Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Flight Rising OCT interest check?
1 2 3
@ClosetFurry I've done OCTs before, and a FR one could be lots of fun :D But they're pretty time-consuming, so I don't know if I'd be able to join since I doubt I'd have the free time... Definitely still interested in checking it out either way, though!
@ClosetFurry I've done OCTs before, and a FR one could be lots of fun :D But they're pretty time-consuming, so I don't know if I'd be able to join since I doubt I'd have the free time... Definitely still interested in checking it out either way, though!
Accents - HIATUS | Adoptables - occasionally open y'all
@chaosheart13 @Th13teen @BeingofNature @LeahR95 @Mirmulnir @Skylinne @Shuuya @JellyParrot @Coldblooded @dioptasy @Kowloon

(Dang I hope I got all'a those right ;u;))

Hello everyone! Since you've all expressed interest in this thing, I'd like to gather your opinions on a few questions regarding the OCT and how it'll be run. I'd also like to apologise for not doing much with this idea so far- exams have made me a very busy student, lately!~

How long would you like each round to be?
Do you find a two-dragon character limit (where either both are combatants or one is a combatant whilst the other is a spectator) fair?
Do you feel it would be fair to allow collaborative pairs to enter, with the understanding that any and all prizes would have to be split between the individuals involved?
Would you be okay with allowing your opponent to kill your dragon in their entry? Would you prefer permission to be sought first?
What sort of prizes would you be interested in?

More questions to come as I think of them.
In an update, I've been working some on coming up with the driving plot for the OCT. Its looking like the OCT is going to be a search by the existing 11 deities to find a dragon worthy to ascend to godhood to help drive back the Shade. Of course this is liable to change if I can come up with something better.
The OCT would likely be set on an island, some way East of the Sunbeam Ruins. It'd be run by 11 NPCs, each an envoy for their respective deity. NPCs wouldn't have to be present in entries, so don't worry too much about how many there'll be |D
@chaosheart13 @Th13teen @BeingofNature @LeahR95 @Mirmulnir @Skylinne @Shuuya @JellyParrot @Coldblooded @dioptasy @Kowloon

(Dang I hope I got all'a those right ;u;))

Hello everyone! Since you've all expressed interest in this thing, I'd like to gather your opinions on a few questions regarding the OCT and how it'll be run. I'd also like to apologise for not doing much with this idea so far- exams have made me a very busy student, lately!~

Do you find a two-dragon character limit (where either both are combatants or one is a combatant whilst the other is a spectator) fair?
Do you feel it would be fair to allow collaborative pairs to enter, with the understanding that any and all prizes would have to be split between the individuals involved?
Would you be okay with allowing your opponent to kill your dragon in their entry? Would you prefer permission to be sought first?

More questions to come as I think of them.
In an update, I've been working some on coming up with the driving plot for the OCT. Its looking like the OCT is going to be a search by the existing 11 deities to find a dragon worthy to ascend to godhood to help drive back the Shade. Of course this is liable to change if I can come up with something better.
The OCT would likely be set on an island, some way East of the Sunbeam Ruins. It'd be run by 11 NPCs, each an envoy for their respective deity. NPCs wouldn't have to be present in entries, so don't worry too much about how many there'll be |D
ulz7t.gif7s19c.gifw4r7r.gif
@ClosetFurry Well... perhaps a week for each round perhaps? Or 5 days? It would also be good to have a Saturday/Sunday in there, so if people have school or work during the weekdays, they have at least one full day to work on their pieces? x3

2 character limit is fine by me! (I'd only be using one dragon anyways... heh)

Uhh... I guess that would be fine by me? x3 And, some people may start forming teams or pairs within the OCT so yeah, don't put a strict ban on it, but maybe some guidelines around it?

I think I'd want permission for my character to die. My OC is actually pretty dang hard to kill (years of experimentation and torture /DO/ come in handy I guess xD)
I have developed some ways for him to die though - you'll just have to be super observant with it~

Prizes? Hmm... art, TR/G prizes, apparel. Dragons maybe - I'm only looking for particular things currently~

Also - is it alright to do mixed entries? Because I was thinking of doing either one big piece of art and then a few lines of text underneath explaining or (more likely) writing and then illustrating key/funny points from the text.
Would that be ok?
@ClosetFurry Well... perhaps a week for each round perhaps? Or 5 days? It would also be good to have a Saturday/Sunday in there, so if people have school or work during the weekdays, they have at least one full day to work on their pieces? x3

2 character limit is fine by me! (I'd only be using one dragon anyways... heh)

Uhh... I guess that would be fine by me? x3 And, some people may start forming teams or pairs within the OCT so yeah, don't put a strict ban on it, but maybe some guidelines around it?

I think I'd want permission for my character to die. My OC is actually pretty dang hard to kill (years of experimentation and torture /DO/ come in handy I guess xD)
I have developed some ways for him to die though - you'll just have to be super observant with it~

Prizes? Hmm... art, TR/G prizes, apparel. Dragons maybe - I'm only looking for particular things currently~

Also - is it alright to do mixed entries? Because I was thinking of doing either one big piece of art and then a few lines of text underneath explaining or (more likely) writing and then illustrating key/funny points from the text.
Would that be ok?
Seeking Old Dragons! Forever collecting October 1st 2013 dragons. Previously BeingOfNature
anim_86a53b49-f48f-6cb4-b922-5902a73d3a36.gif
Old Art Thread
3DS FC: 0259-0316-2794 Pokemon Y
Oh hey, time to answer some questions!

1. How long should each round be. Hm...I'd say two to three weeks might be enough time for someone to make something decent?
2. I'm fine with a two dragon character limit, just have to wait and see what others have to say about it.
3. Collaborative pairs? Hm...I'm honestly not sure how to feel about this. I understand that the prizes will be split and all, but I feel as though it would be a little unfair if one artist or writer happens to latch on to a person that's better than them art/writing-wise. Honestly, I don't know about this one.
4. I want permission first, dang it. I need my dragons for my stories.
5. Prizes? Well people love getting new, pretty dragons. There's also apparel to think about. Hm...what else...Battle items people are interested, like Ambush (Though I have no idea why people are so interested in it.). And maybe some art from your end? That's all I can think of at the moment.

Oooh, that sounds like an interesting plot, even if it does throw canon for a loop. XD Can't wait to see what else you have planned!
Oh hey, time to answer some questions!

1. How long should each round be. Hm...I'd say two to three weeks might be enough time for someone to make something decent?
2. I'm fine with a two dragon character limit, just have to wait and see what others have to say about it.
3. Collaborative pairs? Hm...I'm honestly not sure how to feel about this. I understand that the prizes will be split and all, but I feel as though it would be a little unfair if one artist or writer happens to latch on to a person that's better than them art/writing-wise. Honestly, I don't know about this one.
4. I want permission first, dang it. I need my dragons for my stories.
5. Prizes? Well people love getting new, pretty dragons. There's also apparel to think about. Hm...what else...Battle items people are interested, like Ambush (Though I have no idea why people are so interested in it.). And maybe some art from your end? That's all I can think of at the moment.

Oooh, that sounds like an interesting plot, even if it does throw canon for a loop. XD Can't wait to see what else you have planned!
54575ca4be9c6783ff74c69cb15435f9.jpg
1. I don't really know about how long rounds should be, I've never participated in an OCT before! I do think they should be AT LEAST a week long so people can come up with something

2. Two dragon limit sounds fine; i just have to figure out who else is joining besides my warrior, Chirp, lol

3. I'm not sure i like the idea of collab pairs... maybe if there were strict guidelines? idk

4. i want permission first! and since I'll probs be using my warrior girl with platinum armor, i would appreciate if she put up a good fight!

5. I think there should be prize packs. I participated in a Wavecrest event where people/spectators of the event donated items and the person running it separated items into packs. First prize winners got their pick of ONE prize pack; the lower your score in the event, the less you get to choose from, but at least get something :) I don't know how many people would want to donate prizes though, and I doubt participants would want to donate a prize, which is why there should be a spectator booth or something for people who want to watch the OCT but dont want to participate in it

that sounds like a neat plot!
1. I don't really know about how long rounds should be, I've never participated in an OCT before! I do think they should be AT LEAST a week long so people can come up with something

2. Two dragon limit sounds fine; i just have to figure out who else is joining besides my warrior, Chirp, lol

3. I'm not sure i like the idea of collab pairs... maybe if there were strict guidelines? idk

4. i want permission first! and since I'll probs be using my warrior girl with platinum armor, i would appreciate if she put up a good fight!

5. I think there should be prize packs. I participated in a Wavecrest event where people/spectators of the event donated items and the person running it separated items into packs. First prize winners got their pick of ONE prize pack; the lower your score in the event, the less you get to choose from, but at least get something :) I don't know how many people would want to donate prizes though, and I doubt participants would want to donate a prize, which is why there should be a spectator booth or something for people who want to watch the OCT but dont want to participate in it

that sounds like a neat plot!
ho5M9.gif2IGO4.gifobKSC.gif
This is writing, art, etc, correct? I would give about two weeks, maybe one week for any writing-only rounds if you had them for some reason.

Personally, I'd only use one. It's judged based on the art, not the dragons, so if one fails it's just as possible the other will. On the other hand, if another person is really good, they'd be knocking out two others per round. I feel like two combatants would be okay, but it should be clearly stated than it may or may not put you at a disadvantage if you choose only one.

Sure! In fact, it sounds like a great idea. Maybe have special rounds for that, and other rounds be individual?

Yes, I would. Only the winning entry is the one advancing the story line, so I don't see why it would matter, and it's not like we have to exalt our dragons or whatever if they "die". It would be nice if someone asked my permission, but then again I'd just say "sure" anyways so they'd be saving me time to just do it. x3

I do understand people have stories and whatnot about their OCs, and dying in a tournament wouldn't fit into that, but personally I would just not count that as part of their actual life story.

Pretty dragons, especially Gen 1 and Gen 2. Alternatively, scrolls - they're more expensive, but between having a lot more choice and using them on dragons you currently own and love, I think they would be a better prize. Then again, it'd be easier to have just treasure and/or gems. x3

Additional thoughts on prizes:
There could be a set entry fee, say 15Kt and 5 gems per dragon (note this is per dragon, not per player), then prizes could be voted on by participants and the entry fee holder would buy those with the fees,or there could just be straight up monetary prizes.

If I got any details about how this would work, let me know and I'll edit my responses to reflect that. c: Everything is based on a previous OCT I participated in, from how it works to how I think it could be done better.
This is writing, art, etc, correct? I would give about two weeks, maybe one week for any writing-only rounds if you had them for some reason.

Personally, I'd only use one. It's judged based on the art, not the dragons, so if one fails it's just as possible the other will. On the other hand, if another person is really good, they'd be knocking out two others per round. I feel like two combatants would be okay, but it should be clearly stated than it may or may not put you at a disadvantage if you choose only one.

Sure! In fact, it sounds like a great idea. Maybe have special rounds for that, and other rounds be individual?

Yes, I would. Only the winning entry is the one advancing the story line, so I don't see why it would matter, and it's not like we have to exalt our dragons or whatever if they "die". It would be nice if someone asked my permission, but then again I'd just say "sure" anyways so they'd be saving me time to just do it. x3

I do understand people have stories and whatnot about their OCs, and dying in a tournament wouldn't fit into that, but personally I would just not count that as part of their actual life story.

Pretty dragons, especially Gen 1 and Gen 2. Alternatively, scrolls - they're more expensive, but between having a lot more choice and using them on dragons you currently own and love, I think they would be a better prize. Then again, it'd be easier to have just treasure and/or gems. x3

Additional thoughts on prizes:
There could be a set entry fee, say 15Kt and 5 gems per dragon (note this is per dragon, not per player), then prizes could be voted on by participants and the entry fee holder would buy those with the fees,or there could just be straight up monetary prizes.

If I got any details about how this would work, let me know and I'll edit my responses to reflect that. c: Everything is based on a previous OCT I participated in, from how it works to how I think it could be done better.
vvTo3kO.png

syJrt1N.gif
I mentioned I might not have the time to actually participate, but I'll still answer questions if that's okay!

- Depends on how substantial you'd like it to be, what format you'd like to include, etc etc. I've only participated in comic-based OCTs before and boy are they time-consuming as hell (for both the participants and the mods). There were about 5-8 weeks per round and I was still always hurting for time. For smaller formats like single illustrations, short stories, etc maybe a bit less time, say 3-5 weeks?
- I've known some people to go absolutely nuts with their number of spectator characters and create over a dozen of them for one OCT, and spectator characters tend to not affect the actual tournament, so I understood when previous OCTs didn't limit them. Though if you have a reason to limit them, yeah, sounds good! For combatants, it's better for just one. Having two entries to make per round would split the artist/writer's energy and there'd be more logistics to work out (how judging would work, for example).
- I think it would be fair. They'd have a lot of things to work out amongst themselves, though.
- eh sure. Others might mind though, so for their sake it'd always be better to ask.
- Treasure, gems, rare items, scrolls, etc. Perhaps have smaller prizes per round, to keep the excitement going throughout.
I mentioned I might not have the time to actually participate, but I'll still answer questions if that's okay!

- Depends on how substantial you'd like it to be, what format you'd like to include, etc etc. I've only participated in comic-based OCTs before and boy are they time-consuming as hell (for both the participants and the mods). There were about 5-8 weeks per round and I was still always hurting for time. For smaller formats like single illustrations, short stories, etc maybe a bit less time, say 3-5 weeks?
- I've known some people to go absolutely nuts with their number of spectator characters and create over a dozen of them for one OCT, and spectator characters tend to not affect the actual tournament, so I understood when previous OCTs didn't limit them. Though if you have a reason to limit them, yeah, sounds good! For combatants, it's better for just one. Having two entries to make per round would split the artist/writer's energy and there'd be more logistics to work out (how judging would work, for example).
- I think it would be fair. They'd have a lot of things to work out amongst themselves, though.
- eh sure. Others might mind though, so for their sake it'd always be better to ask.
- Treasure, gems, rare items, scrolls, etc. Perhaps have smaller prizes per round, to keep the excitement going throughout.
Accents - HIATUS | Adoptables - occasionally open y'all
Depends on the intensity of the plot. If we are expected to tell an ongoing story through our rounds, or follow some plot that's been set up, I'd want a month. That allows for planning time, and drawing time, barring any major complications in real life. If it's just pitting two dragons against each other, 2 weeks is fair to keep it going quickly and still have time to at least sketch stuff up.

The more characters, the harder to keep track of them all. x.x I like smaller numbers.

Sure. As long as they team up beforehand, and know that one person on the team dropping the ball doesn't give the other person a free pass or a reason to ask for a time extension or something.

As long as a "your dragon may be killed" is stated first and formost when you are joining, I'd be fine with that. I was in a homestuck OCT where the person I was against specifically asked me not to kill their character, and because mine had been characterized the previous round as very much going to kill everyone, I had to bend over backwards to try and find a reason for him to NOT do so, and my story suffered for it. I am not a fan of your opponent getting to put restrictions and limitations on your creative process.

Gems, gem items, sprites, rare or retired things! Dragons or other low cost items, not so much. People are going to be devoting hours and hours and weeks to the oct, I'd want the prizes to be something at least worth the time! If I can earn 10k treasure a day, but instead spend that day drawing...

A dragon OCT would be pretty fun I think! It'd ultimately depend on the story of why the dragons are going up against each other, when the OCT is, and how many people there are, as well as the prizes for me, because it is a big time investment. But I've been a part of five other OCTs, one of them writing, the other four drawing, and made it to the semifinals in two of them. The other three died and were never completed due to lack of participants and founder support. >> So I'm leery of stepping into something not totally backed and supported by both the people making it and the people participating, but I'd still be willing to give it a shot!
Depends on the intensity of the plot. If we are expected to tell an ongoing story through our rounds, or follow some plot that's been set up, I'd want a month. That allows for planning time, and drawing time, barring any major complications in real life. If it's just pitting two dragons against each other, 2 weeks is fair to keep it going quickly and still have time to at least sketch stuff up.

The more characters, the harder to keep track of them all. x.x I like smaller numbers.

Sure. As long as they team up beforehand, and know that one person on the team dropping the ball doesn't give the other person a free pass or a reason to ask for a time extension or something.

As long as a "your dragon may be killed" is stated first and formost when you are joining, I'd be fine with that. I was in a homestuck OCT where the person I was against specifically asked me not to kill their character, and because mine had been characterized the previous round as very much going to kill everyone, I had to bend over backwards to try and find a reason for him to NOT do so, and my story suffered for it. I am not a fan of your opponent getting to put restrictions and limitations on your creative process.

Gems, gem items, sprites, rare or retired things! Dragons or other low cost items, not so much. People are going to be devoting hours and hours and weeks to the oct, I'd want the prizes to be something at least worth the time! If I can earn 10k treasure a day, but instead spend that day drawing...

A dragon OCT would be pretty fun I think! It'd ultimately depend on the story of why the dragons are going up against each other, when the OCT is, and how many people there are, as well as the prizes for me, because it is a big time investment. But I've been a part of five other OCTs, one of them writing, the other four drawing, and made it to the semifinals in two of them. The other three died and were never completed due to lack of participants and founder support. >> So I'm leery of stepping into something not totally backed and supported by both the people making it and the people participating, but I'd still be willing to give it a shot!
f2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.gif
@ClosetFurry

I would love to join! And I agree with @BeingOfNature for everything except for prizes, for those I think you should do like a list of prizes. The winner of first place picks, like, 4 items, second place picks 3, etc, something like that.
@ClosetFurry

I would love to join! And I agree with @BeingOfNature for everything except for prizes, for those I think you should do like a list of prizes. The winner of first place picks, like, 4 items, second place picks 3, etc, something like that.
I HAVE LEFT FR
1502_100px_cut3si_by_miirshroom-dc8epbq.pngiAOOnOx.gif
@Gaia this thread has been necro'd
@Gaia this thread has been necro'd
Seeking Old Dragons! Forever collecting October 1st 2013 dragons. Previously BeingOfNature
anim_86a53b49-f48f-6cb4-b922-5902a73d3a36.gif
Old Art Thread
3DS FC: 0259-0316-2794 Pokemon Y
1 2 3