Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Any dragons with disabilities?
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15
@SunDragon: Yay, CP buddy! Mine is mild and affects my right side. :3
@SunDragon: Yay, CP buddy! Mine is mild and affects my right side. :3
@Salience Yay buddies. I've never met anyone else (on the internet or in person) that had cerebral palsy. Most of my friends don't even know what it is.
@Salience Yay buddies. I've never met anyone else (on the internet or in person) that had cerebral palsy. Most of my friends don't even know what it is.
ECNdq9d.png
@SunDragon: It's the most common childhood physical disability, and yet I do believe I'm the only person I know in real life who has it. It does have the tendency to be an invisible disability for the less severe forms though, so, maybe I've met lots of people with it!

Growing up we never referred to it as cerebral palsy unless talking to doctors. My mom told everyone that I had a 'lame side' because people didn't understand it. It's a very broad and complicated term. It's not something concrete, it affects the people who have it differently, so I think that has a lot to do with why it's not super commonly known.
@SunDragon: It's the most common childhood physical disability, and yet I do believe I'm the only person I know in real life who has it. It does have the tendency to be an invisible disability for the less severe forms though, so, maybe I've met lots of people with it!

Growing up we never referred to it as cerebral palsy unless talking to doctors. My mom told everyone that I had a 'lame side' because people didn't understand it. It's a very broad and complicated term. It's not something concrete, it affects the people who have it differently, so I think that has a lot to do with why it's not super commonly known.
@Casandraelf

Another Aspie here, although I try not to let it run my life. =) I also have adult ADD, Discalculia, fructose intolerance and nerve damage causing slowed reaction speed in my right hand. That about sums up my chips and cracks. =D

I'm splintered skilled (like being a savant without being so severely limited in other areas) in all kinds of literacy, and can read at a rate of ten words a second. The exception is oration and rhetoric, which I suck at since I stutter and lisp and trip over my words. Also I'm terrible at using tone of voice and tend to sound kind of cacophonous since I don't always know how loud I am, and rhetoric is especially hard since I don't really like to argue with people, for better or for worse.

I'm very good at memorizing facts and general data, but contrary to the stereotypes, I'm extremely and wildly emotional and very much capable of empathy, to a higher degree then average. I always describe myself as a bleeding heart; I guess it comes with the territory of being a poet.

Also, I seriously clicked on this topic thinking we'd be talking about our dragons on the site having disabilities...and I always say I don't have a problem with taking things too literally.
@Casandraelf

Another Aspie here, although I try not to let it run my life. =) I also have adult ADD, Discalculia, fructose intolerance and nerve damage causing slowed reaction speed in my right hand. That about sums up my chips and cracks. =D

I'm splintered skilled (like being a savant without being so severely limited in other areas) in all kinds of literacy, and can read at a rate of ten words a second. The exception is oration and rhetoric, which I suck at since I stutter and lisp and trip over my words. Also I'm terrible at using tone of voice and tend to sound kind of cacophonous since I don't always know how loud I am, and rhetoric is especially hard since I don't really like to argue with people, for better or for worse.

I'm very good at memorizing facts and general data, but contrary to the stereotypes, I'm extremely and wildly emotional and very much capable of empathy, to a higher degree then average. I always describe myself as a bleeding heart; I guess it comes with the territory of being a poet.

Also, I seriously clicked on this topic thinking we'd be talking about our dragons on the site having disabilities...and I always say I don't have a problem with taking things too literally.
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
@Salience That makes sense. People that know what it is don't guess that I have it. When I was young right after I got my diagnoses my mom was talking to a friend about it the friend didn't believe that I had it till my mom told her I'd been to a neurologist.

It is a very broad term. Once I went to a nurse practitioner for some paperwork for summer camp once and after she read my forms saying I had cerebral palsy she wanted to help me up and down from the examining table every time which was annoying.
@Salience That makes sense. People that know what it is don't guess that I have it. When I was young right after I got my diagnoses my mom was talking to a friend about it the friend didn't believe that I had it till my mom told her I'd been to a neurologist.

It is a very broad term. Once I went to a nurse practitioner for some paperwork for summer camp once and after she read my forms saying I had cerebral palsy she wanted to help me up and down from the examining table every time which was annoying.
ECNdq9d.png
I Have ADD and depression. Not sure if I have anything else, I do know that without my glasses I cannot see much of anything clearly past my arm length, everything gets to be blobs of random colors :D

I clicked here thinking this was about the dragons haha.
I Have ADD and depression. Not sure if I have anything else, I do know that without my glasses I cannot see much of anything clearly past my arm length, everything gets to be blobs of random colors :D

I clicked here thinking this was about the dragons haha.
@Zei I have Asperger's of the "higher-functioning" variety I think my therapist called it? Anyway, I was diagnosed at 6 and I was placed in classes for 'gifted' kids up until I was in high school. I guess my features that stuck out were my inability to discern body language, bluntness in conversation, and I like to talk about 'weird topics' (I like to talk about butts and stuff, butts are great) but I never felt out of place.
Oops got off topic but yeah they separated us but in a good/but not way because the other 'gifted' kids were children of rich and well-known people in my small community. ( My family is poor so yeah )
Yeah people wouldn't know I have Asperger's unless I told them so yay therapy.
So sorry for going on and on but yeah there you go.
@Zei I have Asperger's of the "higher-functioning" variety I think my therapist called it? Anyway, I was diagnosed at 6 and I was placed in classes for 'gifted' kids up until I was in high school. I guess my features that stuck out were my inability to discern body language, bluntness in conversation, and I like to talk about 'weird topics' (I like to talk about butts and stuff, butts are great) but I never felt out of place.
Oops got off topic but yeah they separated us but in a good/but not way because the other 'gifted' kids were children of rich and well-known people in my small community. ( My family is poor so yeah )
Yeah people wouldn't know I have Asperger's unless I told them so yay therapy.
So sorry for going on and on but yeah there you go.
Wow, so many people with disabilities! I know I said it before, but yay, I'm not alone!
Wow, so many people with disabilities! I know I said it before, but yay, I'm not alone!
phke_zpsfbf77644.png
I'm surprised at how many Aspies are on here. I'm not alone! :D

But I wonder, has anyone ever used your disability as an insult to your face? My sister does that to me regularly and I hate it.

But I wonder, has anyone ever used your disability as an insult to your face? My sister does that to me regularly and I hate it.
[quote name="revivaloflogic" date="2013-07-08 17:52:08" url="main.php?p=mb&board=gend&page=4&id=365787#383096"]I'm surprised at how many Aspies are on here. I'm not alone! :D But I wonder, has anyone ever used your disability as an insult to your face? My sister does that to me regularly and I hate it.[/quote] That's terrible. D= Makes me realize how supportive my sister is compared to what she could be.

That's terrible. D= Makes me realize how supportive my sister is compared to what she could be.
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15