Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Day of Dragons (Gaming Talk)
1 2 3 4 5 6
Day of Dragons is an absolute mess of a game... I understand opinions, but the game's only an asset flip, confirmed by Jao himself.

If you are interested in Day of Dragons, I advise you to reconsider. Speaking wrong of the game in any place with which Jao has access to will get you immediately silenced or attacked by, in my opinion, brain-washed fans which think that Jao is still in the right about everything he has done. I have followed this game since before it was even early access, and before all the drama. The game is merely a glorified tech demo, and only *just* added the ability to save your dragon's growth progress and last location, which, if you ask me, is a *core* aspect to ANY game.

Before the drama and rumors (later proven true) of the game to be an asset flip, Jao made no effort to say, "Hey, none of this is actually my work." At the time, and for a portion of the game's Early Access, Jao didn't even have *rights* to some of the models used. He was going to get them and pay for them, but for a reason I can't remember, stated that he couldn't pay until X date. That's theft..! You can't legally use it UNTIL it's paid for.

Now the drama of the game has escalated. Jao claims that youtubers IGP and Icycaress have DEFAMED him by stating that they are spreading false information about his game as facts, when over half the facts can be proven. Jao has, in his anger, hard-coded shadowbanned IcyCaress and four other people from even LAUNCHING Day of Dragons, which breaks Steam's ToS: "All game bans must be in line with a VAC (Valve's Anti-Cheat system) ban." Jao tries to dodge this completely, stating that "because the game does not use Valve, I do not have to comply with the VAC method."
Even if that were true to the case, on Steam's "What are game bans?" page, there is a question asked there: "Does this mean a developer can take my games away from me?" to which Steam responds, "No, a developer cannot prevent you from playing or even launching the game."

You can certainly look up the information as you please. I suggest watching SidAlpha's video on Day of Dragons. There is so much more here that I have not covered, such as the fact that Jao and his team have personally attacked Anthomnia, a long time supporter of the game, as well as Anthomnia's Isla Nycta admin team simply because Anthomnia agreed with Icy and IGP's concerns for the game.
Day of Dragons is an absolute mess of a game... I understand opinions, but the game's only an asset flip, confirmed by Jao himself.

If you are interested in Day of Dragons, I advise you to reconsider. Speaking wrong of the game in any place with which Jao has access to will get you immediately silenced or attacked by, in my opinion, brain-washed fans which think that Jao is still in the right about everything he has done. I have followed this game since before it was even early access, and before all the drama. The game is merely a glorified tech demo, and only *just* added the ability to save your dragon's growth progress and last location, which, if you ask me, is a *core* aspect to ANY game.

Before the drama and rumors (later proven true) of the game to be an asset flip, Jao made no effort to say, "Hey, none of this is actually my work." At the time, and for a portion of the game's Early Access, Jao didn't even have *rights* to some of the models used. He was going to get them and pay for them, but for a reason I can't remember, stated that he couldn't pay until X date. That's theft..! You can't legally use it UNTIL it's paid for.

Now the drama of the game has escalated. Jao claims that youtubers IGP and Icycaress have DEFAMED him by stating that they are spreading false information about his game as facts, when over half the facts can be proven. Jao has, in his anger, hard-coded shadowbanned IcyCaress and four other people from even LAUNCHING Day of Dragons, which breaks Steam's ToS: "All game bans must be in line with a VAC (Valve's Anti-Cheat system) ban." Jao tries to dodge this completely, stating that "because the game does not use Valve, I do not have to comply with the VAC method."
Even if that were true to the case, on Steam's "What are game bans?" page, there is a question asked there: "Does this mean a developer can take my games away from me?" to which Steam responds, "No, a developer cannot prevent you from playing or even launching the game."

You can certainly look up the information as you please. I suggest watching SidAlpha's video on Day of Dragons. There is so much more here that I have not covered, such as the fact that Jao and his team have personally attacked Anthomnia, a long time supporter of the game, as well as Anthomnia's Isla Nycta admin team simply because Anthomnia agreed with Icy and IGP's concerns for the game.
Check out CircusFire, a one-of-a-kind!
@Swiftkitty

Look, I agree with some of your points. But how about you don't revive a 2 month old thread just for the sake of continuing the drama here? Thanks and happy hollidays.
@Swiftkitty

Look, I agree with some of your points. But how about you don't revive a 2 month old thread just for the sake of continuing the drama here? Thanks and happy hollidays.
OSPKX5l.png
@Swiftkitty
Just... no. Enjoy your Christmas
@Swiftkitty
Just... no. Enjoy your Christmas
E5NiyJY.png
It's not drama though, it's saving people from wasting their money.

Don't buy into Day of Dragons. There's hours worth of reasons why the game isn't worth it and why the devs are shady. Even if they managed to turn it all around, I wouldn't pay them a cent after all this nonsense. Save your money for game developers that actually care about their content and their supporters.
It's not drama though, it's saving people from wasting their money.

Don't buy into Day of Dragons. There's hours worth of reasons why the game isn't worth it and why the devs are shady. Even if they managed to turn it all around, I wouldn't pay them a cent after all this nonsense. Save your money for game developers that actually care about their content and their supporters.
image.pnglMoMteR.pngimage.png
I backed the Kickstarter months ago. Refusing to play the game because of some alleged drama would guarantee that money was wasted.

I've been playing computer games for well over 20 years now. I've seen all kinds of drama, all kinds of devs. I've loved games with great devs, and hated games with terrible devs. But I've also loved games with terrible devs, and hated games with great devs. If a dev team's vision for their game doesn't match up with what I want in a game, then I'm not going to enjoy their content, no matter how lovingly it's created. My absolute favourite game of all time was neglected by its devs for years while EA used it as a cash cow, and only in the last 12 months have things started to get better.

I've seen games abandoned by their devs really come alive due to a great community of players and modders. I've seen "caring" devs ruin their games by adding every single thing their community screams at them to add, resulting in a chaotic mishmash of features that detracts from gameplay instead of adding to it. If anything, some of the most toxic gaming communities I've ever been in have been games with devs that cared... because people knew screaming and throwing tantrums would eventually get them what they wanted.

So I'm withholding judgement on Day of Dragons 'til I've played it myself (something I haven't had time to do yet). Additionally, I'm withholding full judgement until it's had a year or two to be developed fully. I've played a number of games in Early Access, and I never expect them to be as polished as something that's been around a while.
I backed the Kickstarter months ago. Refusing to play the game because of some alleged drama would guarantee that money was wasted.

I've been playing computer games for well over 20 years now. I've seen all kinds of drama, all kinds of devs. I've loved games with great devs, and hated games with terrible devs. But I've also loved games with terrible devs, and hated games with great devs. If a dev team's vision for their game doesn't match up with what I want in a game, then I'm not going to enjoy their content, no matter how lovingly it's created. My absolute favourite game of all time was neglected by its devs for years while EA used it as a cash cow, and only in the last 12 months have things started to get better.

I've seen games abandoned by their devs really come alive due to a great community of players and modders. I've seen "caring" devs ruin their games by adding every single thing their community screams at them to add, resulting in a chaotic mishmash of features that detracts from gameplay instead of adding to it. If anything, some of the most toxic gaming communities I've ever been in have been games with devs that cared... because people knew screaming and throwing tantrums would eventually get them what they wanted.

So I'm withholding judgement on Day of Dragons 'til I've played it myself (something I haven't had time to do yet). Additionally, I'm withholding full judgement until it's had a year or two to be developed fully. I've played a number of games in Early Access, and I never expect them to be as polished as something that's been around a while.
To be honest, I don't think I can believe either side 100% anymore. There are so many rumors floating around on both ends now that it's hard to tell what's the truth and what's just a lie to make the other side look bad. People keep saying they have proof of this or that, but the "proof" comes out looking just as sketchy as the rumors. Then there are some people who claim to have proof, but ignore anyone who asks to see it.

Despite all the drama, I'm still hoping the game succeeds. The models they plan on adding look nice, and the sounds they recently put in are pretty cool. I feel like a lot of people need to realize that the person who owns this game has never done something like this before. I'm not saying that Jao is perfect, or that he hasn't made mistakes, but people need to chill out with all the bashing and insults until DoD has had a little more time to develop. The game isn't finished. Maybe it'll fail horribly, maybe it'll be amazing. You can't say a meal is terrible just because you decided to eat it before it even has most of the ingredients put in.
To be honest, I don't think I can believe either side 100% anymore. There are so many rumors floating around on both ends now that it's hard to tell what's the truth and what's just a lie to make the other side look bad. People keep saying they have proof of this or that, but the "proof" comes out looking just as sketchy as the rumors. Then there are some people who claim to have proof, but ignore anyone who asks to see it.

Despite all the drama, I'm still hoping the game succeeds. The models they plan on adding look nice, and the sounds they recently put in are pretty cool. I feel like a lot of people need to realize that the person who owns this game has never done something like this before. I'm not saying that Jao is perfect, or that he hasn't made mistakes, but people need to chill out with all the bashing and insults until DoD has had a little more time to develop. The game isn't finished. Maybe it'll fail horribly, maybe it'll be amazing. You can't say a meal is terrible just because you decided to eat it before it even has most of the ingredients put in.
[quote name="ShinyGiratina" date="2019-12-26 04:35:19" ] You can't say a meal is terrible just because you decided to eat it before it even has most of the ingredients put in. [/quote] Yes, but you can side eye the cook if they don't practice basic cooking hygiene. Personally, I think it's best to avoid the game until the dev is actually able to prove their claims.
ShinyGiratina wrote on 2019-12-26 04:35:19:
You can't say a meal is terrible just because you decided to eat it before it even has most of the ingredients put in.

Yes, but you can side eye the cook if they don't practice basic cooking hygiene.

Personally, I think it's best to avoid the game until the dev is actually able to prove their claims.
Tell me your desire
while you pull me from the fire
and we'll seal the deal with a kiss
[quote name="Demonically" date="2019-12-26 06:23:27" ] [quote name="ShinyGiratina" date="2019-12-26 04:35:19" ] You can't say a meal is terrible just because you decided to eat it before it even has most of the ingredients put in. [/quote] Yes, but you can side eye the cook if they don't practice basic cooking hygiene. Personally, I think it's best to avoid the game until the dev is actually able to prove their claims. [/quote] This^
Demonically wrote on 2019-12-26 06:23:27:
You can't say a meal is terrible just because you decided to eat it before it even has most of the ingredients put in.

Yes, but you can side eye the cook if they don't practice basic cooking hygiene.

Personally, I think it's best to avoid the game until the dev is actually able to prove their claims.

This^
natureshieldl.png NIJBYPt.png uRC0U7k.png NIJBYPt.png natureshieldr.png
This looks great! What price are you thinking of for the final product?
This looks great! What price are you thinking of for the final product?
they/them | fr time +8 | active/inactive | wishlist
[quote name="Demonically" date="2019-12-26 06:23:27" ] [quote name="ShinyGiratina" date="2019-12-26 04:35:19" ] You can't say a meal is terrible just because you decided to eat it before it even has most of the ingredients put in. [/quote] Yes, but you can side eye the cook if they don't practice basic cooking hygiene. Personally, I think it's best to avoid the game until the dev is actually able to prove their claims. [/quote] I'm not telling people to buy the game. To be honest, I would have held off on buying it until later had I known all this would happen. I'm just saying that people need to chill out until it has had a little more time to be worked on. All this drama is only making the situation worse.
Demonically wrote on 2019-12-26 06:23:27:

I'm not telling people to buy the game. To be honest, I would have held off on buying it until later had I known all this would happen. I'm just saying that people need to chill out until it has had a little more time to be worked on. All this drama is only making the situation worse.
1 2 3 4 5 6