Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Any dragons with disabilities?
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15
My depression gets pretty bad when I hear about how screwed up the world is. I go into these serious depressive episodes where I go, 'wonderful, another atrocity,' and my faith in humanity slips into negative numbers.
My depression gets pretty bad when I hear about how screwed up the world is. I go into these serious depressive episodes where I go, 'wonderful, another atrocity,' and my faith in humanity slips into negative numbers.
phke_zpsfbf77644.png
I have cerebral palsy (right sided hemiplegia), which means the entire right side of my body doesn't move very well. I'm able to walk fine by myself most of the time without aid, but my balance isn't very good, and I've been noticing I've been falling more and more lately. Because of tripping and falling so much my knees are starting to give me trouble from the wear and tear ...and I'm only 21 :c

I also have severe depression and anxiety issues, which to me is much more of a disability than the CP.
I have cerebral palsy (right sided hemiplegia), which means the entire right side of my body doesn't move very well. I'm able to walk fine by myself most of the time without aid, but my balance isn't very good, and I've been noticing I've been falling more and more lately. Because of tripping and falling so much my knees are starting to give me trouble from the wear and tear ...and I'm only 21 :c

I also have severe depression and anxiety issues, which to me is much more of a disability than the CP.
I think I probably have Asperger's or something similar but I don't want to get diagnosed 'til I'm on my own, for personal reasons.
At any rate, there's something up with me and I'm sure there must be ~some~ name for it. Being able to definitively classify it one day would give me quite a bit of peace, actually.
... I've also definitely got anxiety issues, but I'm not really sure why. Erp.
I think I probably have Asperger's or something similar but I don't want to get diagnosed 'til I'm on my own, for personal reasons.
At any rate, there's something up with me and I'm sure there must be ~some~ name for it. Being able to definitively classify it one day would give me quite a bit of peace, actually.
... I've also definitely got anxiety issues, but I'm not really sure why. Erp.
ctFAI4k.gif
@Grayven @ohlookahails @zainin @dragoon @Vaitou Migrane buddies! (Dragoon you're close enough so you count :p), not exactly a yay but.. yay? D: Any of you had problems with people not believing you when it comes to having constant migranes?

Was the bane of my life during my final year of GSCE (final exams at 16 for anyone who isn't familiar) since I could never do a full week, manage Mon/Tues/Wed then was just too bad to attend Thurs/Fri.
Was constantly chewed out by my head of year for lying/making it up, which just made it worse. Didn't help I took Drama (though condition started up after picking Drama, so not a lot I could do) with a class who just loved strobe lighting. One hit of that was migrane central.
Got slightly better as I went into A levels, though now I've finished them it's randomly decided to get worse again, possibly due to having decent weather this summer for once.

Anything bright is a big no go for me, more so flourescent lighting when with SMART boards and computer screens.
Usually alright with my own monitor, possibly because I keep the room dim (but not too dim) and have an up to date monitor, not those old box ones they had in school.

(Sorry if I missed anyone, mid migrane as it is and trying to read large amounts of text is bleh.)

Corrected badly spelt pings, migrane whoop D:
@Grayven @ohlookahails @zainin @dragoon @Vaitou Migrane buddies! (Dragoon you're close enough so you count :p), not exactly a yay but.. yay? D: Any of you had problems with people not believing you when it comes to having constant migranes?

Was the bane of my life during my final year of GSCE (final exams at 16 for anyone who isn't familiar) since I could never do a full week, manage Mon/Tues/Wed then was just too bad to attend Thurs/Fri.
Was constantly chewed out by my head of year for lying/making it up, which just made it worse. Didn't help I took Drama (though condition started up after picking Drama, so not a lot I could do) with a class who just loved strobe lighting. One hit of that was migrane central.
Got slightly better as I went into A levels, though now I've finished them it's randomly decided to get worse again, possibly due to having decent weather this summer for once.

Anything bright is a big no go for me, more so flourescent lighting when with SMART boards and computer screens.
Usually alright with my own monitor, possibly because I keep the room dim (but not too dim) and have an up to date monitor, not those old box ones they had in school.

(Sorry if I missed anyone, mid migrane as it is and trying to read large amounts of text is bleh.)

Corrected badly spelt pings, migrane whoop D:
Oh man. I don't have any physical disabilities, but my mental ones are just as crippling.

I've got ADD, which is handleable. I used to have bad depression, but have mostly gotten out of that rut. I have pretty serious anxiety (it usually comes out of nowhere for no apparent reason, and I've had attacks at work several times.), I'm a hypocondriac also.
And worst of all, my OCD drives me nuts. I trace letters and numbers with my eyes on certain words. I will repeat doing the same action several times, like a tape that's stuck, until I've satisfied whatever little voice is telling me to do said thing. The OCD can also trigger panic attacks if I try to break the repetitive action, which is just fantabulous.

Also,is having zero social skills a disability?
Oh man. I don't have any physical disabilities, but my mental ones are just as crippling.

I've got ADD, which is handleable. I used to have bad depression, but have mostly gotten out of that rut. I have pretty serious anxiety (it usually comes out of nowhere for no apparent reason, and I've had attacks at work several times.), I'm a hypocondriac also.
And worst of all, my OCD drives me nuts. I trace letters and numbers with my eyes on certain words. I will repeat doing the same action several times, like a tape that's stuck, until I've satisfied whatever little voice is telling me to do said thing. The OCD can also trigger panic attacks if I try to break the repetitive action, which is just fantabulous.

Also,is having zero social skills a disability?
FRNyahahahaa_zps32872787.png
[quote name="Stanzascale" date="2013-07-08 04:23:15" url="main.php?p=mb&board=gend&page=1&id=365787#368944"]WHOOP! You're the fourth person I've met on this site who's an aspie. One of the others being ME. :D *high-five I admit for a moment I thought you were asking if any of our clan dragons, whom we write about, had disabilities. (If you're interested, Belttissa's kinda blind during the day and Melreyna's an aspie.)[/quote] LOL, I thought the op was asking if our dragons had disabilities too XD! I have hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia. I also get severe migraines. I'm not sure there are perfectly normal human beings, but my dragons are all pretty healthy so far :D
WHOOP! You're the fourth person I've met on this site who's an aspie. One of the others being ME. :D
*high-five

I admit for a moment I thought you were asking if any of our clan dragons, whom we write about, had disabilities. (If you're interested, Belttissa's kinda blind during the day and Melreyna's an aspie.)

LOL, I thought the op was asking if our dragons had disabilities too XD! I have hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia. I also get severe migraines. I'm not sure there are perfectly normal human beings, but my dragons are all pretty healthy so far :D
I am also on T5CmrJd.png
i have severe social anxiety as well as depression. i was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia at age 16.
i have severe social anxiety as well as depression. i was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia at age 16.
@Sakurawr yeah, that's the worst, when people insist you're a liar/making it up/trying to be lazy. The only think i can recommend is to see a doctor and lay your soul out to them, express how much this distresses you and hope they take an interest. People were content to assume i was just faking and it took me passing out in the middle of job core (which i was sent to to learn how to be a suitable member of society and quit faking sooo it was hell and i didn't belong there) for anyone to decide to take an interest and run tests to see what was really up. I hope you don't have to go through the same.

For migraines riboflavin and magnesium seem to help me out, my neurologist has me on them so maybe mention those to a doctor when you see one.
@Sakurawr yeah, that's the worst, when people insist you're a liar/making it up/trying to be lazy. The only think i can recommend is to see a doctor and lay your soul out to them, express how much this distresses you and hope they take an interest. People were content to assume i was just faking and it took me passing out in the middle of job core (which i was sent to to learn how to be a suitable member of society and quit faking sooo it was hell and i didn't belong there) for anyone to decide to take an interest and run tests to see what was really up. I hope you don't have to go through the same.

For migraines riboflavin and magnesium seem to help me out, my neurologist has me on them so maybe mention those to a doctor when you see one.
I sell G2 Purebred Imps from dragons #181 and 182 Check my lair for listings.
@Vaitou Been with this for 3-4 years now (can't remember exactly when it started, but it's been the equal of 4 school years), tried with doctors originally. Got bounced around various places (had MRI, tests on my eyes since glaucoma runs in my father's side, but that came up negative and then various medications which proved to have little effect) and eventually was told it was just cluster migranes that would pass.

More than had enough now, though I'll likely wait until I move to try again(1-2 months now at the outside). Unless your old or a baby they don't seem interested down here, got told for 18 months that my bad back was just posture problems. Ended up going to a Chiropractor in the end D:

I'll keep those two in mind, right now I'm willing to try about anything, as paracetamol has very little to no effect and I can't take aspirin (if it'd make any difference anyway).
@Vaitou Been with this for 3-4 years now (can't remember exactly when it started, but it's been the equal of 4 school years), tried with doctors originally. Got bounced around various places (had MRI, tests on my eyes since glaucoma runs in my father's side, but that came up negative and then various medications which proved to have little effect) and eventually was told it was just cluster migranes that would pass.

More than had enough now, though I'll likely wait until I move to try again(1-2 months now at the outside). Unless your old or a baby they don't seem interested down here, got told for 18 months that my bad back was just posture problems. Ended up going to a Chiropractor in the end D:

I'll keep those two in mind, right now I'm willing to try about anything, as paracetamol has very little to no effect and I can't take aspirin (if it'd make any difference anyway).
My goodness all the hugs in the world for all OCD buddies and everyone else here too! I kind of can't count mine as a disorder that would truly make my life difficult, but it sometimes really puts an extra strain on my mental health...

Never been diagnosed except with panic disorder when I was a kid, and that is mostly gone (thank goodness) but I have strong OCD symptoms from time to time, I kind of relapse every now and then. Like when I don't sleep enough or just generally get up with a wrong foot. I'm so thankful it's never been that crippling but I get very anxious when it gets bad. :'( I'm so happy it's "only" OCD and I'm not losing my mind or anything. It's so much easier to control when I know those thoughts aren't "my own" and I'd never do things my ocd part of my brain forces me to think. Sometimes the compulsions are soooo hard to ignore and I give up but I try. The so called losing my mind is one of my biggest fears though. Also lol ocd kicks in here as I write this, now I'm afraid I'll totally go crazy when I "say it out loud". Gotta love this. On its mildest it's only annoyance over undone or badly done work. i'm a perfectionist by nature so it's hard to draw a line between the two sometimes. xD

For fellow dragons with mild/undiagnosed/controllable OCD/anxiety symptoms I really recommend meditation and general calming down, securing a good night's sleep, minimizing extra stress, doing sports (like take a walk or play with your pets outside!) and less computer time (no matter how much FUN fr is lol). Eat well and take care of yourself. Also for me minimizing loneliness and being social helps a Lot. Last autumn was hell because I had a rough time in my relationship and moved away from home the same time, practically having to form an entirely new everyday social structure and make new friends st the uni. Visiting a psychologist did wonders too because my symptoms, depression, anxiety, ocd etc. Usually come when I am stressed, sad or under a big change in life and when I talk about things that bother me, they get a lot smaller.

Now I am a very happy, outgoing person and I hope my ocd won't get bad ever again. It probably will, though. I would like to have children some day in. A few years and I'm sometime sreally afraid I'd relapse due to the pregnancy/giving birth stress and be unable to take the best of care of my child because of anxiety. I guess it's kind of stupid to be afraid of such wonderful and usually happy things but what can I do about myself. :(

I'd be super happy to know how you cope with your ocd/anxiety symptoms!
My goodness all the hugs in the world for all OCD buddies and everyone else here too! I kind of can't count mine as a disorder that would truly make my life difficult, but it sometimes really puts an extra strain on my mental health...

Never been diagnosed except with panic disorder when I was a kid, and that is mostly gone (thank goodness) but I have strong OCD symptoms from time to time, I kind of relapse every now and then. Like when I don't sleep enough or just generally get up with a wrong foot. I'm so thankful it's never been that crippling but I get very anxious when it gets bad. :'( I'm so happy it's "only" OCD and I'm not losing my mind or anything. It's so much easier to control when I know those thoughts aren't "my own" and I'd never do things my ocd part of my brain forces me to think. Sometimes the compulsions are soooo hard to ignore and I give up but I try. The so called losing my mind is one of my biggest fears though. Also lol ocd kicks in here as I write this, now I'm afraid I'll totally go crazy when I "say it out loud". Gotta love this. On its mildest it's only annoyance over undone or badly done work. i'm a perfectionist by nature so it's hard to draw a line between the two sometimes. xD

For fellow dragons with mild/undiagnosed/controllable OCD/anxiety symptoms I really recommend meditation and general calming down, securing a good night's sleep, minimizing extra stress, doing sports (like take a walk or play with your pets outside!) and less computer time (no matter how much FUN fr is lol). Eat well and take care of yourself. Also for me minimizing loneliness and being social helps a Lot. Last autumn was hell because I had a rough time in my relationship and moved away from home the same time, practically having to form an entirely new everyday social structure and make new friends st the uni. Visiting a psychologist did wonders too because my symptoms, depression, anxiety, ocd etc. Usually come when I am stressed, sad or under a big change in life and when I talk about things that bother me, they get a lot smaller.

Now I am a very happy, outgoing person and I hope my ocd won't get bad ever again. It probably will, though. I would like to have children some day in. A few years and I'm sometime sreally afraid I'd relapse due to the pregnancy/giving birth stress and be unable to take the best of care of my child because of anxiety. I guess it's kind of stupid to be afraid of such wonderful and usually happy things but what can I do about myself. :(

I'd be super happy to know how you cope with your ocd/anxiety symptoms!
.: the endless flight :.
.: FR nuzlocke story blog :.
also available on the forums here

DESPERATELY LF WC or COATL jade/tangerine shim/white-maize-ice OR CLOSE
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15