! This is something I love to talk about. It's good you double-checked, there's a lot of good resources out there on how autistic people interact with their special interests - my favorite description is that while a neurotypical person can put their own hobbies on hold when they're stressed so they can rest & recharge, autistic people go to their special interests to rest & recharge, so that little bit about trick or treating when she's had a rough day is very accurate to both what I've heard other people describe, and what I experience personally! :D

Thank you for asking, by the way! Asking people about their own experiences is the best way to write a character, in my opinion, so it means a lot to me that you did your research! ^^
I like to think at least one fifth of all the dragons on Sornieth are autistic
I like to think at least one fifth of all the dragons on Sornieth are autistic
1b82b988bb765cc205b1929d59a834f02c6e137a.png
bYt72YT.pngLRdLP2V.pngjI9KbMj.pngUdd22Jj.pngQQYyU47.pngJ7D1quC.png
q7KYqlT.pngFObX7rS.pngBzjAkuF.pngTsZSlfa.pngq7KYqlT.png
As someone who is on the spectrum this really made me smile!! I’m for sure using some of these headcanons for a few of my dragons as well!
As someone who is on the spectrum this really made me smile!! I’m for sure using some of these headcanons for a few of my dragons as well!
when i first read the canon fae lore my heart filled up because i immediately thought "oh my god, they're autistic dragons ;o;"
when i first read the canon fae lore my heart filled up because i immediately thought "oh my god, they're autistic dragons ;o;"
previously heavenlyEarth
I love the headcanons for Wildclaws! I'm autistic and my dragonsona is getting gened to be a wildclaw :3
I love the headcanons for Wildclaws! I'm autistic and my dragonsona is getting gened to be a wildclaw :3
!! signature under construction !!
You should add Banescales and Veilspun to this!
You should add Banescales and Veilspun to this!
If it helps, I can imagine for Veilspun, not liking constantly being so close to other veils/less in tune with them, and having trouble hypnotizing due to ut requiring eye contact
If it helps, I can imagine for Veilspun, not liking constantly being so close to other veils/less in tune with them, and having trouble hypnotizing due to ut requiring eye contact
1 2 3 4