Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Fun/funny D&D stories!
1 2
In our current campaign, somehow my 7 foot tall Minotaur has the highest Stealth bonus of any of the characters.

And then she rolled two natural ones when trying to sneak into a worg den and alerted all the worgs to her presence.

We were almost slaughtered by a dozen worgs before the DM whipped out a deus ex machina and had the two most powerful NPCs in the campaign show up and defeat the rest of the worgs for us.

Then there was the death by pudding incident, which happened in a campaign I played in 4th edition. At the climax of the campaign, all the magic users were on one side of the arena casting a ritual, leaving the two melee fighters by themselves to guard their backs. One of those melee fighters was my half-elf paladin of the Raven Queen.

Two black puddings appeared to attempt to thwart the ritual. Fun fact about black puddings is that they split into two when hit with melee attacks. So we had two melee fighters hacking away at these puddings because no mage was available to help, and my paladin was smothered to death by tiny black pudding babies.

In a Pathfinder game, I played a druid with a pet badger, the latter of whom was vastly better at combat than the former. He even had a little suit of armor. He once decapitated a zombie on a critical hit. Meanwhile the druid spent most of his time making his club bigger with the shillelagh spell and trying not to die.
In our current campaign, somehow my 7 foot tall Minotaur has the highest Stealth bonus of any of the characters.

And then she rolled two natural ones when trying to sneak into a worg den and alerted all the worgs to her presence.

We were almost slaughtered by a dozen worgs before the DM whipped out a deus ex machina and had the two most powerful NPCs in the campaign show up and defeat the rest of the worgs for us.

Then there was the death by pudding incident, which happened in a campaign I played in 4th edition. At the climax of the campaign, all the magic users were on one side of the arena casting a ritual, leaving the two melee fighters by themselves to guard their backs. One of those melee fighters was my half-elf paladin of the Raven Queen.

Two black puddings appeared to attempt to thwart the ritual. Fun fact about black puddings is that they split into two when hit with melee attacks. So we had two melee fighters hacking away at these puddings because no mage was available to help, and my paladin was smothered to death by tiny black pudding babies.

In a Pathfinder game, I played a druid with a pet badger, the latter of whom was vastly better at combat than the former. He even had a little suit of armor. He once decapitated a zombie on a critical hit. Meanwhile the druid spent most of his time making his club bigger with the shillelagh spell and trying not to die.
Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
I tried to break a door so it wouldn't accidentally close on us. rolled a crit fail and broke my hand trying to punch it. [emoji=tundra deadpan size=1]
I tried to break a door so it wouldn't accidentally close on us. rolled a crit fail and broke my hand trying to punch it.
tumblr_pvaafvIJGt1xdiur2o1_250.png tumblr_pvaafvIJGt1xdiur2o1_250.pngtumblr_pvaafvIJGt1xdiur2o1_250.png
Was playing a warforged fighter with a 22 in dex. In our first fight against the campaigns cultists, I attempted to climb a tree so I could scout around and maintain stealth. I crit failed on my acrobatics check and fell out of the tree, hitting the ground hard enough to alert most of the cultists to the parties presence.

About 5 minutes later in the midst of the fight, a cultist tried to perform a ritual in a summoning circle drawn on the ground. I ran over to him, grappled him from behind, and held a short sword to his neck. Initially, I thought he was in charge, and the fight may stop if he was put in danger.

I was very wrong.

I tell him, “Be still if you wish to live.” He very much did not want to live, and immediately killed himself on the sword I was holding to his throat.

Turns out, they were trying to return the spirit of the BBEG to the world, and the cultist I grappled was the sacrifice, upon his death, the BBEG was summoned in an explosion centered directly on top of me. After the session, the DM informed me that he hadn’t planned for their ritual to actually succeed at that point, and I had accidentally kickstarted the main quest early.
Was playing a warforged fighter with a 22 in dex. In our first fight against the campaigns cultists, I attempted to climb a tree so I could scout around and maintain stealth. I crit failed on my acrobatics check and fell out of the tree, hitting the ground hard enough to alert most of the cultists to the parties presence.

About 5 minutes later in the midst of the fight, a cultist tried to perform a ritual in a summoning circle drawn on the ground. I ran over to him, grappled him from behind, and held a short sword to his neck. Initially, I thought he was in charge, and the fight may stop if he was put in danger.

I was very wrong.

I tell him, “Be still if you wish to live.” He very much did not want to live, and immediately killed himself on the sword I was holding to his throat.

Turns out, they were trying to return the spirit of the BBEG to the world, and the cultist I grappled was the sacrifice, upon his death, the BBEG was summoned in an explosion centered directly on top of me. After the session, the DM informed me that he hadn’t planned for their ritual to actually succeed at that point, and I had accidentally kickstarted the main quest early.
looking for Discord RP servers. I’m no longer active here.
[b]I got one to tell![/b] For my birthday last year, my partner @Mutantenfisch DMed a solo adventure for both of us, a slightly modified version of 'The Curse of Drestyn Manor' by Brent Davis. The party consisted of his sad Human Bard Harri (the sole survivor of an Owlbear attack which cost the rest of his minstrel troupe their lives), and my Firbolg Paladin Sarydark, kind-hearted but a bit naive due to his young age. We got involved with researching (and possibly solving) the mystery of an ravenous snake plague which cracked down hard on a region heavily dependant on the agriculture. For one, the small ctitters all became snake food and weren't preventing the harmful insects from eating the crops. Also, the smaller harvest meant decreasing transit trade, which was especially bad for Ambroth, the village our heroes met and wich Harri was a local patron of. They made most of their income as an en-route stop for folks of various trades who were headed for the bigger merchant towns to the north. But despite the rough times, especially I was surprised how warmly I was welcomed by the human community, something I had not anticipated as a shy and insecure member of the giantkin. Talking to the people kindled my desire to help them in their plight. We got in touch with the innkeeper Wilma, an old aquainance of Harri's, who told us the plague appeared when a couple years prior, the local Lord, Drestyn, had vanished and his estate was rumored to be haunted since then. Another group of people had once gone up there, but the village had no word from them in months. We agreed to investigate the situation, and it became the most wholesome, enjoyable and exciting thing I ever had the pleasure to play in my entire life. The Bard elegantly one-hit two giant centipedes by rolling two nat 20s in a row (imagine the yowling and cheering at the table!). We surprised a dozen piss-drunk band of dressed up, partying kobolds in the wine cellar who we managed to persuade let us join on in their festivities. And I with a -2 negative dex mod (I roleplayed as being horribly clumsy because I was a still growing boy) miracolously aced a dex save on a tight tunnel and got stuck with a crit fail in the same spot on the way back. ultimately Harri's face got badly mauled by animated skeletons right when I was out of healing spells, and he recieved a wound that would make it impossible for him to perform like he used to. He passed me his last healing potion. Maybe, Sary fell a little in love with him right then. [b]But the funny[/b] part and [i]absolute highlight[/i] that made this adventure unforgettable and brought out the laughing tears happened began when we were about three quaters done exploring the mansion. In one of the rooms we found a strange skull with a red burning candle placed on it. I identified with detect good or evil. It emitted a malicious aura, and was the cause of the mansion being haunted itself. We had a 24-hour time limit to destroy it, and unless we were sucessful, the path we caved to breaking the curse would reset. We noticed we were on a very tight time schedule since we had spent roughly 14 hours in the mansion already, rests and all, but whatever we tried - Hacking, slashing, Holy water - the latter in the only end only helped to neutralize, not destroy it. We did not have the right spells equipped and even I, as a paladin, was out of my element. That is what we came up with eventually: We dealt with the snake-part of the curse first, and came back right after. Harri doused the thing in Holy water, I sacrificed the blanket from my pack, bundled up the skull, took Harri up on my shoulders, and as fast as I have ever run in my life, dashed down the hill back to Ambroth, screaming via message, as if we wanted to raise hell, FOR THEM AT THE CHAPEL TO PREPARE AN EXORCISM AAAAAAAaaaaaah (help help help).. On the way down, we rolled an encounter - Goblins camped by the road, just about to have dinner. But the only thing they saw was a cloud of dust and a mad stampede of a 6'11 tall being with two heads and a mad gleam in its eyes, and my partner prompted me to roll for intimidation, but laughed so hard at my description that he gave me a pass and we made the I suffered 3 levels of exhaustion after and wrecked my chin pretty badly while tripping on the chapel stairs, but the endeavour was eventually sucessful. At that time were both still semi-new to D&D and [i]maybe[/i] messed up a rule here and there, but oh, the love for that game sparked right there and hasn't gone dark since. [emoji=mirror star size=1]
I got one to tell!

For my birthday last year, my partner @Mutantenfisch DMed a solo adventure for both of us, a slightly modified version of 'The Curse of Drestyn Manor' by Brent Davis.

The party consisted of his sad Human Bard Harri (the sole survivor of an Owlbear attack which cost the rest of his minstrel troupe their lives), and my Firbolg Paladin Sarydark, kind-hearted but a bit naive due to his young age. We got involved with researching (and possibly solving) the mystery of an ravenous snake plague which cracked down hard on a region heavily dependant on the agriculture. For one, the small ctitters all became snake food and weren't preventing the harmful insects from eating the crops. Also, the smaller harvest meant decreasing transit trade, which was especially bad for Ambroth, the village our heroes met and wich Harri was a local patron of. They made most of their income as an en-route stop for folks of various trades who were headed for the bigger merchant towns to the north.

But despite the rough times, especially I was surprised how warmly I was welcomed by the human community, something I had not anticipated as a shy and insecure member of the giantkin. Talking to the people kindled my desire to help them in their plight. We got in touch with the innkeeper Wilma, an old aquainance of Harri's, who told us the plague appeared when a couple years prior, the local Lord, Drestyn, had vanished and his estate was rumored to be haunted since then. Another group of people had once gone up there, but the village had no word from them in months.

We agreed to investigate the situation, and it became the most wholesome, enjoyable and exciting thing I ever had the pleasure to play in my entire life. The Bard elegantly one-hit two giant centipedes by rolling two nat 20s in a row (imagine the yowling and cheering at the table!).
We surprised a dozen ****-drunk band of dressed up, partying kobolds in the wine cellar who we managed to persuade let us join on in their festivities.
And I with a -2 negative dex mod (I roleplayed as being horribly clumsy because I was a still growing boy) miracolously aced a dex save on a tight tunnel and got stuck with a crit fail in the same spot on the way back.
ultimately Harri's face got badly mauled by animated skeletons right when I was out of healing spells, and he recieved a wound that would make it impossible for him to perform like he used to. He passed me his last healing potion. Maybe, Sary fell a little in love with him right then.

But the funny part and absolute highlight that made this adventure unforgettable and brought out the laughing tears happened began when we were about three quaters done exploring the mansion. In one of the rooms we found a strange skull with a red burning candle placed on it. I identified with detect good or evil. It emitted a malicious aura, and was the cause of the mansion being haunted itself. We had a 24-hour time limit to destroy it, and unless we were sucessful, the path we caved to breaking the curse would reset.

We noticed we were on a very tight time schedule since we had spent roughly 14 hours in the mansion already, rests and all, but whatever we tried - Hacking, slashing, Holy water - the latter in the only end only helped to neutralize, not destroy it. We did not have the right spells equipped and even I, as a paladin, was out of my element.

That is what we came up with eventually: We dealt with the snake-part of the curse first, and came back right after.
Harri doused the thing in Holy water, I sacrificed the blanket from my pack, bundled up the skull, took Harri up on my shoulders, and as fast as I have ever run in my life, dashed down the hill back to Ambroth, screaming via message, as if we wanted to raise hell, FOR THEM AT THE CHAPEL TO PREPARE AN EXORCISM AAAAAAAaaaaaah (help help help)..

On the way down, we rolled an encounter - Goblins camped by the road, just about to have dinner. But the only thing they saw was a cloud of dust and a mad stampede of a 6'11 tall being with two heads and a mad gleam in its eyes, and my partner prompted me to roll for intimidation, but laughed so hard at my description that he gave me a pass and we made the

I suffered 3 levels of exhaustion after and wrecked my chin pretty badly while tripping on the chapel stairs, but the endeavour was eventually sucessful.

At that time were both still semi-new to D&D and maybe messed up a rule here and there, but oh, the love for that game sparked right there and hasn't gone dark since.
MRMeAKr.png
We had a digiridoo bard in a campaign and the player found very long (like hour+) digiridoo songs on youtube to blast whenever he needed to play his instrument for gameplay purposes. Standard faire bard gameplay to have recordings of the musical instruments/actually play the instruments, but the excessively long songs were a whole new level of extra, even for a bard.
We had a digiridoo bard in a campaign and the player found very long (like hour+) digiridoo songs on youtube to blast whenever he needed to play his instrument for gameplay purposes. Standard faire bard gameplay to have recordings of the musical instruments/actually play the instruments, but the excessively long songs were a whole new level of extra, even for a bard.
Oob, my little goblin character, recently died in our campaign. I saw no other option that would suit a Chaotic Evil character more than asking a good friend to kill her before she lost control. I cried while it happened it sucked, our DM is a great story teller and the cleric's last words to her were "you will be missed, friend"
Oob, my little goblin character, recently died in our campaign. I saw no other option that would suit a Chaotic Evil character more than asking a good friend to kill her before she lost control. I cried while it happened it sucked, our DM is a great story teller and the cleric's last words to her were "you will be missed, friend"
She/her
+3 FRT
Forums lurker
Collector of old dragons
Lore clan!

Color-Hand-15.png
95c947c87cc1e92d43ab7d172f86ce89d0a06f2b.png
1 2