Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Subnautica?
1 2
I got this game for Christmas, it’s downloading now so I haven’t had a chance to play it. I have seen images of it though and it seems downright gorgeous.
So I was wondering if any of you played it, did you like it? Is it just a survival game or is there a plot?
I got this game for Christmas, it’s downloading now so I haven’t had a chance to play it. I have seen images of it though and it seems downright gorgeous.
So I was wondering if any of you played it, did you like it? Is it just a survival game or is there a plot?
npc_scribbles_by_dogi_crimson-daevs0a.gif
It's a really cool game! It's primarily a survival game, though there's some story/lore littered around the world for you to find - mostly in logs from other people who have been on the planet. There's not a linear story that you have to follow, but if you explore long enough you'll discover that you can there is indeed an endgame with a solid goal.
It's a really cool game! It's primarily a survival game, though there's some story/lore littered around the world for you to find - mostly in logs from other people who have been on the planet. There's not a linear story that you have to follow, but if you explore long enough you'll discover that you can there is indeed an endgame with a solid goal.
e1po1oY.png xZ13MZk.png kd85lth.png
@Eurydise

Subnautica is definitely in my top 5 games. It *does* have a plot, though following it's optional. There's a lot of great lore. The writing is fantastic (and surprisingly funny, I laughed out loud here and there), so much so that my normally plotphobic self merrily followed along, but I digress.

Yes, it is gorgeous! Even playing on my potato laptop at the smallest resolution and with every setting turned down, it's gorgeous.

I think my single favorite thing about this game is that, despite being unscripted, it's delivered so many genuinely tense, amusing, and amazing moments. Example: I was exploring a late-game biome when my vehicle gave me a low-power warning. I got out to swap batteries, but--audible gasp of "oh god"--I'd forgotten to recharge them. Trapped at the bottom of the ocean with a dwindling oxygen supply, I was forced to abandon the relative safety of my vehicle, conserving its power for refilling my O2 tanks, and begin scavenging for components to build an emergency base. I don't want to blab too long, but let me just say I found some awesome things, nearly got eaten a bunch, and finally survived long enough to build on the cliff above a surprise discovery: one of the prettiest areas in an already very pretty game.

Lots of games wish they could script that good; Subnautica does it emergently.
@Eurydise

Subnautica is definitely in my top 5 games. It *does* have a plot, though following it's optional. There's a lot of great lore. The writing is fantastic (and surprisingly funny, I laughed out loud here and there), so much so that my normally plotphobic self merrily followed along, but I digress.

Yes, it is gorgeous! Even playing on my potato laptop at the smallest resolution and with every setting turned down, it's gorgeous.

I think my single favorite thing about this game is that, despite being unscripted, it's delivered so many genuinely tense, amusing, and amazing moments. Example: I was exploring a late-game biome when my vehicle gave me a low-power warning. I got out to swap batteries, but--audible gasp of "oh god"--I'd forgotten to recharge them. Trapped at the bottom of the ocean with a dwindling oxygen supply, I was forced to abandon the relative safety of my vehicle, conserving its power for refilling my O2 tanks, and begin scavenging for components to build an emergency base. I don't want to blab too long, but let me just say I found some awesome things, nearly got eaten a bunch, and finally survived long enough to build on the cliff above a surprise discovery: one of the prettiest areas in an already very pretty game.

Lots of games wish they could script that good; Subnautica does it emergently.
cL9yafY.gif
we at 17% merry christmas to meeeeee

I'm home sick today so this sounds like a fun time killer
we at 17% merry christmas to meeeeee

I'm home sick today so this sounds like a fun time killer
guardian_picfin_wout_size2_by_toru_kaze-dbrgtdy.jpg
It's really fun! It's sorta grindy at first but it'll get fun. Also, if you have it on xbox expect it to be glitchy, I have it on xbox and I'm still getting glitches and visual errors even after full release. I hope they fix it all soon...
It's really fun! It's sorta grindy at first but it'll get fun. Also, if you have it on xbox expect it to be glitchy, I have it on xbox and I'm still getting glitches and visual errors even after full release. I hope they fix it all soon...
tumblr_oidh0m676N1tv56zio10_250.png
ReignsWrath
She/Her
HS Student
Meme Dealer
In Eternal Fanderg Hell
Wishlist | Free Cauldron | For Sale(G1s and more!)
yx6on7Q.gif
It’s awesome! Also kinda scary in some places but overall fun and I’m super excited for the Arctic DLC so I can get those leviathans as fandergs
It’s awesome! Also kinda scary in some places but overall fun and I’m super excited for the Arctic DLC so I can get those leviathans as fandergs
Subnautica is an amazing game! Though I hope you don't scare too easily, it's not a horror game but it might as well be one, it can be really terrifying at times.

And... if you get stuck in the story line and you don't know where to go next, the answer is almost always...go deeper.
Subnautica is an amazing game! Though I hope you don't scare too easily, it's not a horror game but it might as well be one, it can be really terrifying at times.

And... if you get stuck in the story line and you don't know where to go next, the answer is almost always...go deeper.
Hoarding:
Wildwood Owlet 9 hours ahead of FR Sakura Owlet
OH YES
subnautica is tHE BOMB

I got it on my PC for free from Epic Games :0
I love it so much
I hate Reaper Leviathans. a lot >:( i almost screamed when i first met one : )

but if you're afraid of oceans (like me) you will almost always not want to go deeper (like me) but u gotta so lol
OH YES
subnautica is tHE BOMB

I got it on my PC for free from Epic Games :0
I love it so much
I hate Reaper Leviathans. a lot >:( i almost screamed when i first met one : )

but if you're afraid of oceans (like me) you will almost always not want to go deeper (like me) but u gotta so lol
Oup.gif
^ hi.. . my art ^
Amazing game! Super fun! Just don't get stuck under the map like I did :l
Amazing game! Super fun! Just don't get stuck under the map like I did :l
J7D1quC.png
0zy2W7P.png
LEpJMnn.png
jA5A7gu.png
I've watched an entire playthrough, am constantly being updated on its sequel by my wife who adores the game, and have played it myself - so I can confirm:

It's got some really neat lore, an interesting plot, and terrifying leviathan encounters aside, there's a ton of love and work put into the game and it shows.

It's fantastic!
I've watched an entire playthrough, am constantly being updated on its sequel by my wife who adores the game, and have played it myself - so I can confirm:

It's got some really neat lore, an interesting plot, and terrifying leviathan encounters aside, there's a ton of love and work put into the game and it shows.

It's fantastic!
JiPkeRv.png
1 2