Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Autistic dragon headcanons!
1 2 3 4
Basically some stuff I wrote up just for fun! I'm autistic, lots of my dragons are autistic, I want to give them specific symptoms based on their breed! Feel free to use these for your own lore if you'd like! I'm always a fan of more neurodivergent dragons! [quote name="All dragons"]- Intense fixations on specific things (special interests) - Sensory avoidance or sensory seeking (sometimes both - being sensitive to certain sounds/textures/etc. and avoiding some at all costs (bad sensory,) and getting fixated on others (good sensory.)) - Stimming behaviors (commonly wing flapping while not flying, echolalia, plus other breed-specific stim behaviors) - Repetitive or ritualistic behaviors (samefood, needing to take the same path whenever going to/from a certain place, etc.) - Difficulty with change & transition (a common nightmare autistic dragons have is a breed-change scroll being used on them without their consent, and those who do use breed change scrolls on themselves typically need support from their clanmates as to not impulsively buy another to change themself back immediately.)[/quote] [quote name=Bogsneak]- Either completely isolatory (even moreso than the rest of their kind) or oddly social towards strangers. - Fixation on the goo that Baldwin brews (Most Bogsneaks feel uncomfortable around these concoctions) (Note: I headcanon Baldwin as autistic!) - Common stimming behaviors include sticking out tongue repeatedly, tapping claws to make noise.[/quote] [quote name=Coatl]- Feeling little to no connection to the Flamecaller's forge, not understanding other Coatls' instincts to return to Emberglow hearth. - Tendencies to hoard metal, becoming attached to one piece in particular & becoming distraught if it is misplaced/given away. - Common stims include constantly preening their feathers, and hummming even while not trying to communicate, especially to form melodies/tunes (Which can be pleasant for other kinds of dragons, but sound like gibberish to other Coatl.)[/quote] [quote name=Fae]- Difficulties communicating using their crest, exhibiting "traditional" dragon body language & not being monotone like neurotypical Fae. - Particular sensitivity to magic, finding certain magical-charged areas "too loud" with magical potential. - Common stims include becoming distracted by the texture of tree sap while trying to build dens, moving their crest even while they are not meaning to express the emotion related to its movement.[/quote] [quote name=Gaoler]- For Gaolers who have not been breed-changed, fixation on flight, any kind of distraught as to not being able to fly. - Disconnect from all five orders, not understanding the "rules" of their social structure (In some cases, even feeling anger/lashing out at how they must join one of the five orders in order to be respected.) - Common stims include hitting/scraping their antlers frequently, digging holes in the ground for no reason other than to dig.[/quote] [quote name=Guardian]- Anxieties regarding The Search, mainly a very strong attachment to their birth clan, which can give them separation anxiety once they leave. - Ability to choose who or what their charge is, mainly associated with not feeling any kind of pull from The Search at all. - Common stims include stiffening/collapsing their fins repeatedly, pacing around their charge.[/quote] [quote name=Imperial]- Inability to choose just one job/hobby to "perfect," as others in their society tend to do - may become a jack of all trades. - Fixation with death/burying rites, may create their own elaborate rituals/routines to perform at these moments. - Common stims include constantly trimming their mane (more often than typical), wigglin' their whiskers[/quote] [quote name=Mirror]- Hyperempathy (by Mirror standards), may attempt to protect baby animals or other breeds' hatchlings from their neurotypical peers. - Settling down at one lair location, strong dislike for the transition of migration. - Common stims include closing their heat eyes while their light eyes are open, then doing the opposite, as to compare how things look through each, and constantly talking.[/quote] [quote name=Nocturne]- Not mimicking at all - some autistic Nocturnes develop a very strong personality of their own that they can never "turn off." Alternatively, some autistic Nocturnes over-mimic, acting more like a caricature of whichever dragon they're mimicking at the time. - Antisocial tendencies, especially to isolate oneself from other dragons - these Nocturnes are typically the ones who cannot mimic other dragons. - Common stims include hanging upside-down to feel their blood rush, and stims/tics that dragons around them exhibit.[/quote] [quote name=Pearlcatcher]- Disinterest/alienation from Pearlcatcher society - discomfort with gossip/secrets, and typically a preference for the company of other dragon breeds. - Due to processing the world so differently than neurotypical Pearlcatchers, autistic Pearlcatchers typically have larger pearls - they record memories far more often, and their memories are typically more intense. - Common stims include shining their own pearl repeatedly, brushing their mane/tail.[/quote] [quote name=Ridgeback]- Fixation on borrowing only one specific kind of item, typically luxuries they do not need. Most commonly figurines, light fixtures such as lamps, and textured items (furs, rugs, fabric) - Asking before borrowing is also a common sign of a Ridgeback being autistic, which can alienate them from other Ridgebacks, but helps them connect better with dragons of other species. - Common stims include polishing their scales repeatedly, and itching at their spines until it's molting season.[/quote] [quote name=Skydancer]- RIDICULOUS sensitivity with their gem. When around too many other dragons, they pick up on all their emotions, and being around strong magical energies is an even worse feeling. This can cause migraines and sensory overload. - Over-investment in aerial acrobatics/dancing. Most autistic Skydancers prefer this over their traditional role of settling disputes, since the energies of dragons who participate in these displays all work together similarly, thus avoiding mentioned sensory overload. - Common stims include wiggling their antennae, constantly preening their crest.[/quote] [quote name=Snapper]- Moves less than their peers, tends to need more rest to clear their mind. - Aversion to travel in general - the change of it makes them uncomfortable, which can cause autistic Snappers to settle down in one area. These Snappers typically become known as wise sages to other dragons. - Common stims include chewing on things (twigs, rocks, etc.) and breaking stone just for fun with their powerful nails.[/quote] [quote name=Spiral]- Tying itself into pretzels more often than neurotypical peers can be a symptom, but a more noticeable one is an aversion to "spiraling" - these autistic Spirals prefer to be as straightened out as possible. - Most autistic Spirals have a strong aversion to the daylight, since their eyes are very sensitive to light (in order to better hunt during the night.) - Common stims include spiraling (of course,) or stretching all of their 6 wings at once.[/quote] [quote name=Tundra]- Aversion to scents, since the sensory input is so strong. These Tundras tend to have more memory problems due to this, especially regarding determining which dragons they know & which they've never met. - Discomfort with the "friend-again" process, not understanding why they would need to ask questions such as name and other common questions when they could just enjoy each other's company again. - Common stims include burrowing aimlessly, and slamming their tail on the ground repeatedly.[/quote] [quote name=Wildclaw]- Fixation on justice, especially regarding duels. These Wildclaws err on the side of logic, which alienates them from the Wildclaw tradition of fighting to back up one's words. These Wildclaws also tend to point out any cheating or dirty fighting, which also isn't taken well by neurotypical peers. - Alternatively, a preference for the arts, and empathy for artistic work. These Wildclaws tend to attempt salvaging art from past leaders, so that they can be preserved rather than destroyed. - Common stims include repeated sharpening of their claws (which, if done too often, can cause them to break,) and a constant need to run.[/quote] Additionally, some more thoughts on Tundras & stims from [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2749982/2#post_43681596]@/Limey![/url] [quote] I had my own thought on tundras. Some might have excellent memories and are capable of remembering names and faces in order to avoid having to deal with scents. I work with students who are on the spectrum, and I had a young man a few years ago that at the beginning of every school year would re-familiarize himself with teachers and students he hadn't seen since June by going through a process of "Ms./Mr. Name who likes X" (mine was always Supernatural). I can also see swaying back and forth or side to side as a common stim for species that sit still, as well as waving a leg, or even sitting on their haunches to wave both front legs.[/quote] Thanks for reading! :D
Basically some stuff I wrote up just for fun! I'm autistic, lots of my dragons are autistic, I want to give them specific symptoms based on their breed!

Feel free to use these for your own lore if you'd like! I'm always a fan of more neurodivergent dragons!
All dragons wrote:
- Intense fixations on specific things (special interests)
- Sensory avoidance or sensory seeking (sometimes both - being sensitive to certain sounds/textures/etc. and avoiding some at all costs (bad sensory,) and getting fixated on others (good sensory.))
- Stimming behaviors (commonly wing flapping while not flying, echolalia, plus other breed-specific stim behaviors)
- Repetitive or ritualistic behaviors (samefood, needing to take the same path whenever going to/from a certain place, etc.)
- Difficulty with change & transition (a common nightmare autistic dragons have is a breed-change scroll being used on them without their consent, and those who do use breed change scrolls on themselves typically need support from their clanmates as to not impulsively buy another to change themself back immediately.)
Bogsneak wrote:
- Either completely isolatory (even moreso than the rest of their kind) or oddly social towards strangers.
- Fixation on the goo that Baldwin brews (Most Bogsneaks feel uncomfortable around these concoctions) (Note: I headcanon Baldwin as autistic!)
- Common stimming behaviors include sticking out tongue repeatedly, tapping claws to make noise.
Coatl wrote:
- Feeling little to no connection to the Flamecaller's forge, not understanding other Coatls' instincts to return to Emberglow hearth.
- Tendencies to hoard metal, becoming attached to one piece in particular & becoming distraught if it is misplaced/given away.
- Common stims include constantly preening their feathers, and hummming even while not trying to communicate, especially to form melodies/tunes (Which can be pleasant for other kinds of dragons, but sound like gibberish to other Coatl.)
Fae wrote:
- Difficulties communicating using their crest, exhibiting "traditional" dragon body language & not being monotone like neurotypical Fae.
- Particular sensitivity to magic, finding certain magical-charged areas "too loud" with magical potential.
- Common stims include becoming distracted by the texture of tree sap while trying to build dens, moving their crest even while they are not meaning to express the emotion related to its movement.
Gaoler wrote:
- For Gaolers who have not been breed-changed, fixation on flight, any kind of distraught as to not being able to fly.
- Disconnect from all five orders, not understanding the "rules" of their social structure (In some cases, even feeling anger/lashing out at how they must join one of the five orders in order to be respected.)
- Common stims include hitting/scraping their antlers frequently, digging holes in the ground for no reason other than to dig.
Guardian wrote:
- Anxieties regarding The Search, mainly a very strong attachment to their birth clan, which can give them separation anxiety once they leave.
- Ability to choose who or what their charge is, mainly associated with not feeling any kind of pull from The Search at all.
- Common stims include stiffening/collapsing their fins repeatedly, pacing around their charge.
Imperial wrote:
- Inability to choose just one job/hobby to "perfect," as others in their society tend to do - may become a jack of all trades.
- Fixation with death/burying rites, may create their own elaborate rituals/routines to perform at these moments.
- Common stims include constantly trimming their mane (more often than typical), wigglin' their whiskers
Mirror wrote:
- Hyperempathy (by Mirror standards), may attempt to protect baby animals or other breeds' hatchlings from their neurotypical peers.
- Settling down at one lair location, strong dislike for the transition of migration.
- Common stims include closing their heat eyes while their light eyes are open, then doing the opposite, as to compare how things look through each, and constantly talking.
Nocturne wrote:
- Not mimicking at all - some autistic Nocturnes develop a very strong personality of their own that they can never "turn off." Alternatively, some autistic Nocturnes over-mimic, acting more like a caricature of whichever dragon they're mimicking at the time.
- Antisocial tendencies, especially to isolate oneself from other dragons - these Nocturnes are typically the ones who cannot mimic other dragons.
- Common stims include hanging upside-down to feel their blood rush, and stims/tics that dragons around them exhibit.
Pearlcatcher wrote:
- Disinterest/alienation from Pearlcatcher society - discomfort with gossip/secrets, and typically a preference for the company of other dragon breeds.
- Due to processing the world so differently than neurotypical Pearlcatchers, autistic Pearlcatchers typically have larger pearls - they record memories far more often, and their memories are typically more intense.
- Common stims include shining their own pearl repeatedly, brushing their mane/tail.
Ridgeback wrote:
- Fixation on borrowing only one specific kind of item, typically luxuries they do not need. Most commonly figurines, light fixtures such as lamps, and textured items (furs, rugs, fabric)
- Asking before borrowing is also a common sign of a Ridgeback being autistic, which can alienate them from other Ridgebacks, but helps them connect better with dragons of other species.
- Common stims include polishing their scales repeatedly, and itching at their spines until it's molting season.
Skydancer wrote:
- RIDICULOUS sensitivity with their gem. When around too many other dragons, they pick up on all their emotions, and being around strong magical energies is an even worse feeling. This can cause migraines and sensory overload.
- Over-investment in aerial acrobatics/dancing. Most autistic Skydancers prefer this over their traditional role of settling disputes, since the energies of dragons who participate in these displays all work together similarly, thus avoiding mentioned sensory overload.
- Common stims include wiggling their antennae, constantly preening their crest.
Snapper wrote:
- Moves less than their peers, tends to need more rest to clear their mind.
- Aversion to travel in general - the change of it makes them uncomfortable, which can cause autistic Snappers to settle down in one area. These Snappers typically become known as wise sages to other dragons.
- Common stims include chewing on things (twigs, rocks, etc.) and breaking stone just for fun with their powerful nails.
Spiral wrote:
- Tying itself into pretzels more often than neurotypical peers can be a symptom, but a more noticeable one is an aversion to "spiraling" - these autistic Spirals prefer to be as straightened out as possible.
- Most autistic Spirals have a strong aversion to the daylight, since their eyes are very sensitive to light (in order to better hunt during the night.)
- Common stims include spiraling (of course,) or stretching all of their 6 wings at once.
Tundra wrote:
- Aversion to scents, since the sensory input is so strong. These Tundras tend to have more memory problems due to this, especially regarding determining which dragons they know & which they've never met.
- Discomfort with the "friend-again" process, not understanding why they would need to ask questions such as name and other common questions when they could just enjoy each other's company again.
- Common stims include burrowing aimlessly, and slamming their tail on the ground repeatedly.
Wildclaw wrote:
- Fixation on justice, especially regarding duels. These Wildclaws err on the side of logic, which alienates them from the Wildclaw tradition of fighting to back up one's words. These Wildclaws also tend to point out any cheating or dirty fighting, which also isn't taken well by neurotypical peers.
- Alternatively, a preference for the arts, and empathy for artistic work. These Wildclaws tend to attempt salvaging art from past leaders, so that they can be preserved rather than destroyed.
- Common stims include repeated sharpening of their claws (which, if done too often, can cause them to break,) and a constant need to run.

Additionally, some more thoughts on Tundras & stims from @/Limey!
Quote:
I had my own thought on tundras. Some might have excellent memories and are capable of remembering names and faces in order to avoid having to deal with scents. I work with students who are on the spectrum, and I had a young man a few years ago that at the beginning of every school year would re-familiarize himself with teachers and students he hadn't seen since June by going through a process of "Ms./Mr. Name who likes X" (mine was always Supernatural). I can also see swaying back and forth or side to side as a common stim for species that sit still, as well as waving a leg, or even sitting on their haunches to wave both front legs.

Thanks for reading! :D
Thank you for this. My son is autistic and I am just learning about it in depth. I hope to use this information in my lair. I find it very interesting and true.
Thank you for this. My son is autistic and I am just learning about it in depth. I hope to use this information in my lair. I find it very interesting and true.
af0231562e2fd316f2c9e094c43e6943a0d7e810.png
@kelsey3478 I'm so glad that you enjoyed this, please let me know if/where you use it, I'd love to see! If you're still researching, I highly suggest ASAN (Autistic Self Advocacy Network) as a stepping stone. This is because it's not just run for autistic people, it's run by autistic people, so you know that the info they've got is accurate & not patronizing. [emoji=spiral happy size=1]
@kelsey3478
I'm so glad that you enjoyed this, please let me know if/where you use it, I'd love to see!
If you're still researching, I highly suggest ASAN (Autistic Self Advocacy Network) as a stepping stone. This is because it's not just run for autistic people, it's run by autistic people, so you know that the info they've got is accurate & not patronizing.
Thank you so much for this
Thank you so much for this
tDeKDnH.pnguntitled_drawing_by_cattelle-dcy0t09.png
i love these! i will probably use some of these in my lore
i love these! i will probably use some of these in my lore
12942.pngMITSWHH.gif
lane/chara | 19 | he/xe/sun/fae | fr+2
4sqjku3.png
AlXl55e.gif3CqUIAq.gifAlXl55e.gif3CqUIAq.gif
MITSWHH.gif1014.png
@sunfallz
I'm glad you like them! Please let me know if/when/where you use some, I love reading other peoples' lore :D
@sunfallz
I'm glad you like them! Please let me know if/when/where you use some, I love reading other peoples' lore :D
@DragonCloudBurst not sure if you've seen this thread BUT it reminded me of Maisie :>
@DragonCloudBurst not sure if you've seen this thread BUT it reminded me of Maisie :>
5892c5c340f5264298ab03b35ff0dcfa32e5c846.pnga3abe3a57fa73e1e4d20440c93f392df4a1de2b2.png99d546c5f2f73a91e494a877b318b5fe2cc494d0.png
@Slaytheist Thanks! This was a very fun read.
@Slaytheist Thanks! This was a very fun read.
eyayah | art shop
mlr1H8z.png
evIwcId.png
This is wicked awesome, great read!

I like your interpretation of feelings around the Search to be a neurodivergent thing, too. I've got a sort of variant on that with two of my Guardians, Charon and Nightshade, where I have it as an aromantic or asexual type of deal.

The inclusion of how dragons might stim is a nice touch!
This is wicked awesome, great read!

I like your interpretation of feelings around the Search to be a neurodivergent thing, too. I've got a sort of variant on that with two of my Guardians, Charon and Nightshade, where I have it as an aromantic or asexual type of deal.

The inclusion of how dragons might stim is a nice touch!
windf1.png12197.png1756.png12196.pngicef2.png
this was awesome definitely gonna use something like this!
this was awesome definitely gonna use something like this!
ACOZFAh.png
EiPW4qT.png
sZShZzW.png
jA5A7gu.png
LRdLP2V.png
bYt72YT.png
v500TmV.png
JvUa9ma.png
y333Aol.jpg|Call Me Kacee |Fr time +0|uDrb98V.jpg
|21|They/Them|
Ping me please, i apreciate it ~
1 2 3 4