Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Flight Rising OCT interest check?
1 2 3
Greetings, all!

For a while now, I've been toying with the idea of hosting a Flight Rising OCT. They're a lot of fun, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be allowed (Though I'm sure a Mod will inform me if there are issues with hosting them on-site).

I wanted to check if any of the talented artists of FR would be interested in such a contest? After all, there's no point in hosting an OCT if nobody's gonna want to enter |D

For those of you who are unfamiliar with what OCTs are/ want to know how this one'll work, lemme answer a few questions I presume you might ask~

What is an OCT? How does it work?
An OCT (or Original Character Tournament) is somewhat similar to an art contest, in a sense. Participants are paired up to depict their characters fighting one another. The one judged to be the best becomes 'canon', and the participant moves onto the next round to fight again.
A lot of OCTs are run on DeviantArt- if you want to see some examples, you could always have a look at some on there!~

Are there prizes? What would they be?
OCTs are a lot of effort, and effort is definitely a thing to be rewarded! I can't say for sure what sort of prizes would be offered, but it would likely include site currency, items, and maybe even some art!
It'd be super cool if, supposing the OCT were to become a real thing, spectators offered to donate prizes! I'm getting a little ahead of myself, though~

How will pieces be judged?
For the most part? On storyline, and accuracy in character writing. A participant might gain 'bonus' points for how polished the entry looks, but the main focus would be on story etc.
For example, if an artist were to send in a gorgeous painting but it lacked any story, versus, say, a sketchy comic with a very well developed story, the comic would be the one to win in that scenario.

I can only write. Can I still join?
This may depend on what future judges are willing to judge- but hopefully, yes! Writing is just as much an art form as drawing, and I would hate to turn people away just for using a different medium! ;n;
That said, all drawing mediums are allowed, too! Comics, single images, images backed up with writing- even animation, if you're up to it!

Don't some mediums have an advantage over others?
I suppose they might! It /is/ easier to tell a story in some mediums than others. I suppose it all depends on how well the artist can manage their medium!

If you've any other questions, feel free to ask!

If you're interested in participating, judging- or even just watching, please post ouo I have no idea when this would be run (hopefully wayyy in the future when nobody is struggling through exams haha), but it'll be good to see how much interest there is~
Greetings, all!

For a while now, I've been toying with the idea of hosting a Flight Rising OCT. They're a lot of fun, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be allowed (Though I'm sure a Mod will inform me if there are issues with hosting them on-site).

I wanted to check if any of the talented artists of FR would be interested in such a contest? After all, there's no point in hosting an OCT if nobody's gonna want to enter |D

For those of you who are unfamiliar with what OCTs are/ want to know how this one'll work, lemme answer a few questions I presume you might ask~

What is an OCT? How does it work?
An OCT (or Original Character Tournament) is somewhat similar to an art contest, in a sense. Participants are paired up to depict their characters fighting one another. The one judged to be the best becomes 'canon', and the participant moves onto the next round to fight again.
A lot of OCTs are run on DeviantArt- if you want to see some examples, you could always have a look at some on there!~

Are there prizes? What would they be?
OCTs are a lot of effort, and effort is definitely a thing to be rewarded! I can't say for sure what sort of prizes would be offered, but it would likely include site currency, items, and maybe even some art!
It'd be super cool if, supposing the OCT were to become a real thing, spectators offered to donate prizes! I'm getting a little ahead of myself, though~

How will pieces be judged?
For the most part? On storyline, and accuracy in character writing. A participant might gain 'bonus' points for how polished the entry looks, but the main focus would be on story etc.
For example, if an artist were to send in a gorgeous painting but it lacked any story, versus, say, a sketchy comic with a very well developed story, the comic would be the one to win in that scenario.

I can only write. Can I still join?
This may depend on what future judges are willing to judge- but hopefully, yes! Writing is just as much an art form as drawing, and I would hate to turn people away just for using a different medium! ;n;
That said, all drawing mediums are allowed, too! Comics, single images, images backed up with writing- even animation, if you're up to it!

Don't some mediums have an advantage over others?
I suppose they might! It /is/ easier to tell a story in some mediums than others. I suppose it all depends on how well the artist can manage their medium!

If you've any other questions, feel free to ask!

If you're interested in participating, judging- or even just watching, please post ouo I have no idea when this would be run (hopefully wayyy in the future when nobody is struggling through exams haha), but it'll be good to see how much interest there is~
ulz7t.gif7s19c.gifw4r7r.gif
Oh, and OCT? I've seen a lot of those on dA but I was never really able to enter one due to me being lazy and the fact that they just accept art and not writing. orz I definitely support this to become a thing, it would bring a lot of good artists and writers (possibly) together.
Oh, and OCT? I've seen a lot of those on dA but I was never really able to enter one due to me being lazy and the fact that they just accept art and not writing. orz I definitely support this to become a thing, it would bring a lot of good artists and writers (possibly) together.
54575ca4be9c6783ff74c69cb15435f9.jpg
I'd be interested!
I'd be interested!
tumblr_ndzarciQjc1si697do1_500.png
@chaosheart13 haha, I hear you |D I tried to enter one or two but uh
wee bit on the lazy side~

@Th13teen Sweet!~
@chaosheart13 haha, I hear you |D I tried to enter one or two but uh
wee bit on the lazy side~

@Th13teen Sweet!~
ulz7t.gif7s19c.gifw4r7r.gif
@ClosetFurry *screeches in* I WANT IN ON ARTS BECAUSE ARTS AND GII I MEAN SERIOUSLY LOOK AT HER INFO BIT. ~~The Fun Adventures Of Gii, Yachaziel and Baby Orion and Promptly Thereafter Amarah, at the Mistral Gala 2014~~ [img]http://i.imgur.com/FE5XYBT.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/uJ7IiYi.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/jG5pERB.png [img]http://i.imgur.com/Gto7hj5.png [img]http://i.imgur.com/4L0ssIf.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/Jk9UZo1.png[/img] [img]http://gickr.com/results3/anim_8bd3323f-3092-f1d4-7d16-741cb7d6305c.gif[/img]
@ClosetFurry

*screeches in*
I WANT IN ON ARTS BECAUSE ARTS AND GII
I MEAN SERIOUSLY LOOK AT HER INFO BIT.
~~The Fun Adventures Of Gii, Yachaziel and Baby Orion and Promptly Thereafter Amarah, at the Mistral Gala 2014~~
FE5XYBT.png
uJ7IiYi.png
jG5pERB.pngGto7hj5.png4L0ssIf.png
Jk9UZo1.png

anim_8bd3323f-3092-f1d4-7d16-741cb7d6305c.gif
Seeking Old Dragons! Forever collecting October 1st 2013 dragons. Previously BeingOfNature
anim_86a53b49-f48f-6cb4-b922-5902a73d3a36.gif
Old Art Thread
3DS FC: 0259-0316-2794 Pokemon Y
@BeingOfNature

Omg you have the best Guardian I can't XD
@BeingOfNature

Omg you have the best Guardian I can't XD
54575ca4be9c6783ff74c69cb15435f9.jpg
@chaosheart13 xD Haha, thank you! Yes, I love Gii~ She's the oldest dragon in my lair! x3 I love her soooo much! *huggles Gii close*
@chaosheart13 xD Haha, thank you! Yes, I love Gii~ She's the oldest dragon in my lair! x3 I love her soooo much! *huggles Gii close*
Seeking Old Dragons! Forever collecting October 1st 2013 dragons. Previously BeingOfNature
anim_86a53b49-f48f-6cb4-b922-5902a73d3a36.gif
Old Art Thread
3DS FC: 0259-0316-2794 Pokemon Y
i would be interested, ive never done an oct before. i could do art if thats the only thing allowed but my scanner sucks so i would prefer writing
i would be interested, ive never done an oct before. i could do art if thats the only thing allowed but my scanner sucks so i would prefer writing
ho5M9.gif2IGO4.gifobKSC.gif
I've never even heard of an OCT before, but it seems really interesting.
I've never even heard of an OCT before, but it seems really interesting.
Looking for a Male Forest/Sand/? Mirror, preferably 1st Gen with ice eyes!
Levin-Incarnate---Glamour-Signature---Created-by-Serinde_zps204eda15.png

tmXWTab.png
I'd love to join if this were to really happen!
I'd love to join if this were to really happen!
1 2 3