Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | learning new language is tiring and fun.
1 2 3
hey a language thread! we should totally have one!!
i totally know what you mean by the mental exhaustion. for me studying my languages can be really addicting and so the drained feeling feels impeding, but i take it to mean that my time has been well spent.

i've been self-studying Japanese off and on for some years and i'm somewhere intermediate, and i more recently picked up Finnish after years of interest over it so i'm still very new to that. anyone else here know/are learning/interested in either of these languages?
hey a language thread! we should totally have one!!
i totally know what you mean by the mental exhaustion. for me studying my languages can be really addicting and so the drained feeling feels impeding, but i take it to mean that my time has been well spent.

i've been self-studying Japanese off and on for some years and i'm somewhere intermediate, and i more recently picked up Finnish after years of interest over it so i'm still very new to that. anyone else here know/are learning/interested in either of these languages?
sEBxtxA.png thDLJf3.png eGiN2Xv.png
I would totally be down for having a language thread too.. I am trying to pursue learning my first second language.. and it's exhausting. I just have no idea how people can do it! It really is amazing.. I think it would help my motivation if I had a small group to talk about it with though!

Share ideas and suggestions on how to do it.
@stormspecter
I would totally be down for having a language thread too.. I am trying to pursue learning my first second language.. and it's exhausting. I just have no idea how people can do it! It really is amazing.. I think it would help my motivation if I had a small group to talk about it with though!

Share ideas and suggestions on how to do it.
@stormspecter
C5gD3QO.gif
TPONzCn.png
@PixelSpiral Mi estas ne studento la Esperanto... Mi lernon malgrande. Ne komprenon. I really hope I worded that right off memory.

I wanted to learn Maori when I was in New Zealand briefly; got signed up for the course and everything, but unfortunately fell through and had to go back to Australia. I do have a very, very choppy understanding of Japanese, but nowhere near enough to form a sentence. Pretty much just a straight up English speaker here, unless trying to dabble in making my own conglang as a teenager got me anywhere.
@PixelSpiral Mi estas ne studento la Esperanto... Mi lernon malgrande. Ne komprenon. I really hope I worded that right off memory.

I wanted to learn Maori when I was in New Zealand briefly; got signed up for the course and everything, but unfortunately fell through and had to go back to Australia. I do have a very, very choppy understanding of Japanese, but nowhere near enough to form a sentence. Pretty much just a straight up English speaker here, unless trying to dabble in making my own conglang as a teenager got me anywhere.
Bb9XFYa.png
xrdZoYH.png
pZJYyk4.png
sbmtjDC.png
kncGB4g.gif
suFrgfl.png
l8NOdbs.png
ZwbGqUa.png
ElKYM7J.png
Y7MOfeL.png
GdVZ87H.png
SZfmfRv.png
I finished my required years of french, thank god lol. My teachers were good, but one was kinda bad at teaching (but really fun) and the other was kinda scary. The latter turned out to be ok though, she brought her lizard to school lol

I kinda want to learn arabic, but i only know like 2 sentences. oops
I finished my required years of french, thank god lol. My teachers were good, but one was kinda bad at teaching (but really fun) and the other was kinda scary. The latter turned out to be ok though, she brought her lizard to school lol

I kinda want to learn arabic, but i only know like 2 sentences. oops
sihn_by_cloud__runner-dce2e49.png
This summer I'm planning on finally getting started with learning Japanese. I already have a Duolingo account with a bunch of languages but I never stuck with learning for an extended amount of time.
I'm already bilingual/biliterate and currently studying Latin.

I also agree that a language thread would be helpful for motivation.

Question for other language learners: Have you ever used HelloTalk before? Did it help progress your knowledge of the language?
This summer I'm planning on finally getting started with learning Japanese. I already have a Duolingo account with a bunch of languages but I never stuck with learning for an extended amount of time.
I'm already bilingual/biliterate and currently studying Latin.

I also agree that a language thread would be helpful for motivation.

Question for other language learners: Have you ever used HelloTalk before? Did it help progress your knowledge of the language?
I took German in high school and remember some of it. I still want to go visit Germany eventually.

I was otherwise teaching myself Serbian with Memrise, which worked pretty well, although the app is limited in ways it can teach me, and learning got harder since all I was doing was memorizing without really using what I was learning. If I practiced it verbally it might have been easier.

I've also been learning coding languages the last few months but that's a different ball of wax lmao
I took German in high school and remember some of it. I still want to go visit Germany eventually.

I was otherwise teaching myself Serbian with Memrise, which worked pretty well, although the app is limited in ways it can teach me, and learning got harder since all I was doing was memorizing without really using what I was learning. If I practiced it verbally it might have been easier.

I've also been learning coding languages the last few months but that's a different ball of wax lmao
lightningshieldl.png ePOliyb.png
Oo1lWlZ.png
QQYyU47.png
gYW0j5f.png
FObX7rS.png
rix3ppo.png
Zeke/KitKat
lightninganim3.gif
6KQB58c.png
G5AOhhN.png
cTFAUOc.png
oaolHwW.png
1AKTlm5.png
qFgWn8o.png
GFMPnvG.png
lightningshieldr.png
[quote name="BlackStatic" date="2018-06-18 12:15:57" ] @ PixelSpiral Mi estas ne studento la Esperanto... Mi lernon malgrande. Ne komprenon. I really hope I worded that right off memory. [/quote] ooh i know enough esperanto apparently to understand what you said. had to read slowly though
BlackStatic wrote on 2018-06-18 12:15:57:
@ PixelSpiral Mi estas ne studento la Esperanto... Mi lernon malgrande. Ne komprenon. I really hope I worded that right off memory.
ooh i know enough esperanto apparently to understand what you said. had to read slowly though
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
After having spent two semesters trying out French and Spanish on a college level, I can understand the burnout after a while. Though at the same time I really want to get back into the french book that's still laying around since language books cannot be returned for some reason.
After having spent two semesters trying out French and Spanish on a college level, I can understand the burnout after a while. Though at the same time I really want to get back into the french book that's still laying around since language books cannot be returned for some reason.
dyk3ud.jpg
I take Japanese as a class and it's so fun but it's a lot to take in sometimes! Independently I study German and a little Ukrainian and they're a lot of fun and hard work too! Languages are so cool.
I take Japanese as a class and it's so fun but it's a lot to take in sometimes! Independently I study German and a little Ukrainian and they're a lot of fun and hard work too! Languages are so cool.
zbWELyv.png
tuDXykQ.png
TTd5qF8.png
wmaQkkP.png
sapphire/jekyll
he/she
fr time+3
commissions
I have an intermediate level of understanding of Russian because of my family, but I took 2 semesters of German which was neat but it drained me too lol. I'd like to pick it up again eventually though because I forgot most of it now
I have an intermediate level of understanding of Russian because of my family, but I took 2 semesters of German which was neat but it drained me too lol. I'd like to pick it up again eventually though because I forgot most of it now
tumblr[/center]
1 2 3