Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | #UnnamedIsValid
1 2 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 162 163
[quote name="DragonSage" date="2018-09-21 15:39:02" ] The speculation about the coding of the coliseum is not necessarily accurate, only the site codes could tell us the exact nitty gritty of what is going on. Some of what is suggested doesn’t make sense to me as Unnamed dragons and hatchings already load in the coliseum, they just can’t be pulled into a team so it’s not that the coliseum can’t pull Unnamed dragons into a party. Before the coliseum revamp neither hatchlings nor Unnamed dragons show on the list of dragons they added the ability in the revamp. When you click on an Unnamed dragon or a hatchling, all the stats and stones can be viewed so that is not something that is generated when ‘registering’ the dragon. So it’s not going to increase load by having Unnamed dragons eligible as that information already exists [/quote] This is what I don't really understand about the explanation. Before the revamp, I always assumed there was a coding reason for unnamed to not show up, because they simply didn't. However, after the revamp, they all show up, just can't be selected, They act like pretty much all other ineligible dragons, many of which can be made eligible again by feeding etc.. I wish an admin would comment and say whether it is literally possible or not to have unnamed fight, or whether it was a choice they made to exclude them, but unfortunately we know they won't.
DragonSage wrote on 2018-09-21 15:39:02:
The speculation about the coding of the coliseum is not necessarily accurate, only the site codes could tell us the exact nitty gritty of what is going on. Some of what is suggested doesn’t make sense to me as Unnamed dragons and hatchings already load in the coliseum, they just can’t be pulled into a team so it’s not that the coliseum can’t pull Unnamed dragons into a party. Before the coliseum revamp neither hatchlings nor Unnamed dragons show on the list of dragons they added the ability in the revamp. When you click on an Unnamed dragon or a hatchling, all the stats and stones can be viewed so that is not something that is generated when ‘registering’ the dragon. So it’s not going to increase load by having Unnamed dragons eligible as that information already exists
This is what I don't really understand about the explanation. Before the revamp, I always assumed there was a coding reason for unnamed to not show up, because they simply didn't.

However, after the revamp, they all show up, just can't be selected, They act like pretty much all other ineligible dragons, many of which can be made eligible again by feeding etc..

I wish an admin would comment and say whether it is literally possible or not to have unnamed fight, or whether it was a choice they made to exclude them, but unfortunately we know they won't.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I don't understand what's so hard about naming a dragon if you want to spend the time training it up. It takes about 2 seconds to click "name" > "random" > "ok" - not that much time considering how many minutes/hours it'll take to train the thing
I don't understand what's so hard about naming a dragon if you want to spend the time training it up. It takes about 2 seconds to click "name" > "random" > "ok" - not that much time considering how many minutes/hours it'll take to train the thing
[quote name="Caliphone" date="2018-09-21 15:58:20" ] I don't understand what's so hard about naming a dragon if you want to spend the time training it up. It takes about 2 seconds to click "name" > "random" > "ok" - not that much time considering how many minutes/hours it'll take to train the thing [/quote] I don't understand this argument. Why do breeders always toss this onto the buyer when they have just as much ability to name before they sell as the buyer has to name before doing whatever with the dragon? I often see breeders/sellers calling exalters lazy for this but that can easily go back at the breeder/seller. They're the only ones bothered by unnamed in this situation so why not name before you sell???
Caliphone wrote on 2018-09-21 15:58:20:
I don't understand this argument. Why do breeders always toss this onto the buyer when they have just as much ability to name before they sell as the buyer has to name before doing whatever with the dragon?
I often see breeders/sellers calling exalters lazy for this but that can easily go back at the breeder/seller. They're the only ones bothered by unnamed in this situation so why not name before you sell???
~*My g1s for sale*~
She/Her
Baby bat goth
Chat with me anything Undertale/Deltarune
My avatar dragon (click)
[quote name="Caliphone" date="2018-09-21 15:58:20" ] I don't understand what's so hard about naming a dragon if you want to spend the time training it up. It takes about 2 seconds to click "name" > "random" > "ok" - not that much time considering how many minutes/hours it'll take to train the thing [/quote] If you train 100+ more dragons a day that are all unnamed, even if you use a singular fodder name like I do, it takes more time than you might think to name all of them. (No, the solution to this is not "train fewer dragons". Lol. The solution to this is also not "don't buy unnamed dragons" because I buy whatever's cheapest on the AH and most of those tend to be unnamed.)
Caliphone wrote on 2018-09-21 15:58:20:

If you train 100+ more dragons a day that are all unnamed, even if you use a singular fodder name like I do, it takes more time than you might think to name all of them.

(No, the solution to this is not "train fewer dragons". Lol. The solution to this is also not "don't buy unnamed dragons" because I buy whatever's cheapest on the AH and most of those tend to be unnamed.)
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
@Caliphone
Let me turn that argument around for you,
I dont understand what's so hard about naming a dragon before the breeder sells it, it takes about two seconds to click "name">"random">"ok", not that much time considering they're not planning on doing anything with it anyway.

Not trying to make fun of you or anything, but you see where our argument comes from now? Why should we the exalters/lore makers have to bother with naming OUR dragons that we bought or bred ourselves? Those dragons belong to us mind, body, and pixel. Once a dragon leaves a breeders lair it is no longer their dragon, and they have no say. So if they wish to keep unnamed out of their offspring list, the solution is very simple, as you pointed out. Just click the random name generator and boom, no more unnamed offspring.

Add to that, that during dominance when really hard core dom fighters are training dragons like mad, those 2 seconds add up, especially when you're exalting literal hundreds of dragons. Every hundred dragons trained and exalted means 200 seconds wasted, thats more then 3 minutes, which could have been six or more dragons trained by mire flyers and exalted in that time frame. And during heated dom conquest battles, even a number that small can make or break your victory.

There is also lore reasons to consider, many of us wish to have unnamed warriors, or in my case I want to simulate a guardian's journey to find his charge by running him through the coli, but guardians are only considered half a dragon until they get their charge, so it seems weird to me for them to have a name if they're not considered an actual dragon yet. I view this as the guardian's rite of passage to earn their name. Therefore I'd like to take a guardian through the coli unnamed, until a familiar drops that I dont yet have. That familiar would be the guardian's charge, and give them their name. NoName and Nameless have different connotations in this case, and so I cant properly use them. Both suggest the dragon did have a name and lost it somehow, or is otherwise hiding their name. Unnamed is the only one where I can 100% say the dragon has never had a name.
@Caliphone
Let me turn that argument around for you,
I dont understand what's so hard about naming a dragon before the breeder sells it, it takes about two seconds to click "name">"random">"ok", not that much time considering they're not planning on doing anything with it anyway.

Not trying to make fun of you or anything, but you see where our argument comes from now? Why should we the exalters/lore makers have to bother with naming OUR dragons that we bought or bred ourselves? Those dragons belong to us mind, body, and pixel. Once a dragon leaves a breeders lair it is no longer their dragon, and they have no say. So if they wish to keep unnamed out of their offspring list, the solution is very simple, as you pointed out. Just click the random name generator and boom, no more unnamed offspring.

Add to that, that during dominance when really hard core dom fighters are training dragons like mad, those 2 seconds add up, especially when you're exalting literal hundreds of dragons. Every hundred dragons trained and exalted means 200 seconds wasted, thats more then 3 minutes, which could have been six or more dragons trained by mire flyers and exalted in that time frame. And during heated dom conquest battles, even a number that small can make or break your victory.

There is also lore reasons to consider, many of us wish to have unnamed warriors, or in my case I want to simulate a guardian's journey to find his charge by running him through the coli, but guardians are only considered half a dragon until they get their charge, so it seems weird to me for them to have a name if they're not considered an actual dragon yet. I view this as the guardian's rite of passage to earn their name. Therefore I'd like to take a guardian through the coli unnamed, until a familiar drops that I dont yet have. That familiar would be the guardian's charge, and give them their name. NoName and Nameless have different connotations in this case, and so I cant properly use them. Both suggest the dragon did have a name and lost it somehow, or is otherwise hiding their name. Unnamed is the only one where I can 100% say the dragon has never had a name.
#UnnamedIsValid
Unnamed dragons need love too! There is no shame in having unnamed permas, having dragons with unnamed parents and/or offspring, or exalting unnamed dragons! Leaving dragons unnamed is a perfectly valid playstyle!

she/her or they/them
@Medenadragon - i used to think it was nice to give the buyer the opportunity to give their dragon a name without paying for a scroll, and therefore sold dragons as unnamed. these days i always name them something because I've learned the hard way. But it still seems a shame that if someone sees a dragon I bred that they like, they have to pay extra money to make it their own.

I still say it's a negligible amount of time compared to the amount of time it takes to train one, even if it does "add up"

If you want an unnamed dragon for lore reasons, why not 'unknown' or 'noname' or 'nameless'? or are all those flagged by the site too? (i honestly don't know)
@Medenadragon - i used to think it was nice to give the buyer the opportunity to give their dragon a name without paying for a scroll, and therefore sold dragons as unnamed. these days i always name them something because I've learned the hard way. But it still seems a shame that if someone sees a dragon I bred that they like, they have to pay extra money to make it their own.

I still say it's a negligible amount of time compared to the amount of time it takes to train one, even if it does "add up"

If you want an unnamed dragon for lore reasons, why not 'unknown' or 'noname' or 'nameless'? or are all those flagged by the site too? (i honestly don't know)
[quote name="Caliphone" date="2018-09-21 17:17:00" ] If you want an unnamed dragon for lore reasons, why not 'unknown' or 'noname' or 'nameless'? or are all those flagged by the site too? (i honestly don't know) [/quote] Because they can have different connotations and/or different aesthetics -Unknown suggests the dragon has a name they just don’t know it -Unnamed suggests it has not yet been named -Nameless suggests the dragon has a name and lost it or gave it up -NoName could go either way but aesthetically is ugly
Caliphone wrote on 2018-09-21 17:17:00:
Because they can have different connotations and/or different aesthetics
-Unknown suggests the dragon has a name they just don’t know it
-Unnamed suggests it has not yet been named
-Nameless suggests the dragon has a name and lost it or gave it up
-NoName could go either way but aesthetically is ugly
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
@Caliphone
As I stated at the end of my previous post NoName/Nameless has the connotation that a dragon may have had a name before, but either lost/forgot it, or is hiding their name from the other dragons. Unknown suggests the dragon is literally unknown, as in no one knows about them. Which for my dragon is untrue, hes a part of the clan, they all know him, he simply doesnt have a name yet. So although all of those are useable by the coli, they dont fit what I need. I know its a bit pedantic, but i really want to go in their with a truely unnamed dragon. Theres no room for wibbling with unnamed, it can only mean that a dragon has yet to recieve or find a name.

Also no offense but Im going to assume you're not too big into dom, and/or dont partake too much in heated dom battles. Some of the people here pretty much make that their livelihood, they live and breath this stuff, kinda like some extreme sports fans. Ive seen fully expanded exalting lairs that booted even their progens, just to have 200 empty slots for dom battles. Between those times they gain money to buy fodder by maxing out fairgrounds everyday. I'm also pretty sure I saw a flight loose a dom battle by 1 dragon. 1 lousy dragon stopped them from winning. 200 slots x 2 seconds is 400 seconds or almost 7 minutes per lair purge, provided they dont do anymore then that. Thats 12 or 13 dragons that didnt get exalted. Multiply that by however many dozens are participating in dom and the number is reaching into the hundreds. Even when not all the lairs are maxed out to the extreme, we're still talking about the equivelent of several hundred to possibly several thousand dragons worth of time lost over the week.

Consider that even if a major exalt lair only has 100 spaces, 6 dragons lost per lair purge x however many times they clean out their lair per day, lets say its only a double up, thats 12 dragons lost per day. Multiply that by 7 makes 84 dragons lost per week, multiply that by even 10 people that are dom heavy in a single flight and your already closing in on close to 1000 dragons worth of time lost over the week. And Im pretty sure the number of people that are dom heavy per flight is well over 10, and Im also pretty sure that some of the more hard core dom people can flip an entire lair more then twice per day, we're looking at thousands of dragons that could have been exalted, but werent.

If unnamed were to be allowed in coli, we would be seeing some far more epic dom battles, and we'd also see a lot more dragons exalted, something which the site needs to be honest, as we have too many dragons and its rather difficult for most people to sell them unless they are fodder priced.

But above all that its the principle of the matter. Why should I or anyone be resitricted in how we want to play with our dragons? I dont think allowing unnamed in the coli would particularly harm any portion of the economy, as a matter of fact it might help the dragon economy. There's no real drawback to having unnamed dragons in the coli, it doesnt negatively effect any portion of the gameplay (unnamed exalts I do not consider a con, naming before you sell negates that easily with no added pain to anyone), and so theres no real reason not to have it in my honest opinion.
@Caliphone
As I stated at the end of my previous post NoName/Nameless has the connotation that a dragon may have had a name before, but either lost/forgot it, or is hiding their name from the other dragons. Unknown suggests the dragon is literally unknown, as in no one knows about them. Which for my dragon is untrue, hes a part of the clan, they all know him, he simply doesnt have a name yet. So although all of those are useable by the coli, they dont fit what I need. I know its a bit pedantic, but i really want to go in their with a truely unnamed dragon. Theres no room for wibbling with unnamed, it can only mean that a dragon has yet to recieve or find a name.

Also no offense but Im going to assume you're not too big into dom, and/or dont partake too much in heated dom battles. Some of the people here pretty much make that their livelihood, they live and breath this stuff, kinda like some extreme sports fans. Ive seen fully expanded exalting lairs that booted even their progens, just to have 200 empty slots for dom battles. Between those times they gain money to buy fodder by maxing out fairgrounds everyday. I'm also pretty sure I saw a flight loose a dom battle by 1 dragon. 1 lousy dragon stopped them from winning. 200 slots x 2 seconds is 400 seconds or almost 7 minutes per lair purge, provided they dont do anymore then that. Thats 12 or 13 dragons that didnt get exalted. Multiply that by however many dozens are participating in dom and the number is reaching into the hundreds. Even when not all the lairs are maxed out to the extreme, we're still talking about the equivelent of several hundred to possibly several thousand dragons worth of time lost over the week.

Consider that even if a major exalt lair only has 100 spaces, 6 dragons lost per lair purge x however many times they clean out their lair per day, lets say its only a double up, thats 12 dragons lost per day. Multiply that by 7 makes 84 dragons lost per week, multiply that by even 10 people that are dom heavy in a single flight and your already closing in on close to 1000 dragons worth of time lost over the week. And Im pretty sure the number of people that are dom heavy per flight is well over 10, and Im also pretty sure that some of the more hard core dom people can flip an entire lair more then twice per day, we're looking at thousands of dragons that could have been exalted, but werent.

If unnamed were to be allowed in coli, we would be seeing some far more epic dom battles, and we'd also see a lot more dragons exalted, something which the site needs to be honest, as we have too many dragons and its rather difficult for most people to sell them unless they are fodder priced.

But above all that its the principle of the matter. Why should I or anyone be resitricted in how we want to play with our dragons? I dont think allowing unnamed in the coli would particularly harm any portion of the economy, as a matter of fact it might help the dragon economy. There's no real drawback to having unnamed dragons in the coli, it doesnt negatively effect any portion of the gameplay (unnamed exalts I do not consider a con, naming before you sell negates that easily with no added pain to anyone), and so theres no real reason not to have it in my honest opinion.
#UnnamedIsValid
Unnamed dragons need love too! There is no shame in having unnamed permas, having dragons with unnamed parents and/or offspring, or exalting unnamed dragons! Leaving dragons unnamed is a perfectly valid playstyle!

she/her or they/them
[quote name="@Caliphone" date="2018-09-21 15:58:20" ] I don't understand what's so hard about naming a dragon if you want to spend the time training it up. It takes about 2 seconds to click "name" > "random" > "ok" - not that much time considering how many minutes/hours it'll take to train the thing [/quote] As others have said, what is so hard about the breeder doing that before they sell? HOwever, there is a HUGE flaw in your argument: the random name generator. It has some absolutely HORRID names in it. The dragons I train are MY dragons. I bred them. I own the parents. I HATE the random name generator on site. I am VERY picky about names, so picky I can go through a hundred names (quite literally) before I find ONE I like. I have had dragons sit in my lair unnamed for MONTHS because I simply did not have the energy to name all of them. I could have easily have trained them while I was waiting, but because of this, I couldn't Why shouldn't I be allowed to train *my* dragons (and this is whether I bought or bred them) and choose the name after wards? Why is it only training that requires a name? Bottom line is, unless there actually is a coding reason why we don't have this (which I honestly don't know, and won't know until the developers themselves tell us), I see no reason why. Users who dislike unnamed dragons in their lists already have the tool needed to prevent them: the random name generator. If they can't be bothered to use it (no matter the reason, after the first time it happens, it should be seen as a learning experience), then why should I be punished for that choice. I sympathize with new players who don't realize it can happen and people who accidentally exalt their own dragons unnamed. However, I feel a better way to go would be a more extensive tutorial on naming and what rights the breeder has to any dragons they sell (namely, none). I personally would prefer to not have unnamed in my lists, so I name every dragon I sell, except in a few instances. It is a hassle due to my slow naming ability, but it is also worth it to prevent unnamed from showing up in my offspring lists. When you get right down to it, 6K, for a dragon you are going to keep is a drop in the bucket. It is about the same price as one hatchling sold for fodder. Less than 10 minutes of shock switch. If a player wants to keep the dragon, it is fairly easy to change the name if they don't like it. For players who do feel bad about making the new owner pay for a name change, they could offer to pay for it themselves. Or sell through the forums, and make sure that the new owner sends a name before you send the dragon to them. There are many more ways to be proactive about this issue and still be considerate of the new owner.
@Caliphone wrote on 2018-09-21 15:58:20:

As others have said, what is so hard about the breeder doing that before they sell?

HOwever, there is a HUGE flaw in your argument: the random name generator. It has some absolutely HORRID names in it. The dragons I train are MY dragons. I bred them. I own the parents. I HATE the random name generator on site. I am VERY picky about names, so picky I can go through a hundred names (quite literally) before I find ONE I like. I have had dragons sit in my lair unnamed for MONTHS because I simply did not have the energy to name all of them. I could have easily have trained them while I was waiting, but because of this, I couldn't

Why shouldn't I be allowed to train *my* dragons (and this is whether I bought or bred them) and choose the name after wards? Why is it only training that requires a name?

Bottom line is, unless there actually is a coding reason why we don't have this (which I honestly don't know, and won't know until the developers themselves tell us), I see no reason why. Users who dislike unnamed dragons in their lists already have the tool needed to prevent them: the random name generator. If they can't be bothered to use it (no matter the reason, after the first time it happens, it should be seen as a learning experience), then why should I be punished for that choice.

I sympathize with new players who don't realize it can happen and people who accidentally exalt their own dragons unnamed. However, I feel a better way to go would be a more extensive tutorial on naming and what rights the breeder has to any dragons they sell (namely, none).

I personally would prefer to not have unnamed in my lists, so I name every dragon I sell, except in a few instances. It is a hassle due to my slow naming ability, but it is also worth it to prevent unnamed from showing up in my offspring lists.

When you get right down to it, 6K, for a dragon you are going to keep is a drop in the bucket. It is about the same price as one hatchling sold for fodder. Less than 10 minutes of shock switch. If a player wants to keep the dragon, it is fairly easy to change the name if they don't like it. For players who do feel bad about making the new owner pay for a name change, they could offer to pay for it themselves. Or sell through the forums, and make sure that the new owner sends a name before you send the dragon to them. There are many more ways to be proactive about this issue and still be considerate of the new owner.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote]Nameless is the fact that -right now- a being has no name. It might have been named at some point, might have had a self chosen name, and lost or given up its name along its lifes way. Or been unnamed all along.[/quote] No. It does not mean that. They are both adjectives (descriptions of a noun). They mean the same thing (in English). They both literally mean "having no name" or "not having a name." There is a difference, but that bit not included in that very fine line. If an individual wants to see it as meaning something different, then that's fine. But not naming a dragon "nameless" is as much on the owner as people who don't name their dragons before selling them. If you want to train a dragon without a name, Nameless is valid. It means the same thing. To be without a name. [quote]They also don't sound the same, some people might like the ring "Unnamed" has more, while other might prefer "Nameless".[/quote] And I think that's the most legitimate complaint in Unnamed v. Nameless. Names are all about 99% aesthetic around here anyway. EDIT: [quote]#UnnamedIsValid[/quote] I mean, I don't disagree. But nothing in this suggestion is going to take away what it is that people don't like about unnamed dragons. Unnamed is a banned name. The title of this thread is basically saying, "Change your opinion even though we've not really given you any reason to!" to the people who dislike unnamed dragons.
Quote:
Nameless is the fact that -right now- a being has no name. It might have been named at some point, might have had a self chosen name, and lost or given up its name along its lifes way. Or been unnamed all along.
No. It does not mean that. They are both adjectives (descriptions of a noun). They mean the same thing (in English). They both literally mean "having no name" or "not having a name." There is a difference, but that bit not included in that very fine line. If an individual wants to see it as meaning something different, then that's fine. But not naming a dragon "nameless" is as much on the owner as people who don't name their dragons before selling them. If you want to train a dragon without a name, Nameless is valid. It means the same thing. To be without a name.

Quote:
They also don't sound the same, some people might like the ring "Unnamed" has more, while other might prefer "Nameless".
And I think that's the most legitimate complaint in Unnamed v. Nameless. Names are all about 99% aesthetic around here anyway.

EDIT:
Quote:
#UnnamedIsValid
I mean, I don't disagree.

But nothing in this suggestion is going to take away what it is that people don't like about unnamed dragons. Unnamed is a banned name. The title of this thread is basically saying, "Change your opinion even though we've not really given you any reason to!" to the people who dislike unnamed dragons.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
1 2 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 162 163