Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | "Overlay" type skin blueprint
1 2 3
Support. There is not one single convincing argument against this. This would allow skin and accent artists to do the exact same things we were all already doing, just without having to tint the blueprint lineart and shadows to make them as unobtrusive as possible first.
Support. There is not one single convincing argument against this. This would allow skin and accent artists to do the exact same things we were all already doing, just without having to tint the blueprint lineart and shadows to make them as unobtrusive as possible first.
biggest support ever
biggest support ever
tumblr_otmg2w9lij1umo9xeo4_r1_500.png
Support! This sounds dope as hell ngl-- since we can't put apparel on ancient dragons, this sounds like a nice substitution.
Support! This sounds dope as hell ngl-- since we can't put apparel on ancient dragons, this sounds like a nice substitution.
677fd66ff5b1d302249c98d4a1eb713daa76e28e.gif

8b02ad3c65b6b4b87011423eae92aa9999ab549f.gif
I think this could work out, with restrictions for dragon coverage. It makes me think of Furvilla's Paintie system, in which artists could have the opportunity to redesign their villagers with apparel. (Shifties on the other hand, which have very few restrictions, throw the site style out the window.)
I think this could work out, with restrictions for dragon coverage. It makes me think of Furvilla's Paintie system, in which artists could have the opportunity to redesign their villagers with apparel. (Shifties on the other hand, which have very few restrictions, throw the site style out the window.)
I'd support this, but I think it has more chance to pass if it's for ancient breeds only. Like. I get all the arguments. There's some weird accents/skins out here that make dragons look 0% like dragons. Even my avatar derg, he might look like a dragon, but he sure doesn't look like a tundra.

My only fear would be someone completly deleting the dragon picture and drawing something complety new over it, but I get why it shouldn't be a fear considering the weird things we have out here. I guess that just feels a tiny bit lazy too me. Or elitist? Websites that have this kind of skins that completly replace the og pet with something completly new always make me feel like pets who don't have this type of skins have less value. But I guess since those dragons won't be able to wear apparels it makes them a bit less ''superior''.

My other fear would be with apparels. I guess you could just, not put apparels on your overlay dragon for it not to look weird. (Which is why I think it would be better for ancient only??) And I understand some skins already ''break'' with apparels on them.

But maybe the overlay shouldn't cover more than 80% of the dragon or something? To still keep something of the original dragon? 80% gives a lot of room for creativity but would still leave some part of the base recognisible.
I'd support this, but I think it has more chance to pass if it's for ancient breeds only. Like. I get all the arguments. There's some weird accents/skins out here that make dragons look 0% like dragons. Even my avatar derg, he might look like a dragon, but he sure doesn't look like a tundra.

My only fear would be someone completly deleting the dragon picture and drawing something complety new over it, but I get why it shouldn't be a fear considering the weird things we have out here. I guess that just feels a tiny bit lazy too me. Or elitist? Websites that have this kind of skins that completly replace the og pet with something completly new always make me feel like pets who don't have this type of skins have less value. But I guess since those dragons won't be able to wear apparels it makes them a bit less ''superior''.

My other fear would be with apparels. I guess you could just, not put apparels on your overlay dragon for it not to look weird. (Which is why I think it would be better for ancient only??) And I understand some skins already ''break'' with apparels on them.

But maybe the overlay shouldn't cover more than 80% of the dragon or something? To still keep something of the original dragon? 80% gives a lot of room for creativity but would still leave some part of the base recognisible.
[quote name="Chee" date="2020-03-29 08:39:11" ] [quote name="Vendrus" date="2020-03-29 01:21:01" ] this is super abuseable. [/quote] How can this feature be abused when every entry would still need to be approved by staff? Its impossible to create a skin that circumvents any constraints set by the staff, barring human error on the staffs part (but even that will not survive long because they would correct it.) [/quote] Okay, fair - it's either super abuseable or will take up an serious amount of staff time. A compromise might be that the shadow and line layers can't be edited though! That would enforce the base design of the dragon always being visible and would result in an easier go-no go for staff. Also, imo a bunch of the arguments for it don't make sense. The weird and wonderful skins making a dragon look like something else? Site art still visible. Covering a dragon with apparel? Site art still visible. It's not just dragons that are their ambassador - it's the excellent quality and detail of all the site art compared to so many other pet sites. Like many things, I would have no complaint if staff decided to add it. I'm just presenting reasons why they probably won't.
Chee wrote on 2020-03-29 08:39:11:
Vendrus wrote on 2020-03-29 01:21:01:
this is super abuseable.

How can this feature be abused when every entry would still need to be approved by staff? Its impossible to create a skin that circumvents any constraints set by the staff, barring human error on the staffs part (but even that will not survive long because they would correct it.)

Okay, fair - it's either super abuseable or will take up an serious amount of staff time. A compromise might be that the shadow and line layers can't be edited though! That would enforce the base design of the dragon always being visible and would result in an easier go-no go for staff.

Also, imo a bunch of the arguments for it don't make sense. The weird and wonderful skins making a dragon look like something else? Site art still visible. Covering a dragon with apparel? Site art still visible. It's not just dragons that are their ambassador - it's the excellent quality and detail of all the site art compared to so many other pet sites.

Like many things, I would have no complaint if staff decided to add it. I'm just presenting reasons why they probably won't.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
[quote name="Vendrus" date="2020-03-29 11:24:42" ] Okay, fair - it's either super abuseable or will take up an serious amount of staff time. [/quote] why say "ok" and then go on to repeat "its abuseable"? It's not abuseable. Regarding staff time: The approval of Overlays isn't going to be any more time consuming that approval of a new accent. If anything, it'll be quicker because they don't need to ensure that lines and shadows are visible. If a coverage percentage is required, they can use the same method they use to determine accent coverage percentage. [quote name="Vendrus" date="2020-03-29 11:24:42" ] It's not just dragons that are their ambassador - it's the excellent quality and detail of all the site art compared to so many other pet sites.[/quote] The lineart requirements on boundary pushing skins and accents make the quality look way worse though. When a cool boundary pushing skin gets widely circulated on social media, I don't think the presence of the original lines being an obstacle to customization is at all helpful to FR's general image. You're right in that staff [i]could[/i] very well choose design integrity over creative freedom. In this Overlay suggestion, I'm hoping they'll reconsider the necessity of design integrity (when it comes to this specific aspect of customization - its fine and sensible that design integrity remains important for official art). The staff needs to consider what they gain from holding rigid skin standards, vs what they stand to gain by loosening them via Overlays. and IMO, there's way more to gain in allowing more freedom
Vendrus wrote on 2020-03-29 11:24:42:

Okay, fair - it's either super abuseable or will take up an serious amount of staff time.

why say "ok" and then go on to repeat "its abuseable"? It's not abuseable.

Regarding staff time: The approval of Overlays isn't going to be any more time consuming that approval of a new accent. If anything, it'll be quicker because they don't need to ensure that lines and shadows are visible. If a coverage percentage is required, they can use the same method they use to determine accent coverage percentage.
Vendrus wrote on 2020-03-29 11:24:42:
It's not just dragons that are their ambassador - it's the excellent quality and detail of all the site art compared to so many other pet sites.

The lineart requirements on boundary pushing skins and accents make the quality look way worse though. When a cool boundary pushing skin gets widely circulated on social media, I don't think the presence of the original lines being an obstacle to customization is at all helpful to FR's general image.

You're right in that staff could very well choose design integrity over creative freedom. In this Overlay suggestion, I'm hoping they'll reconsider the necessity of design integrity (when it comes to this specific aspect of customization - its fine and sensible that design integrity remains important for official art). The staff needs to consider what they gain from holding rigid skin standards, vs what they stand to gain by loosening them via Overlays. and IMO, there's way more to gain in allowing more freedom
tumblr_inline_p8uk5sITl01qdxu5r_540.giftumblr_p8ubo4fvsj1tcuk4xo1_250.gif
Sorry to comment again, but one question I had about this is: would it be possible to wear a skin and overlay / an accent and overlay? I feel like it should be allowed, personally (but just one of each). I was just wondering because of the existing precedent that you can't wear both a skin and an accent.
Sorry to comment again, but one question I had about this is: would it be possible to wear a skin and overlay / an accent and overlay? I feel like it should be allowed, personally (but just one of each). I was just wondering because of the existing precedent that you can't wear both a skin and an accent.

bannerart_2021.png
support, current skin/accent rules suck lol
support, current skin/accent rules suck lol
ccwR.gif
[quote name="skarpetky" date="2020-03-29 17:14:15" ] Sorry to comment again, but one question I had about this is: would it be possible to wear a skin and overlay / an accent and overlay? I feel like it should be allowed, personally (but just one of each). I was just wondering because of the existing precedent that you can't wear both a skin and an accent. [/quote] It would likely be implemented same as skins and accents: you can only wear one. That said, accent layering (being able to put more than one skin/accent on a dragon) has been a highly requested feature, you can find other threads on the topic by searching for that term!
skarpetky wrote on 2020-03-29 17:14:15:

It would likely be implemented same as skins and accents: you can only wear one. That said, accent layering (being able to put more than one skin/accent on a dragon) has been a highly requested feature, you can find other threads on the topic by searching for that term!
tumblr_inline_p8uk5sITl01qdxu5r_540.giftumblr_p8ubo4fvsj1tcuk4xo1_250.gif
1 2 3